Start by marking “The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)

The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #3)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  3,623 Ratings  ·  155 Reviews
The third brilliant adventure thriller featuring archaeologist Nina Wilde, in which Nina must find Excalibur, King Arthur's beloved sword. Said to make whoever holds it unstoppable in battle, the sword Excalibur has been coveted across the ages, and thought lost for over a thousand years. With a cryptic message to archaeologist Nina Wilde, this may be about to change. ...more
Hardcover
Published 2008 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Of Excalibur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Of Excalibur

Patrick Gibson
Jan 06, 2011 Patrick Gibson rated it did not like it
Should I comment on a book I didn’t finish? Oh, why the hell not.

I like brainless over-the-top action adventure stories. I’ve been reading Clive Cussler since he went down with the Titanic. I have a low threshold for stupid and don’t mind settling in for a tall tale whopper or two now and again.

That is why in a fit of madness I bought three Andy McDermott books at the same time. Flea market special: $5 for all. I made it through the first two (Atlantis & Hercules) by default. I couldn’t beli
Leslie Stokes
I have long been a fan of Arthurian legend, so I thought this mystery of trying to find Excalibur was neat. Unfortunately, the sword was found halfway through the book, and the rest of the story was devoted to Nina and Chase being pursued by people who wanted to take the sword. Too many descriptions of weapons and secret hideouts. I would have preferred more of the story be devoted to the clues and historic secrets that led to the finding of Excalibur.
Mike
Jun 04, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
And the non-stop action adventure continues. I love this series. One thing though, if you're looking for a deep novel, you won't find it here, this is pure unadulterated thrill ride.

Seriously, this is nothing more than an action movie in book form. It's easy to see who the bad guy is from almost the very beginning, the twists and turns are usually expected, but I'm glad to say that the final twist was one I didn't see coming at all. I really liked this book, I really like this series.

I know I s
Mark Muckerman
Jun 15, 2012 Mark Muckerman rated it liked it
After savaging The Tomb of Hercules, I must be fair and say that Excalibur is a profound improvement. Better character dialogue (though still weak and cliched), more balanced plot development and pacing, less absolutely ludicrous flights of fancy and requirements for an absolute suspension of disbelief, and also less hateful bickering between Chase & Nina. While I'm sure in the author's mind it's a necessary view into the relationship development, the actual writing in Hercules was so ...more
Ryan Burt
May 22, 2012 Ryan Burt rated it really liked it
1) Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Adventure

3) Synopsis: Excalibur used to be the most powerful weapon of its time and can help create the most powerful weapon of today. Nina and Eddie race to find it to stop it from being used for bad.

4) Feelings: This is the third book in the Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series. All these books have a bit of the unbelievable in them. It is sort of like watching a James Bond movie. You just go in expecting action and adventure and try not to worry about belie
Vaelin
Sep 30, 2014 Vaelin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Largely a story of two very different halves....the second half far less enjoyable and became a bit of a struggle to finish in the end

Im a big fan of Clive Cussler and James Rollins and tried this one as McDermott is regularly mentioned in the same breath as several of the adventure titans, however I didn't enjoy this anywhere near as much as the aforementioned authors works.

The bickering between Wilde and Chase was mildly humorous at first and then became like nails down a chalkboard by the en
Joy
I'm not exactly familiar with all things Arthurian or Monty Python, but I still read on knowing I was in for a ride, and I wasn't disappointed.

It started with a tame setting, Nina about to meet Eddie's family, until a persuasive colleague of her parents' met her in Bournemouth. The action was nonstop after that, lots of murders, senseless deaths, it was an eye-opener for Chase - how far would one risk his life for a piece of old thing? In this novel's setting, it was a significant historical fin
Enzo
I have always liked the Chase & Wilde adventures. I wish Goodreads would allow HALF points I would have given it a 3.5. Reading about famous myths is even better. Excalibur carries a lot of stories attached that help the story. Couldn't help it had to watch "Excalibur" the 1981 film. I just wished McDermott would dedicate more time to the Arthurian legends to give more body to that part of the story instead of the non-stop action/adventure. All in all a good read.

