Start by marking “Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)” as Want to Read:
Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr, #2)

Where the Dead Lay (Frank Behr #2)

After the sudden disappearance of two high-priced detectives, former Indianapolis cop Frank Behr—the brooding private investigator introduced in David Levien’s nationally acclaimed novel City of the Sun—is pulled into a case that is harrowing, relentless, and, ultimately, personal.
Early in the dark, Indianapolis morning, Frank Behr’s friend and mentor is murdered—with no m
Published July 7th 2009 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Where the Dead Lay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Dead Lay

John Hood
Aug 08, 2010 John Hood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bound: Solitary Men - SunPost Weekly July 1, 2010
Lee Child, David Levien and the Phenomenon of the Walk Alone
John Hood

Blame Michael Connelly.For it is certainly he who first made a modern day cottage industry out of the phenomenon of the walk alone. No, he didn’t do it first (that’s a whole â€nother essay). But he did do it bigger and badder and stronger. In fact, since 1992’s TheBlack Echo Connelly’s Harry Bosch has come to epitomize the type – so much so that it c
Victoria
This book, though it claims to be the sequel to Levien’s debut novel, City of the Sun, has a completely different feel to it. In fact, if I had received this with the names stripped or blanked out, I would have guessed that it wasn’t even written by the same person. The methodical build-up, which so dominated his first novel is missing here - which was more surprising than displeasing, but with its loss, so too is the dark, foreboding atmosphere dispelled. In its place, there is nothing more tha ...more
Jim
Jun 13, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing
I love Levien's work and the character of Frank Behr is a national treasure. Gritty writing and terrific hard-boiled dialog make this a compelling thriller and a must for anyone who still misses Raymond Chandler.
Glenda Bixler
Jul 18, 2009 Glenda Bixler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
Where The Dead Lay
By David Levien
Transworld Publishers
ISBN: 9780593059340
315 Pages

Lee Child named David Levien as the new must-read thriller writer...I totally support that assessment! After reading Levien’s latest book, Where the Dead Lay: How Far Will One Man Go To Avenge A Friend’s Murder? due out on July 2nd (UK), I promptly ordered his first book!

Frank Behr is a fantastic character! A former cop who, as oftentimes happens, lost his job because his boss didn’t like him. Now that boss has com
Karen
Feb 26, 2017 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overly-contrived plot, but capable writing and you are rooting for the lead characters.
Larry H
I mostly read two types of books: general fiction and mysteries/thrillers, with a little bit of nonfiction thrown in for good measure. When reading mysteries or thrillers, I tend to gravitate toward books anchored by a central character—a private detective, cop or other individual thrown into the investigative world.

David Levien's Where the Dead Lay fits that category well. It's the second book featuring former Indianapolis cop (and private investigator) Frank Behr, who has a great investigativ
Michael
Frank Behr arrives at his friend, Aurelio's martial arts studio and finds he's been murdered. Since Aurelio is so good in martial arts, by the look of things, it must have taken at least three men to overcome Aurelio.

Frank sets out to find his friend's killers. As he begins searching, he's asked to look into the disappearance of two private investigators from one of the prestige agencies in Indianapolis. At first, he declines but then his old boss, Capt. Pomeroy, gets him to reconsider with the
Chris Matney
Apr 08, 2016 Chris Matney rated it it was ok
This is the first novel from Mr. Levien that I have read. Where the Dead Lay is a serviceable detective thriller. I will admit that I like twisty thrillers more than police procedurals, so this novel is a bit outside my wheelhouse. The writing is clear and the pacing is good for the most part. The primary interest of the main character, Detective Frank Behr, is jiu-jitsu - which leads to rather long fight sequences which interrupt Mr. Levien's normally fast-paced narrative.

