Start by marking “The War Diaries of "Weary" Dunlop (A Penguin Original)” as Want to Read:
The War Diaries of "Weary" Dunlop (A Penguin Original)

The War Diaries of "Weary" Dunlop (A Penguin Original)

An account of Sir Edward Dunlop's experiences as a medical officer in the prisoner of war camps in Java and on the Burma-Thailand Railway.
Published March 28th 1991 by Penguin Books Ltd (first published September 17th 1987)

To ask other readers questions about The War Diaries of "Weary" Dunlop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The War Diaries of "Weary" Dunlop

Susan Cartwright
Feb 29, 2012 Susan Cartwright rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Facinating. Detailed daily life of a POW camp from a doctor's POV. Two of my favorite authors were interned in Changi, Laurens Van Der Post (A Story like the wind) and James Clavell(Shogun, King Rat, etc) Weary chats about them in this diary when they came in and how they affected the camp. Manditory Commonwealth countries WW2 reading, but interesting from an American point of view, too.
Carole Hazell
Dec 15, 2015 Carole Hazell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A most deserving 5 stars.
This is one of the finest books I have read. Having been somewhat underwhelmed by the Booker Prize winning 'Narrow Road to the Deep North', I am so grateful to Flanagan for stimulating my interest in Weary Dunlop's account of this period.
My own review could scarcely do justice to the writings and records of this great man, or his contemporaries, a number of whom contributed illustrations to the journal.
If you need to read a review, do so; all I can say is, "Read the bo
Selena Hanet-Hutchins
Jan 19, 2014 Selena Hanet-Hutchins rated it really liked it
Lent to me by Win, a visitor to the community reading room and a nurse. If you think you're having a bad day requiring a lot of frustrating workarounds, dip in. Dunlop describes with simplicity experiences that show the struggles but also the inventive triumphs in order to survive Java and the Thai-Burma Railway. There's a lot of stuff that's military and medical (especially acronyms) but, as with 'big' words, one learns well enough from the context.
Bec
Dec 15, 2015 Bec rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think every Australian should read this book. Personally I have read it numerous times and every time I do I come away with more respect and pride of our Anzacs. Every high school student should be reading this in when being taught modern history.
Melinda Irvine
Melinda Irvine rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2016
Tom
Tom rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2014
Grahame Collard
Grahame Collard rated it really liked it
Jan Farndale
Jan Farndale rated it it was amazing
Paul Anforth
Paul Anforth rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Conn O'grady
Conn O'grady rated it it was amazing
Colleen Brad
Colleen Brad rated it liked it
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Tonii
Tonii rated it really liked it
Rhiannon Otto
Rhiannon Otto rated it really liked it
Aug 12, 2016
Ailish
Ailish rated it it was amazing
May 15, 2010
Rod
Rod rated it it was amazing
JAMES reason
JAMES reason rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Beatrix
Beatrix rated it it was amazing
Rujirek Falcon
Rujirek Falcon rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2013
Louise
Louise rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2014
Geoff
Geoff rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2013
Mr Martyn R Nixon
Mr Martyn R Nixon rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
Stuart Walker
Stuart Walker rated it liked it
Mike
Mike rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Tim
Tim rated it really liked it
Russell
Russell rated it really liked it
P
P rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Leir
Leir rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2011
Sue Maycock
Sue Maycock rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2016