Start by marking “The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)

The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #3)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  3,420 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase faced enormous challenges as they scoured the globe looking for the lost city of Atlantis and the tomb of the legendary warrior Hercules. Now watch as they go in search of the most powerful of all swords, Excalibur.
Published 2008 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Of Excalibur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Of Excalibur

Red Wet Dirt by Nicholas GrabowskyHaunted Tree by Scott Robert SchellerSailor Moon, #11 by Naoko TakeuchiDracula by Bram StokerTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
my favourite books ever
25th out of 146 books — 22 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
2011 Summer Reading List
21st out of 50 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick Gibson
Jan 06, 2011 Patrick Gibson rated it did not like it
Should I comment on a book I didn’t finish? Oh, why the hell not.

I like brainless over-the-top action adventure stories. I’ve been reading Clive Cussler since he went down with the Titanic. I have a low threshold for stupid and don’t mind settling in for a tall tale whopper or two now and again.

That is why in a fit of madness I bought three Andy McDermott books at the same time. Flea market special: $5 for all. I made it through the first two (Atlantis & Hercules) by default. I couldn’t beli
Leslie Stokes
I have long been a fan of Arthurian legend, so I thought this mystery of trying to find Excalibur was neat. Unfortunately, the sword was found halfway through the book, and the rest of the story was devoted to Nina and Chase being pursued by people who wanted to take the sword. Too many descriptions of weapons and secret hideouts. I would have preferred more of the story be devoted to the clues and historic secrets that led to the finding of Excalibur.
Mike
Jun 04, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
And the non-stop action adventure continues. I love this series. One thing though, if you're looking for a deep novel, you won't find it here, this is pure unadulterated thrill ride.

Seriously, this is nothing more than an action movie in book form. It's easy to see who the bad guy is from almost the very beginning, the twists and turns are usually expected, but I'm glad to say that the final twist was one I didn't see coming at all. I really liked this book, I really like this series.

I know I s
Mark Muckerman
Jun 15, 2012 Mark Muckerman rated it liked it
After savaging The Tomb of Hercules, I must be fair and say that Excalibur is a profound improvement. Better character dialogue (though still weak and cliched), more balanced plot development and pacing, less absolutely ludicrous flights of fancy and requirements for an absolute suspension of disbelief, and also less hateful bickering between Chase & Nina. While I'm sure in the author's mind it's a necessary view into the relationship development, the actual writing in Hercules was so shallo ...more
Ryan Burt
May 22, 2012 Ryan Burt rated it really liked it
1) Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Adventure

3) Synopsis: Excalibur used to be the most powerful weapon of its time and can help create the most powerful weapon of today. Nina and Eddie race to find it to stop it from being used for bad.

4) Feelings: This is the third book in the Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series. All these books have a bit of the unbelievable in them. It is sort of like watching a James Bond movie. You just go in expecting action and adventure and try not to worry about belie
Vaelin
Sep 30, 2014 Vaelin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Largely a story of two very different halves....the second half far less enjoyable and became a bit of a struggle to finish in the end

Im a big fan of Clive Cussler and James Rollins and tried this one as McDermott is regularly mentioned in the same breath as several of the adventure titans, however I didn't enjoy this anywhere near as much as the aforementioned authors works.

The bickering between Wilde and Chase was mildly humorous at first and then became like nails down a chalkboard by the en
Joy
I'm not exactly familiar with all things Arthurian or Monty Python, but I still read on knowing I was in for a ride, and I wasn't disappointed.

It started with a tame setting, Nina about to meet Eddie's family, until a persuasive colleague of her parents' met her in Bournemouth. The action was nonstop after that, lots of murders, senseless deaths, it was an eye-opener for Chase - how far would one risk his life for a piece of old thing? In this novel's setting, it was a significant historical fin
Enzo
I have always liked the Chase & Wilde adventures. I wish Goodreads would allow HALF points I would have given it a 3.5. Reading about famous myths is even better. Excalibur carries a lot of stories attached that help the story. Couldn't help it had to watch "Excalibur" the 1981 film. I just wished McDermott would dedicate more time to the Arthurian legends to give more body to that part of the story instead of the non-stop action/adventure. All in all a good read.

Recommended to Action/Advent
Kirthi Kishore
I picked up this book a long time after I had read The Tomb of Hercules, which didn't exactly urge me on to continue reading the next book in the series. But, when I started reading this book, I hoped it would be better than its predecessor. And it has, to some extent. Coming to the story, Nana Wilde and Eddie Chase are pulled into a race-against-time kind of search for the lost sword of King Arthur, The Excalibur. I really enjoyed the first part of the book which puts forth the legend of King A ...more
Paula
Mar 30, 2016 Paula rated it liked it
Oh my goodness. The relationship dramas continue. As do the excessive action sequences and INCESSANT pun - making. Still a bit predictable, like the first two books, but McDermott did try and corkscrew things a little. And all the gap-filler was pretty interesting.

Chase is probably a good example of why so many military relationships end in divorce - his habit of using puns to avoid expressing his feelings is probably quite typical of an SAS man, but it would drive me a bit bonkers I think.

