Start by marking “Seven Minutes to Noon” as Want to Read:
Seven Minutes to Noon

Seven Minutes to Noon

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  373 ratings  ·  40 reviews
In a comfortable Brooklyn neighborhood, Alice Halpern waits for her best friend, Lauren, at the local playground. But when Lauren doesn't show up, and then fails to pick her son up from school, Alice watches her own life turn into a nightmare. As the police desperately search for Lauren, who is nearly nine months pregnant, Alice, herself pregnant with twins, realizes she's ...more
Published May 3rd 2005 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about Seven Minutes to Noon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seven Minutes to Noon

A mediocre mystery/thriller. The police were busy but never really solved anything to completion. The story was sordid and pitiful. The author throws out so many red herrings that I thought I was swimming in a school of fish. The best scene in the book is the one where our main character talks to the butcher in the walk-in freezer, that was tense and creepy. The most realistic mystery/horror element in the book is the price of housing in Brooklyn.
Katia Lief is one of my favorite authors right now. I found her books to be affordable on Barnes and Noble and I have purchased all that she has written. (I love affordable Ebooks!). This book is very good in the "oh my gosh, what if this happened to someone you know" feeling. I could not help but to actually feel scared for the characters and hope that all turned out well for them in the end. Can you imagine if your wife/husband never returned home one day? How your entire life would turn upsid ...more
3 friends who had children, went to the park together. 2 of whom owned a business. 2 were pregnant at the same time. One of the pregnant women was reported missing. She also had a husband and a 5 yr old son. 2 days later, she was found dead. Her unborn baby was stolen from her as well.
UGH!! How could anybody do that? Crude C-section!! Give me the shivers just thinging about it. Was this a black market scam or what? Did one of the friends--wives or husbands-- commit such a violent acts?? Definite
I don't usually read thrillers, but a friend of mine from college wrote this book, and I'm glad she did. It takes place in the familiar neighborhood of Carroll Gardens, in the familiar social network of a certain type of woman with young children in such neighborhoods, and the victim is one of our own... creepy. But "Kate Pepper" evokes this world with a sureness of touch and ample detail. I guess I'm a sucker for books that take place in Brooklyn.
I found this book interesting in the way it made me suspicious of first one character, then another. I always like mysteries that I can't figure out right away. This story is told from the point of view of a pregnant woman friend of the first victim rather than from the detectives who solve the crime, so we never know completely what the detectives know. The plot was maybe a little far-fetched, but it was good escapist summer reading.
Jun 26, 2008 Karen rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Karen by: Rochelle Hadad
Shelves: entertainment
I learned that I don't like suspense. Once, I watched "wait until dark" starring Audrey Hepburn. and literally jumped out of my seat and ran in to the other room... I should have known that reading suspenseful books would be worse :) Otherwise a good read.
This was third or so Katia Lief book and my last. Didn't enjoy the characters, storyline was hard to believe and ending was abrupt and because I hate to finish a book, found myself skipping through to the end.
I love this book, your interest is peaked after page 2 and you can't put it down!!!
Mar 15, 2015 Singletary rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Singletary by: yard sale, I got taken
WARNING: May contain a spoiler!

I wish there were an option for no stars.

