Start by marking “Homing (Williamsburg, #7)” as Want to Read:
Homing (Williamsburg, #7)

Homing (Williamsburg #7)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Set during WWII, Jefferson Day returns from tragedy in London to Williamsburg, Virginia, his ancestral home. This concludes the Williamsburg Novels and the story of the Day, Sprague and Campion families.
Published June 1st 1997 by Amereon House (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Homing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Homing

Susan
Feb 12, 2015 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my all-time favorite series of books. I love family sagas and this one starts during the Revolutionary War with Dawn's Early Light and concludes with this book covering the first part of World War 2 in England. This one starts with Stephen bringing his English bride home to meet his parents. Evadne is from the English side of the family and not as familiar with all the family stories as her niece Mab is. She is fascinated though slightly disturbed by Mab's resemblance to Tabitha Day, esp ...more
Mallory
Sep 22, 2012 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
World War II breaks open over the Continent and England, making this concluding novel the most suspenseful and tension-filled of them all. Mab’s strange attachment to Williamsburg and Jeff Day continues to grow, even as the families prepare for the worst and offer their services in various wartime activities. They have been through so many wars and battles over the centuries, but this one seems to be the most frightening to all, even to head matriarch Virginia Campion. But all do their best, all ...more
Ellen
Feb 04, 2011 Ellen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I need "comfort reading", I turn to Elswyth Thane's Williamsburg novels, of which Homing, the last in the series, is my favorite. My grandmothers and my mother all read these books before me, and once I went to school in Williamsburg, I picked them up as well. Granted, much of the social views are very dated, but to me that only adds another level to reading these books: how was popular historical fiction reflective of our country's view of its own history in the 1930s/1940s? How do the ...more
Anna Dalton
I didn't care for this final book in the series as much as the earlier ones. I realized that the first several books in the Williamsburg series actually took place mostly in Williamsburg and in other American cities. The last few are set mostly in England. That made them hard to understand for me at times, because there are just so many terms and phrases that I am not familiar with due to the different country and the time period. I also didn't care for the idea that two of the main characters f ...more
Brittany
Oct 18, 2010 Brittany rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Having invested the time to read all seven books, I'm disappointed in how Thane chose to tie (or rather, not tie) things up too neatly, and that's really all I can say about it!
Dawn
Mar 11, 2012 Dawn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
That is no way to end a series.
Marti
Jul 05, 2008 Marti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who are interested in history, women
This was a great conclusion to what I've found to be a very entertaining & educational series of books. Well, so far anyway. I've only been able to get my hands on books #2, #6, & #7 in the series, but they've all been excellent. My only disappointment is that the book ends rather abruptly, before America even enters WWII & long before the characters stories are finished. She does a nice job of coming full circle with the story, but she leaves you with so many questions! It's almost ...more
Sue Suckow
Dec 06, 2014 Sue Suckow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very fond memories of reading this series of books with my Mother when I was a teenager. I still own them and they are about to be pulled off of the bookshelf to be re-read again.
Linda
This is the 7th and final book of the Williamsburg Series, which follows the Day and Sprague families through 8 generations and 4 wars; Revolutionary, Spanish/American, WWI and WWII. This book, as the whole series has a good story-line, compelling enough one cares about the characters. The history in good balance with the plot, is about a well-to-due, loving family with strong heroic-type personalities, always rescuing someone out of something. At times there are rather far-flung, unrealistic si ...more
Gaile
This is the last book in Ms. Thane's Williamsburg series.It is a swift and easy read, beginning and ending in Williamsburg. The main story takes place in England where the British watch as Hitler over runs Europe and then the blitz begins. Nevertheless the characters continue on with their lives. Ms. Thane slips in re-incarnation as one character remembers the life of a character from the earlier books of the series.
Although usually a series bores me by the fifth or sixth book, this one I found
Carolynne
This is the last of the Williamsburg books, and Thane tries to round things off by bringing Mab back to Williamsburg after World War II. In some ways Mab and Jeff seem to re-embody the heroes of _Dawn's Early Light_, Tibby and Julian. I don't like it as well as _Yankee Stranger_ or _Kissing Kin_, but it makes a very satisfying conclusion to the series. Plus, I'm a sucker for WWII stories.
Margaret
12/2012 ** This final book in the series has always seemed to end in the middle of the story, however, perhaps now that the characters have come full circle, there's no where else to go. I felt that Thane didn't handle the characters or world evens with quite the deftness that she worked in some of the previous books in the series. Probably time for her to quit.
Sharon
Feb 26, 2013 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had devoured most of the other Williamsburg novels by Ms. Thane. But this one was such a disappointment to me--especially when she brought in the "reincarnation" of a couple of the characters. I just don't go in for that type stuff, and to me, it cheapened the others. I kept the other 6 books in my library, but got rid of this one.
Molly
May 07, 2008 Molly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
if you're reading the williamsburg series for the first time, do not read this one! too needlessly tragic. yes, the others had tragedy, but this one just ended up seeming nihilistic, especially when you look back on all the others.
Liz
Sep 18, 2009 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-favorites
Linda
May 01, 2013 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In the beginning of World War II, Mab travels to America with her cousin and visits Williamsburg.

(Working from a list of books I read years ago.)
Melody
Sep 10, 2007 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the Williamsburg series, though it did strain my credulity in places. Still, fun to read, steeped in place and deftly done.
CLM
After surviving the Blitz in London, Mab travels to Williamsburg to learn more about her Day ancestors.
Nancy
Jan 14, 2013 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good wrap up to the 7 book series....enjoyed all of them
Barbara
Feb 03, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a very nice end to an excellent series.
Michele bookloverforever
aunt Susannah is there at the end.
Rayni
I was sad the series was over.
Meredith
Meredith rated it did not like it
Jun 24, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Shelley Johnson
Shelley Johnson marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2016
Binnie  Braunstein
Binnie Braunstein rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Lenita
Lenita rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
Lia
Lia marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Challinor
Challinor marked it as to-read
May 31, 2016
  • The Duke's Daughter
  • Bel Lamington
  • Sue Barton, Rural Nurse (Sue Barton, #4)
  • Castle Gay (Dickson McCunn, #2)
  • Son of a Hundred Kings
  • The Provincial Lady in Wartime
  • The Friendly Persuasion
  • The Christmas Mouse (Fairacre, #10)
  • The Nonsuch Lure
  • Losing Ground (Inspector Sloan #22)
  • The Pilgrim Song: 1929 (The House of Winslow)
  • The Parfit Knight
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Rannoch/Fraser Chronological Order, #7)
  • Shake Down the Stars
Thane is most famous for her "Williamsburg" series of historical fiction. The books cover several generations of a single family from the American Revolutionary War up to World War II. The action moves from Williamsburg in later books to England, New York City and Richmond, Virginia.
More about Elswyth Thane...

Williamsburg (7 books)
  • Dawn's Early Light (Williamsburg, #1)
  • Yankee Stranger (Williamsburg, #2)
  • Ever After (Williamsburg, #3)
  • The Light Heart (Williamsburg, #4)
  • Kissing Kin (Williamsburg, #5)
  • This Was Tomorrow (Williamsburg, #6)