How Barack Obama Won: A State-by-State Guide to the Historic 2008 Presidential Election

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This detailed overview and analysis of the results of Barack Obama’s historic 2008 presidential win gives us the inside state-by-state guide to how Obama achieved his victory, and allows us to see where the country stood four years ago.

Although much has changed in the nearly four years since, How Barack Obama Won remains the essential guide to Obama’s electoral strengths...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Vintage

Scott
I am not a big fan of politics, but I do enjoy reading about topics related to demographics. I bought this book a while back on a whim, as I was curious to know how shifts in demographics in certain states might have played a role in the outcome of the 2008 presidential election. After not touching it for several months, I eventually decided that I should read the book before it became outdated and irrelevant.

Overall, I don’t think the book provides any major revelations on how Barack Obama won...more
Gerald
Provocative argument that Obama didn't so much win Ohio as McCain lost it. This is based on a decline of GOP voters compared to 2004. Now the people who campaigned for Obama, knocked on doors, registered new voters, etc., may wonder about this. McCain, however, was not perceived as a reliable conservative and his choice of Palin was seen by many as reckless. As the economy gained in importance, McCain seemed more a bystander than a player in the solution. The fake-suspension of his campaign and...more
Caitlin
I read this as a summer reading assignment for AP Government. I enjoyed reading it more than I expected. The Introduction was interesting because it went over just how Barack Obama pulled off his win and all the obstacles and upsets along the way. The rest of the book talks specifically about what went down come election day in every state. To put it bluntly: that was boring. Still, as a young person, I think it's valuable to now have a better idea of the mechanics of the 2008 election. Anyone l...more
Bradley
Chuck Todd is a moron. That guy should be banned from TV. I remember him saying on election night, "I predict that race will be less of an issue in Southern states because they have dealt with race in the past, they have a legacy of dealing with racial discrimination." Too bad the KKK still exists you shithead.

Stupid me, I bought this book and realized after reading it that everything contained in this book was garnered from the nightly news or Hardball with Chris Matthews. I want my money back...more
Tom Fuchs
A lot of raw statistical data, but there are some interesting patterns that emerge (the hispanic vote swinging so wholly over into the Obama camp despite the inroads GW made in the previous elections) and some fun conjecture on their part as to which states might be becoming battlegrounds as well as previously-labeled battleground states that are battlegrounds no longer.
David
Although I voted for him, this is not a book gloating on Obama's success. It truly explains how demographics are changing and why he won the election....Most fascinating to me is how Republican the Deep South is becoming and how middle-of-the-road the Mid-Atlantic (Virginia, North Carolina) is becoming. Must read if you enjoy politics.
Jon
This is a very stats-heavy book. The sections on battleground states and receding battleground states are quite interesting, but the rest of the book is rather dry, through no fault of the authors. It's best used as a quick reference rather than a read by a cozy fireplace.
Jason
Wow, 2010 and the slow economic recovery really threw their predictions off. The book is very dated now. That's partially my fault for reading this in 2012 instead of 2009, but it is still interesting to look at the numbers behind Obama's historic election.
Julie
Had some very interesting facts and was primarily statistics-hence the "State by State Guide". My favorite line in the book was the comment after Massachusetts, "the only thing red in this state is their Sox".
Darrell Fisher
Just finished and I got to tell you I'm even more impress with what the Obama campaign did. Its really amazing the organization the Obama team but together. Game changing election Realignment is on the way!
Kevin Christiansen
Interesting read in light of 2010. I would like to see a second edition that was written after 11/10 to see how the numbers have changed across the country.
Nicole Stennett
Really good book to use when writing a persuasive essay on how he manipulated his way in...
At least that's the way I used it
Marjie
Good info. Not for everyone to read though.
Anne
Good breakdown of the state by state action.
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Nathan Reynolds
Nathan Reynolds is currently reading it
May 31, 2014
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Stuart Taylor
Stuart Taylor marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Andrew Tabas
Andrew Tabas marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Talia
Talia added it
Feb 15, 2014
Stewart Mcgillivray
Stewart Mcgillivray marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014
Meilee
Meilee added it
Jan 15, 2014
Peter O'neil
Peter O'neil marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Stranger: Barack Obama in the White House There's an Opossum in My Backyard There's a Hummingbird in My Backyard The Raccoon Next Door: Creatures of the Urban Wilderness