Vampires

Vampires

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  1,528 ratings  ·  133 reviews
The cult classic is back?for fans who like their vampire hunters hard-boiled.

You don?t just kill vampires for the money?you do it for the satisfaction. You do it because somebody has to. You do it no matter what it does to you. And you drink?a lot. Some jobs just suck. This one bites.

But nobody does it better than Jack Crow, the leader of VAMPIRE$ Inc. His crack team of h...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Roc Trade (first published May 5th 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampires

Dirk Grobbelaar
The visceral no-nonsense writing on display here might not appeal to literary snobs or self-appointed connoisseurs of horror haute cuisine, but it certainly gets the job done. Encounters with the Vampires of the title are heart-stopping affairs. They are feisty fiends: fast, inhumanly strong and very vicious. They’re also not in the least interested in being your boyfriend (or girlfriend).

It’s a gritty story, filled with blood, sweat and Texas dust; one where listening to Stevie Ray Vaughn may j...more
Stephen
3.5 stars. Don't start this book looking for a more detailed version of the John Carpenter film. Except for the opening scene which is fairly similar in both the book and the movie, the book is completely different (and much better). Nothing high brow here, Jack Crow (and later his buddy Felix) are hard drinking, foul talking, ill-mannered "western" type tough guys who track and kill vampires for a living. This is pretty typical "action hero" type stuff (I was reminded of Nick Nolte in 48 hours...more
Bryan

Not a perfect book, and it's not like I'm well-read when it comes to Vampire novels, but I highly recommend this one. Don't bother with that Twilight stuff, here's the real blood and guts (and spines and viscera and...)

So what's so great about the book?

1) The creatures. There are various levels of vampires, and all of them are bloodthirsty fiends. They start as goons (basically shambling zombies), then graduate up to vampire status, and finally "master" vampire. Superbly chilling monsters - they...more
Mark
Nov 12, 2007 Mark rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire fans
Shelves: horror
Vampire$ is the second book by John Steakley. If the character names are familiar, it's because they are recycled from his previous novel, "Armor". Jack Crow, instead of being a famous space pirate, is now the leader of a group that hunts and kills vampires for profit. Felix, rather than being an expert ant-killer, is now a gunman.

The Plot:
Jack Crow leads a Vatican-subsidized band of mercenaries whose sole purpose is to kill vampires. Usually, vampires invade a small town and then sort of spread...more
Monica Medina
Seriously. This is my all time favorite book. I've had to buy it three times because I read it over and over and eventually the binding wears out and the pages fall out.

It's not a great literary find. It's not going to change the world. It's about vampire hunters. But I loved every character, I love the story the author told, I cared what happened.

It could be that it was my age when I read it. Whatever. I love Team Crow. And I still do.
Mike (the Paladin)
My first take here is to say...This is a great idea, maybe someday someone will write a book about it. Of course, Monster Hunter International is already out there.

I've said a couple of things I'm going to say here before, about other books. This one makes me sad. As I've said before, I really wanted to like this book. And also as I've said before, the book is a mixed bag. There are some very good parts then again there are some parts that I found so stultifyingly slow I could have screamed. Whe...more
Terence
May 31, 2012 Terence rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Terence by: Roberto
Shelves: horror-gothic
The Good
The vampires: The vampires of John Steakley’s Vampires are TOUGH! At night they are nearly unstoppable killing machines, and even during the day, as long as they avoid direct sunlight, these SOBs are hard to kill. At one point, a master vampire has two arbalest bolts in him and falls 20 stories but still manages to walk away. It’s not hard to understand why these vampires would be at the top of the undead food chain.

The mental trauma: Steakley is at his best writing about the mental tor...more
Colleen
A little on the fence with this book and not sure I can put my finger on what was wrong with it. Parts of it were rousing adventure/horror; other parts not so much. I grew tired fast with all the tears and uber testosterone weep-fests that occured after every vampire encounter. And I found vast chunks of the book as weirdly sentimental as Beth's death in Little Women.

Also the style of writing is a little florid. Don't get me wrong, the writing is a cut above most books like this, but poorly edi...more
Seth Skorkowsky
I picked up Vampire$ on audio and fell in love with it on the opening line:

"I know fucking well there's a God because I kill vampires for a living. Are you listening? I kill vampires for money. A lot of it. So don't tell me there ain't no God. I know fucking well there's a God. I just don't understand Him."

