Snow In April

Snow In April

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,848 ratings  ·  87 reviews
When you read a novel by Rosamunde Pilcher you enter a special world where emotions sing from the heart. A world that lovingly captures the ties that bind us to one another-the joys and sorrows, heartbreaks and misunderstandings, and glad, perfect moments when we are in true harmony. A world filled with evocative, engrossing, and above all, enjoyable portraits of people's...more
Published January 15th 1997 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1972)

To ask other readers questions about Snow In April, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Snow In April

The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde PilcherWinter Solstice by Rosamunde PilcherComing Home by Rosamunde PilcherSeptember by Rosamunde PilcherUnder Gemini by Rosamunde Pilcher
The Best Rosamunde Pilcher Books
6th out of 19 books — 56 voters
Little Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Hunt for Red October by Tom ClancyThe Enchanted April by Elizabeth von ArnimA Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May AlcottLight in August by William Faulkner
Months of the year
23rd out of 172 books — 35 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeannette
This is the sort of story that Mary Stewart might write, if she wrote straight-up romance. A brooding Scottish hero, a lovable boy and a dog, and the requisite cigs and nylon nightie! It's sweet, not taxing (insta-love and a guaranteed HEA); I enjoyed the read immensely!
Bonnie
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

Caroline is due to marry within the next week to a man she’s unsure she loves but takes a spontaneous trip to Scotland with her younger brother after hearing word that their estranged older brother was living there. After an unfortunate accident in a blizzard leaves the two stranded, they meet a man named Oliver living nearby who takes them in.

I’ve heard lovely things about Rosamunde Pilcher’s books, most especially The Shell Seekers, but I made the decision to pick up S...more
JayeL
Aug 22, 2010 JayeL rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
Rosamunde Pilcher's books are primarily about relationships between people. It is clear that people are fallible and that their fallibility is not fatal. It is clear that people don't think about their lives until they are faced with the reality. The 'good guys' are not great heros. They are just people. Conversely, the 'bad guys' are not terrible, horrifying people. They are people trying to get what they want and making bad decisions. People, in Pilcher's books, are doing the best they can. Th...more
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I read this in 2006, according to my book journal, but I really can't remember it. My note about it says that it is an older (1971 or so) romantic story in which an engaged girl and her young brother drive from London to Scotland to see their older brother, but get stopped by a blizzard, and a better love prevails. (Not sure now what that means; guess she found someone new.) At any rate, I have always enjoyed this writer, but apparently I didn't think this was one of her better novels.
Rachel
I was practically weaned on Rosamunde Pilcher, and I can't help loving her lovely little stories of English life. She's very much along the lines of Maeve Binchy, though she was writing mostly in the 70s. The short ones like these are just pleasant books you can read in a day and forget. The longer ones (The Shell Seekers is the one everybody knows) are absolutely wonderful. I'll probably read them all every seven years or so for the rest of my life.
Kate
"Caroline Cliburn was to be married next Tuesday, and yet she suspected that gratitude was the wrong reason to become a bride. Perhaps that was why she and her younger brother Jody had taken the long drive north to Scotland in search of her missing brother Angus. As the landscape grew more stark and wintry with each passing mile, Caroline recognized the coldness inside her even more. But she never dreamed that a sudden spring blizzard would leave them stranded by the roadside. Or that snow in Ap...more
Julie
I thoroughly enjoyed this. Had read it long ago and usually remember what i read, but really was like reading it for the first time. Just a nice, light read . Really i just enjoy all her books and reread them all . Also like her son, robin's books too.
Mary Ann
A lovely story. It makes you feel good curled up with it and a cup of tea kind of thing. What increases the enjoyment is the author's command of the language and writing talent. I am starting "Wild Mountain Thyme" next by her. A friend at the library has told me that her son, Robin Pilcher, is an even better writer than she is. So I'll read him next. I love stories set in England anyway, although this writer is Scottish.
Debb24601
Fair warning: Sometimes I like reading older books. This was written in 1972.

