Start by marking “Juniper” as Want to Read:
Juniper

Juniper (Doran #2)

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,172 Ratings  ·  150 Reviews
The only child of the king of Cornwall, Juniper lives the life of luxury and ease that befits a medieval princess. Still, something compels her to leave the palace to take up a difficult life of study with godmother, Euny. The harsh but wise woman proceeds to teach the girl about herbs, healing, and the magic within nature.

It is not until Juniper returns home a year and a
Published February 24th 2004 by Random House Children's Books (first published May 1st 1990)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsVampire Academy by Richelle MeadGraceling by Kristin CashoreCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsCity of Bones by Cassandra Clare
Strong Heroine Series
328th out of 1,197 books — 1,962 voters
Red Rising by Pierce BrownHaunted Tree by Scott Robert SchellerHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. RowlingA Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le GuinJulie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
Level Up
39th out of 46 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Casey
I loved this book even more than I loved Wise Child. It made me want to learn about herbs. It made me want to learn how to use a spinning wheel. You know what? I did learn a bit about herbs, mostly how to cook with them. And I still think it would be badass if I owned a spinning wheel.
Rhapsody
May 22, 2007 Rhapsody rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: imaginative girls
Gorgeous book. When I read it as a kid, it blew me away--I'd had no idea that a book could give one such a magical experience. This was one of the definitive reads of my childhood and one of my first exposures to the fantasy genre.
Nancy O'Toole
After suffering a bit from book ADD (you know, you pick book after book from your shelf and nothing is quite right) I figured the safest path for reading satisfaction was to pick up an old favorite. That’s how I found my way to Juniper, one of my first young adult books, first experienced when I was in middle school (which, I’m beginning to realize, was a pretty long time ago). It tells the story of a young girl named, Ninnoc, only child of King Mark of Cornwall. Ninnoc starts off the story livi ...more
Danni Green
Feb 18, 2016 Danni Green rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-ever
This is the best book in the whole world. It was the best book in the world when I read it 119732933014 times as a child, and it is the best book in the world today after not having read it since at least half my life ago. I loved it every bit as much as I did when I was young; it was easy to see why I read it so often, and the ways in which it shaped me as a human being. Reading it again gave me chills in all the right places. I may have to just read it again every few weeks like I used to!
Madeline
I loved Juniper more than Wise Child when I was little, perhaps because Juniper is a book about a princess and I was a girl who liked princesses. But also, Juniper's petulance is much more understandable than Wise Child's, because it's much harder to be Euny's student. Well, it's difficult to learn from Zen masters (at least Euny never hits Juniper).

Furlong's writing is quite richly allusive, the gestures are effective at suggesting a world beyond the one on the page. I don't quite know why thes
Dorothea
Good, but not as satisfying as Wise Child, perhaps because Wise Child raises some expectations about Juniper's story that aren't quite met. I'd forgotten that Maeve the Fair doesn't ever appear here; we don't learn how Juniper came to be the Red Doran, or why it was her destiny to live in Scotland. It's easy to see why -- Juniper is a story about Juniper's childhood and her first experience of adult powers (just as Wise Child is about that part of Juniper's pupil's life), and of course Juniper d ...more
Maya
Mar 15, 2015 Maya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Juniper is simply an amazing book. It also really is a big part of me, and I seriously lived by it. I read this when I was about nine years old, and back then I was a kind of isolated from the other children. This book had an amazing influence on me. I have read it so many times I can't even remember.
And actually, only now I see that Juniper is the second book in the series, because I read it before Wise Child, which is probably why I don't share the opinion of those who say they think this boo
Aelvana
The only child of a king and queen, Ninnoc has been blessed with education as well as luxury. But the traces of power in her are calling her towards a different destiny than to inherit the throne. When she goes to train with her godmother, she hopes to learn the secrets of the doran. Instead, she's mostly taught healing artes. Will her power be enough against the evil magic set against her father's kingdom?

