Faeries Gone Wild

Faeries Gone Wild

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  845 ratings  ·  71 reviews
MARYJANICE DAVIDSON“Tall, Dark and Not So Faery”

Scarlett is not your typical pint-sized faery. At six feet, four inches tall, she’s an unlikely candidate for a match made in heaven. But when she ventures to Cannon Falls, Minnesota, on royal orders to survey its extraordinary residents, she stumbles upon the one man who just may measure up to size…

LOIS GREIMAN “Pixie Lust”

W...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Faeries Gone Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faeries Gone Wild

The Iron King by Julie KagawaWicked Lovely by Melissa MarrTithe by Holly BlackDarkfever by Karen Marie MoningWings by Aprilynne Pike
Books about Faery
166th out of 769 books — 1,638 voters
On the Prowl by Patricia BriggsMen of the Otherworld by Kelley ArmstrongStrange Brew by P.N. ElrodMust Love Hellhounds by Charlaine HarrisDead After Dark by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Best Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Anthologies
143rd out of 150 books — 236 voters

More lists with this book...

Rhianna
Winged Things

Four Minnesota based authors, four tales of faeries lusting and loving, one anthology full of humor and strange hijinks.

[TALL, DARK AND NOT SO FAERY:] by MaryJanice Davidson, When six feet and four inches of counting obsessed faery comes looking for Lent, the Violent Fairy to do the duty the faery king has sent her to do silliness ensues. Fortunately, Judith, the enchanted car decides there's another town resident that this gigantic faery should count and she won't take no for an a...more
Jul 26, 2009 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Mary Janice Davidson Fans
An anthology with four short stories all focused on Faeries.

1.TALL, DARK AND NOT SO FAERY by MaryJanice Davidson
I strongly recommend reading the anthology No Rest for the Witches before reading this story. The story in that book takes place about a year before this story and you will get the background on the core group of the characters in that story.

In this story we are introduced to Scarlett who is a faery and a counter for the King. She arrives at a farm house in Cannon Falls, Minnesota (w...more
Debbie
This anthology has 4 separate stories .....
- Tall, Dark and Not So Faery by Mary Janice Davidson
A look at what would happen if a vampire, werewolf, talking SUV, dryad (tree creature) and a faery prince all live together and the faery census taker shows up to count everyone. Then there is the half-giant that talks to the SUV even though the SUV has a crush on the werewolf.
*** Yeah, a little confusing, lots of funny one liners and the concept of the story is hilarious but as a short story in an...more
Larissa
Oct 29, 2009 Larissa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
"Tall, Dark and Not So Faery" MaryJanice Davidson
Scarlett is on a mission. A very important mission. A mission from the King, and she will let no one stand in her way. Unfortunately for Scarlett it is not a person that is hindering her, but a large, heavy, wooden door that is constantly closing in her face. If she can just get through that door, Scarlett would discover a strange and odd mix of individuals, she would make new friends, find old family and quite possibly fall in love... But only if...more
Wendy
Overall a fun read. Loved the first story by MJD, but then I had just read her story in 'No Rest for the Witches' that was about these same characters. I absolutely adored the characters and really hope to see much more of them. They would make a fabulous new series!!

I really did not like Lois Greiman's story. The male character was so 'besotted' by his fairy lover that he was a bumbling idiot for the entire story.

The story by Michele Hauf was fun. The tale of two night working faeries, a tooth...more
The Flooze
Faeries Gone Wild is one of the better anthologies I've read. Three out of the four stories were pleasant and amusing reads, while the fourth still had merit despite some issues.

Tall, Dark and Not So Faery by MJD: Funny and cute, with a wacky cast. Now I need to get No Rest For the Witches, which has some of the same characters!

Pixie Lust by Lois Greiman: Verbose and meandering at times, but not bad. However, I wouldn't seek out more by the author based on this writing sample.

Dust Me, Baby, One...more
Barbara Elsborg
One story I didn't like but the rest were fun and different. The one I didn't like was the first - I had a hard time following what was going on and I usually love MJD. But the book's worth it for the other stories. I loved the sand man's little 'problem' - hilarious. I also like Avalina - what a sweetie!
Cassy Kennedy
First story I read was "Dust me, Baby, One More Time" by Michele Hauf. This story was a cute romance between a tooth fairy and a sandman. It's a cute well written little story that is niether too long and not cut short, a relief in short stories. I look forward to seeing a full story from her, if there isn't one already.

