Start by marking “Around the World in a Hundred Years” as Want to Read:
Around the World in a Hundred Years

Around the World in a Hundred Years

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Jean Fritz brings history to life once again in 10 true tales of 15th-century European explorers?from Bartholomew Diaz and Christopher Columbus to Juan Ponce de Leon and Vasco Nu?ez de Balboa?who changed the map and left behind stories of adventure too good to miss.?Fritz approaches Athe salient facts? with playful irreverence; accordingly, the frequently traveled material ...more
Published 1994 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Around the World in a Hundred Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Around the World in a Hundred Years

Jonathan Peto
Mar 18, 2014 Jonathan Peto rated it really liked it
The first chapter very briefly describes the history of exploration before Prince Henry of Portugal financed expeditions to sail down the west coast of Africa. He was angling for a trade route to Asia that Portugal could control and profit from. Progress was slow, but as the title informs you, it set off a hundred years of European exploration that changed the world and had unintended consequences, such as the European encounter with the New World. Most chapters bear the name and entertainingly ...more
Heather
I'm pre-reading several books about explorers and this was the first one. Each of 10 explorers gets a few pages with some cartoonish pictures. This book moved quickly and you could easily read one section per day. That is, if you want to read the book in the first place.

I felt that the author was a tad disrespectful at times. Some of the men were treated as idiots or monsters. Now, I'm sure some of them were not the best of men and I'm sure they did bad things. But those can be stated matter-of-
Jen Ozburn
Jul 25, 2014 Jen Ozburn rated it really liked it
Engaging and funning.

An interpretation for kids with an early 1990s tone (at least for me I guess, since that was when I was a young reader) with a mix of didacticism, political correctness, and humor.

On Prince Henry's exploration and exploitation . . .

"Europeans took for granted that other people were inferior because they were different, and so Europeans believed (or persuaded themselves) that they could use natives in whatever way that suited them. Once European curiosity was unleashed on th
Megan
Sep 01, 2009 Megan rated it liked it
Shelves: kidbooks
Why do we love Jean Fritz? Because she highlights all the wonderful and weird facts from our past in her writing. Because she is an accurate judge of character. Because she packages all her wonderful knowledge into fascinating history book for children. Because she knows about all the explorers who were making trips before Prince Henry the Navigator and still helps me clearly see why he is still so important. Obviously.
My coworker gave me a box of books this year that included this collection o
Jessica
Nov 24, 2013 Jessica rated it did not like it
I was appalled by the inaccuracies of this book found on page 10. The book credits the destruction of the library in Alexandria to the Christians. To think that "Christians did not believe in scholarship" (p. 10) is ridiculous. Throughout history, the Catholic Church - the only Christian church in existence in the year 391 A.D., when the library was destroyed - was dedicated to the preservation of scholarly works. Scientists such as Ptolemy would have been mostly forgotten had not the Catholic C ...more
Susan
Jan 30, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it
Lisa
As always, Jean Fritz brings a lighthearted, witty perspective to world history. Here she gives an account for young children of the first European explorers who dared to sail beyond the shores of Europe, from Prince Henry the Navigator to Ferdinand Magellan.
Teri
Nov 19, 2014 Teri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: explorers
We checked out tons of different books on individual explorers--all dry dry dry! This is the only book you'll ever need! Well written, entertaining, shocking. I'm learning more than I ever learned in school!
Selten Kaninchen
Apr 06, 2016 Selten Kaninchen rated it really liked it
This was a great book, because it didn't go into too much detail, but also gave enough so that the reader wasn't left thinking "wait, what?" This was a good, quick, easy, and informative read. Super!
Jan 15, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Wow! I always learn a lot about history when I read with my kids, but this was a real eye-opener. Each chapter is about one of the 'great' explorers. The writing is fun and easy to read aloud, and there are some fun pictures that add to the experience. This has been a great book for discussing bias and knowing your author! Fritz is very frank about some of the really awful things our venerated Christopher Columbus and his contemporaries did, while recognizing their contributions to history. Quit ...more
Angie Libert
May 05, 2014 Angie Libert rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-alouds
We all really enjoy books by this author, Jean Fritz.
Pierre
Feb 03, 2012 Pierre rated it really liked it
This was one of my absolute favorites as a child. I must've read it three or four times. I learned that the conquistadors weren't saints...a lot were rather mean actually but that they were still doing things that no one else was doing. I don't think I learned the word hubris from this book, but I sure learned what it meant from it.
Bree
Feb 11, 2014 Bree rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-history
Notes:
like all history books, there are mistakes
there are several anti-christian remarks
best for ages 11+ due to violence in stories and illustrations
simply told in story form -- each chapter covers a new explorer
Considering this book is from a ridiculously Eurocentric, Christian point of view, it does give a fairly good overview of a brutal and ruthless part of European history. I only wish it gave a more balanced account.
Pen63
Jun 30, 2012 Pen63 rated it it was amazing
Jean Fritz is a great way to introduce students to history in a leveled reader sort of way. This book contains many exposures to academic knowledge in an easy to digest manner. Good for 4-7th grades.
Jen
Apr 05, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle
I read this a long long time ago. I remember enjoying it. I think technically I own it if I could find it in my boxed up childhood books. It gets checked out a lot in my library system.
B
Dec 09, 2008 B rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-boy, j-nonfiction
J 910.92 F True tales of 10 famous 15th century explorers. Well told.
Michael Waugh
Nov 13, 2011 Michael Waugh rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, history
A good quick background on some of the most influential European Explorers.
Johannes Kristian
Oct 01, 2010 Johannes Kristian rated it it was ok
MCL. It wasn't really a story, and I prefer stories.
Bob Wu
Bob Wu is currently reading it
May 24, 2016
Melinda Hammontree
Melinda Hammontree rated it liked it
May 12, 2016
Nola
Nola marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Libby Shepherd
Libby Shepherd rated it liked it
May 04, 2016
JESSICA
JESSICA marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Cecilia O'Neal
Cecilia O'Neal rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2016
Fivewincs
Fivewincs marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2016
Clark Family Homeschool
Clark Family Homeschool marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Louis Daniel
Louis Daniel rated it it was ok
Mar 27, 2016
JESSICA
JESSICA marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2016
  • Buffalo Bill
  • Bard of Avon: The Story of William Shakespeare
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • Galen and the Gateway to Medicine
  • Making Thirteen Colonies: 1600-1740 A History of US (A History of US #2)
  • Shipwrecked!: The True Adventures of a Japanese Boy
  • The Tarantula in My Purse: and 172 Other Wild Pets
  • Who Was Marco Polo?
  • Meet George Washington
  • The World of Columbus and Sons
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Phoebe the Spy
Jean Fritz is a children’s author who has a fascination with writing historical fictions. She was born on November 16, 1915, in Hankow, China to missionary parents. After living in China for 13 years, Fritz and her family moved back to the United States. Beginning her career with an English degree, Fritz became an award-winning and respected author. She has received an honor for every book that sh ...more
More about Jean Fritz...