Start by marking “The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)

The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #3)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  2,751 ratings  ·  122 reviews
Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase faced enormous challenges as they scoured the globe looking for the lost city of Atlantis and the tomb of the legendary warrior Hercules. Now watch as they go in search of the most powerful of all swords, Excalibur.
Published 2008 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Of Excalibur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Of Excalibur

Red Wet Dirt by Nicholas GrabowskySailor Moon, Vol. 11 by Naoko TakeuchiDracula by Bram StokerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerBear of a Storm by Sahara Foley
my favourite books ever
21st out of 142 books — 18 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareCity of Glass by Cassandra ClareCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsIf I Stay by Gayle Forman
2011 Summer Reading List
21st out of 50 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

Patrick Gibson
Should I comment on a book I didn’t finish? Oh, why the hell not.

I like brainless over-the-top action adventure stories. I’ve been reading Clive Cussler since he went down with the Titanic. I have a low threshold for stupid and don’t mind settling in for a tall tale whopper or two now and again.

That is why in a fit of madness I bought three Andy McDermott books at the same time. Flea market special: $5 for all. I made it through the first two (Atlantis & Hercules) by default. I couldn’t beli
Mike
And the non-stop action adventure continues. I love this series. One thing though, if you're looking for a deep novel, you won't find it here, this is pure unadulterated thrill ride.

Seriously, this is nothing more than an action movie in book form. It's easy to see who the bad guy is from almost the very beginning, the twists and turns are usually expected, but I'm glad to say that the final twist was one I didn't see coming at all. I really liked this book, I really like this series.

I know I s
Leslie Stokes
I have long been a fan of Arthurian legend, so I thought this mystery of trying to find Excalibur was neat. Unfortunately, the sword was found halfway through the book, and the rest of the story was devoted to Nina and Chase being pursued by people who wanted to take the sword. Too many descriptions of weapons and secret hideouts. I would have preferred more of the story be devoted to the clues and historic secrets that led to the finding of Excalibur.
Vaelin
Largely a story of two very different halves....the second half far less enjoyable and became a bit of a struggle to finish in the end

Im a big fan of Clive Cussler and James Rollins and tried this one as McDermott is regularly mentioned in the same breath as several of the adventure titans, however I didn't enjoy this anywhere near as much as the aforementioned authors works.

The bickering between Wilde and Chase was mildly humorous at first and then became like nails down a chalkboard by the en
Mark Muckerman
After savaging The Tomb of Hercules, I must be fair and say that Excalibur is a profound improvement. Better character dialogue (though still weak and cliched), more balanced plot development and pacing, less absolutely ludicrous flights of fancy and requirements for an absolute suspension of disbelief, and also less hateful bickering between Chase & Nina. While I'm sure in the author's mind it's a necessary view into the relationship development, the actual writing in Hercules was so shallo ...more
Ryan Burt
1) Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Adventure

3) Synopsis: Excalibur used to be the most powerful weapon of its time and can help create the most powerful weapon of today. Nina and Eddie race to find it to stop it from being used for bad.

4) Feelings: This is the third book in the Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series. All these books have a bit of the unbelievable in them. It is sort of like watching a James Bond movie. You just go in expecting action and adventure and try not to worry about belie
Joy
I'm not exactly familiar with all things Arthurian or Monty Python, but I still read on knowing I was in for a ride, and I wasn't disappointed.

It started with a tame setting, Nina about to meet Eddie's family, until a persuasive colleague of her parents' met her in Bournemouth. The action was nonstop after that, lots of murders, senseless deaths, it was an eye-opener for Chase - how far would one risk his life for a piece of old thing? In this novel's setting, it was a significant historical fin
Enzo
I have always liked the Chase & Wilde adventures. I wish Goodreads would allow HALF points I would have given it a 3.5. Reading about famous myths is even better. Excalibur carries a lot of stories attached that help the story. Couldn't help it had to watch "Excalibur" the 1981 film. I just wished McDermott would dedicate more time to the Arthurian legends to give more body to that part of the story instead of the non-stop action/adventure. All in all a good read.

