Start by marking “Introducing Logic” as Want to Read:
Introducing Logic

Introducing Logic (Introducing Graphic Guides)

Introducing Logic makes this important discipline accessible to everyone using the series' popular illustrated format. This easy-to-follow guide maps the historical development of logic, explains its symbols and methodology, traces its influence in a variety of disciplines and shows logic in action in our digital age.
Published 2001 by Totem Books

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Logic

Sanjay Gautam
Apr 22, 2016 Sanjay Gautam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An apt overview of history and development of logic covering classical, fuzzy, and quantum logic.

It also explores:
* Syllogisms
* The attempts to found mathematics on logical foundations.
* Proof theory, Godel's theorem
* Philosophy of language (linguistics)
* AI, relativism, cognitive science
* Chomsky's linguistic theories

All in all it was quite informative and enjoyable throughout: perfectly suitable for a layman.

Mohamed al-Jamri
I got this book as a gift for being the "Reader of the Month" for February in Bahrain Readers Challenge.

It is short and illustrated with nice artworks. It uses a historical approch to logic. From Aristotle to Turing and Chomsky many ideas are explored. These include Greek paradoxes, the scientific method, proof theory, Gödel's incompleteness theorem, relativism, intuitionism and several others.

My main take on the book is that is doesn't explore these ideas in any detail, it merely let's you know
C. Derick
Nov 01, 2014 C. Derick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable crash course through the history of modern logics. It covers the development of prepositional, predicate, fuzzy, and quantum logic as well as the influence of Godel's mathematical theories and Chomsky's linguistic theories on the development of logic. It only hints at modal as well as first- and second-order logic, but for a brief text that covers syllogisms, predicate logic, truth-tables, paradoxes, proof theory, Godel's incompleteness theorem, fuzzy logic, and even more lingui ...more
Tracy E.
Jul 27, 2015 Tracy E. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun stuff. Follows the history of logic from a Western perspective in a chronological order. Having some knowledge of philosophy and/or computer science will help. I've only dabbled in philosophical logic, but my experience in computer programming/logic made it easier for me to understand the concepts once I looked up logic symbols and philosophy terms that were unfamiliar to me. Something to keep in mind. Or just dive into it and look up things as you go. Either way, it's an entertaining, light ...more
Apr 05, 2011 Sinn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mit "Logik" haben sich die Macher der Sachcomic-Reihe auf ein Terrain gewagt, das glatter nur schwer sein könnte. Nicht zuletzt deshalb, weil es in dieser Disziplin stark auf die sprachliche Verarbeitung, auf die Qualität ankommt.

Wie auch alle anderen Teile dieser Reihe ist es ein tolles Übersichtswerk mit teilweise sehr unterhaltsamen Comic-Strips. Das diese nicht nur komödiantischen, sondern eben auch bildenden Wert haben, kann als eine der zentralen Stärken des "Comics" verstanden werden.

Oct 14, 2015 Gökhan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bu kitap kötü, dolayısıyla kitaplar kötü...

Kitaplar kötüdür, bu bir kitaptır, dolayısıyla bu kötüdür...

Kötü kitaptır, dolayısıyla kitaplar kötü olur...

Kötüler iyi de olabilir, bu kitap bazıları için iyidir, dolayısıyla ben bu kitabı sevmedim...

Aug 13, 2015 Pumpkinpi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lot more lighthearted than most other books, but it isn't humorous at all, so the cartoons function as diagrams instead of attention grabbers. It is very well thought out, though, and still manages to keep the reader entertained. Altogether a very good book.
Aug 27, 2013 Richard rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Second time through this book. Intro books with illustrations do a great job piquing my interest about subjects I will probably never have the gumption or time to study formally. I am able to follow this chronological treatment of the field of logic up until the part of the book where Bertrand Russell and Alfred North Whitehead come into view (Early 20th century.) After that the subject area splinters in such a way that the text's treatment the various developments in logic becomes increasingly ...more
Jan 23, 2016 Will rated it liked it
Shelves: books-2011
Edition 1-84046-585-9

Validity only guarantees the truth of the conclusion if the premises are

For Wittgenstein, logic was something that both the world and language must have in common.

A tautology is true in all situations, such as: 'Either it is raining or it is not raining.'

Sorites paradox highlights a lack of rules to determine how many grains of sand make a heap.