First of all, ignore the series number. I read this first because it's listed as a prequel
Julie
May 13, 2015 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book but felt that the storyline was a somewhat predictable coming-of-age tale - separation, transformation, and return. The medieval setting, characters, and fantasy elements were all appealing, though, and I plan on reading the sequels to see what happens to Juniper and Gamal and the other residents of Cornwall.
Joey
May 13, 2016 Joey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the first book I read in the Doran series.
Wow did I ever love it!!!!
Seriously it may well have gotten a 5/5 from me... but yes, then came Wise Child and, disloyal as it sounds, WC was just better.

So saying!
This is a lovely book! It's wonderful to go along on Juniper's journey to become a Doran, from her cold and painful hardships to her pig blood-covered triumphs!
It's such a relate-to-able book and never gets preachy or puts down other views or religions. It just opens your mind a
Caitlin
3 stars simply because I liked Wise Child better. Juniper is still a wonderful read.
Koen
May 19, 2016 Koen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 sterren, het verhaal is redelijk simpel met duidelijke thema's over goed en kwaad. Maar het is een kinderboek en ik weet nog hoe leuk en interessant ik dit boek vond toen ik het als kind las. Ik denk dat er zelfs voor volwassenen nog wat wijze lessen in zitten.

4 Stars, the story is relatively simple with rather clear themes centering around good and evil. Still, this is a children's book and I remember how much I liked this book when I read it as a child. I think even adults can learn somethin
Raj
Nov 11, 2013 Raj rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
loved this book!
Minh
Jan 26, 2015 Minh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I felt a sudden urge to read A Year and A Day again, before realising that it was impossible to find an eBook version of this series! So instead it become a trawl through the depths of Amazon and Abebooks to locate a copy, along with Wise Child the original/sequel that I never read.

Still so satisfying, it was teaching me important facts about being a women in the a man's world, that being a girl didn't matter if you wanted to do something. Also, I still totally want to learn how to spin wool!
Nicole
As a child, and later as a young adult, I loved this book, and its sequel, Wise Child. The colors and textures of the story stood out vividly to me, and I felt the early-Christian landscape of Cornwall come alive in my imagination. The descriptions of textiles and smells, the pervasive cold and discomfort Juniper endures as she apprentices to Euny, and the subtle magic she endowed her witches with have all stayed with me through the years. Juniper and Wise Child are no Harry Potter, however, and ...more
Clare Fitzgerald
Jan 09, 2014 Clare Fitzgerald rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So far I have been reading some pretty short books this year! My latest was a reread of Monica Furlong’s Juniper, which I got out of the library several times when I was younger. It’s a prequel to Wise Child, which I owned and read dozens if not hundreds of times, and which I still own; and it’s the story of how Wise Child’s teacher Juniper became a doran—a witch, essentially.

The Wise Child books take place in mostly-pagan early-medieval Cornwall, which is awesome. Juniper takes place in a small
Juushika
The prequel to Wise Child, Juniper is the story of Ninnoc, know as Juniper, a medieval princess sent to apprentice under her godmother. Juniper leaves her friends, family, and the comforts of her father's small palace to live with Euny, her grandmother, in a small cold shack on the edge of the kingdom. Under Euny's care she toils throughout the day, eats little, and sleeps poorly, all with the promise that, in time, Euny will teach her the knowledge and ways of a doran, the women of the world wh ...more
Amanda
Jul 23, 2015 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had a very interesting plot and it was very suspenseful and really enjoyable. Being the fangirl I had really hoped that Juniper would hook up with one of the other characters. It was fine that she didn't though, because the book was nice anyway, unlike how twilight would have been without Edward... I focused on the powers of Juniper and how she could gain more and learn how to use them and overall control them. It is very nice to know more about her after the First Doran book, "Wise Child".
Minh
Jan 26, 2015 Minh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I was saddened during my research to find out that Ms Furlong had actually passed away in 2003. That said, this book is actually the 2nd part (although being a prequal) of a trilogy, the other two parts I will pick up as soon as I can.

It's a book I got as a birthday present years ago and is one of the few children's novels which I've kept from my actual childhood. The story is about a child named Juniper (which is the title of the new editions) and her journey to becoming a powerful witch (I ca
Rose Heartfilia
As I said with the review about Wise Child this is one of my favourit series and I've read it many times when I was younger and I always borrowed them from the library. Now I have my own copies.

