Start by marking “The Law Is a Lady” as Want to Read:
The Law Is a Lady

The Law Is a Lady

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  1,361 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
When Phillip Kincaid was scouting locations for his new movie, he didn't expect the long arm of the law to point him in the right direction. But when he was jailed for speeding, he realized Friendly, New Mexico, was just the godforsaken little town he'd been looking for. And Victoria Ashton, town sheriff, was just the woman he'd been waiting for.

Tory knew she had a tiger b
Mass Market Paperback, Language of Love #2 - Hollyhock, 220 pages
Published January 1st 1992 by Silhouette (first published 1984)

Lizabeth Tucker
Feb 25, 2013 Lizabeth Tucker rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Hollywood director Philip Kincaid was searching for the perfect location for his latest movie, paying no attention to the speed limit in Friendly, New Mexico. When he was pulled over by Friendly's only deputy, Phil refuses to sign the ticket, finding himself under arrest. Furious, he still managed to acknowledge the surge of an entirely different emotion when he laid eyes on the temporary sheriff, Victoria Ashton.

A successful lawyer, Tory was home to cover her late father's job until it is time
Jessie Robertson
Aug 30, 2016 Jessie Robertson rated it did not like it
I'm really not cut out for this genre. All I could think was, "OH MY GOD YOU CANNOT DO THAT TO YOUR PRISONER!" and "HE CAN TOTALLY FILE A SEXUAL HARASSMENT CHARGE FOR THAT!" I really don't know what I was thinking when I decided to check this out from the library. I read The Bride Quartet, which was kind of a cute read--although I don't approve of using a proposal to solve all of life's problems. I was on a Roberts kick, and this seemed okay, but it was so inappropriate that I just put the book ...more
Carla Simoes
antes de mais nada quero agradecer à harlequin por me ter oferecido este livro, da Nora Roberts sabe sempre super bem um livrinho.
gostei da história e dos personagens l, não amei porque penso que faltou algum suspense e risco, no geral é um bom livro uma leitura rápida e agradável.
Mónica Horta
Dec 27, 2016 Mónica Horta rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Apesar de achar que não ia achar grande piada aeste livro, as personagens principais acabaram por me conquistar. Adorei a Tory. O Tod também era muito fofo.

No entanto acho que este livro não tem a qualidade a que a Nora Roberts já nos habituou.
Idella Sanders
Okay read

Not really sure, but this time I found myself NOT entirely into the plot, or the characters. Though it was interesting, it was still kinda album. No intrigue, no building up of the plot. It wasn't a bad thing, just not read good.
Davinia Vicente
Novelita de Nora para despejar la cabeza de tanto Kvothe...
Vanessa
Nov 06, 2016 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este livro foi-me oferecido durante o mês de Julho e, como não sabia o que havia de escolher para terminar este mês de leituras, acabei por me decidir por este para poder colocar um ponto final na minha curiosidade acerca do mesmo.

Este é um livro repleto de atracção, desejo, tensão, romance, amizade, amor, determinação e paixão do início ao fim, com um enredo interessante e bem construído e com personagens fortes, reais e muito cativantes. Como é hábito, a escrita da autora mostra-se descomplica
Zel Polev
Nov 19, 2015 Zel Polev rated it it was ok
Gramedia Pustaka Utama
Sheriff wanita ? ah NR memang sering menciptakan tokoh yg luar biasa. Tapi jika sheriffnya seperti yg NR gambarkan tentang Tory Ashton, wah penjara bisa penuh, krn menurut Bricks, cara jalan Tory bisa membuat orang yg melihat menjadi gila, haha.
Yang 2 hal yang menarik dalam buku ini adalah cara penyelesaian atas perselisihan Tory dan Helen saat ayahnya meninggal, dimana Helen memutuskan untuk mematikan alat respirator yang telah terpasang selama 2 minggu, dan cara Tory serta Phil menyikapi hubun
LJ
Aug 21, 2008 LJ rated it really liked it
THE LAW IS A LADY - VG
Roberts, Nora - Language of Flowers