"Pixie Lust" by Lois Greiman was a huge disappointment. The two protagonist seemed to have two personalities. The woman was a protective 'tree hugger' and then a ditzy blonde. T...more
PT
Another anthology featuring MaryJanice Davidson's Canon Falls motley crew. "Tall, Dark, and Not So Faery" is definitely best enjoyed if you read it's predecessor in No Rest for the Witches. None-the-less, I definitely enjoyed this installment and look forward to another where Ezra will find his intended mate.
"Pixie Lust" was a really difficult read for me. I found the writing very difficult to follow and found myself re-reading several pages. I battled through it to the lackluster ending however...more
Tess
well, I don't know what I was expecting from a collection called "Faeries Gone Wild," but I wasn't pleased with what I got.
The stories went from confusing (Pixie Lust - the author couldn't even figure out the main characters' names) to boring and cliche (Dust Me Baby One More Time).
The only story I remotely enjoyed was the last one, A Little Bit Faery.

I think the problem, besides it being a collection of fairy romance stories, is that they were too short. The authors had to make their own Fae wo...more
Tasneem
This was a fairly enjoyable read. The stories were different, original, though the writing style of some were a bit simple. Not bad entertainment though.

Tall, Dark and Not so fairy was I think the best of the lot. MaryJanice Davidson's offering was funny though I found the writing a bit dis-jointed and I didn't like the language. She seems to miss out words. I enjoy reading full grammatical sentences.

Pixie Lust was just a bit foolish and I won't be searching for more by Lois Greiman based on thi...more
Kathy Davie
A collection of frivolous stories about faeries that are off the beaten track.

MaryJanice Davidson's Tall, Dark, and Not So Faery definitely went off the usual faery track with a six-foot, four-inch faery obsessed with counting who falls in with a seven-foot-plus half-giant in Minnesota.

Lois Greiman's Pixie Lust is a cute, quirky romance between a money-obsessed man about to marry money and raze a woods who falls in love with a woods-obsessed fairy.

Michel Hauf's Dust Me, Baby, One More Time is a...more
Anita
An entertaining read, light and chick-lit romance in focus. I liked 3 of the 4 stories in this anthology, which ain't bad!

The first story by MaryJanice Davidson was very funny - I just wish she had saved the concept for a full-length novel so I could have gotten to know the characters better. The premise was a group home for magical creatures, including the faerie king's brother, his visiting sister, a werewolf, a couple humans, a dryad, a person enchanted into a car, and a half-giant mechanic....more
Jmichaud
I picked this to read basically for the story by MaryJanice Davidson. Turns out, for me, hers was by far the weakest of the four stories here. "Tall Dark and Not So Fairy" seemed like she wrote it in her sleep..or halfway drunk. My favorite story was "Dust Me, Baby, One More Time" by Michele Hauf about the Tooth Fairy and the Sand Man. I loved it. Funny and cheeky romance. "Pixie Lust" by Lois Greiman was confusing. Her fairy began as intelligent and just turned into a sexbot basically for the l...more
Andrea Marie
Hey Goodreads chat buddies!
How I found and am reading a very fantastic great read! I love reading about mythical creatures of every kind, and I have to tell you, that, when you sink your mind into this exciting baby, you won't want to put it down for a minute. I never can wait to get back to it, and guess what eles I have a stack of books that I am reading, such as eclipse by stephenie meyers, as good as dead by charlaine harris, night terrors anthology blood bound books etc, and I tell you that...more
Amanda Reinier
In the first story Tall Dark and Not so Faery I felt as if I got to know these great characters and then it was over. I was so disappointed that it didn't go on to tell more of a story but as with a lot of short stories it's short. The next story was Pixie Lust this was very hot with a descent story line. The third Dust Me Baby One More Time had a cute out look on the mother versus tooth-fairy battle. The last one A Little Bit Faery had me wondering why I was reading it but it turned out to be a...more
Rae
I got this because I enjoy Mary Janice Davidson and figured I'd at least enjoy one story in the book. Not so much. I wish I could return it and get my money back. Davidson's story, the first in the book, isn't too bad but it was written weird and there was never an explanation for the quirkiness. I'd say the last story in the book is probably the best even though it was a little too complicated for a short story. Still, it actually had characters I liked and that's more than I can say about the...more
LondonFog
Awful. Air-headed. Painfully simplistic and... cheaply done. Just my opinion. The book was written too sloppily and crass along with too vulgar for anything "enchanting" to transpire. Just toss in our already sleazy world and toss in some air-headed pixies, faeries, werewolves, and some added griminess just for the heck of it (oh yeah, and the addition of typos. Heh.) If that's your thing, you'll love this book. Otherwise, if you're looking for depth, foundation and solid characters (+ romance)...more
Julie
Hmmmm.
Well, although the title "faeries gone wild" is funny and cheesy enough for me to have gone through with reading this book(I didn't pay money for it, though), for some reason, the use of the "e" in the spelling just annoys me.
I suppose I am just more of a cheesy vampire type person than a cheesy fairy type.(?)
Anyway, I gave it two stars because sometimes the stories could be funny, and I guess it didn't make me want to throw the book across the room.
Super cheese, but not my cup of cheese.
Debbie Waters
Apr 08, 2011 Debbie Waters rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: read-in-2011
Lots of the reviews I read raved about the first author in this anthology. If this was an example of what all her writing is like, I am not sure what they found so wonderful. Rather a disjointed style, which I guess one could learn to love, but the ending of the story? Came out of nowhere and seemed to apply to nothing that had previously occurred in the story.