Recommended to Action/Advent
Philip Cook
Mar 07, 2011 Philip Cook rated it really liked it
This was a non-stop action ride from start to finish. It is the third book in the series for Nina and Chase. As with all of McDermot's book's it is a fast action ride. This book is not a deep thinker but is rather a fast action thrill ride that take a Robert Ludlum basis and adds a twist of ancient legends. If you have already read this series and enjoyed it check out Matt Reilly he has a great series with Jack West Jr.
Santiago Oleas
Jul 16, 2011 Santiago Oleas rated it liked it
This is Andy McDermott's third book and at this point it seems like he's following a template and just switches out the legend and location but the story seems to be the same. If you have read the first two and are thinking of picking up this one, take a break before reading it so that you do not feel like you've seen it all before.
Michael Davies
Dec 23, 2009 Michael Davies rated it it was amazing
This is James Bond the Andy Mcdermott way, full of action and quirky one liners but not so sophisticated, and the character's tend to get a bit more then a bruis.
If you like action movies then you will enjoy his books. An quick easy read.
Janey
Aug 16, 2013 Janey rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the different locations that Eddie and Nina travelled to on their adventures to discover Excaliber. Especially liked the bit about the awful Imax cinema in Bournemouth (now thankfully demolished) and the car chase through Bournemouth Gardens which was good fun.
Phyllis
Oct 16, 2011 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book.Have never ready anything by this author before. Am going to read the others in his series.
Emma
Feb 13, 2016 Emma rated it liked it
Shelves: read-not-kept
Ok story but a bit long. It got a little tedious at times.
Mia
Aug 10, 2014 Mia rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
Silly over the top action-adventure, but I'm really enjoying the series!
Mark
Nov 07, 2016 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mark by: markferbert@gmail.com
Another fast-paced cracking thriller with our two heroes from the previous books.

This one is a bit more home-based (for those of us in the UK) as it features action in Bournemouth, London, Glastonbury as well as some foreign locations (Syria, Austria, Moscow, the Arctic circle). As ever, the action scenes lend themselves very favourably to a film, and you can almost imagine this as a sequence of scenes which wouldn't look out of place in today's big budget films (eg James Bond, Fast and Furious,
Benjo Dalmacio-demition
I have always been intrigued with the legend of King Arthur's sword. In this book, the author twisted a bit of its' significance. A nice read.
Emiliya
Nov 15, 2016 Emiliya rated it really liked it
Много добър археологически трилър, но екшъна ми идва малко прекален и недействителен.
Panos Panagiotidis
Nov 25, 2016 Panos Panagiotidis rated it it was amazing
As always a lot of action at big enviroments
John Fahy
in relation to the third of the series I can honestly say that Mcdermott has learned his lesson n reflected on his last book and wants to push this in the direction it needs to go. I loved the action n twists and stupidness that developed throughout and in a nutshell just loved that escaping feeling I had when reading it. A cliffhanger of a book and I am so looking forward to the next installment! ... ps 8 wrote this review after half a bottle of Vodka. .. jobs a goodun x
Jordan Anderson
Jul 09, 2016 Jordan Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a reason that movies franchises like The Fast and Furious and Die Hard and The Expendables exist. It's because people, for the most part anyway, love to be entertained. Sure, every once in a while a story comes along that requires concentration, and deep thought, but when it comes to silly, unbelievable plots, lots of explosions and violence, and action that never seems to end, well those type of stories are always gonna be the most fun and draw in the biggest audience.

