Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs

Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  30 reviews
Poetry. Ellen Kennedy's debut full-length poetry collection. "When I finished reading SOMETIMES MY HEART PUSHES MY RIBS I had to go to lunch with people in a restaurant with enormous beverages and misnamed sandwiches. I kept tapping my hand on the table and I didn't listen to anything anybody said. All I wanted to do was go home to read and write the kind of poetry Ellen K...more
Published March 20th 2009 by Muumuu House

Ghosts Can Bleed by Tracie McBrideWatering Heaven by Peter TieryasCritique by Daniel I. RussellFrom Where I Stand by Robert   ZimmermannEverything is Quiet by Kendra Grant Malone
Great Small Press Books and Chapbooks
19th out of 189 books — 138 voters
Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Em... by Megan BoyleThe Brandon Book Crisis by Brandon Scott GorrellDuring My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present by Brandon Scott GorrellSometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs by Ellen Kennedy
Muumuu House books
4th out of 4 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

M.F. Soriano
Because I feel that book reviews should focus on the book being reviewed, I'm going to try not to write very much about Muumuu House (the publishing company behind this book) or Tao Lin (the founder of Muumuu House). Having said that, I must admit that writing about SOMETIMES MY HEART PUSHES MY RIBS without focusing on Muumuu House or Tao Lin seems like a daunting task for two reasons: first of all, the significance of this book being Muumuu House's first release outweighs, in my opinion, the si...more
Sam Pink
i read this book while sitting on a couch in chicago. i was reading it and listening to the traffic at the same time. there were five other people in the room. they were watching KNIGHT RIDER. someone said, "what are you reading?" i held up the book so they could read the title. then they went, "oh" and went back to watching KNGITH RIDER.
Luna Miguel

Posiblemente uno de los mejores libros de literatura joven norteamericana que he leído este último año.
Hanna
This book is not what I would call poems - something more along the lines of pointless ramblings. If I wanted to read something like this I could have easily browsed the internet for a livejournal of a fifteen-seventeen year old hipster recording their pointless thoughts. This book was uninteresting and lacked any depth that I feel poems should usually contain. I would have given it three stars if the poems were beautiful ramblings, but these fell far from that even.

After browsing some other e-...more
Jeffrey
The first book published by writer Tao Lin's MuuMuu House, Kennedy's collection of poetry starts off with a funny piece that stretches the limits of prose poetry. She's at her best with poems like 'How To Hold A Person' and 'I Made the Man at the Grocery Store Nervous,' wrapping up emotions inside seemingly matter of fact constructions of words. There's sincerity behind the poems that reigns in the humor just the right amount.
Marcus
There is a sexy short story in three parts that kicks off the collection. The two main characters are Woody Allen and Ned Vizzini. I had to look up Ned Vizzini. I guess he writes about anti-depressants. And young adult books too. Ned looks young and sexy from the pictures and makes me feel better after medications.

We are all know what Woody looks like. Have you seen him recently?

There is heart in this collection. Heart everywhere. The heart is flat/deadpan and it moves me. A lot.

I mean, sure i...more
Vicky
I bought this book so that I can have a copy of "Jean Rhys", one of my favorite poems. There were other good pieces in here, too. The shit poem was funny. The boredom and sadness is true. A couple of the images in "Brighter and Clearer" are great—

After I make you feel indifferent towards me my heart turns into a small desert hamster running very quickly on an exercise w...more
Christine
Quite a playful, experimental poet, Ellen Kennedy personalizes each piece in this collection with a unique candor and honesty that I think many writers can learn from. Having created the most original young adult poetry I've read, Kennedy does not hold back from capturing the odd qualities of everyday life with a lens of nonchalant maturing, an interesting subject that should be explored more often.
Roxane
There are brilliant moments in this book, and the desperate pace of many of the pieces is intriguing. At the same time, some of the pieces read like insane ramblings, but not in a good way. Its like the author is trying way too hard to be edgy and out there and different but only ends up writing more of the same of that writing that seems to be pervasive these days--all style no substance.
Kevin
There are definitely some 5-star moments in this little book, especially the poems, which are often revealing, funny, and playful. There are other times when the writing is just too messy (or weirdly robotic and flat) to enjoy (especially the stories). But if she keeps developing her own voice and style, she'll certainly offer greater books in the future.
Darren C
(a line i liked)

