Start by marking “Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out!” as Want to Read:
Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out!

Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out!

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  25 reviews
When Turtle is just an egg buried in sand, hungry raccoons try to dig her up. Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out! But a child scares them away and puts wire mesh over the nest to protect the eggs. As Turtle hatches, scurries to sea, grows up, and becomes a mother turtle returning to the same beach to lay her own eggs, numerous dangers threaten her. Sometimes she escapes through her ...more
Published September 2000 by Orchard Books

To ask other readers questions about Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out!

Nov 12, 2010 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Lisa Vegan--thank you!
Sayre's environmental text walks the fine line between scolding and empowering and does so with grace and aplomb! This story focuses on a Loggerhead turtle from birth to the time she becomes a mother herself, with emphasis placed on the many dangers the turtle faces as well as the "helping hands" that help keep it safe. What I love about this text is that it presents the human dangers (such as a jeep driving close to a turtle nest, or a plastic bag floating in the sea looking very like a jellyfi ...more
Lisa Vegan
Oct 19, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of beautifully illustrated picture books; those who care about endangered species & the ocean
First of all I have to say that the illustrations in this book are truly magical! They’re amazing, beautiful, and very special. This is a gorgeous book.

The story repeats the title line frequently, which is fun for young children. On the other hand, there’s quite a bit of suspense as the turtle faces one danger after another. Given that the turtle manages to avert falling prey to a catastrophe, many times due to human intervention of one sort or another, I think the book is fine for kids of all a
A very nice book that traces the life of a sea turtle from before she hatches until she returns to the beach to lay her own eggs. The turtle escapes from danger a number of times often with the help of humans.
My little 3 year old quickly caught onto the refrain of "turtle, turtle, watch out!" She just adores sea turtles and had several concerned moments and came close to crying when she saw 3 sharks near the beloved sea turtle. She is becoming quite the sea turtle champion and has informed us a
Mar 04, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a dramatic story about the dangerous life-cycle of a loggerhead sea turtle, depicting the many threats she faces along her journey. The colorful and vivid illustrations by Lee Christiansen add a layer of intensity to the story and an almost anthropomorphic expressiveness to the animals. Overall, they really complement the tale nicely. The environmental message is clear and is expanded upon by the author's note at the end that offers a pitch for the Caribbean Conservation Corporation and ...more
Lauran Ferguson
Turtle, Turtle, Watch Out! is a fantastic book for young children. It gives then the opportunity to learn about a new animal that they may not have seen before. It also teaches them about things that they can do to protect wildlife animals as well as take care of their environment. I think the illustrations are also beautiful and very detailed.
I lived in Florida for twenty years and only once have I been lucky enough to see the hatchling sea turtles returning to the water. It is pretty amazing. And so is this book. There are real dangers for the sea turtles -- hatchlings and the grown up ones -- and the author mentions them without harping on them.

The illustrations are SO beautiful. There are several two-page spreads that I would love to have a prints.
A beautifully illustrated book that shows all of the dangers that a sea turtle faces in it's survival from birth to adulthood. As the turtle lives its life, it is helped by numerous people, including a lot of kids, so kids get the message that they can become proactive in environmental issues. The illustrations are charming and are a pleasure to look at.
Turtle faces threats to her life even before she hatches on a Florida beach. The text and concepts are appropriate for students in grades 3 and 4, though the 'Turtle, turtle, watch out!' refrain makes the text seem a little young. I enjoyed Annie Patterson's illustrations, which complemented the text and clarified some of turtles adventures; the escape hatch on the fishing net is easier to understand with a good picture.

Recommended for elementary school collections. The illustrations are wonder
Oana Cerchezan
This book would be great to use in a third grade classroom. It talks about the life of sea turtles and what they go through and surroundings that might threaten them. Environmental hazards are something that is very important to emphasize in a classroom. Together as a class we can come up with certain things that we as humans can do to help out our environment inside and outside the classroom. Then maybe after doing this the classroom can brainstorm an idea about what we can do as a community to ...more
Abby Johnson
This book follows the story of a loggerhead sea turtle from egg to growing up in the ocean to returning to the beach to lay her own eggs. Along the way, the turtle meets predators, almost eats a plastic bag, and gets caught in a fishing net (escaping through a special escape hatch called a Turtle Excluder Device), demonstrating the various dangers (natural and man-made) that sea turtles face.