Recommended to Action/Advent
Philip Cook
This was a non-stop action ride from start to finish. It is the third book in the series for Nina and Chase. As with all of McDermot's book's it is a fast action ride. This book is not a deep thinker but is rather a fast action thrill ride that take a Robert Ludlum basis and adds a twist of ancient legends. If you have already read this series and enjoyed it check out Matt Reilly he has a great series with Jack West Jr.
Trish Wylie
I was drawn to this book by the title as any story involving the legend of King Arthur has always interested me. I also enjoy Indiana Jones/Lara Croft-type archaeology adventures and frequently watch action movies.

However, about 250 odd pages into this story, I found myself skimming over the car chase/shootings/characters in peril scenes, which, as the book progressed, got to the point where it felt like they were never-ending. Personally, I'd have preferred more character development but since
Santiago Oleas
This is Andy McDermott's third book and at this point it seems like he's following a template and just switches out the legend and location but the story seems to be the same. If you have read the first two and are thinking of picking up this one, take a break before reading it so that you do not feel like you've seen it all before.
Janey
Really enjoyed the different locations that Eddie and Nina travelled to on their adventures to discover Excaliber. Especially liked the bit about the awful Imax cinema in Bournemouth (now thankfully demolished) and the car chase through Bournemouth Gardens which was good fun.
Michael Davies
This is James Bond the Andy Mcdermott way, full of action and quirky one liners but not so sophisticated, and the character's tend to get a bit more then a bruis.
If you like action movies then you will enjoy his books. An quick easy read.
Phyllis
Really liked this book.Have never ready anything by this author before. Am going to read the others in his series.
Lyn Richards
Oh wow.....what a fabulous story.....you know when you've read a terrific read when you still wonder what the characters might be up to now....

Andy McDermott took us along a fabulous journey, with the main characters of Nina and Eddie Chase.....the story weaves in fact and mythology in relation to King Arthur, Excalibur and Caliburn.....

I truly love reading a story that leaves me wanting more and also encourages me to research a little more about history.

This was a fast paced interesting read th
Mia
Silly over the top action-adventure, but I'm really enjoying the series!
Theresa
A very exciting, but predictable adventure story. Heroine discovers artifact, bad guy steals it, placing heroine and world in danger, hero rescues heroine and saves world. But it’s non-stop pace, excellent descriptions and interesting historical usage make up for the sameness of the basic story.

They do travel to a lot of different locations, though at this rate they’re going to run out of cool places for the artifacts (and clues) to be found. And Mr. McDermott finds some very interesting ways
Randy

A Legendary Weapon
... A Ruthless Assassin
... A Perilous Hunt

Excalibur . . . Legend has it that he who carries King Arthur’s mighty sword into battle will be invincible. But for more than a thousand years, the secret to the whereabouts of this powerful weapon has been lost . . . until now.
Historian Bernd Rust believes he can locate Excalibur...and that the sword is the key to harnessing an incredible source of energy.
Archaeologist Nina Wilde is hoping for a little R&R with her fiancé, for

Marilyn
Aug 21, 2011 Marilyn rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Indiana Jones fans, Arthurian myth lovers
The Secret of Excalibur
By Andy McDermott

Publisher: Bantam Books, U.S.
Copyright: 2008 held by Andry McDermott
ISBN: 978-0-553-59295-5

Is the Arthurian myth true? Does Excalibur really exist? No way! It’s a fairy tale or is it? Where there is smoke there is fire? Hmmm…

The opening of our adventure begins in the Oval Office where Dr. Nina Wilde is being bestowed with a presidential honor for her work in uncovering Atlantis. It is here where we learn about Dr. Wilde’s character and that of her bodyguar
Chibineko
I'd started on this book a few weeks after finishing up with the previous adventure in the series, `Tomb of Hercules'. I know I've said this in my reviews for both of the previous books, but this would make an excellent tv series or movie. I liked this book so much that rather than wait for the book to be released, I tracked down a copy via ebay. (The book had been released previously in the UK.)

