Start by marking “Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice” as Want to Read:
Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice

Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  6 reviews
This book offers a systematic look at the connections between learning and leading and the use of learning to inspire and organize for change. It explores two interrelated dimensions of learning leadership: the ways leaders themselves learn about leadership practice, and the way leaders foster the learning of those they work with. The book focuses on a number of important ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Learning as a Way of Leading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning as a Way of Leading

Drick
This book approaches leadership from the standpoint of learning, and profiles exemplary leaders in the the area of social justice. The value of this book is the breakdown of learning skills, and the perspective of leadership as serving and empowering others. Also the profiles of various leaders related to specirfic skills, while somewhat contrived, is very helpful, as it showed social justice leadership in action. The co-author of this book is Stephen Brookfield, a renowned adult educator.
Ryan Greer
I feel like I am somehow critiquing social justice by only giving this book two stars. I'm not. But I didn't think this book was all that interesting. It felt more like a textbook disguised with an attractive cover than any sort of narrative approach to learning and leadership. I supposed there's nothing wrong with that, but I just didn't find this "illuminating" book all that illuminating.
Jen
Great book on leadership through a social justice lens. I enjoyed reading about leaders I have not previously been exposed to due to hegemony's stain. This was a quick read that still helped bolster my views on how best to practice leadership. Everyone intersted in leadership will be well served to read this book.
Carol
Good at highlighting overlooked leaders, mainly in the struggle for civil rights in the United States. I like its focus on collaborative leadership, a refreshing change from the status quo of hierarchical, androcentric, charismatic leadership literature.
Ebony
Great teaching tool/primer for engaging students in the leadership points/styles and learning opportunities inherent in the social change movement.
Donald Jordan
I count it a new staple. My book of the year!
Eric Hamako
Eric Hamako marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Sonya Gladney
Sonya Gladney marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Stacie
Stacie is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
Jacqueline Mac
Jacqueline Mac marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Zach Vasseur
Zach Vasseur marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Lucinda Leugers
Lucinda Leugers marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
Kara Freedman
Kara Freedman marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Liliana Mejia
Liliana Mejia marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sarah Price
Sarah Price marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Behnam Majd
Behnam Majd marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Jessica Guzman-rea
Jessica Guzman-rea marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Jaclyn
Jaclyn marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Diane Guinyard-jackson
Diane Guinyard-jackson marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Discussion as a Way of Teaching: Tools and Techniques for Democratic Classrooms Discussion as a Way of Teaching