I have two major comp
Jacqueline
Jan 10, 2016 Jacqueline rated it liked it
This was the third book I read in 2016. I had purchased it at my local library’s annual book sale. I didn’t realize that it was a second book in a series but I don’t think it hurt my reading experience. It was an okay read but I’m not jumping to continue the series. At times the novel read as though it was nothing more than a fleshed out outline, with just enough details to get you to turn the page. It redeemed itself a little by the last 50 pages but it wasn’t enough to add this book to my favo ...more
Kelsey Mccluskey
May 02, 2016 Kelsey Mccluskey rated it liked it
When I received this book as a gift I did not know that it was part of a series but it looked interesting and I was up for a new author. Where the Dead Lay follows former detective turned Private Eye, Frank Behr on a journey of discovery as he tries to find out what happened to his trainer and friend who was found murdered. Along the way he is brought in to help the police solve a different case that may or may not be connected but is full of nasty surprises and interesting characters. This whol ...more
Kristy Budner
Sep 27, 2015 Kristy Budner rated it it was amazing
This is the second in the Frank Behr private investigator series. I stumbled on the first book in the series by accident but thoroughly enjoyed it and I have downloaded all 4 audio books in the series. Frank is a flawed individual who has gone through great tragedy (the loss of a child) and has a somewhat depressed outlook on life, but he's learning to love and live again although it's a slow process. Good story plot (not much mystery, pretty simple, entertaining) but as I said in my review of t ...more
Kurt
Sep 06, 2010 Kurt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Second of the Frank Behr novels, this one was a major disappointment. The first one is creepy as hell, straightforward, and introduces a tough, disenfranchised ex-cop to a world of outrageous slavery south of the border. I was dying to read this next installment. It was ... aw, I'm spending too much time on this. Avoid this book. I wanted to symbolically throw it in the kitchen trash can, but realized I could probably get credit for it at Powell's. Maybe it's time I really start reading Elmore L ...more
Rachael Goldfarb
Nov 23, 2015 Rachael Goldfarb rated it it was amazing
Based on what I remember of this book (since I read it back in 2010), this book was awesome. Honestly, I am very horrible at remembering the names of novels and books. However the plot to this book left such a good impression on me that every couple of years, despite not being able to remember the name, I heavily search for it, just so I can at least try to read this book again now that I am older.

I never knew that this book was a part of a series though. I now plan on buying all of the books i
Qazyman
Mar 28, 2011 Qazyman rated it liked it
A good read but not as good as the first novel. David Levien is a very talented writer and I enjoy reading his work.

In the first book Behr was getting over the death of his son, while helping another family find their missing son. It was a tale of redemption, and you will overlook personal faults in that setting. In the second book all that is gone, and Behr to often comes off looking like a jerk, and someone you wish would have done to him as he does to others.

