Start by marking “Passage” as Want to Read:
Passage

Passage

4.48 of 5 stars 4.48  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Andy Goldsworthy's "Passage focuses on the journeys that people, rivers, landscapes, and even stones take through space and time. A cairn made by the renowned sculptor in the Scottish village where he lives reveals the influence that his work close to home has on projects he creates elsewhere. A series involving elm trees, from glowing yellow leaves to dead branches, exemp ...more
Published November 1st 2004 by Harry N. Abrams (first published October 4th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Passage

Mitch
Jan 17, 2015 Mitch rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: art
For those unfamiliar with Goldsworthy's art, familiarize yourself. The journal entries brilliantly complement their photographs of ephemeral and permanent work (Who's to say they are not all permanent or all ephemeral?). I continually wished to step into the photographs and experience the work fully, but alas, they only tantalize.

"Passage" is close cousin to "Time", perhaps a theme developed from time. It frames works made just after "Time" as operating in a smaller scale of time, most wonderful
Lisa
I had never heard of "land art" before reading this book. However, there has been a screenshot of circles of stones along a Scottish shoreline that has moved and delighted me for years. I don't know if Goldsworthy was the artist of those pictures that I have kept and treasured and looked at again and again and again. But I do know that I will look at his images again and again in years to come.

Not only do his sculptures express the human relationship to land and place, but they are beautiful, a
Sheindal
If one is a genius, then one can cross continents, cultures...worlds even. In this extraordinary account Andy Goldsworthy from Anglican Yorkshire comes to New York and manages to turn every other Holocaust Memorial out there, on their heads. This is a living breathing memorial. it is about triumph, it is about the victory of time. I won't spoil it but remarkably moving.
Megan Clardy
beautiful photos and a glimpse into the artist's inspiration. I am amazed at his diligence and the length of time spent photographing his work. I love the non-attachment that is displayed as his work is consumed by nature. Makes me want to go find some brightly colored leaves and pin them with thorns. Inspiring.
Kate
Using found natural materials like clay, leaves, bark, sticks, rocks, and ice, Andy creates shockingly beautiful and fragile structures. Everyone should pick up a book of photographs of Andy Goldsworthy's sculptures, because that's probably the only way they'll ever see one of his works of art.
Kim
Just absolutely amazing. Also an excellent peek into the artist's mind.
Tina
May 26, 2008 Tina rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: art, nature
This is a gorgeous book. Goldsworthy constructs art from natural elements he finds, and this book concentrates on constructions showing the passage of objects in time and space. You can't imagine the beauty and ephemerality of his art until you see it.
Brigette
The photography of Goldsworthy's land art is gorgeous. Since most of his art is ephemeral and/or far away, his books are the best way for most of us to see his work.
Elizabeth
Motivated to look at his books once more because I just watched "Rivers & Tides" again. Collaborating with nature. Sigh.
Keith Climpson
A stunningly beautiful book of inspiring creativity - Land Art has never looked so good!
Lafcadio
More bright assembly on dark substrate. Love Goldsworthy's work.
Marisa
Gorgeous illustrations of inspirational work.
Pat
Dec 20, 2007 Pat rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: create
Combining art with nature, beautiful book.
Ginny
Nov 10, 2013 Ginny added it
Interesting photography
Josee Lavallee
Josee Lavallee marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Kz
Kz marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Kathy Chang
Kathy Chang marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2015
سارح زمن جارح
سارح زمن جارح marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Sammy Farag
Sammy Farag marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Betsy
Betsy marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
Caitlin Doyle
Caitlin Doyle marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Hazel Bauer
Hazel Bauer marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
  • Charley Harper: An Illustrated Life
  • 500 Handmade Books: Inspiring Interpretations of a Timeless Form (500 Series)
  • Joseph Cornell: Navigating the Imagination
  • Illustration School: Let's Draw Happy People
  • Little People in the City: The Street Art of Slinkachu
  • Alphabetica: An A-Z Creativity Guide for Collage and Book Artists
  • Jackson Pollock: An American Saga
  • Sock and Glove: Creating Charming Softy Friends from Cast-Off Socks and Gloves
  • Sister Wendy's 1000 Masterpieces
  • One Hundred Flowers
  • The Bob Dylan Scrapbook: 1956-1966
  • Pilgrimage
  • Fingerprint: The Art of Using Hand-Made Elements in Graphic Design
Andy Goldsworthy is a British sculptor, photographer and environmentalist living in Scotland who produces site-specific sculpture and land art situated in natural and urban settings. His art involves the use of natural and found objects, to create both temporary and permanent sculptures which draw out the character of their environment.
More about Andy Goldsworthy...
Andy Goldsworthy: A Collaboration with Nature Time Wood Stone Enclosure