The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)

The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #3)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,130 ratings  ·  105 reviews
A Legendary Weapon
A Ruthless Assassin
A Perilous Hunt

Excalibur... Legend has it that he who carries King Arthur’s mighty sword into battle will be invincible. But for more than a thousand years, the secret to the whereabouts of this powerful weapon has been lost... until now.

Historian Bernd Rust believes he can locate Excalibur... and that the sword is the key to harnessin...more
Published 2008 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Of Excalibur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Of Excalibur

Sailor Moon, Vol. 11 by Naoko TakeuchiRed Wet Dirt by Nicholas GrabowskyDracula by Bram StokerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerIt Lives in The Basement by Sahara Foley
my favourite books ever
22nd out of 134 books — 15 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
2011 Summer Reading List
21st out of 50 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick Gibson
Should I comment on a book I didn’t finish? Oh, why the hell not.

I like brainless over-the-top action adventure stories. I’ve been reading Clive Cussler since he went down with the Titanic. I have a low threshold for stupid and don’t mind settling in for a tall tale whopper or two now and again.

That is why in a fit of madness I bought three Andy McDermott books at the same time. Flea market special: $5 for all. I made it through the first two (Atlantis & Hercules) by default. I couldn’t beli...more
Mike
And the non-stop action adventure continues. I love this series. One thing though, if you're looking for a deep novel, you won't find it here, this is pure unadulterated thrill ride.

Seriously, this is nothing more than an action movie in book form. It's easy to see who the bad guy is from almost the very beginning, the twists and turns are usually expected, but I'm glad to say that the final twist was one I didn't see coming at all. I really liked this book, I really like this series.

I know I s...more
Leslie Stokes
I have long been a fan of Arthurian legend, so I thought this mystery of trying to find Excalibur was neat. Unfortunately, the sword was found halfway through the book, and the rest of the story was devoted to Nina and Chase being pursued by people who wanted to take the sword. Too many descriptions of weapons and secret hideouts. I would have preferred more of the story be devoted to the clues and historic secrets that led to the finding of Excalibur.
Mark Muckerman
After savaging The Tomb of Hercules, I must be fair and say that Excalibur is a profound improvement. Better character dialogue (though still weak and cliched), more balanced plot development and pacing, less absolutely ludicrous flights of fancy and requirements for an absolute suspension of disbelief, and also less hateful bickering between Chase & Nina. While I'm sure in the author's mind it's a necessary view into the relationship development, the actual writing in Hercules was so shallo...more
Enzo
I have always liked the Chase & Wilde adventures. I wish Goodreads would allow HALF points I would have given it a 3.5. Reading about famous myths is even better. Excalibur carries a lot of stories attached that help the story. Couldn't help it had to watch "Excalibur" the 1981 film. I just wished McDermott would dedicate more time to the Arthurian legends to give more body to that part of the story instead of the non-stop action/adventure. All in all a good read.

Recommended to Action/Advent...more
Ryan Burt
1) Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Adventure

3) Synopsis: Excalibur used to be the most powerful weapon of its time and can help create the most powerful weapon of today. Nina and Eddie race to find it to stop it from being used for bad.

4) Feelings: This is the third book in the Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series. All these books have a bit of the unbelievable in them. It is sort of like watching a James Bond movie. You just go in expecting action and adventure and try not to worry about belie...more
Joy
I'm not exactly familiar with all things Arthurian or Monty Python, but I still read on knowing I was in for a ride, and I wasn't disappointed.

It started with a tame setting, Nina about to meet Eddie's family, until a persuasive colleague of her parents' met her in Bournemouth. The action was nonstop after that, lots of murders, senseless deaths, it was an eye-opener for Chase - how far would one risk his life for a piece of old thing? In this novel's setting, it was a significant historical fin...more
Philip Cook
This was a non-stop action ride from start to finish. It is the third book in the series for Nina and Chase. As with all of McDermot's book's it is a fast action ride. This book is not a deep thinker but is rather a fast action thrill ride that take a Robert Ludlum basis and adds a twist of ancient legends. If you have already read this series and enjoyed it check out Matt Reilly he has a great series with Jack West Jr.
Trish Wylie
I was drawn to this book by the title as any story involving the legend of King Arthur has always interested me. I also enjoy Indiana Jones/Lara Croft-type archaeology adventures and frequently watch action movies.