His
Philip Cook
Mar 07, 2011 Philip Cook rated it really liked it
This was a non-stop action ride from start to finish. It is the third book in the series for Nina and Chase. As with all of McDermot's book's it is a fast action ride. This book is not a deep thinker but is rather a fast action thrill ride that take a Robert Ludlum basis and adds a twist of ancient legends. If you have already read this series and enjoyed it check out Matt Reilly he has a great series with Jack West Jr.
Trish Wylie
Jan 26, 2014 Trish Wylie rated it liked it
I was drawn to this book by the title as any story involving the legend of King Arthur has always interested me. I also enjoy Indiana Jones/Lara Croft-type archaeology adventures and frequently watch action movies.

However, about 250 odd pages into this story, I found myself skimming over the car chase/shootings/characters in peril scenes, which, as the book progressed, got to the point where it felt like they were never-ending. Personally, I'd have preferred more character development but since
Santiago Oleas
Jul 16, 2011 Santiago Oleas rated it liked it
This is Andy McDermott's third book and at this point it seems like he's following a template and just switches out the legend and location but the story seems to be the same. If you have read the first two and are thinking of picking up this one, take a break before reading it so that you do not feel like you've seen it all before.
Janey
Aug 16, 2013 Janey rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the different locations that Eddie and Nina travelled to on their adventures to discover Excaliber. Especially liked the bit about the awful Imax cinema in Bournemouth (now thankfully demolished) and the car chase through Bournemouth Gardens which was good fun.
Michael Davies
Dec 23, 2009 Michael Davies rated it it was amazing
This is James Bond the Andy Mcdermott way, full of action and quirky one liners but not so sophisticated, and the character's tend to get a bit more then a bruis.
If you like action movies then you will enjoy his books. An quick easy read.
Hana
Apr 06, 2016 Hana rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
The scheme was the same as previous books so in this regard you cannot expect anything new. Still, it was fast paced, a bit funny and thrilling. It had two peaks as usual - the first peak was when they found the Excalibur and the second was at the end when they defeated the bad guy. What was somewhat interesting was that the bad guys were presented to be Russians, yet that was not true since it was their fellow American... in my opinion his turning coat twice was a bit too much... all in all I l ...more
Phyllis
Aug 07, 2010 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book.Have never ready anything by this author before. Am going to read the others in his series.
Lyn Richards
May 25, 2014 Lyn Richards rated it it was amazing
Oh wow.....what a fabulous story.....you know when you've read a terrific read when you still wonder what the characters might be up to now....

Andy McDermott took us along a fabulous journey, with the main characters of Nina and Eddie Chase.....the story weaves in fact and mythology in relation to King Arthur, Excalibur and Caliburn.....

I truly love reading a story that leaves me wanting more and also encourages me to research a little more about history.

This was a fast paced interesting read th
Mia
Aug 02, 2010 Mia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
Silly over the top action-adventure, but I'm really enjoying the series!
Emma
Feb 13, 2016 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: read-not-kept
Ok story but a bit long. It got a little tedious at times.
Josh
Dec 29, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Adventure/Thriller stories
This is the third book by Andy McDermott, and I enjoyed it much more than the 2nd book. For some reason, this one moved faster, was more interesting in terms of the subject matter, and there was one set piece after another. It was a breakneck read from start to finish. While I didn't fully understand some of the science involved, I did enjoy the story, the characters, and the action.

Once again Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are on the hunt for an historical object of massive significance to humanity
Mark Easter

A LEGENDARY WEAPON.
A RUTHLESS ASSASSIN.
A PERILOUS HUNT.

Excalibur . . . Legend has it that he who carries King Arthur’s mighty sword into battle will be invincible. But for more than a thousand years, the secret to the whereabouts of this powerful weapon has been lost . . . until now.

Archaeologist Nina Wilde is hoping for a little R&R with her fiancé, former SAS bodyguard Eddie Chase. But the couple’s plans are dashed when a meeting with an old acquaintance propels Nina and Eddie into a raz

Theresa
Oct 03, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it
A very exciting, but predictable adventure story. Heroine discovers artifact, bad guy steals it, placing heroine and world in danger, hero rescues heroine and saves world. But it’s non-stop pace, excellent descriptions and interesting historical usage make up for the sameness of the basic story.

They do travel to a lot of different locations, though at this rate they’re going to run out of cool places for the artifacts (and clues) to be found. And Mr. McDermott finds some very interesting ways
Randy
Aug 13, 2014 Randy rated it really liked it

A Legendary Weapon
... A Ruthless Assassin
... A Perilous Hunt

Historian Bernd Rust believes he can locate Excalibur...and that the sword is the key to harnessing an incredible source of energy.
Archaeologist Nina Wilde is hoping for a little R&R with her fiancé, for

Marilyn
Aug 21, 2011 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Indiana Jones fans, Arthurian myth lovers
The Secret of Excalibur
By Andy McDermott

Publisher: Bantam Books, U.S.