This is a really horrible book. The author blathers uncontrollably with drivel. I had a hard time keeping characters straight. Probably because I lost interest in the story so many times. As for Sylvie, I still don't know who she was, or Analise, for that matter. Was one of them really Judy's daughter?
Now, the thing that makes this SO unbelievable...A little background first. Lauren is a friend of Alice. They are both preg
Vanessa Mellor
Katie Lief is very talented, the way she writes brings you into the story like your there in the middle of it all, the small attention to detail makes her stories so real life. Found it very hard to stop reading as was dreading but excited about what was to happen next. You won't be disappointed I promise. Great read (as all her books)
2.5 stars--Read when author was called Kate Pepper. Exciting and suspenseful through most of the book but the ending just fell apart. Pregnant woman goes missing.
Slow-paced and too long drawn-out. I found myself just scanning the second half of the book, trying to get the big mystery. And when it came, it was a little underwhelming.
Didn't take to this really.It seemed to ramble. The characters where very flat and boring.
Tracy Santoria
This is a hard book to review. I read it on a recommendation from someone. I wanted something other than the romance novels that were filling up my nook so I figured why not.
I know it's going to be a great book when I have a hard time putting it down. Unfortunately I was able to put this one down. Don't get me wrong, the book was good but it dragged in areas and failed to keep my attention.
The concept of the story was great but the presentation could have used more work.
I rated this 3 stars b
Disconcertingly cosy view of Brooklyn - that also never mentions Manhattan.
It was OK - especially since it cost all of 50p - but curiously uninvolving and certainly never scary.
My main gripe (trivial though it is) is that on my eReader I only ever get the option of small / medium / large font & always go with small but in this edition the small font is too large - barely 2 paragraphs per page. It wasn't as bad as when you accidentally pick up a large-print book & it shouts at you but it
Ruby Regnier
This is a mystery book; It has an attractive female detective an FBI profiler and the author makes it all a very "sit on the edge of your chair" type of book.

The reason I read mystery books is to try & figure out the clues to solve the mystery.
Another fantastic little novel from Katia Lief this one however disappointed me in some ways purely for the fact it was quite predictable and a not quite as fast and intense as some of her other novels but overall a good read!
lamish, not all that suspenseful, hard to relate to people who describe others as greedy while trying to buy a 1.2 million dollar home, weirdly neglectful of the children while deifying pregnancy
A tale of murder, tragedy touches the lives of friends, a killer on the loose in Brooklyn with a taste for pregnant women, not the best book in the world but I have read worse
Much slower than her first book - "Five Days in Summer". I read it because I liked the authors first ever book. I have "Here She Lies" just waiting for me to read.
This is my 3rd Katia Lief book and by far the worst. Dont know why I continued to read it. I really liked Alice and wanted the book to be good but to no avail!!!!
Loved the book up until the last chapter. Terrible ending. It was pointless. If the author wasn't going to properly explain then she should've just left it out.
An interesting story with an overly involved plot and very little action. I found the author tended to waffle at times making some passages overly long.
Nov 04, 2008 Dawn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys a goos suspense novel.
This was an "edge of your seat" suspense novel. I really enjoyed it. This was the second book I've read by this author. So far she is two for two.
Dennis Cook
Another really great book. It was full of twists and unexpected outcomes - - I would recommend this to any reader who likes a mystery suspense.
I liked the story. The characters were believable and the story was full of twists and turns. It was a good mystery with just enough suspense...
Lisa Currier
This is an average murder mystery. There were alot of suspects to keep the action going. I didn't really like the ending, it seemed rushed.
this was a good book. it had many twists and turns. but could have had a better ending.
Fand ich sehr spannend und noch besser als den Erstling der Autorin "5 Tage im Sommer".
  • Waterbury
  • Without a Sound
  • My Sister's Keeper
  • No One Heard Her Scream (No One, #1)
  • Cruelty To Innocents (The 911 Abductions, #1)
  • The Value of Life
  • Accidents Waiting to Happen
  • A Witness Above (Frank Pavlicek Mysteries, #1)
  • Section 8 (Jim Vaughn, #1)
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • A Starless Sky
  • Final Breath
  • Closer Than Blood Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 2)
  • The Brain Vault (Stephanie Chalice Mystery #3)
  • Just a Summer Romance
  • Saving Scott (Pine Hills Police, #3)
  • Compulsion (Emily Stone #1)
  • The Final Kill
One Cold Night Five Days in Summer Here She Lies Tödliche Gaben - Die spannendsten Weihnachtskrimis Nur 15 Sekunden