This particular entry has archeologist Nina & her heroic fiancé Eddie embarking on something trul
Jackie Bebbington
The Secret of Excalibur is the third book in the series by Andy McDermott that follows the adventures of Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase. As the third in the set it was in many ways similar to the first two books: ancient treasure, diabolical plan for world domination, good guy is actually on of the bad guys etc...

That is really my only complaint about it this book is that after reading his other books this one was fairly predictable in the way that the events would unfold.

That be said however as an
Beth Gibson
In general, an entertaining story. We have an American archaeologist/scientist who specializes in searching out hard evidence of ancient stories thought to be only myth. In a previous novel, she searches for and finds the lost city of Atlantis. Helping is her partner and future husband Eddie Chase, a dashing British gent. The book is written by an Englishman and I could tell the style before I read the back cover to confirm this is an English author. You will note some British vocabulary and dia ...more
Tony
A definite step back in the right direction for Andy McDermott's action adventure series, The Secret of Excalibur, that for the most part wisely remembers to deliver on the promise of its title. Unlike in The Tomb of Hercules where the ancient mystery was sidelined for pseudo-Bond overblown action, here McDermott gets the balance more on track - Excalibur plays a significant part in proceedings, does indeed have an interesting secret that ties into the bigger ongoing mythology of the series, and ...more
Joseph
After the Tomb of Hercules, I was a bit reluctant to keep going with the series, but I decided why not. It was a good choice I decided to keep reading because this book was maybe even better then the first. First thing is it had a perfect blend of archeology and action, though I know some people would say that's not archeology, and while it's more just going to places that's another topic. This book also had some actual funny moments and interesting characters. Especially the bad guys. The only ...more
John Cook
Sep 19, 2014 John Cook rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Advenutre loving Adults
Recommended to John by: found the first book in Walmart. Enjoyed it, so I wanted to read more.
This is the second of the Nina Wilde books I read, although it is the 3rd in the series. This was almost as much fun as the first book. It had much of the same appeal as the first one, adventure, intrigue, fantasy, all rolled into one. I would also recommend this to any fun loving adult. I would venture to say that you don't need to have read the previous books to appreciate this one.
Catherine
Had a love hate relationship with this book. Fills like I was reading the first two books again, same situation, just different locations and people. I loved certain parts (when Eddie and Nina interacted together) and hated others (when they were in two separate places).

Don't really want to read the next one in the series, but I am curious what happens in the next book.
Abhay
Rating 3.5.
A good action packed movie, oops its novel not movie. It was my first McDermott novel and I enjoyed reading it. Though, the sword was found midway through the novel and after that it is about recovering it which may be a downside but its a action thriller not historical mythology. Too many twists and turns that at one point I was about to lose interest but the author did a good job to make the user hooked to it. Certainly, a 'goodread'.
Neeke
After liking Hunt for Atlantis, and finding Tomb of Hercules rather OK to read, I started on Secret of Excalibur. It becomes more and more clear that this author is *only slightly* influenced by a certain author called Matthew Reilly....

Seriously, if you can tell by the organisation of the 'helping hand' that he's not what he said to be (introduced 2nd(?) chapter, revealed last/second last chapter), and can predict the following actions... you're doing something terribly wrong.
And as was also th
Jeanette
It was good and action packed. I think I would have loved it if it were a movie instead of a book. It was very long and many very detailed action scenes. Towards the end I started to feel sorry for Chase and Nina after all the things they were put through! The legend of King Arthur and Excalibur was fascinating. I loved all the traveling and the history.
RICHARD CLARK
Totally Incredible

Like every McDermott book, it is an action-movie script in waiting. The author's little joke is to have the main characters names describe all his stories: "wild chase." This is my fourth novel read. Mindless pleasure at its best!
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • The Prophecy (Jonathon Payne & David Jones, #5)
  • Black Sun (Hawker & Laidlaw, #2)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Shadow Project (Ben Hope, #5)
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • Legend (Event Group Thriller #2)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • This Green Hell (Alex Hunter, #3)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...

Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase (10 books)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #9)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1) The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2) The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4) The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6) Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)