Start by marking “Changing Habits” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,131 ratings  ·  216 reviews
Readers will be fascinated by the descriptions of convent life as it is experienced by these women. Their crises are deeply moving and strike at the very heart of their faith. Eventually each woman reinvents herself in the "outside" world, the world of ordinary life...and love.
Published April 1st 2004 by Mira Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Changing Habits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Changing Habits

The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber16 Lighthouse Road by Debbie MacomberA Good Yarn by Debbie MacomberCall Me Mrs. Miracle by Debbie MacomberMorning Comes Softly by Debbie Macomber
RRRC - FAC: Debbie Macomber (April 2011)
33rd out of 108 books — 65 voters
The Help by Kathryn StockettThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsGone Girl by Gillian FlynnThe Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk KiddWater for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Best Beach Reads 2013
428th out of 2,337 books — 4,237 voters

More lists with this book...

Dianna
Feb 21, 2012 Dianna rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone who wants to see how it was
Recommended to Dianna by: I am a fan of this author
Shelves: favorites, love
I do not know where to start this review. I already know I am probably going to get some negative feedback, but I really don't care. I am a 65 year old Catholic. I was raised in the church during the time this book is written about. This explains why this religion is almost a thing of the past. The actions of the church is why I stopped going to church and do not believe anything they preached and pounded into our heads. I firmly believe in God, but not the God that they say condemns anyone who ...more
Marianne
Changing Habits is the 70th stand-alone novel by popular American author, Debbie Macomber. It follows the lives of three women of different ages from their first awareness of a vocation to serve God in the order of St Bridget’s Sisters of the Assumption, through their profession as nuns and their lives in the religious order to their eventual rejection of vows and return to secular life. The period from 1958 to 1972 was a time of great upheaval in the Catholic Church and also saw major changes i ...more
Diane Majeske
Angelina, Kathleen and Joanna each had very different reasons for joining St. Bridget's Sisters of the Assumption in the early 1960s. But each was devoted to her faith, and despite the strict, complex rules of the convent and the swirling controversies of the outside world, each stayed true to her call.

But one by one, each woman suffers an unexpected crisis of faith. And ultimately, all three leave the sisterhood for the exciting, confusing world outside the convent walls. It's not an easy choic
Tonya
I really enjoyed the first part of the book. I learned about being a nun and even thought the transition from nun to not was interesting. It seemed like she hurried through the end though after having such a rich story in the beginning.
Diane Ferbrache
Why would three vital young women choose to enter a convent and take vows of poverty and service? What would make those same three women decide to leave and reenter society? Macomber's novel explores the lives of three young women -- one who becomes a nun against her father's wishes, one who enters the convent after being jilted a month before her wedding, and one who was following the expectations of her family. Their lives intersect, but their stories are really parallel.

Each woman's story is
Amelia-Irene
Although this book was written in 2003 (or published anyway), this story line is ending in the 70's, the story line is starting in the late 50's/early 60's when there was so much change coming about in the world, let alone in the Catholic church. The world was changing, the Viet Nam war was gong on and people's attitudes were changing about many things.

I was having to go back to what that time period was like. I admit I was in school during that time, but I also remember the trying time that ma
Mayda
In this abridged audio version, the story moves along rather quickly. Two young women enter the convent, each convinced that she is where God intends her to be, each sure of her vocation. But as the years pass, other circumstances intervene to make them question their conviction to their faith. Macomber does a good job in illustrating the struggles these nuns endure as they make life-changing decisions. She also points out some of the problems that plague the Catholic church. A thought provoking ...more
Lana
The time is the late 1960s and early 1970s. Three young women have taken theiir vows to become nuns. But it is a turbulent time in the world and within the Catholic church. This story follows each of the three young women, from their decisions to join an order, to their lives within the order, their growing discontent, and their decisions to rejoin the world. We see these women as individuals, seeing beyond the designation of nun. One will leave for love, one out of grief and despair, and one ou ...more
Joanie
This book is about 3 women who became nuns-Angelina who left her father and his Italian restaurant-Kathleen who left working at her uncle's "pub" and Joanna who was almost married to a Viet Nam veteran. Kathleen left the convent after being accused of taking money from the church. Joanna ended up taking a leave of absence to sort her feelings out. Angelina's father came one day to the convent and insisted on taking his daughter back home even though the Sister Superior was not going to allow it. ...more
Elizabeth
Is it more stressful to enter a convent or more stressful to leave one? This question is probably not answered in this book. However, this fictional account of three young women entering an order and then eventually leaving it was compelling reading. It was so interesting to see both the maturity and immaturity of these women as they grappled with their faith and their future. I really liked the final chapter in that all three of the women concluded that there was something of incredible value t ...more
Brenda
This is the story of 3 young girls who joined a Catholic convent in the late 1960's. Within 10 years, one by one the nuns leave the order ... due to circumstances occurring within the Catholic Church and within their own secluded lives. The author took alot of time and effort pulling the reader into each of the girl's lives. Great story ... and I even learned a little bit (coming from a former Catholic turned Baptist)!
Sara Pauff
Maria
This was an ok book. Too much sexual reference. It was interesting to learn some things I didn't know about the Catholic Church. It's about 3 girls who become nuns for different reasons and then they later end up leaving the order. Not sure how I feel about that but can understand their desire to marry and have a family. Kind of a weird book for me.
Drebbles
Angelina Marcello, Kathleen O'Shaughnessy, and Joanna Baird all had different reasons for becoming nuns but all shared one thing in common - their love of God and their faith. Nothing about their journey into sisterhood is easy and it is a continual struggle for all three to remain nins in a changing world. All of them will eventually leave the sisterhood, again for different reasons and all must adjust to a world they have long been sheltered from.