This is a nice, simple story and back matter including information about conservation efforts aimed to h
Meg McGregor
This book beautifully demonstrates the life cycle of a turtle. The ever present dangers to its survival start at birth and continues throughout a turtle's life.

Informative with exquisite pictures, this book will soon become one of your child's favorites.
The story of what might befall a turtle from egg to adulthood, and all the ways that humans can intervene to keep a turtle safe, this is a strong environmental advocacy book. Using the repeated phrase, "Turtle, turtle, watch out!" this book shows how at various moments in a turtle's life, humans can unintentionally endanger them and how little things people do eliminate those dangers. Good end notes filled with ways that people can get involved in turtle conservation. The illustrations remind me ...more
Dani Paiz
Goes through the life cycle of a sea turtle. Good to introduce science and biology to a child. It's good for vocabulary and print awareness. I'd recommend it for ages 3-6.
This book explores the life of a sea turtle from the mother laying the eggs, to the hatching and climbing out of the sand, to swimming in the ocean and growing up where the cycle again repeats itself. Along the way, the turtle is helped many times by humans and it's interesting to see how they are helped. I learned a lot about turtles when reading this book and the illustrations are very well done. I read this to one of my second grade classes today and they were all interested in checking out t ...more
The hazardous life of a sea turtle is presented to young readers. Dangers both natural and man-made face a young turtle at every turn, but she survives thanks to her own quick wits and the help of caring humans. For example, people erect signs on turtle nesting beaches that forbid the use of offroad vehicles, and people clean plastic bags out of the water, which are a particular hazard to sea turtles.

A section in the back explores more in-depth ways to help turtles.
All seven species of sea turtles are endangered. This short book follows the life cycle of one loggerhead turtle as she escapes dangerous situations with the help of humans. I liked that the book showed how people can protect the turtles. The last few pages include information about turtle rescue efforts around the world and background information on all seven species.
James Vickery
This book follows the life cycle of a turtle. This book also shows how human intervention can interupt the natural life cycle. This book shows that there are many factors that can go wrong with a sea turtle. This book urges its readers to take part in saving sea turtles by understanding the needs that the turtles must have to survive.
Karen Arendt
April Pulley Sayre does an excellent job of explaining the dangers a baby turtle faces from egg to maturity. The illustrations are soft and have lots of greens and blues. I would use this with a nonfiction unit on animals (event hough it is classified as fiction).
This is a really great book to use during a science lesson on habitats, the life cycle, or environmental awareness. There are even resources in the back about "helping hands for sea turtles" and two pages detailing different types of sea turtles.
A cute book that my cousin, Megan, would love! It's all about sea turtles and is pretty realistic. At the end of the book are ways that you can help save the sea turtles!
Kathryn Joyce
Story that explains the life cycles and process of a turtle being born. I would use this in a lesson on life cycles or teaching animals. Grades k-2
The beautifully illustrated story of a turtles life from egg to adult. Includes scientific and conservation information.
lovely nature title for the very young that will stand up to many readings.
Megan Lee
Great book and teaches children where turtles come from.
Hope L. Justice
Hope L. Justice marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
April Pulley Sayre is an award-winning children’s book author of over 55 natural history books for children and adults. Her read-aloud nonfiction books, known for their lyricism and scientific precision, have been translated into French, Dutch, Japanese, and Korean. She is best known for pioneering literary ways to immerse young readers in natural events via creative storytelling and unusual persp ...more
More about April Pulley Sayre...
Rah, Rah, Radishes!: A Vegetable Chant Raindrops Roll If You're Hoppy Eat Like a Bear Vulture View