This was a great short read by one of my favourite UK authors. I tend to romanticize England and Scotland and Rosamunde Pilcher feeds that while knocking it down at the same time. This is one of her simpler stories, a quick read, and surprisingly swoony once Oliver comes into the picture. These characters kept me on my toes; I wasn't sure for most of the book exactly who I should be rooting for -- so I didn't root for...more
Kaethe
I can't remember why it didn't grab me, but it seemed thin compared to my favorites: The Shell Seekers, September, and Coming Home.
Emily
I love Rosamunde Pilcher-- my mom introduced her to me when I was younger and lived off happy love stories. I still enjoyed the novel-- just wouldn't rate it as a favorite. However, for what it is (a quick, easy feel good novel you read by a fire with a cup of tea) it delivers. It isn't as good as her other easy-reads, so comparing it to them I would give it three out of five stars. For example, I loved Wild Mountain Thyme and The Carrousel, but did not love this one. On a final note, if you fin...more
Sue
Caroline, who is about to get married, drives to Scotland with her younger brother to try and see their estranged older brother. She is stranded in a snowstorm and takes refuge. An enjoyable light read with very believable and sympathetic people...

I first read this book in 2000, then lent it to somebody and didn't see it again. So it went on my wishlist a few years later, and I was delighted to receive it for my recent birthday.

On re-reading, nine years after the first reading, I'd totally for...more
Mary
It's been awhile since I read a book by this author. It made me remember how much I enjoy British terminology. Set in England and Scotland, this story involves a rare snowstorm in April which causes an unexpected encounter and turn of events for the characters. Delightful!
I've come back to this book a couple of times over the past 20 years or so. This time, I just needed a quick palette cleanser after my last book, so I picked this one up, remembering it as sweet and charming and something I could get done in an evening.

Somehow with this reading,though, I lost a little of the charm of it. It's a thinner story than I wanted to remember, waif-like, like the heroine (who really is younger and more foolish than I wanted to believe).

I'm honestly feeling a little sad a...more
Kw
Not up to her usual incredible standards, but a fun read nonetheless. Just a bit too tidy or something. The pieces fit into place almost too neatly. Still, I will read anything I can find by this amazing author.
Angie

Probably not one of Pilcher's best stories, but I still liked it. I think to best enjoy this you have to read between the lines a little. Pretty much follows her "formula"
Andre Satie
Not Rosamunde's best. The "bad girlfriend's" character needs to be developed in a less cliche's manner, and the story needs to be longer in order for the "good girlfriend's" story to develop.
Becky B
Sep 19, 2012 Becky B rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Chick-lit lovers, Black & white movie fans, Scotland enthusiasts
Recommended to Becky by: Grandma in-law
This is a simple, clean (as in, could have been made into a screenplay in the 1940s with no editing)romantic fiction set in Scotland in the early-ish part of the 20th century. If you've seen any black and white movies from the 30s-40s, you've probably seen this plot line. Girl is engaged to be married to a guy (who the reader can see is obviously wrong for her). Girl gets stranded somewhere where she meets another guy (who is obviously SO much better for her),...and I'm sure you can guess how it...more
Paula Dembeck
After traveling to Scotland hoping to make contact with her brother Angus, Catherine is hurrying home to London to marry the man chosen for her. On the way, she crashes her car into a snow bank and is rescued by a gentleman from a large estate who has just buried his younger brother. They spend time together and learn they are both about to make terrible mistakes in their lives.

This is a rather simple predictable story. There are no complex characters here. Caroline’s is a real disappointment--i...more
Rilken
Firstly, when I bought this book I had no idea when that it was published in 1972! I mean I read some weird stuff but I didnt give much thought to it and now I feel really stupid.