However, about 250 odd pages into this story, I found myself skimming over the car chase/shootings/characters in peril scenes, which, as the book progressed, got to the point where it felt like they were never-ending. Personally, I'd have preferred more character development but since...more
Santiago Oleas
This is Andy McDermott's third book and at this point it seems like he's following a template and just switches out the legend and location but the story seems to be the same. If you have read the first two and are thinking of picking up this one, take a break before reading it so that you do not feel like you've seen it all before.
Janey
Really enjoyed the different locations that Eddie and Nina travelled to on their adventures to discover Excaliber. Especially liked the bit about the awful Imax cinema in Bournemouth (now thankfully demolished) and the car chase through Bournemouth Gardens which was good fun.
Michael Davies
This is James Bond the Andy Mcdermott way, full of action and quirky one liners but not so sophisticated, and the character's tend to get a bit more then a bruis.
If you like action movies then you will enjoy his books. An quick easy read.
Phyllis
Really liked this book.Have never ready anything by this author before. Am going to read the others in his series.
Lyn Richards
Oh wow.....what a fabulous story.....you know when you've read a terrific read when you still wonder what the characters might be up to now....

Andy McDermott took us along a fabulous journey, with the main characters of Nina and Eddie Chase.....the story weaves in fact and mythology in relation to King Arthur, Excalibur and Caliburn.....

I truly love reading a story that leaves me wanting more and also encourages me to research a little more about history.

This was a fast paced interesting read th...more
Mia
Silly over the top action-adventure, but I'm really enjoying the series!
Randy

A Legendary Weapon
... A Ruthless Assassin
... A Perilous Hunt

Excalibur . . . Legend has it that he who carries King Arthur’s mighty sword into battle will be invincible. But for more than a thousand years, the secret to the whereabouts of this powerful weapon has been lost . . . until now.
Historian Bernd Rust believes he can locate Excalibur...and that the sword is the key to harnessing an incredible source of energy.
Archaeologist Nina Wilde is hoping for a little R&R with her fiancé, for

Marilyn
Aug 21, 2011 Marilyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Indiana Jones fans, Arthurian myth lovers
The Secret of Excalibur
By Andy McDermott

Publisher: Bantam Books, U.S.
Copyright: 2008 held by Andry McDermott
ISBN: 978-0-553-59295-5

Is the Arthurian myth true? Does Excalibur really exist? No way! It’s a fairy tale or is it? Where there is smoke there is fire? Hmmm…

The opening of our adventure begins in the Oval Office where Dr. Nina Wilde is being bestowed with a presidential honor for her work in uncovering Atlantis. It is here where we learn about Dr. Wilde’s character and that of her bodyguar...more
Chibineko
I'd started on this book a few weeks after finishing up with the previous adventure in the series, `Tomb of Hercules'. I know I've said this in my reviews for both of the previous books, but this would make an excellent tv series or movie. I liked this book so much that rather than wait for the book to be released, I tracked down a copy via ebay. (The book had been released previously in the UK.)

This particular entry has archeologist Nina & her heroic fiancé Eddie embarking on something trul...more
Jackie Bebbington
The Secret of Excalibur is the third book in the series by Andy McDermott that follows the adventures of Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase. As the third in the set it was in many ways similar to the first two books: ancient treasure, diabolical plan for world domination, good guy is actually on of the bad guys etc...

That is really my only complaint about it this book is that after reading his other books this one was fairly predictable in the way that the events would unfold.