Physical objects themselves are nothing more than conventient myths that do the job of explaining and predicting experienc
Eric Pecile
As far as the Introducing series is concerned, this book is a bit of a disappointment. It provides a general overview of Aristotelian streams of logical thought but completely ignores those of Plato which are necessary to understand current intellectual theories. As someone already versed in much of the content, I found the explanations superficial and of little use to someone needing an actual guide on the subject.
Ifigeneia K
May 22, 2016 Ifigeneia K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A short, highly concentrated, book to get you started on the basics of logic, its history and basic philosophy, major figures and their theories, the evolution of the discourse of its separate branches, as well as its real-life applications and aspirations that render it an important field of study.
A good start for anyone interested in delving deeper into the subject.
Louisa Keron
Apr 06, 2016 Louisa Keron rated it liked it
Even though half of the book is images, I found some of it quite difficult to understand. Maybe you guys are smarter than I, so you won't have that issue. The transition between sections was pretty good.
Abdullah Basaran
Aug 05, 2015 Abdullah Basaran rated it liked it
Islam dünyasinin felsefe tarihinde belki de en etkili oldugu alan Mantik'tir. Hele Farabi ve Ibn Sina'nin etkisi, Ebheri felan. Tamam klasik mantiktan pek bahsedilmiyor ama isimlerinin geçmemesi bile sasirtici. Bu yüzden 3. Yoksa iyi kitap gibin.
José Oroño
Aug 16, 2016 José Oroño rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: math-and-logic
I'd forgotten I even had this book in my currently-reading list. Ooops.

It's, for the most part, an overview of the history of the field that casually rushes through a couple of propositional calculus exercises before jumping straight into fuzzy logic, quantum logic and some basic philosophy and linguistics. It didn't teach me a whole lot about symbolic logic but, nevertheless, it was a breeze to read and further sparked my curiosity for the subject which is what, I'm sure, the author intended.

The next sentence is false.
The last sentence is true. Or not not.
Jan 05, 2015 Bibi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plain and simple explanation of the theory of logic. Interesting and very accessible. However, the graphics didn't add a whole lot, except for a diagram or two. Didn't bother me either.
Marc Hutchison
May 16, 2015 Marc Hutchison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A straightforward introduction to the subject that is easy to read and understand without oversimplification. Worthwhile.
Apr 20, 2015 Vahid rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
just amazing .... explains the core concepts of logic in a very friendly and accurate way.
So far so good. Should help a bit with my essay arguments
Dec 17, 2011 Jimmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
My favorite book in the series. Just terrific.
Oct 14, 2012 Mette rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I absolutely LOVE these series!
Jan 28, 2010 Eric rated it liked it
Ah. Comic Books.
Patricia Kaiser
Patricia Kaiser marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
fatimah razzaq
fatimah razzaq marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2016
Francisco J.
Francisco J. marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Genevieve Morgan
Genevieve Morgan rated it it was ok
Oct 15, 2016
John Beatty-Wanchik
John Beatty-Wanchik marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2016
Arash Ashrafzadeh
Arash Ashrafzadeh marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2016
  • Introducing Time (Introducing (Icon))
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Baudrillard (Introducing)
  • Chaos for Beginners
  • Introducing Quantum Theory
  • Introducing Critical Theory
  • Introducing Consciousness (Introducing... S.)
  • Introducing Linguistics
  • Introducing Ethics
  • Introducing Nietzsche (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Wittgenstein
  • Introducing Derrida
  • Introducing Semiotics
  • Introducing Kant (Introducing)
  • Introducing Mind & Brain
  • Introducing Machiavelli (Introducing...(Totem))
  • Introducing Buddha (Introducing)
  • Psychology: A Graphic Guide to Your Mind & Behaviour

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

Introducing Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 83 books)
  • Introducing Epigenetics: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Literary Criticism: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Alain Badiou: A Graphic Guide (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Alain Badiou: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Slavoj Zizek: A Graphic Guide
  • Introducing Sartre (Introducing)
  • Introducing Existentialism (Introducing...)
  • Introducing Aesthetics
  • Introducing Anthropology (Introducing)
  • Introducing Levi Strauss and Structural Anthropology

“only because language has something in common with the world that it can be used to picture the world, so it is only because of logic that our sentences have meaning at all.” 0 likes
“Discovering Tautologies Logical symbols may be used in combination, which can help us calculate the truth condition of any logically complex sentences. For example, “p v ¬p”, which produces the following Truth Table:   When a formula only has T’s under it in a Truth Table, it means that it is true in all situations. The sentence “Either it is raining or it is not raining” cannot be false. Logicians call this a tautology. In a tautology, one truth follows from another of necessity only because of the logical syntax. So we know that any sentence with the same logical syntax will always be true. This” 0 likes