"After I have an orgasm my body feels like a sombrero-shaped galaxy slowly expanding in the eyepiece of a 4th grader's telescope"
amy
i found this poetry collection funny and delightful. i do not think you are a retarded faggot, ellen kennedy.
Kathleen
Reviewing it for an upcoming issue of Octopus.
Jason
Apr 20, 2009 Jason added it
I've interviewed Sam Pink, I've exchanged several e-mails with Sam Pink, I've read his stories on-line, I have read his blog and I have even read marveled at his artwork, yet as I read through his debut collection, I don't know if I know anything more about Mr. Pink then when I started. Much of his book is written in first person, but I find myself asking what person. At first glance this is a series of surface exchanges, mundane encounters filtered through a slightly damaged mind, but as the br...more
Christine
Fabian Contreras
Aug 30, 2009 Fabian Contreras rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Nobody
Shelves: 2009, american, poetry, fail
This is the worst book I've ever read, it only took me about 10 minutes to read the damned thing but even then I still feel it was a waste of my time. These "poems" offer nothing that I would call intriguing and they definitely lack substance. I hope this style of writing dies out, quick. I feel generous even rating this book 1 star. At all costs AVOID this over-hyped pretentious garbage.
Parker
You know that embarrassing pretentious angsty 14 year old bullshit we all used to write in the back of our notebooks in study hall? Well, it's 2013 now and all that idiotic nonsense is entitled to be on blogs or, sadly, in books.

Wanna spend 45 minutes reading juvenile, asinine ramblings about the smells of piss or what kind of poops you have when you eat pizza? Ellen Kennedy's for you.
Jeff Hoiland
I keep thinking "wonderful" when I think about how I would review this book to someone

I'm trying to think of other things to say but kinda just keep coming back to or repeating the word "wonderful" in my head, like not thinking about the word but just saying it in my head...

I liked this book.
Tyler Crumrine
Good little book of poetry and prose. Very nice of MuuMuuHouse to send me a free copy. There's something to be said for the skillful articulation of depression. As much as Kennedy talks about being alone, she offers at least some kind of companionship with her reader. Hightlight: "Manatees"
Holly
every time i try to read poetry
i'm reminded of why
really
seriously
poetry probably needs
to be something
that isn't writing about celebrities
while on the toilet
in jerky line breaks
Ben Bush
The copy of this that I got from Mellow Pages had some pretty intense notes in it and some ballpointed illustrations of different lines. Also, a landscape picture of the NJ turnpike that made me think it had been read on a bus ride.
Andres Lara
Ellen Kennedy writes funny little absurdities and calls them 'poems.'
Some are cute and others are very non-sensical and seem forced.
Read it in like an hour.
For the most park this book was pretty boring...
Michael
A quirkly, at times inconsistent work of postmodern poetry. Some of the pieces are exceptionally brilliant, and others fall flat. Still, a very exciting young poet and I look forward to her future work.
Andrew
I really enjoyed this collection, and I find myself rereading many of the poems. The short story "Probably Going to Die Alone" is my favorite. I hope Ellen Kennedy publishes new writing soon.
Georgiana
I have increased my rating for it since I realized that it was published before "Richard Yates" (the novel), in which case I give Ellen Kennedy points for originality.
matthew
i received 3 copies of this book from muumuu house. im happy i have 3 copies of this book. i look forward to giving them to people who i think will appreciate this book.
Russ Marshalek
Quirky, moving, upsetting, tiny, fragile, weird and lovely.
Zach
"Shit Poem" is the most awful and wonderful thing I have ever read.
  • During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present
  • Selected Unpublished Blog Posts of a Mexican Panda Express Employee
  • Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy
  • Everything Was Fine Until Whatever
  • Eat When You Feel Sad
  • I am Going to Clone Myself Then Kill the Clone and Eat It
  • what purpose did i serve in your life
  • I Will Never Be Beautiful Enough to Make Us Beautiful Together