Start by marking “How Barack Obama Won: A State-by-State Guide to the Historic 2008 Presidential Election” as Want to Read:

This detailed overview and analysis of the results of Barack Obama’s historic 2008 presidential win gives us the inside state-by-state guide to how Obama achieved his victory, and allows us to see where the country stood four years ago.

Although much has changed in the nearly four years since, How Barack Obama Won remains the essential guide to Obama’s electoral strengths
Published January 6th 2009 by Vintage

To ask other readers questions about How Barack Obama Won, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Barack Obama Won

Scott
May 20, 2010 Scott rated it it was ok
I am not a big fan of politics, but I do enjoy reading about topics related to demographics. I bought this book a while back on a whim, as I was curious to know how shifts in demographics in certain states might have played a role in the outcome of the 2008 presidential election. After not touching it for several months, I eventually decided that I should read the book before it became outdated and irrelevant.

Overall, I don’t think the book provides any major revelations on how Barack Obama won
Gerald
Feb 23, 2009 Gerald rated it it was amazing
Provocative argument that Obama didn't so much win Ohio as McCain lost it. This is based on a decline of GOP voters compared to 2004. Now the people who campaigned for Obama, knocked on doors, registered new voters, etc., may wonder about this. McCain, however, was not perceived as a reliable conservative and his choice of Palin was seen by many as reckless. As the economy gained in importance, McCain seemed more a bystander than a player in the solution. The fake-suspension of his campaign and ...more
Caitlin
I read this as a summer reading assignment for AP Government. I enjoyed reading it more than I expected. The Introduction was interesting because it went over just how Barack Obama pulled off his win and all the obstacles and upsets along the way. The rest of the book talks specifically about what went down come election day in every state. To put it bluntly: that was boring. Still, as a young person, I think it's valuable to now have a better idea of the mechanics of the 2008 election. Anyone l ...more
Bradley
Mar 14, 2009 Bradley rated it liked it
Chuck Todd is a moron. That guy should be banned from TV. I remember him saying on election night, "I predict that race will be less of an issue in Southern states because they have dealt with race in the past, they have a legacy of dealing with racial discrimination." Too bad the KKK still exists you shithead.

Stupid me, I bought this book and realized after reading it that everything contained in this book was garnered from the nightly news or Hardball with Chris Matthews. I want my money back
Tom Fuchs
A lot of raw statistical data, but there are some interesting patterns that emerge (the hispanic vote swinging so wholly over into the Obama camp despite the inroads GW made in the previous elections) and some fun conjecture on their part as to which states might be becoming battlegrounds as well as previously-labeled battleground states that are battlegrounds no longer.
Jonathan Barry
Dec 03, 2013 Jonathan Barry rated it liked it
Shelves: poli-sci
This is a very stats-heavy book. The sections on battleground states and receding battleground states are quite interesting, but the rest of the book is rather dry, through no fault of the authors. It's best used as a quick reference rather than a read by a cozy fireplace.
Jason
Aug 01, 2014 Jason rated it did not like it
Wow, 2010 and the slow economic recovery really threw their predictions off. The book is very dated now. That's partially my fault for reading this in 2012 instead of 2009, but it is still interesting to look at the numbers behind Obama's historic election.
Julie
Apr 30, 2009 Julie rated it really liked it
Had some very interesting facts and was primarily statistics-hence the "State by State Guide". My favorite line in the book was the comment after Massachusetts, "the only thing red in this state is their Sox".
Darrell Fisher
Jul 30, 2009 Darrell Fisher rated it it was amazing
Just finished and I got to tell you I'm even more impress with what the Obama campaign did. Its really amazing the organization the Obama team but together. Game changing election Realignment is on the way!
Kevin Christiansen
Mar 17, 2012 Kevin Christiansen rated it liked it
Shelves: political
Interesting read in light of 2010. I would like to see a second edition that was written after 11/10 to see how the numbers have changed across the country.
Nicole Stennett
Mar 04, 2010 Nicole Stennett rated it did not like it
Really good book to use when writing a persuasive essay on how he manipulated his way in...
At least that's the way I used it
Marjie
Apr 01, 2009 Marjie rated it liked it
Good info. Not for everyone to read though.
Anne
Aug 31, 2009 Anne rated it really liked it
Good breakdown of the state by state action.
Sriks7
Sriks7 marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
Giuseppe
Giuseppe rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2016
Trevar Dye
Trevar Dye marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Trevor
Trevor added it
Jan 17, 2016
Chris Carson
Chris Carson rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Ravi
Ravi rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Chad Kesler
Chad Kesler rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2015
Joseph
Joseph marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Mia
Mia rated it really liked it
Sep 03, 2015
Kathleen Todd
Kathleen Todd marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015