Anyway, back to the book.The characters kept me on my toes; I wasn't sure for most of the book exactly who I should be rooting for. It was breathtakingly romantic, I can admit that, although I found the ending a little forced. It gave me the idea that the two main characters were happy, they became friends and they like

Christine
I usually love Rosamund Pilcher and I really wanted to love this book, but there was just something about it. Near the end, when everything just seemed to be thrown together just didn't seem very realistic to me. I don't know, maybe this book just needed to be about another 50 pages longer.
Marci
can you imagine going all the way to scotland in the hopes of locating a brother only to get trapped during a snow storm in a house isolated from everythiing but occupied by a man with a past full of tragity? The result is of course involvement.
Maria M. Elmvang
More of a novella than an actual novel, and unfortunately - like most of Rosamunde Pilcher's novellas - neither very realistic nor very engaging. I think Rosamunde Pilcher meant for this to be a quick, feel-good read, but while she definitely succeeded with the former, it was less so with the latter. The only relationship that felt real was the one between Jody and Caroline - I never really came to believe any of the romantic entanglements.

I tend to love Rosamunde Pilcher's novels, but her novel...more
Lorrie
I love all Rosamunde Pilcher books....usually. This one was light on character development athough Scotland's coastal scenery--very nice! Orphaned Caroline & Jody, living with stepmother Diane. Caroline decides to marry Diane's brother Hugh, mostly to make it easier for the famiy. What?? The families live in London; however, a trip to Strathcarron looking for the older brother, Angus, made things a little more lively. I'd like to meet Oliver too! The plot was predictable and thin. I'm sorry....more
Fitri
i just loove rosamunde pilcher. she always gives me this warm cozy feeling with her stories, without being over the top. this one included.
MomToKippy
Pilcher is a fine replacement for Binchy but I am getting a little annoyed with the derogatory way men speak to women in her books. It may reflect the times in which the story takes place but it still leaves a bad taste. At least in Coming Home the main character is a strong woman but in this story that is not the case. She is sniveling and weak and still falls for the guy who points out her faults. A cute little story but basically nothing too redeeming.
Kristine
I love these Rosamunde Pilcher novels. They are so delightful to read. This one takes place in England and Scotland. A brother and his older sister get stuck in the snow on their way to visit their estranged brother who is working in Scotland. When their car can't move any farther, they walk to the nearest home and are taken in by a man who is grieving the loss of his brother. This man ends up caring for them and becoming very important in their lives.
Jess Molly Brown
I love Pilcher books and it's no surprise as she writes beautifully, but this book hasn't aged particularly well. The heroine is sweet, but seems to need other people to make decisions for her and the hero obliges. I thought, up until the end, that poor Caroline was suffering from an ulcer. Still, it's an interesting look back at 1972 and I particularly enjoyed the character of Jody.
Haley
I love Pilcher's romances because they're old-fashioned, feel-good stories that end with a simple kiss at the end (at least the handful that I have read). Rereading this one again, I lowered my rating as the plot is quite slow--still enjoyable--and I decided that the romance that develops between Oscar and Caroline in such a short time-span isn't very believable.
Linda
One of my favorites by Rosamunde Pilcher. Although Caroline and Oliver fall in love rather quickly, this romantic novel is filled with Rosamunde Pilcher's lush descriptions of life in the Scottish countryside and her keen insight into human nature. Caroline and Jody are likeable characters and Liz is the type of woman you love to hate. A light, enjoyable read.
  • Starting Over
  • A Week in Winter
  • The Return Journey
  • The Golden Cup
  • Colony
  • The Choir
  • Sacred Ground
  • Everything to Gain
  • Winter in Thrush Green (Thrush Green, #2)
20849
Rosamunde Scott was born on 22 September 1924 in Lelant, Cornwall, England, UK, daughter of Helen and Charles Scott, a British commander. Just before her birth her father was posted in Burma, her mother remained in England. She attended St. Clare's Polwithen and Howell's School Llandaff before going on to Miss Kerr-Sanders' Secretarial College. She began writing when she was seven, and published h...more
More about Rosamunde Pilcher...
The Shell Seekers Winter Solstice September Coming Home Wild Mountain Thyme