Start by marking “The Death of King Arthur” as Want to Read:
The Death of King Arthur

The Death of King Arthur

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  28 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Published 1972 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about The Death of King Arthur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Death of King Arthur

Tyas
Okay, so here's the thing:

1) This review here may contain what you may consider spoilers. But since I think most people have known how the popular legends of King Arthur end anyway, I don't consider what I write as really spoilery.

2) This was written centuries ago. So even if you have the (modern?) conviction that knights are brutal, fierce creatures, no need to ask why the knights portrayed using the high-medieval approach swoon half-to-death because their beloved ones passed away, or why men k
Elise
'I shall quite certainly fight him,' said the king, 'even if I have to die as a result, because I should be a coward if I did not defend my land against a traitor.'

This book should of been called "The story of Lancelot, oh and King Arthur is there as well" because even when the book says it is moving on to tell a story about King Arthur or Sir Gawaine or Mordred it is always about Lancelot.

This book was originally in French and is from the thirteenth-century so I was extremely excited to read s
Ed Smiley
This looks like the same cover, but the page count does not match, mine is a little-bitty-teeny-weenie miniature Penguin, albeit without a penchant for swimming through ice cold water or eating fish.

This is the tail-end of the Arthur legends, and like all ends, there is a sense of loss, which is enhanced by Mallory's archaic, elegiacal, and pensive prose.

(view spoiler)
Gwenhwyfar McIntyre
A lot of people complain that this book goes on about Lancelot too much and isn't at all that interesting, I however found it to be very interesting and a different look on the legend. I enjoyed having Lancelot's character thought out a bit more than he usually is and having more of a focus on the knights rather than just on Arthur.
Ashleigh Marks
A decent enough book but the focus on Lancelot got quite annoying.
Omar Sukkarieh
Omar Sukkarieh marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Alnuss
Alnuss marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
N.W. Martin
N.W. Martin marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Isobel
Isobel marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Ckan
Ckan is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2014
Derek Peffer
Derek Peffer marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2014
Rjj
Rjj marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Craig
Craig marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Nick Bury
Nick Bury marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Velma
Velma added it
Aug 07, 2014
Lisa
Lisa added it
Jun 26, 2014
Daniel Motley
Daniel Motley marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Bailey
Bailey marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Tamrah Cook
Tamrah Cook marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Kean
Kean marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Momo
Momo marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Hilary
Hilary marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Books can be attributed to "Unknown" when the author or editor (as applicable) is not known and cannot be discovered. If at all possible, list at least one actual author or editor for a book instead of using "Unknown".

Books whose authorship is purposefully withheld should be attributed instead to Anonymous.
More about Unknown...
Beowulf Sir Gawain and the Green Knight Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo La vida del lazarillo de Tormes Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Cleanness, Patience