When Victoria Ashton agreed to be temporary sheriff of Friendly, New Mexico, she thought her job would be easy. And it was -- until she was forced to jail Philip Kincaid for speeding....Once freed, the sexy out-of-towner challenged her to give in to the sudden, startling attraction between them. And that was something Victoria just couldn't do. But when Philip Kincaid set his mind on something,he set about getting it and he'd decided the t
Marleen
Mar 26, 2016 Marleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts
Not one of Nora Roberts best. The story showed promise when it started, but for me it was primarily focused on the physical attraction between Sheriff Victoria 'Tory' Ashton and film director Phillip Kincaid, who while looking for a location to shoot his next movie, ends up in Tory's jail for speeding and then for refusing to pay the fine.
I liked the small-community feel of Friendly, New Mexico. I just wished that the townspeople were more prominently featured in the story. You know when an ense
Aruna
Aug 15, 2016 Aruna rated it it was amazing
Fantastic vintage Nora Roberts. In a similar style to the Stanislaski series, this book is a great read. The lady is working through the loss of her father and working in his job as Sheriff until someone else can take over, then her deputy brings in a speeding driver who is chucked into jail for refusing to pay the fine. Nora Roberts wrote Victoria as a classy lady, someone who is confident and has style and is comfortable to an extent in her own skin. Phil is a movie director, a very confident ...more
sakura_txell
Mar 25, 2015 sakura_txell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pesar de ser un Harlequín, lo que podría considerarse un punto en contra, lo he disfrutado muchísimo. Supongo que también afectó el hecho de que hacía días que no leía nada de romántica. El caso es que me he reído bastante, especialmente un par de escenas al principio y al final de la novela. La pega: que un Harlequín!!!!! Es una pena, porque el libro daría para unas 150 páginas más: hay tramas secundarias que se podrían haber desarrollado más ampliamente, la relación de los protagonistas podr ...more
Hermie
Oct 31, 2015 Hermie rated it liked it
EXPECTATION:
Tory and Phil have chemistry. She been hurt before by someone from Hollywood so she doesn't trust his "type", she finally gives up (because he doesn't take no for an answer), he unconscionably ends up hurting her, they broke up, later realize they can live without each other, get back together and live happily ever after.

REALITY:
You can feel their monstrous chemistry in the air;
Tory relationship with her mother was a positive surprise and says a lot about her;
The scene at the cemeter
Mom
Aug 10, 2010 Mom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-during-2010
Good - I liked the characters and the story even made me cry once.

Tory knew she had a tiger by the tail when she tossed Kincaid in the slammer. How co
Sonia Cristina
Aug 08, 2015 Sonia Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: português, 2015
Acabei este há pouco; gostei, é daqueles que valem a pena. Fartei-me de rir com o início, primeiro com as ideias de Merle sobre perseguições a alta velocidade e outras ideias heroicas em que ele seria, claro, o protagonista; depois a teimosia de Phil em não assinar a multa e depois, já na esquadra, a ser preso. Muito engraçado! E o advogado dele também foi engraçado.

Gostei da pequena cidade de Friendly, foi giro ler sobre aqueles habitantes e acompanhar Tory no seu trabalho enquanto xerife.

E o
Bev Taylor
Dec 15, 2015 Bev Taylor rated it really liked it
tory is a lawyer but is back in her home town standing in as sheriff, a role her father used to have

she has a run in with phillip who is a hollywood director and after throwing him in jail he then decides to use her town for his latest shoot

soon their feelings for each other surface ....

a good mix of relationships and characters result in a quick feel good novel - even if it is rather far fetched

wonder what he did with hos personal video?

bev
Joy
The Law Is A Lady

Excellent portrayal of a young woman dealing with life-changing moments in her life. The death of her father has shaken her foundation and she has loss her true north. She agrees to fill in for her father as the local sheriff in Friendly, NM although she has a busy law practice in Albuquerque. The moment Phil Kinkaid enters her life, everything changes.
Marjo
Jul 09, 2016 Marjo marked it as zeroes-and-dnf
DNF. I suspected from the description that I wouldn't like this*, and I got the free preview to either confirm or deny that suspicion. It was confirmed. Not a good opening, and not the way to make me spend money to finish this.

