Start by marking “How Barack Obama Won: A State-by-State Guide to the Historic 2008 Presidential Election” as Want to Read:

This detailed overview and analysis of the results of Barack Obama’s historic 2008 presidential win gives us the inside state-by-state guide to how Obama achieved his victory, and allows us to see where the country stood four years ago.

Although much has changed in the nearly four years since, How Barack Obama Won remains the essential guide to Obama’s electoral strengths
Published January 6th 2009 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about How Barack Obama Won, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Barack Obama Won

Scott
May 20, 2010 Scott rated it it was ok
I am not a big fan of politics, but I do enjoy reading about topics related to demographics. I bought this book a while back on a whim, as I was curious to know how shifts in demographics in certain states might have played a role in the outcome of the 2008 presidential election. After not touching it for several months, I eventually decided that I should read the book before it became outdated and irrelevant.

Overall, I don’t think the book provides any major revelations on how Barack Obama won
Gerald
Feb 23, 2009 Gerald rated it it was amazing
Provocative argument that Obama didn't so much win Ohio as McCain lost it. This is based on a decline of GOP voters compared to 2004. Now the people who campaigned for Obama, knocked on doors, registered new voters, etc., may wonder about this. McCain, however, was not perceived as a reliable conservative and his choice of Palin was seen by many as reckless. As the economy gained in importance, McCain seemed more a bystander than a player in the solution. The fake-suspension of his campaign and ...more
Caitlin
I read this as a summer reading assignment for AP Government. I enjoyed reading it more than I expected. The Introduction was interesting because it went over just how Barack Obama pulled off his win and all the obstacles and upsets along the way. The rest of the book talks specifically about what went down come election day in every state. To put it bluntly: that was boring. Still, as a young person, I think it's valuable to now have a better idea of the mechanics of the 2008 election. Anyone l ...more
Bradley
Mar 14, 2009 Bradley rated it liked it
Chuck Todd is a moron. That guy should be banned from TV. I remember him saying on election night, "I predict that race will be less of an issue in Southern states because they have dealt with race in the past, they have a legacy of dealing with racial discrimination." Too bad the KKK still exists you shithead.

Stupid me, I bought this book and realized after reading it that everything contained in this book was garnered from the nightly news or Hardball with Chris Matthews. I want my money back
Tom Fuchs
A lot of raw statistical data, but there are some interesting patterns that emerge (the hispanic vote swinging so wholly over into the Obama camp despite the inroads GW made in the previous elections) and some fun conjecture on their part as to which states might be becoming battlegrounds as well as previously-labeled battleground states that are battlegrounds no longer.
Julie
Apr 30, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Had some very interesting facts and was primarily statistics-hence the "State by State Guide". My favorite line in the book was the comment after Massachusetts, "the only thing red in this state is their Sox".
Jonathan Barry
Dec 03, 2013 Jonathan Barry rated it liked it
Shelves: poli-sci
This is a very stats-heavy book. The sections on battleground states and receding battleground states are quite interesting, but the rest of the book is rather dry, through no fault of the authors. It's best used as a quick reference rather than a read by a cozy fireplace.
Darrell Fisher
Jul 30, 2009 Darrell Fisher rated it it was amazing
Just finished and I got to tell you I'm even more impress with what the Obama campaign did. Its really amazing the organization the Obama team but together. Game changing election Realignment is on the way!
Jason
Aug 01, 2014 Jason rated it did not like it
Wow, 2010 and the slow economic recovery really threw their predictions off. The book is very dated now. That's partially my fault for reading this in 2012 instead of 2009, but it is still interesting to look at the numbers behind Obama's historic election.
Nicole Stennett
Mar 04, 2010 Nicole Stennett rated it did not like it
Really good book to use when writing a persuasive essay on how he manipulated his way in...
At least that's the way I used it
Kevin Christiansen
Mar 17, 2012 Kevin Christiansen rated it liked it
Shelves: political
Interesting read in light of 2010. I would like to see a second edition that was written after 11/10 to see how the numbers have changed across the country.
Shane
Shane rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2010
Luiz Rens
Luiz Rens rated it it was amazing
May 31, 2012
Joe Kaiser
Joe Kaiser rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2009
Chris Johnson
Chris Johnson rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2017
Paul Evans
Paul Evans rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2014
Brent
Brent rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Christopher
Christopher rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2012
Stewart Mcgillivray
Blast from the past. Definitely an interesting read, especially comparing some of the predictions and assumptions the authors made in 2008/2009 with the latest presidential election. Lots and lots of repetitive stats and numbers, so best to read in smaller doses.
Petro
Petro rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
William Jack
William Jack rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2010
Stephen
Stephen rated it it was ok
Jul 25, 2010
Addie Smith
Addie Smith rated it it was amazing
Dec 22, 2016
Ramil  Sumangil
Ramil Sumangil rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2015
Carl Andrews
Carl Andrews rated it liked it
Mar 23, 2015
Charles
Charles rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2009
Gabriel Watson
Gabriel Watson rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2009
Mark Staloff
Mark Staloff rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2014
Robert
Robert rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2014
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015