Still a really good book.
E.R. Yatscoff
Jun 21, 2015 E.R. Yatscoff rated it liked it
I've read D. Levien before and liked his work. This one was intriguing, as the protagonist Frank Behr is caught between his pregnant girlfriend and the death of his judo friend. He's a troubled man at times, but I like his pushy style. The investigation is good as wildly separate events and people are brought together. It begins a bit slow but have patience.
Flow Wampfler
I liked the way this story pulled together seemingly separate story lines into one final drama, but there were somethings I thought could have been developed more and the ending didn't quite live up to the beginning/middle of the book, hence the 3 stars. I do plan on reading City of the Sun, the first book in this series.
Richard
Mar 19, 2011 Richard rated it it was amazing
Frank Behr is my new hero! I simply love this character. The plots, crafting and story telling make this series a sure read. David Levien truly has something here. In this one things get a little personal for Frank when a friend gets killed. Everything then seems connected and Frank does not stop until page 401. Give this series a try, you will love it!
Alissa
Oct 11, 2011 Alissa rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2011
Read these out of order so I can say, not as good as the first but better than the third book. Good tight plotting and lots of action, but since you know the bad guys there's not the compelling race to figure it out. I liked this better because it had less of Frank's personal life in it (which figures more heavily in book 3).
Jon
Jan 02, 2009 Jon rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-series
Sequel to City of the Sun. This one is a more enjoyable read than the first. Fits into the tough guy-loner category of crime fiction. Good story, great characters. With the pea shake houses, takes you into a world you're probably not aware of. Hard nosed and brutal action. Ending is not completely satisfying. I hope Kenny returns in a sequel.
Jo McCarthy
Mar 31, 2014 Jo McCarthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some fantastic action and some great twists, which isn't surprising, given that David Levien is a screenwriter. But what makes this book is the character of Frank Behr. If hi like Bosch as a character you will like this. Great book.
Bob
Sep 04, 2009 Bob rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Simply put...I love Frank Behr. He is up there with Michael Kelley or Burke on my favorite list of totally damaged Literary characters. I highly recommend this series, which with the new book about to come out "13 Million Dollar Pop," is only 3 books long.
Jp
Sep 03, 2011 Jp rated it it was ok
Is a sequel and I hadn't read the others so I didn't understand the motivations of the principle character as well as I would have liked. I didn't like the book as much as I'd hoped. Character development was weak throughout the book, at least for me.
James
Mar 04, 2015 James rated it liked it
A little sketchy and perhaps farfetched in the beginning but managed to pull itself up then finish with a dark and blood thirsty slaughter of the bad guys. I am glad that I didn't put on the brakes too early.
Jenn
Jun 20, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
A very quick read full of gangster wannabes. Detective Frank Behr is a hardcore ex-copper who fights a mean fight while breaking all of the rules. He appears to have an on/off relationship with Susan who stays with him even though I have no idea why. I'd like to read Levien's other work.
Loren Dunn
May 19, 2015 Loren Dunn rated it really liked it
I read the Frank Behrend novels out of order (through Signature Kill). I think this is my favorite - if you read one, to me, this is it. But hey, that could just be because it's the last one I read...
Joy
May 18, 2015 Joy rated it liked it
This was okay, but started to devolve into some might big coincidences. I'm able to suspend my disbelief a lot of the time, but this pushed my limits. Good story line, I enjoyed some of Frank's character development, and while I know a lot of people dislike short chapters, I didn't mind.
Dan
Mar 10, 2010 Dan rated it liked it
Good characters...a little slow at times.
Brian
Apr 29, 2009 Brian rated it really liked it
The second Frank Behr mystery: just as good as his first novel,
"City of the Sun". Tough and tender.
Shelly
Jan 21, 2015 Shelly rated it liked it
Intriguing book set in Chicagoland area - I enjoyed it.
Elaine
Oct 21, 2009 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Wow how impressive. This is number two in a series and now I have to read number one. Very fast moving and hard to put down.
  • Acts of Nature (Max Freeman, #5)
  • Trigger City (Ray Dudgeon, #2)
  • Walking Dead (Atticus Kodiak, #7)
  • Dead at Daybreak
  • Dead Money Run (Lou Malloy Crime, #1)
  • Run The Risk (Alex Delillo, #1)
  • Drink the Tea
  • Officer Down
  • The Codicil
  • The California Roll
  • Passion, Power & Sin - Books 1-5
  • Soul Patch (Moe Prager, #4)
  • The Good Son (J. McNee, #1)
  • Red Means Run
  • Trapped  (Randall Shane, #2)
  • The Snatch (Nameless Detective, #1)
  • Deviant Ways
  • Running Dark (Emma Caldridge, #2)
David Levien is an American screenwriter, novelist, director, and producer. Best known as the co-writer of Ocean's Thirteen, Levien has also produced films such as The Illusionist and The Lucky Ones.

As a screenwriter, he has a deal with Paramount Studios. His next project with the studio is the 2009 film The Winter of Frankie Machine, starring Robert DeNiro.

As a novelist, he has published City of
More about David Levien...

Frank Behr (4 books)
  • City of the Sun (Frank Behr, #1)
  • Thirteen Million Dollar Pop (Frank Behr, #3)
  • Signature Kill (Frank Behr #4)