Start by marking “The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking, #2)

The Ask and the Answer (Chaos Walking #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  36,655 ratings  ·  3,766 reviews
We were in the square, in the square where I'd run, holding her, carrying her, telling her to stay alive, stay alive till we got safe, till we got to Haven so I could save her - But there weren't no safety, no safety at all, there was just him and his men...

Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst en
Published May 4th 2009 by Walker Books Ltd. (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Ask and the Answer, please sign up.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica Roth
YA Dystopia Novels
44th out of 768 books — 8,510 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsDivergent by Veronica RothCatching Fire by Suzanne CollinsInsurgent by Veronica RothMockingjay by Suzanne Collins
Best Young Adult Dystopian Novels
43rd out of 344 books — 1,911 voters

More lists with this book...

Catriona (LittleBookOwl)
This was an alright sequel, I didn't love the plot but the ending has left me very curious to see how the trilogy ends! I hope there is lots more action and intensity in the final installment :)
karen
okay, so i loved the knife of never letting go but this one was somehow even better.

oh, jeez, i am afraid i am just going to write a gushing fangirl review here. does anyone mind?

i will try to avoid saying anything too specific, because this book is such a gem, i want everyone to sort of discover its folds and depths for themselves.

because there is a great deal of depth up in here.

the action of this book takes place after a colossal thing happens which separates viola and todd. and this book is
Amanda
**Some spoilers for those who have not read the first book**

I just wrote an exhausting review of this novel, but Goodreads screwed me and lost the entire thing. Pissed does not even begin to cover what I feel right now. All of that brilliance, now lost to the cyberspace void forever.

I didn't so much read the first book in this series, The Knife of Never Letting Go, as inhaled it. Original and disturbing, Ness is not afraid to take some risks as he tells the story of Todd Hewitt, a boy about to
Izzy
“So who are you then, Todd Hewitt? What makes you so special?”
Where to start, where to start? In that first chapter, I was just so proud of you Todd. I feel like we’ve come a long way and it just never stops for you does it?

But seriously, where to start? I thought the last book was good. This one is better. Like, sell your aunt and your soul to the devil kind of good. It's just so full of stuff.

First off, despite my many attempts, I could never guess what would happen. When I gave up trying and
Heather
Ugh, I just can't do it. This book is contrived and ridiculous. The characters of Todd and Viola have reached a level of stupidity that I didn’t think was possible. I was put off by the first chapter, but continued to read for another 50 pages before I finally chucked it. Enough is enough. I had already ignored my instincts by picking this book up in the first place. Having read and been let down by book one, I was hoping that Ness would redeem himself. But alas, no such luck. Not only has Ness ...more
Tatiana
I won't lie, I am really disappointed in and exhausted by this novel. "The Ask and the Answer" is very little like the first book in the trilogy "The Knife of Never Letting Go."

If the first one is a fast-paced chase kind of story, which keeps you hooked by gradual revelation of the New World's mysteries of Noise, Haven, Viola's origin, etc., this book is basically an account of a civil war between Mayor Prentiss's army and the resistance called here the Answer. The book raises various issues of
Emily May
This stunning sequel to The Knife Of Never Letting Go manages to measure up to its predecessor in a way I never thought possible. After reading the first book, I felt sure that Ness would be incapable of delivering something equally brilliant. But he did.
This is an even more important book than part one, though admittedly not quite as fast-paced. It deals with very grown up issues like feminism, terrorism, war and genocide; another reason why I have to reiterate my point that this trilogy should
Isamlq
Dec 04, 2010 Isamlq rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: hunger games lovers; shusterman lovers; YA dystopian
Recommended to Isamlq by: paolo ramirez (mwah-mwah,) tina, aaron vincent
I imagine Viola, reluctant healer, the worst in fact, bumbling around; Todd working, slaving away. And I imagine their growing closeness despite everything that’s going on around them; despite the forced physical distance between them.

This book is a such a visceral experience. And it's more. I read it and I see everything in my mind’s eye. Not stills; I have a movie playing in my head. I sort of gag when I think of the stench from the Spackles’ corner in the morning. I can almost catch a whiff
Rachel Hartman
Most of the things I had issues with in the first book aren't a factor here, except for one. And it's kind of a big one. I'm going to have to meditate upon this for a time before I can write a proper review. Over all, though, I liked this one much better. Ness does relentlessly horrible like nobody else, and I say that with all the love and respect in the world.

*****************

AVAST, YE SCURVY DOGS, THAR WILL BE SPOILERS! Yaaarrr! I don't know why I hate the Global Spoiler Warning, I just do. I
Jo
SOUND THE ALARM: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SLIGHT SPOILERS FOR THIS BOOK AND ALSO 'THE KNIFE OF NEVER LETTING GO'.

You have been warned.

Initial Final Page Thoughts.
SPACKLEARGH.

