Start by marking “Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological Guide” as Want to Read:
Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological Guide

Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological Guide

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating Details  ·  57 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
An ever popular book detailing hundreds of archaeological ruins across the American Southwest.
Published January 1st 2000 by Northland Publishing (first published December 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Ruins of the Southwest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Ruins of the Southwest

Collapse by Jared Diamond1491 by Charles C. MannThe Horse, the Wheel and Language by David W. AnthonyAfter the Ice by Steven MithenGuns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond
Popular Archaeology and Paleoanthropology
31st out of 279 books — 97 voters
Desert Solitaire by Edward AbbeyDeath Comes for the Archbishop by Willa CatherThe Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward AbbeySkinwalkers by Tony HillermanThe Milagro Beanfield War by John     Nichols
Four Corners Country
39th out of 224 books — 94 voters

More lists with this book...

Shruts
Aug 12, 2014 Shruts rated it really liked it
This book is solely for the keenly interested in the topic of the Ancient Ones of our Southwest USA: generically the Anasazi, or as the preferred group name, Ancestral Puebloans.

The chapters are organized by group names: Chacoans, Mogollon, Hohokam, etc., and more recent cultures of the historic period, the Fremont and Puebloan.

Often overlapping in time, and in adjacent geographies, Grant Noble discusses the cultural and architectural influences on each.

I liked it a lot, as an excellent referen
Ryan Mishap
Jan 21, 2009 Ryan Mishap rated it really liked it
Shelves: guide-books
Yes! From Mexico to Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado, Noble lists all the ruins there are to visit. He provides a brief history of each place and the people who lived there, which is fascinating enough for this to be good reading even if you aren't visiting. This book will be my guide for years to come as I search for ruins to visit. I'll probably never visit them all, but Noble can't live forever and then maybe I can take his job. Him and William Sullivan--as soon as they kick the bucke ...more
Matt
Mar 28, 2009 Matt rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archaeology
"If you want to understand the differences between Anasazi, Mogollon, Hohokam, Sinagua and Salado, you get a very brief primer here. Otherwise the book is an interesting reference and catalog of many individual sites and regions containing sites ascribed to the aforementioned groups. I read this book early on in my studies and the distinctions were lost on me. A second read will probably warrant a higher rating. LOTS of pictures in this book which is very nice."
Lydia
Feb 22, 2013 Lydia rated it really liked it
We have a trip planned for New Mexico and as I was exercising one morning I saw this book (well, the revised and expanded version) on my bookshelf. Glad I saved it. Read through the parts on the areas we are going to see and that much more excited about it! Definitely bringing it with me.
Clayton H
Jan 24, 2013 Clayton H rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Peublos and more pueblos - if you are in the area this is the book to have, a marvelous guide that only touches and samples the history and cultural legacies of the cultures covered. But it does 'ruins' beautifully.
Jeffrey St.
Mar 18, 2008 Jeffrey St. rated it it was amazing
Without question, the best popular guide to the Anasazi and Hohokom ruins of the desert southwest. Erudite and informative, with descriptive photos and trustworthy maps and directions. A model of its kind.
Greta
Jul 20, 2014 Greta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Excellent overview of the ruins of the Southwest plus a little bit of history; wish it had been updated more recently. A good guide and research tool if you're planning a trip to that region.
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Chocolateraine
Chocolateraine marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Llinos Slade
Llinos Slade marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Zoe Liew
Zoe Liew marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2016
Lisa Abbott
Lisa Abbott rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
bhjbsdjf
bhjbsdjf marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2016
Nandika Gervais
Nandika Gervais is currently reading it
Jan 28, 2016
Allison
Allison rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Shawn
Shawn marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Patrick
Patrick marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Steven Chang
Steven Chang marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Doug
Doug marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2015
Krista J Wible
Krista J Wible rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2015
Elizabeth Napper
Elizabeth Napper marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
David
David marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2015
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
M
M rated it liked it
Sep 12, 2015
Zuckzor
Zuckzor rated it really liked it
Aug 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
David Grant Noble was raised in rural Massachusetts, attended Yale University, and began photographing seriously in 1962 while serving in army counterintelligence in Vietnam. In the 1960s, while living in New York City, he wrote and photographed for the weekly newspaper, Manhattan East, covering anti-Vietnam war rallies in New York and Washington, D.C. among other assignments. He also documented M ...more
More about David Grant Noble...