Andy McDermott's
Paul DeSimone
Oct 05, 2016 Paul DeSimone rated it it was amazing
lots of action and quite a few plot twists, yet easy to read and follow.
Theresa
Oct 03, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it
A very exciting, but predictable adventure story. Heroine discovers artifact, bad guy steals it, placing heroine and world in danger, hero rescues heroine and saves world. But it’s non-stop pace, excellent descriptions and interesting historical usage make up for the sameness of the basic story.

They do travel to a lot of different locations, though at this rate they’re going to run out of cool places for the artifacts (and clues) to be found. And Mr. McDermott finds some very interesting ways
Chibineko
Oct 28, 2010 Chibineko rated it really liked it
I'd started on this book a few weeks after finishing up with the previous adventure in the series, `Tomb of Hercules'. I know I've said this in my reviews for both of the previous books, but this would make an excellent tv series or movie. I liked this book so much that rather than wait for the book to be released, I tracked down a copy via ebay. (The book had been released previously in the UK.)

This particular entry has archeologist Nina & her heroic fiancé Eddie embarking on something trul
Tony
Nov 11, 2012 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
A definite step back in the right direction for Andy McDermott's action adventure series, The Secret of Excalibur, that for the most part wisely remembers to deliver on the promise of its title. Unlike in The Tomb of Hercules where the ancient mystery was sidelined for pseudo-Bond overblown action, here McDermott gets the balance more on track - Excalibur plays a significant part in proceedings, does indeed have an interesting secret that ties into the bigger ongoing mythology of the series, and ...more
Beth Gibson
Feb 01, 2013 Beth Gibson rated it liked it
In general, an entertaining story. We have an American archaeologist/scientist who specializes in searching out hard evidence of ancient stories thought to be only myth. In a previous novel, she searches for and finds the lost city of Atlantis. Helping is her partner and future husband Eddie Chase, a dashing British gent. The book is written by an Englishman and I could tell the style before I read the back cover to confirm this is an English author. You will note some British vocabulary and ...more
Marilyn
Aug 21, 2011 Marilyn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Indiana Jones fans, Arthurian myth lovers
The Secret of Excalibur
By Andy McDermott

Publisher: Bantam Books, U.S.
Copyright: 2008 held by Andry McDermott
ISBN: 978-0-553-59295-5

Is the Arthurian myth true? Does Excalibur really exist? No way! It’s a fairy tale or is it? Where there is smoke there is fire? Hmmm…

The opening of our adventure begins in the Oval Office where Dr. Nina Wilde is being bestowed with a presidential honor for her work in uncovering Atlantis. It is here where we learn about Dr. Wilde’s character and that of her bodyguar
Josh
Dec 29, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Adventure/Thriller stories
This is the third book by Andy McDermott, and I enjoyed it much more than the 2nd book. For some reason, this one moved faster, was more interesting in terms of the subject matter, and there was one set piece after another. It was a breakneck read from start to finish. While I didn't fully understand some of the science involved, I did enjoy the story, the characters, and the action.

Once again Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase are on the hunt for an historical object of massive significance to humanity
Mark Easter

A LEGENDARY WEAPON.
A RUTHLESS ASSASSIN.
A PERILOUS HUNT.

Excalibur . . . Legend has it that he who carries King Arthur’s mighty sword into battle will be invincible. But for more than a thousand years, the secret to the whereabouts of this powerful weapon has been lost . . . until now.

Archaeologist Nina Wilde is hoping for a little R&R with her fiancé, former SAS bodyguard Eddie Chase. But the couple’s plans are dashed when a meeting with an old acquaintance propels Nina and Eddie into a raz

Jackie Bebbington
The Secret of Excalibur is the third book in the series by Andy McDermott that follows the adventures of Nina Wilde and Eddie Chase. As the third in the set it was in many ways similar to the first two books: ancient treasure, diabolical plan for world domination, good guy is actually on of the bad guys etc...

That is really my only complaint about it this book is that after reading his other books this one was fairly predictable in the way that the events would unfold.

That be said however as an
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)
  • Gates of Hades (Jason Peters #1)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...

Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #9)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)