For starters, this book starts off very similar to the John Carpenter movie, but then quickly goes off into an entirely different story. Vampire$ is a beautiful mixture of pure gory horror and...more
Naten
When James Woods asked John Carpenter for a copy of the script to the movie based on this novel, the director should have just handed him the book. Written with such a visual style and with such suspense, it could have been the best vampire movie ever made. As it stands, this is simply the best vampire book ever written.
Gouty
It is a pity that one can not give negative stars on Good Reads. Actually it is possibly an abomination even writing about this book on a site called Good Reads. Well, I am just too lazy to surf the web looking for: www.ohgodwhydidIwasteprecioushoursofm... thiswhenIcouldhavebeendoingsomethingbetterlikecryingandmasturbating.com.

This is one of those rare instances where one can say whole heartedly that the movie was better than the book. The movie was crap, but it had its pluses. It only took 108...more
Amity
I'm not sure what people who regularly read this stuff will think, but for someone who isn't into horror/thriller/Ann Rice I am shocked that I loved it. Brilliant. Lots of death, gore, swearing, and sex, and yet somehow I was never offended (though at times did have to put it down). Great characterization and great story. Author handled pacing very well - not so tense that you're worn out, yet definitely a page turner.

Tony
The basis of the John Carpenter movie "Vampires". All in all, while I am a big fan of JC's movies, I found the book far superior to the film. The story follows a small group of Vatican-funded vampire hunting mercenaries, and what happens when the vampires decide to hunt them instead. If you are tired of the "Lestat" type of vampire, I really suggest giving this a read.
Olethros
-Con la Iglesia hemos topado en algo parecido a un western vampírico.-

Género. Narrativa fantástica.

Lo que nos cuenta. Jack Crow dirige un equipo de exterminación de vampiros. Durante un trabajo en Indiana, y tras tener sus más y sus menos con las autoridades locales, el nido parece destruido, pero lo que sucede durante la posterior fiesta demuestra que no había sido así. Cuando Crow habla con su jefe en Roma, Su Santidad tiene claro que es necesario que Crow vuelva al trabajo y que forme un nue...more
Jesse
In this time of weiner emo/goth vamps, I need this book. I need a vampire story full of horror, gore, and vampires that don't want to love me and live viacarously(sp?) through me, but want to...oh I don't know...DRINK MY FUCKING BLOOD AND KILL ME!!! And by page 8 so far its great. The main character is a big tough bastard of a man who hunts vampires for money, and the vampires die in horroifying ways. And thats just on page 8. I can't wait to really get dug into this, it will sooth my soul. I do...more
Siew Ee
When I read this book, I couldn’t help thinking of “Vampires”, a western-horror film directed by John Carpenter in 1998. There are many parallels between book and movie, and for that reason, I enjoyed reading Vampire$, a totally un-Twilight story where you will find blood-sucking monsters which are disgustingly strong, nasty and totally incapable of human feelings of love and compassion. There’s plenty of blood and gore, and the actions scenes are thrilling.

Is this book worth 5-stars? Unfortuna...more
Julie Davis
#61 - 2010.

I read this based on Jesse's enthusiastic review. It has an interesting straight-forward style that I imagine does lend itself very well to an audiobook style. I find it compelling though I can't say why ... sort of like picking up a Western that you can't put down for some reason. Not that I really know what that is like. I must say that I appreciate the author's sympathetic look at the pontiff in this. (Yes, you read that right.)

I have much, much more to say which is covered in this...more
Craig
This is a very strange and challenging book, somewhat similar to his other novel, ARMOR, yet in ways vastly different. One confusing point that I didn't understand at all is that the two main characters in both novels have the same names, yet one is a far-future military space opera and the other a contemporary (well, twenty years old now) vampire novel. This one reads by turns like a horror novel, a mens' adventure book, and a study of interpersonal relationships. It's not much at all similar t...more
Tom
A cheesy, slightly enjoyable vampire book that they made a cheesy, less enjoyable vampire movie in the 90s with James Woods ("John Carpenter's Vampires").

The book plot and the movie plot completely diverge from each other after the initial couple of scenes. You might be best off avoiding both the movie and the book.

Disappointing, because Steakley's other novel Armor is one of my favs.
Bill
This could have been really good. Modern day vampire bounty hunters. A lot of people have raved about this novel but for the life of me I can't figure the appeal.
I really don't like his writing style. That must be it.
Steph
Good, gritty, gory, edgy, scary and exciting vampire story. Exactly what I was looking for. I wanted something with vampires that wasn't also about teenagers. Loads of foul language and some discussion of sexuality.