*I'm in a "completing all of the Nora Roberts body of work", though, so I had to give this an honest try.
Maria
Aug 26, 2014 Maria rated it really liked it
Intriguing story mixing a small town sheriff with a big movie producer, with sidebars. Lots of interaction between stars and hicks, good research on the movie-making end of things, throw in a horse and you have everything. The attraction was acted on a little too fast, but there were some lovely tear-jerking moments between Phil and Tory and Tory and her Mom.
Jeanne
Aug 31, 2010 Jeanne rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
This is the story of film director Phillip Kincaid and attorney Victoria Ashton. Tory is serving as sheriff of Friendly, New Mexico where Phillip decides to set his latest movie. This is one of Nora Roberts' early books, originally published in 1984 and by Silhouette in 1992. As such, it is a typical "steamy" romance.
Jennifer Newman
Apr 04, 2012 Jennifer Newman rated it it was amazing
I don't have a single complaint about this book, I loved the characters, the setting, and most importantly the fun loving romance of two people both in the height of their chosen profession. I would defiantly recomend for anyone looking for a good quick romance to read
Kristiana S
Jan 12, 2013 Kristiana S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-a-long, re-read
Baca beberapa kali, dan ternyata perasaanku ga berubah. Tetep suka sama buku ini.
Salah satu novel NR favoriteku :)
Meskipun untuk kali ini butuh waktu yg lama buat namatinnya. Karena penyakit malas baca dan penyakit ngantuk menyerang beberapa hari belakangan :p
Clau
Jan 23, 2013 Clau rated it really liked it
Esperaba algo mas de intriga... bueno, esperaba INTRIGA. Sin embargo, este libro trata unicamente sobre el romance de esos dos. De todas maneras, Nora Roberts formo bien a sus personajes,dandole vida a la novela. Lo recomiendo, aunque no se si lo leeria de nuevo, ya que resulta un tanto predecible.
Andrea
Dec 21, 2010 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was really a so-so kind of book. Noth the best or close to the best I have read from NR but not a waste of time either.
jackie longman
May 14, 2016 jackie longman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

As always a superb novel from a master storyteller, Nora Roberts had no equal for her brilliantly crafted tales of strong women in a man's world.
Yuki
Jul 20, 2013 Yuki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pinjem
Buku pertama Nora Roberts yang dibaca
tertarik baca ini karena kepingin ikutan RC :3
Overall ceritanya lumayan walau ga ada konflik yang sulit
Ori
Apr 02, 2008 Ori rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
sebenernya kurang begitu suka sih novel kaya ginian, tp namanya hadiah ultah dr temen,ya makasih deh..:)
Josephine
The book opens with a secondary character's POV, which immediately put me off the story. I also found the dialogue stilted and cheesy. This was a DNF for me.
Judy Boyle
Apr 21, 2014 Judy Boyle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book!!!

it was really, really good!!!I just love Nora Roberts books and this was a really good one. All her books are very good!!!!
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Ya, Saya Bersedia, Tapi... (I Do, I Do... For Now)
  • Deadly Redemption (Daughters of Myth #3)
  • Istri Simpanan
  • Sang Playboy Paris - The Parisian Playboy
  • Anak Sang Kekasih (Having His Baby) - 3 Bayi Untuk 3 Saudara Book 2
  • Kids Is a 4-Letter Word
  • Menaklukkan Calon Istri (To Woo A Wife) (Bachelor Brothers, Book 1)
  • Pernikahan Impian (Marriage Wanted)
  • Manhattan Merger
  • Perkawinan (The Wedding)
  • The English Doctor's Baby (Westerling, #3)
  • Christmas Cowboy - Natal Sang Koboi
  • Damian: Die Stadt der gefallenen Engel (Damian, #1)
  • Blue Sage (Western Lovers: Ranch Rogues, #2)
  • The Sicilian Surrender = Terpikat Sang Pria Sisilia (O'Connells, #2)
  • Seduced: The Unexpected Virgin (The Takeover, #2)
  • Menaklukkan Sang Dokter - Taming the Beastly MD
Nora Roberts is the #1 New York Times bestselling author of more than 200 novels, including The Obsession, The Liar, The Collector, Whiskey Beach and coming in June 2017, Come Sundown. She is also the author of the futuristic suspense In Death series written under the pen name J.D. Robb. There are more than 500 million copies of her books in print.
More about Nora Roberts...