The Complete Roman Army

The Complete Roman Army

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  186 ratings  ·  7 reviews

�An outstanding general study of the Roman military system. . . . The best one-volume treatment of the subject now in existence.��Historian

The Roman army was one of the most successful fighting forces in history. Its organization and tactics were highly advanced and were unequaled until the modern era. Spectacular monuments to its perseverance and engineering skill...more
Published October 27th 2003 by Thames & Hudson (first published September 15th 2003)

Timothy M
I have an odd story with this book, which I bought awhile back after noticing that it was cited in one of my favorite military history books (and, for the life of me, I cannot remember which book that was--I just wrote the citation down in a planner/organizer without any other info...not very smart).

After being unable to find it at any bookstore, or check it out at the library, it became the "odd Roman army book" that I couldn't find anywhere, and I couldn't even remember that stupid citation t...more
Nathan
May 20, 2008 Nathan rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Serious Roman Completists
This book is by the same historian who wrote the book Roman Warfare, but isn't quite up to the same standards as the previous book.

It's not very interesting to read (although the pictures are pretty), and is a very generalist history of the Roman Army, with virtually no references to other works that would allow further pursuit of the subject matter.

I wasn't impressed with the book's organization and am honestly not sure that I made a very good purchase.

It's going to stay in my collection, but...more
Al
This is an outstanding book with fantastic pictures and line drawings. Goldsworthy describes the Republican army and how it transitioned into the professional force used by the emperors. He describes how the army was recruited, how it trained, how it lived and how it fought. Almost all questions are answered. This is a really good resource with a comprehensive bibliography and sets the standard for works on the imperial Roman army.
Wayne
Great book. It was essentially a summary of eveidence and findings about how the Roman army was organized, lead, fought and marched over the centuries. A lot of it is conjecture based upon limited eveidence but it was well written summary and what we know and what we think was true. Very comprehensive and interesting.
Bob
This is a very thorough overview of the Roman Army, organisation, weapons armour etc. This volume not only covers well known ground with respect to the Republic and Early Imperial periods, but is also does a good job of providing insights into weapons and tactic of the late imperial period.
B.R. Stateham
Never read it. was the wrong book. How the Hades do you eject wrong choices in this place?
Mike Anderson
Dec 17, 2011 Mike Anderson rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in ancient warfare
Shelves: history-rome
Very comprehensive. A lot of good information.
Cambrone
Cambrone marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Ben Wand
Ben Wand marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Chris Wolfe
Chris Wolfe marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Stormytiggs
Stormytiggs marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Diane Bleything
Diane Bleything marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Henri
Henri marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Mikos
Mikos marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Robert Meyer
Robert Meyer marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
John Gazzelli
John Gazzelli marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
cheryl
cheryl marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Duan
Duan marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Alex Tardiff
Alex Tardiff marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Amy Harris
Amy Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
  • Warfare in the Classical World: An Illustrated Encyclopedia of Weapons, Warriors and Warfare in the Ancient Civilizations of Greece and Rome
  • Scipio Africanus
  • The Fall of Rome And the End of Civilization
  • Soldiers and Ghosts: A History of Battle in Classical Antiquity
  • Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual
  • The Day of the Barbarians: The Battle That Led to the Fall of the Roman Empire
  • The Roman Revolution
  • Thermopylae: The Battle for the West
  • The Grand Strategy of the Roman Empire: From the First Century A.D. to the Third
  • Chronicle of the Roman Emperors: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers of Imperial Rome
  • The Spartans: The World of the Warrior-heroes of Ancient Greece
  • The Later Roman Empire: A.D. 354-378
  • A War Like No Other: How the Athenians & Spartans Fought the Peloponnesian War
  • The Fires of Vesuvius: Pompeii Lost and Found
  • Rome and Italy: Books VI-X of the History of Rome from its Foundation
  • Dividing the Spoils: The War for Alexander the Great's Empire
  • The Early History of God: Yahweh and the Other Deities in Ancient Israel (The Biblical Resource Series)
  • The American Way of War: A History of United States Military Strategy and Policy
Adrian Goldsworthy was born in 1969 in Cardiff. He was educated in Penarth and then read Ancient and Modern History at St. John's College, Oxford, where he subsequently completed his doctorate in ancient history. His D.Phil. Thesis was the basis for his first book, The Roman Army At War 100 BC - AD 200, which looked at how the Roman army actually operated on campaign and in battle.

For several yea...more
More about Adrian Goldsworthy...
Caesar: Life of a Colossus The Punic Wars How Rome Fell: Death of a Superpower In the Name of Rome: The Men Who Won the Roman Empire Roman Warfare