I especially appreciated the juxtaposition of the Catholic church and the vampires-- the old world evil vs. Catholic Christianity. The Pope's involvement and relationships was not overplayed, nor was it denigrating of religion.

Excellent vampire book.

My only complaint is the pacing of...more
Raegan Butcher
A must-read for fans of the genre. Excellent characterizations and a really funny and cynical sense of humor push this one to the top of the pile.Highly enjoyable.
Derek Pennycuff
Not as good as Armor, but an entertaining read, in an over the top 80s action movie sort of way. Speaking of movies, I was familiar with Carpenter's film adaptation. But had I not been I don't think I would have picked up on the relationship at all. Most of the character names are even different. Short of the methodology of harpooning a vampire and dragging them into the sunlight I can't really recall any strong connection between the works.

And it is refreshing to see vampire hunters who don't b...more
Dalton Lynne
Oskari
Alkuteoksen dollarimonikkopääte ja niin ikään kotimaisen implikaatio jahtiin antavat selkeän viitteen minkä tyylisestä vampyyritarinasta on kyse. Ei siirappia tai teiniromansseja eikä pitkiä monologeja ikuisen elämän piinaavuudesta, vaan kylmää karjan lahtausta puolin ja toisin. Lähdemateriaali ei kuitenkaan nouse juuri John Carpenterin heikkoa (ja rajusti muunneltua) elokuvasovitusta paremmaksi. Kokonaisuutena perin väljähtänyttä b-luokan toimintaviihdettä.

Yksi monista puutteista on olematon j...more
Cyn
Ema Thayer
I finished book in day or two.Not sure.John Steakely said on one occasion that movie had all of his language and none of the plot.Whoever saw movie and read book knows that is very,very true.Book is entirely different.Movie is severely badass,book is severely badass but story line has no mild similarity.John Carpenter did well calling movie Vampires by John Carpenter.It is so and book is Vampires by John Steakley.I like it that Steakly wrote his story without any restraints.He made story about h...more
Craig DiLouie
In VAMPIRES by John Steakley, the inspiration for the film of the same name by John Carpenter with James Woods in the role of Jack Crow, a crack team of vampire slayers hunts down and destroys vampires. After Jack’s team is slaughtered, he retrenches with a new recruit from the Vatican and a gunslinger who’s dead accurate with silver bullets. The vampires won’t go down easy, however; they have their own hit list, and intend to finish the job they started by wiping out Jack’s entire team.

The vamp...more
D.M. Dutcher (Sword Cross Rocket)
It's uneven and jumpy, and there's a lot of head-slapping plot twists. At least these are evil vampires.

Jack Crow hunts vampires on the Vatican's request. These vampires are pure monsters, and are nigh unstoppable. This doesn't do much for the turnover on Team Crow, nor their mental health. While on one job, a vampire shouts Crow's name, and soon he is suspicious that they are setting a trap for him. It's not like he can stop killing them though.

The blurb doesn't describe the book. It starts out...more
Little Mike
You know I really don't know why Steakley didn't write any more than two books. Both of them were very enjoyable. If you read Armor first then you'll notice some references to it in this book. A little kitschy but still amusing nonetheless.

Anyway, this is the book that the movie John Carpenter's Vampire$ is (loosely) based on. It's about a team of vampire hunters called Vampire$ Inc. headed by one Jack Crow. Jack is a veteran to vampire killing as he's been doing it for three years going... and...more
Cat 2 20 Jun 05, 2012 11:58AM
  • The Light at the End
  • Under the Fang (The Horror Writers of America)
  • Vampire Junction
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampires
  • Live Girls
  • The Empire of Fear
  • The Dracula Tape (Dracula Series, #1)
  • The Science of Vampires
  • The Cross-Time Engineer (Conrad Stargard, #1)
  • Vampyrrhic
  • Children of the Night
  • Agyar
  • Midnight Mass
  • Of Saints and Shadows (Shadow Saga #1)
  • Cold Streets (Vampire Files, #10)
  • 13 Bullets: A Vampire Tale
  • Hot Blood: Tales of Erotic Horror (Hot Blood, #1)
John Steakley, born 1951 in Cleburne, Texas, is an author, best known for his science fiction writing. He has written two major novels, Armor (1984) and Vampire$ (1991), the latter of which became the basis for John Carpenter's Vampires movie. He has also written several short stories in the sci-fi and fantasy genres. Not a prolific writer, he lived most of his life in Texas, aside from brief spel...more
More about John Steakley...
Armor