Of the four stories, I like the last one best but not in a hurry to read about any more faeries. A shame, really....
Darcy
I really like most of Mary Janice Davidson's stuff, so gave this one a try. I do remember reading the other story that was before this. I just didn't get this one. I could barely remember the people and as I was reading them didn't really care what happened to them. I tried to read the other short stories, but those bored me after 10-15 pages. I wanted to like them, as I like to read local MN authors, but they just couldn't keep my interest with these short stories.
Jodi
This anthology was unexpectedly dull. With the exception of the MaryJanice Davidson story which featured her stock-in-trade quirky characters, the other stories were unmemorable and largely uninteresting. Each story has an interesting take on Faery but none of the romances felt real, the connections were all contrived and though most were nearly 100 pages each, the story was too short to have evolved into something interesting.
willaful
Nov 20, 2011 willaful marked it as dnf
Shelves: bye
Not rating this because I only read the MaryJanice Davidson story. This is a follow-up to her story in No Rest for the Witches (Nightcreature, #7.5) (Magic, #3.5) and had some of the same good natured charm, but was a bit abrupt and felt unfinished.
Katy-Del
It was okay.

I don't remember which anthology had the first MaryJanice story with these characters, but I like them. They are all weird and funny and I really enjoyed her story.

The second story was so so.

The third and fourth were enjoyable, but not inspiring enough to make me look for their full novels.

I'd say, good for the beach, pool side, or making time pass in a waiting room.
E.
Tall, Dark and not so Faery by MaryJanice Davidson is a madcap spoof of most of the paranormal stereotypes that include a possessed SUV, OCD Fae, various hybrids and a virtually endless census task. The rest of the short stories in this anthology are in a similar vein, giving a new perspective on the traditional paranormal roles. Somewhat stilted stories and several disconcerting typos.
Desiree reilly
this book is great i won this on good read and then it was
differnt type of story about faries and then they were
very great book i read it in less than 2 days and then
i am going to let the authors know what i t hought
of the book they did a great story and they can come
up with some great srorys
Heather Tisdale
This book was pretty bad. The Logan and Greiman were stories were cute but cheesy. The Davidson story I was indifferent too and I couldn't even finish reading the Hauf story. I found it impossible to get into and it's rare for me to actually refuse to finish reading a story. The book on a whole was a waste of money.
Roswita
A fascinating and fabulous foursome of funny faery tales. Whew! Glad I got that out of my system! Seriously, though, these really are great stories. I'm thinking it would be very interesting to spend 10 minutes in MaryJanice's mind. And a little scary.
Deborah
An anthology with stories in the faery realms. I enjoyed 2 of the 4 stories. The best being by the least known of the authors, Leandra Logan, and MJD amusing me with her humor.
The other 2 were rather dull and just slogged along I thought.
Lavendersbluegreen
I just love anthologies, and faeries, and this was both!! Also a new story in Mary Janice Davidson’s world that continued from a short in another anthology! This is a must read – but first read No Rest For The Witches!
A new generation of faeries and drows and driders! 1 2 Jun 08, 2011 06:49PM
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
  • Mysteria Nights (Mysteria)
  • Over The Moon (Mageverse, #3.5)
  • Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred
  • Kick Ass (Warlord, #2)
  • Unleashed
  • Out of the Light, Into the Shadows (Includes: Vegas Vampires, #6 & #7)
  • Men at Work
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Vampire Romance 2: Love Bites
  • A Girl's Guide to Guns and Monsters
  • My Zombie Valentine
  • Never After
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Belong To The Night (The Long Island Coven #2)
  • Powers of Detection: Stories of Mystery & Fantasy
  • Night's Edge
  • Midnight Cravings
MaryJanice Davidson is an American author who writes mostly paranormal romance, but also young adult and non-fiction. She is the creator of the popular Undead series. She is both a New York Times and USA Today bestseller. She won a 2004 Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and was nominated for the same award in 2005.

MaryJanice's Facebook page:

More about MaryJanice Davidson...
Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) Undead and Unemployed (Undead, #2) Undead and Unreturnable (Undead, #4) Undead and Unappreciated (Undead, #3) Undead and Unpopular (Undead, #5)

“She couldn't tell where his pupils ended and the irises began; looking into those eyes was like looking into a well where children had drowned.” 11 likes