Start by marking “The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and American Culture” as Want to Read:
The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and American Culture

The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and American Culture

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The definitive illustrated collection of Beat culture from the people who made the scene--now in paperbackIt's been nearly fifty years since Jack Kerouac took to the road, but Beat culture continues to be a popular and influential force in today's writing, music, and art.

With more than 75 contributors, this celebratory potpourri of words, illustrations, and photography con...more
Published July 12th 2000 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats

J
I'd read Kerouac's On The Road years ago while waiting for a bus in downtown Spokane. I'd read Burrough's Soft Machine when I was thirteen and it went WAY over my head, not to mention scaring the crap out of me. I read his Exterminator after college and loved it. And I saw Ginsberg in all these hippy pictures from the 60's and thought he was a hippy. I knew of the Beats but that's about that.

Having little previous knowledge of the Beats, their work and their influence on all that came after the...more
Jim
Very informative and enjoyable. The pictures alone are worth the price of admission! I have read dozens of books about the Beats and many biographies of the individual writers and artists but this book draws from many sources I have not yet read. And the few I have, like 'Jack Kerouac: A Chicken Essay' are small off the wall rarities you don't usually see quoted.

It also has a good mix of writers, artists, musicians, filmmakers, and even an essay on the kids of the Beats and what their lives were...more
Jerry Oliver
I love this book for what it is. It's an easy going coffee table type book with a variety of articles, histories and perspectives on the beats accompanied by a nice selection of famous photos and some rare photos I hadn't seen. Of course, I'm biased when it comes to the beats and many of the people who contributed to this collection.
This book is also a nice overview for someone just starting to explore the beats. If you're already deep into the beats you probably already know all this and migh...more
B-MO
Nov 02, 2012 B-MO marked it as to-read
Great reader for someone who has a little background in the Beats (ie prereq; you must have read "on the road", or "naked lunch", or "howl"....)
It is a great read for someone with an internet era attention span as it is composed of mostly magazine length articles and lots of awesome pictures.
Tons of contributers talking about the origin of the 'beat generation' and movement and its cultural/political impacts.
Christopher
Filled with contradiction and heart-felt portraits. A must read for anyone looking to gain insight into the Beats as a group (or lack there of).
John McLaughlin
May 02, 2009 John McLaughlin rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students studying contemporary lit & popular culture
Recommended to John by: David Amram
Authoritative tome on the Beat culture, exhaustive and detailed. May tell you much more about the Beats than you believed possible.
Gary
a great pictoral history of the beats. but it doesn't easily fit on a standard bookshelf. good for the coffee table.
Karlton
This great collection of Rolling Stone articles is filled with wonderful photos and great info.
Haylee
I LOVE this book! Dozens of fantastic essays!
Zach
good for the pictures....
Matthew Emerson
Matthew Emerson marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Laura Spaulding
Laura Spaulding marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Tj
Tj added it
Apr 28, 2014
Khrysta
Khrysta is currently reading it
Mar 25, 2014
Will Szal
Will Szal marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Jeanne
Jeanne added it
Jul 28, 2013
Alexandra  T
Alexandra T marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2013
Kris Walker
Kris Walker marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Jamie Glover
Jamie Glover marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A Man Called Destruction: The Life and Music of Alex Chilton, From Box Tops to Big Star to Backdoor Man Punk 365 Garcia The Cowgirl Way: Hats Off to America's Women of the West Honky-Tonk Heroes and Hillbilly Angels: The Pioneers of Country and Western Music