High Point.
THE RETURN OF TODD. Seriously, I missed him in like the two days between finished the first one and starting this one. Mayor ....President Prentiss. VIOLA! The Answer. Sympathy for the devil. Welcome to the dark side. Mmm, I love the smell of a love triangle in dystopia. The Holy Trinity- Oppression, Betrayal and F
Priscilla
Seriously. One of THE best series I've read...and I'm not even done reading it yet. Why are you so awesome Patrick Ness?

First thoughts:

1) Love Todd.
2) Love Viola.
3) Love Todd and Viola.
4) The writing style is AMAZING.
5) Fully developed characters, plot, and concepts.

Check out my full video review here!
K.D. Absolutely
Apr 05, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Ace
Shelves: ya, series, sci-fi, populist
I read the first book of this series last year. I really liked it (4 stars). My main reason was the imagination of the author to think of something like people hearing another people's thoughts. It found it very fascinating as I never heard of that before. Also, he used this in weaving a very engaging dystopian tale of a small post-apocalyptic town with very memorable characters.

There is nothing similar to that fascinating concept in this second book. There are endless violence similar to The Hu
Clau R.
It's 4.5 stars. Not perfect 5 stars because the first part was a little slow and boring for me, but THEN the final chapters were so awesome and full of twists and turns and UGHHH Patrick Ness just loves to kill the characters I like!

Anyway, this book was so much better than the first one! I think that's because we get to know (not really, though) mayor Prentiss. He's one of the best villains EVER.

Also, I ship Todd and Viola so much.
Apr 04, 2012 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura by: Jo
6 Stars!
I can give six stars if I wanna! (shut up) ;)

“That’s when I think getting thru it ain’t enough.
Staying alive ain’t enough if yer barely living.
They’ll play me as long as I let ‘em.”

People tend to believe because I pick, crawl, and remain in a book for weeks that I am struggling or not enjoying the story. It’s actually the complete opposite. I don’t want the book to end. I can’t and don’t want to leave the pages. The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness became one of those reads for me. A
Anushka
Also find this review on - My blog Don't Stop Readin'

One of the best books I have ever read.
I am not the kind of person to throw around the title of ‘best-book-ever’ casually. I’ve read almost 330 books but only 40 of them are my favourites. So when I say this is one of the best books ever I mean it.

Ask and The Answer is the 2nd book in Chaos Walking trilogy. It picks up right where the first one, Knife of Never Letting Go left off. There is a lot of planning, plotting, bombing in th
Regan
Patrick Ness's writing is a thing of magic. He aptly portrayed the horrors of civil war on both sides, and how war has no clear "good guy" and "bad guy". The psychological aspect of this book is intense, being in the minds of both Viola and Todd as they try to pave a path for themselves in the hell that surronds them is both riveting and humbling.
sanny
"If you ever want to see how small you are in the plan of God, just stand at the edge of an ocean" ~ Mistress Coyle

This book is an ocean. And you are very small. No character is too big for Ness to spare, no reader too large for him to be considerate of their emotions. It's easy to think he's doing things to characters to simply further the plot, to milk us of reactions, and to a certain extent that might be so. But on the other hand I felt this condensed version of what comes from people's inse
Aly (Fantasy4eva)
"Todd," I say again, a catch in my voice. "On the ledge, under the waterfall, do you remember what you said to me? Do you remember what you said to save me?"
He's shaking his head slowly. "I've done terrible things, Viola. Terrible things-"
"We all fall, you said." I'm gripping his hand now. "We all fall but that's not what matters. What matters is picking yourself up again.”

I have a question before I get into the review. Are Viola and Todd too young to have all that's going on between them? (ro
Regina
Eh?Eh!
Man, I suck at this reviewing thing. I really do fall back on summarizing and the personal anecdotes. How to talk about this book?? I appreciate those who can dance around without doing either and still make such a compelling plea to read-the-damn-book-already, http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Posting links to better reviews, usually karen's, is another fallback. Sigh.

The author had explained that the first book germinated out of the idea of what too much information can do; it can drive
Shelby *wants some flying monkeys*
How do I even begin to say anything about this book? This whole series? These books are geared toward young adult books but they are so very much more. Civil war, genocide, power hungry leaders and gender lines. This writer takes all of those and somehow manages to write them down in a way that captures the readers attention and hearts.

Patrick Ness seems to be a master of making the reader go into a book expecting one thing and recieving something that will completely blow their minds. He is ve
Robin (Bridge Four)
In the Knife of Never Letting Go I was so sure who the bad guys were but in the Ask and the Answer it isn’t so clear. There are so many bad guys, so many varying degrees of awfulness and hate, so many wrongs done for the right reason or rights done for the wrong reason. It is so complicated and the gray area is enormous. My feelings for individuals went from one extreme to the other in a very short time frame. The reverberating theme for the entire book is
  “we are the choices we make”

…and wh
Thomas
"Oh my gosh," I sighed in frustration," why can't he just shoot him already? Just shoot him!"

My younger cousin, who had never heard a pacifist like me say such a violent thing, looked up from her Etch-a-Sketch. I remember thinking - dang, if only all sequels were this good.