“Changing Habits” is a different type of book f
Mina
Story of three women and their separate journeys into, and eventually out of, the convent during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. I liked each story individually, and it was also interesting to read what it may have been like to be so connected to the Catholic Church during that time of social change. I thought the 3 main characters were well developed and likeable. I really enjoyed this book.

But the VERY end sent this down from a 4 star to a 3 star rating. These stories were largely NOT intertwined, alth
A. R.
I was particularly interested in this book because I attended a catholic school from kindergarten through high school. And even though I wasn't catholic, at one time I also wanted to be a nun. (I think it had something to do with wanting to be a teacher.) So I found the background stories of the three women in this book intriguing. I was extremely interested in why they chose to join a religious order and what their lives were like once they did.

I don't know how accurate the portrayal was, but i
Michelle
Debbie Macomber
Romance
365 pages

They were sisters once.

Almost forty years ago, in a more innocent time, two girls enter the convent. Angelina and Joanna come from vastly different backgrounds, but they have one thing in common -- a desire to serve, to join in the community of sisters.

Despite the relative seclusion of the convent house in Minneapolis, they're not immune to what's happening in the world around them. In 1972 Angie's involvement with a pregnant teenager triggers a cris
April Suter
Continuing my Debbie Macomber book-a-thon. I think I have read this before, but I enjoyed it again. I have however think I'm in a rut, I have given way too may 4's in a row.

Anyway Debbie did well writing this novel, which has a strand of history throughout. It also challenges you to stand by your faith and support what you believe with the Bible. The story is about three young ladies who choose to become a bride of Christ and become Catholic nuns. Angelina leaves her father and Italian restauran
Sue
Interesting to hear 3 personal accounts of why nuns leave their vocation. Debbie Macomber begins laying the characters' backgrounds - Joann, Kathleen & Angelina, early on so as the story progresses the reader can almost anticipate what or how the women will respond. Debbie goes into enough history of the Church for the reader to understand the current philosophy for each period of years the story covers.
Cindy
Three women decide to become nuns for three very different reasons and leave the convent for different reasons as well. This book is about the separate lives these women live and their journeys. The plot for this book is original, but the writing seemed to light for the story and the blending of the women's lives could have been richer.
Susan
Having grown up in a Catholic neighborhood in the Northeast I had a "feel" for the Catholic religion, even though this was not what I practiced. This is was attracted me to read this novel as well as the time in history that I could identify. It's a story of 3 young women who enter the convent, leave the convent, and pursue a different life. What I did not know was the customs of a convent - "Custody of Eyes" where they were to keep their eyes lowered - especially around men, every day they were ...more
Janne
Another good book - very different from the Blossom Street series, but the same attention to detail!
I'm not Catholic and I learned some things about that religion.. I think the book was interesting and informative about Nuns - becoming one and what it took to be one during that late 50's to 60's time frame.
The book addressed some negative church issues, but I felt it was respectful and insightful.
One of the things I've never understood about Catholics is the single lifestyle required of priests
Elizabeth
This a story of three women who joined the convent for the usual coventional reason, unlucky in love, brainwashed by parents and the pull of a real calling to the service of the church. In th e end they all left for better reasons all having to do with personal decisions.

What I found intriguing about the story was the fact that it took place in the era of dawning feminism and the women's lives change in many ways for that reason. It also spotlights some of the reasons there is a crisis in the Ca
Karie Miller
I read this book a long time ago but I remember how I was fascinated with the details of a nun's life, especially since I am Jewish. I learned a lot and the book kept my interest. Debbie Macomber's books are such an easy and enjoyable read. I hope you like this book as much as I did.
Jo
Oct 12, 2010 Jo rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: fiction
Not sure what sort of book this is. Can't be a romance, not enough of a love story in it. There also wasn't much of the authors' normal interplay of female friendship. These three had more parallel lives than mutually supportive. The book is about 3 girls who become nuns for different reasons and then they later end up leaving the order for varying reasons. But the book seems choppy and I actually think it would've been better if it were longer. The beginning parts of the book were more develope ...more
Amy
changing habits

A very different book from Debbie Macomber. I liked the first 2/3rds of the book but then the last third turned ugly and a bit shocking for what I've come to expect from a Debbie Macomber book.
Cindi
I LOVE Debbie Macomber, so I should have LOVED this book. I have read many of her books and loved them with all my heart, and I will continue to read her books. This one, however, I couldn't stand. So I didn't finish it.
Cheri Lesko
It was interesting to learn the process of becoming a nun but also gave insight into why it often doesn't work. Also the relationships between nuns and priests was frustrating. I wonder it is still so one-sided?.
Jeanne
This story is about 3 teenagers drawn to join the convent. Each for their own reason has made this decision. Now, after several years, they all leave the sisterhood, for the outside world. A very good story!
Lisa Murray
3 women enter the convent: this traces their aspirations, the way their faith plays out, why they leave the convent and how they survive in a secular world after being shrouded in a habit as a nun.
  • Mending Fences
  • Christmas Kisses (Mackenzie Family, #4 & Those Manning Men, #5)
  • Together Alone
  • The You I Never Knew
  • Touching Stars (Shenandoah Album)
  • Sara's Song
  • Currant Creek Valley (Hope's Crossing, #4)
  • Love Finds You in Romeo, Colorado
  • Beauty and the Beast and Other Classic French Fairy Tales
  • A Spring Bouquet (4-in-1)

Macomber is the author of more than 100 novels, most recently the instant #
More about Debbie Macomber...
The Shop on Blossom Street (Blossom Street, #1 ) A Good Yarn (Blossom Street, #2) 204 Rosewood Lane (Cedar Cove, #2) Twenty Wishes (Blossom Street, #5) 16 Lighthouse Road (Cedar Cove, #1)