I take back that I think it was weird that Wise Child was the first one of the series. I think it's a good idea to first read Wise Child and next Juniper. You know Juniper her future and you learn to know her better. I called her a mountain but it's funny to read that she was actually not much of a diffe
Nicole
Mar 26, 2008 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kristin, lisa, mary? & julie?
This is another favorite from my childhood. I just re-read it and it's predecessor "Wise Child". It, like the latter, is just as good as I remembered it. It's a great read even for adults with strong female characters and an absorbing story. "Wise Child" should definitely be read first. This one is quite as good as "Wise Child", but definitely worthwhile. The third book that continues the story after "Wise Child" called "Colman" was written many years after the others when the author was elderly ...more
Ilana
Aug 18, 2009 Ilana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg-and-ya, fantasy
Juniper is the prequel to Wise Child, and it is better in some ways and not as good in others. In some aspects it seemed a little too similar to Wise Child. It also didn't seem as real as Wise Child did. The setting felt more fantasy in some way. Apart from that, I loved the discription and characters just as much as the in Wise Child, and I loved the fact that you get to see Juniper grow up. It might not have been quite gradual enough, almost like one minute Juniper was a child and the next she ...more
Dani
Sep 24, 2014 Dani rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book as much as I loved Wise Child--very much! You know those teachers that you had when you were little who were gentle AND excellent teachers? That's what this book seemed like to me. There's nothing too stressful in it and yet it is still exciting. There's just something really lovely about these books.
QuincyK
Great story about hard work and courage. I forgot how many sort-of shamanic aspects there were to it.

And I love the female relationships - there are a few mother/daughter relationships and then teacher/student relationships

Very frank discussion of emotions, jealousy, anger, calm, fear, bravery
Jennifer Rasmussen rupp
This was one of my favorite books as a young girl- I love that now my son at about the same age is enjoying the same story. I feel like this book helped open up my interest in herbs and the natural healing world which I am now pursuing as an adult and passing on to my children.
Eileen
Mar 20, 2014 Eileen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, fantasy-scifi
I've read both this and the first book in the series several times, and I really like them. They fall into the "books I will read over and over again" category. Lots of excellent details, compelling story, and a strong female main character: yes, that's what I want.
Jocelyn
This one was lacking something. I think it was probably good Furlong didn't make these into a crazy long series, but you could tell there was so much more to Juniper's story (that didn't quite add up with what we learned in the first book).
Rasilverstorm
May 10, 2016 Rasilverstorm rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-reading this book reminds me of why I picked it up as a kid. The characters and how you start to feel for the main character as the book progresses. As an adult it's still just as good, in a different way.
Erin Beckwith
Apr 04, 2010 Erin Beckwith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honesty is the best policy they say so here it is: I loved Wise Child, but I didn't love this book. Of course, that's just reading it now for the first time as an adult where I read Wise Child for the first time as a tween (and re-read just last month). I really liked it, but I didn't love it. The plot in my opinion is a little more simple than that of Wise Child (or maybe it's the other way around) and in someway that made me like it a little less.

I will say though: if you love the world of Wis
Lian Beijers
Sep 16, 2015 Lian Beijers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book stayed with me since I read it as a girl. I ordered so I can re-read it occasionally. This is definitely a keeper for the book collection.
  • Quest for a Maid
  • Hasse Simonsdochter
  • Floddertje
  • The Moorchild
  • The Forestwife (Forestwife Saga, #1)
  • Geheimen van het Wilde Woud
  • White Jenna (Great Alta, #2)
  • Nooit de buren bijten
  • Het onzichtbare licht
  • Zwarte sneeuw
  • Black Unicorn (Unicorn, #1)
  • Bruises
Obituary from The Guardian, Friday January 17 2003
by Michael De-la-Noy

Monica Furlong, who has died of cancer aged 72, would have achieved distinction through her writings alone. But she was always on the lookout for good causes to espouse, and once she had thrown in her lot with the Movement for the Ordination of Women, and with the aims of secular feminism in general, she became to many women - a
More about Monica Furlong...

Doran (3 books)