The Ask and the Answer is the second book in the Chaos Walking trilogy, and continues from the last line of The Knife of Never Letting Go. I won't post a plot synopsis in fear of spoiling it for people who haven't read the fir
Mason
The first 300 pages felt sort of like a lot of set up for the final act, but it was 300 pages I still enjoyed. Pretty sure Ness has torn my heart into tiny shreds with the characters he's created and developed. I'm just not okay after what happened in these last 100 or so pages, and I need to read the third book ASAP...
Alienor ☠ is stuck on the Jellicoe Road ☠

What would you choose if you had the faith of someone you love in yours hands?

Would you betray your beliefs?

I must confess that the only honest answer I can give you is :

Of course I'd be so proud if I was able to say that I'd do the right thing whatever it takes, and I want to think I'd do it. Really. Of course there are situations where what to do is obvious because one of the possibilities is utterly bad. But sometimes - sometimes there's no such thing as a right choice.

The Ask and the Answ
Jessica

Ness has done it again! <3

Let's get the one "complaint" out of the way, unlike the first book in the trilogy, narration alternates between Todd and Viola (spoiler: she lives, but you knew that already because it says it on the back of the book). As much as I understand we needed to see the other side of the story, the female side, and Viola and Todd were separated, I can’t help my preference for Todd’s voice over Viola’s (and in general I just hate it when authors change the storytelling styl
Amy
This is the second book in the Chaos Walking trilogy by Patrick Ness. I absolutely loved the overall plot of this novel but the limited contact between the Todd and Viola left me a little sad!

- We join our protagonists Viola and Todd exactly where events leave off at the end of The Knife of Never Letting Go. Todd is separated from Viola and is made to work alongside the mayor's Son, Davy. In an attempt to take her mind off of Todd, Viola acquaints herself with the Mistresses in the houses of hea
Patrick Burgess
Excessive Violence In Lieu Of Meaningful Moral?

I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one. Actually, to be honest I didn't enjoy the first book so much as I was held in thrall by it. I will give excellent story-tellership its due, but telling a good story doesn't have much to do with actual writing ability in my opinion, but more to do with flare, style and the ability to weave a good plot.

The Ask and the Answer has lost momentum from the first book in terms of meaningful plot weaving. I
Robert
The Knife of Never Letting Go ended with a massive cliffhanger, followed by the words "The End".

The Ask and the Answer starts with the words "The End" and carries straight on. Where the first novel was a long chase story, introducing us to this strange world and the history of the people there, this second novel is not a novel about chases, but about oppression and moral compromise. Todd and Viola are separated, and they have different political paths in a morally murky world of fascism, segrega
Anna
At the time of writing this, I've only just finished this book. But, just SO MANY FEELINGS, I think that I at least have to start this review right now to do the book any justice. If you haven't read the first novel in the Chaos Walking series, The Knife of Never Letting Go, I would strongly recommend you go read it right this second. And you can also read my review, just to fully immerse yourself in the world of Ness.

So we last left Todd and Viola at the end of a gripping a violent chase toward
What did you think about Viola and 1017 narrating? 20 67 Dec 23, 2014 10:17PM
Does anyone hate Mistress Coyle as much as me? 4 19 Dec 18, 2014 03:38AM
1017's Gender 63 417 Dec 04, 2014 06:20PM
What do you think of Davy? 11 65 Dec 02, 2014 07:42PM
who says this quote?? 8 25 Nov 10, 2014 07:46AM
Is Davy Prentiss a good chracter? 4 28 Nov 07, 2014 04:41PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness ---> Starting October 17th 18 20 Nov 03, 2014 04:41PM
  • The Drowned Cities (Ship Breaker, #2)
  • The Curse of the Wendigo (The Monstrumologist, #2)
  • Everwild (Skinjacker, #2)
  • Quintana of Charyn (Lumatere Chronicles, #3)
  • Light (Gone, #6)
  • Behemoth (Leviathan, #2)
  • A Darkling Plain (The Hungry City Chronicles, #4)
  • Solitary (Escape From Furnace, #2)
  • Black Heart (Curse Workers, #3)
  • Flesh and Bone (Benny Imura, #3)
  • Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2)
  • Salt (The Salt Trilogy, #1)
  • The Resistance (The Declaration, #2)
Patrick Ness, an award-winning novelist, has written for England’s Radio 4 and Sunday Telegraph and is a literary critic for The Guardian. He has written many books, including the Chaos Walking Trilogy, The Crash of Hennington, Topics About Which I Know Nothing, and A Monster Calls.

He has won numerous awards, including the Guardian Children’s Fiction Prize, the Booktrust Teenage Prize, and the Co
More about Patrick Ness...

Chaos Walking (3 books)
  • The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1)
  • Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3)
The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) A Monster Calls Monsters of Men (Chaos Walking, #3) More Than This The New World (Chaos Walking, #0.5)

“It's not that you should never love something so much that it can control you.
It's that you need to love something that much so you can never be controlled.
It's not a weakness.
It's your best strength.”
1029 likes