That be said however as an...more
Beth Gibson
In general, an entertaining story. We have an American archaeologist/scientist who specializes in searching out hard evidence of ancient stories thought to be only myth. In a previous novel, she searches for and finds the lost city of Atlantis. Helping is her partner and future husband Eddie Chase, a dashing British gent. The book is written by an Englishman and I could tell the style before I read the back cover to confirm this is an English author. You will note some British vocabulary and dia...more
Tony
A definite step back in the right direction for Andy McDermott's action adventure series, The Secret of Excalibur, that for the most part wisely remembers to deliver on the promise of its title. Unlike in The Tomb of Hercules where the ancient mystery was sidelined for pseudo-Bond overblown action, here McDermott gets the balance more on track - Excalibur plays a significant part in proceedings, does indeed have an interesting secret that ties into the bigger ongoing mythology of the series, and...more
Joseph
After the Tomb of Hercules, I was a bit reluctant to keep going with the series, but I decided why not. It was a good choice I decided to keep reading because this book was maybe even better then the first. First thing is it had a perfect blend of archeology and action, though I know some people would say that's not archeology, and while it's more just going to places that's another topic. This book also had some actual funny moments and interesting characters. Especially the bad guys. The only...more
Abhay
Rating 3.5.
A good action packed movie, oops its novel not movie. It was my first McDermott novel and I enjoyed reading it. Though, the sword was found midway through the novel and after that it is about recovering it which may be a downside but its a action thriller not historical mythology. Too many twists and turns that at one point I was about to lose interest but the author did a good job to make the user hooked to it. Certainly, a 'goodread'.
Neeke
After liking Hunt for Atlantis, and finding Tomb of Hercules rather OK to read, I started on Secret of Excalibur. It becomes more and more clear that this author is *only slightly* influenced by a certain author called Matthew Reilly....

Seriously, if you can tell by the organisation of the 'helping hand' that he's not what he said to be (introduced 2nd(?) chapter, revealed last/second last chapter), and can predict the following actions... you're doing something terribly wrong.
And as was also th...more
Jeninne
The second book in this series suffered from a number of issues including boring supporting characters, unnecessary tension between main characters, characters overshadowing plot, and writing that seemed to drag. Thank god this third book suffers from NONE of that. The supporting characters are fun and exciting and have wonderful chemistry. Nina and Eddie are back to their sarcastic/witty dialogue, and more than anything else, the book is actually action-adventure once more. Never did the second...more
Mylene
Liked the first book, disliked the second, and decided not to finish this one :(
Absolutely over the top - there are action books where action is kind of useful - not action for action's sake (that works in some movies - not in books!!!!)
Forgotten Realms Queen
Kept me engrossed throughout the whole book, and while the main objective was completed halfway through the book, the second half fortunately did not feel forced or rushed.

This time Eddie and Nina are searching for Arthur's famous sword Excalibur, and they need to stay one step ahead of a group of Russians to once again keep the world safe from yet another weapon of mass destruction.

But they have more than just bleach blonde Russians to worry about here. Lo and behold patterns keep true to form...more
Siril (NALU 4EVER!!!)
A full-on action filled book with a very exhilarating chase for a secret hidden deep underground. A mighty sword and sweet 'CUSSING' tale! Yes cussing! There's just too much cursing with curses on every damn freakin two pages (oops i cursed!). But all in all a very interesting book with such an awesome weapon and futurirtic weapons like the so called 'XM 201'! My favourite character obviously was Maximov! He is a nut-case but he's a tough nut to crack and finally Eddie had found a way to crack i...more
Timothy Vogel
Not my favorite of the series, but still a great addition to the list of Chase/Wilde adventures.

My reviews for McDermott's Chase/Wilde books are going to pretty much the same: Alluded secret, hunt, people who want to use secret for something bad, fight, capture, hooray secret!

One of the things I enjoy in McDermott's adventures is that the treasures/secrets don't always evaporate and reverse deus-ex at the end of the story (is there a word for that?). They become known to the world, and are used...more
Scott Widener
Good continuation book for a decent mystery-adventure series. While not on par with Cussler or James Patterson, McDermott is an enjoyable author to read. The characters are while defined and developed if a bit over the top, but isn't everybody's adventure characters now a days. I have read the entire series and after several books the pattern unfortunately becomes redundant but if you can push through and just read the books for what they are you will enjoy this and the other books in the series...more
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • Legend (Event Group Adventure, #2)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • Sword Of God (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #3)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...
The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1) The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2) The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4) The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6) Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)