Start by marking “Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice” as Want to Read:
Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice

Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice

This book offers a systematic look at the connections between learning and leading and the use of learning to inspire and organize for change. It explores two interrelated dimensions of learning leadership: the ways leaders themselves learn about leadership practice, and the way leaders foster the learning of those they work with. The book focuses on a number of important ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Learning as a Way of Leading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning as a Way of Leading

Drick
Jul 25, 2009 Drick rated it it was amazing
This book approaches leadership from the standpoint of learning, and profiles exemplary leaders in the the area of social justice. The value of this book is the breakdown of learning skills, and the perspective of leadership as serving and empowering others. Also the profiles of various leaders related to specirfic skills, while somewhat contrived, is very helpful, as it showed social justice leadership in action. The co-author of this book is Stephen Brookfield, a renowned adult educator.
Ryan Greer
Nov 10, 2011 Ryan Greer rated it it was ok
I feel like I am somehow critiquing social justice by only giving this book two stars. I'm not. But I didn't think this book was all that interesting. It felt more like a textbook disguised with an attractive cover than any sort of narrative approach to learning and leadership. I supposed there's nothing wrong with that, but I just didn't find this "illuminating" book all that illuminating.
Jen
Jan 08, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Great book on leadership through a social justice lens. I enjoyed reading about leaders I have not previously been exposed to due to hegemony's stain. This was a quick read that still helped bolster my views on how best to practice leadership. Everyone intersted in leadership will be well served to read this book.
Carol
Feb 26, 2011 Carol rated it liked it
Good at highlighting overlooked leaders, mainly in the struggle for civil rights in the United States. I like its focus on collaborative leadership, a refreshing change from the status quo of hierarchical, androcentric, charismatic leadership literature.
Ebony
Oct 26, 2012 Ebony rated it liked it
Great teaching tool/primer for engaging students in the leadership points/styles and learning opportunities inherent in the social change movement.
Mike
Feb 14, 2016 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Preskill & Brookfield use examples from the fight for civil rights to describe their "nine tasks" of a leader. Great examples and ideas.
Bookworm24601 Hunt
Bookworm24601 Hunt rated it liked it
Aug 06, 2015
Shelly
Shelly rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2013
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Eric Wozniak
Eric Wozniak rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2017
Michelle Beckford
Michelle Beckford rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2016
AKWASI
AKWASI rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Robert Anderson
Robert Anderson rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2014
Shane
Shane rated it it was ok
Jan 01, 2012
Aileen
Aileen rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2013
Natasha
Natasha rated it really liked it
Oct 28, 2010
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2013
Bryan Offray
Bryan Offray rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Ali Knack
Ali Knack rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
John
John rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2015
Jordan Peacock
Jordan Peacock rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2015
Julianna Schock
Julianna Schock rated it it was ok
Nov 27, 2016
Dayna
Dayna rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2013
Rosio
Rosio rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2011
Cara Rieckenberg
Cara Rieckenberg rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Oct 05, 2014
Kyle
Kyle rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2012
Kelli
Kelli rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2010
Donald Jordan
Sep 03, 2011 Donald Jordan rated it it was amazing
I count it a new staple. My book of the year!