Start by marking “The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and American Culture” as Want to Read:
The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and American Culture

The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats: The Beat Generation and American Culture

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  124 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The definitive illustrated collection of Beat culture from the people who made the scene--now in paperbackIt's been nearly fifty years since Jack Kerouac took to the road, but Beat culture continues to be a popular and influential force in today's writing, music, and art.

With more than 75 contributors, this celebratory potpourri of words, illustrations, and photography con
Published July 12th 2000 by Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats

East Bay J
Apr 14, 2008 East Bay J rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: us-history
I'd read Kerouac's On The Road years ago while waiting for a bus in downtown Spokane. I'd read Burrough's Soft Machine when I was thirteen and it went WAY over my head, not to mention scaring the crap out of me. I read his Exterminator after college and loved it. And I saw Ginsberg in all these hippy pictures from the 60's and thought he was a hippy. I knew of the Beats but that's about that.

Having little previous knowledge of the Beats, their work and their influence on all that came after th
Jim
Oct 09, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing
Very informative and enjoyable. The pictures alone are worth the price of admission! I have read dozens of books about the Beats and many biographies of the individual writers and artists but this book draws from many sources I have not yet read. And the few I have, like 'Jack Kerouac: A Chicken Essay' are small off the wall rarities you don't usually see quoted.

It also has a good mix of writers, artists, musicians, filmmakers, and even an essay on the kids of the Beats and what their lives were
Jerry Oliver
Apr 19, 2013 Jerry Oliver rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book for what it is. It's an easy going coffee table type book with a variety of articles, histories and perspectives on the beats accompanied by a nice selection of famous photos and some rare photos I hadn't seen. Of course, I'm biased when it comes to the beats and many of the people who contributed to this collection.
This book is also a nice overview for someone just starting to explore the beats. If you're already deep into the beats you probably already know all this and migh
B-MO
Nov 02, 2012 B-MO marked it as to-read
Great reader for someone who has a little background in the Beats (ie prereq; you must have read "on the road", or "naked lunch", or "howl"....)
It is a great read for someone with an internet era attention span as it is composed of mostly magazine length articles and lots of awesome pictures.
Tons of contributers talking about the origin of the 'beat generation' and movement and its cultural/political impacts.
Christopher
Aug 02, 2011 Christopher rated it really liked it
Filled with contradiction and heart-felt portraits. A must read for anyone looking to gain insight into the Beats as a group (or lack there of).
John McLaughlin
May 02, 2009 John McLaughlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Students studying contemporary lit & popular culture
Recommended to John by: David Amram
Authoritative tome on the Beat culture, exhaustive and detailed. May tell you much more about the Beats than you believed possible.
Gary
Nov 17, 2009 Gary rated it it was amazing
a great pictoral history of the beats. but it doesn't easily fit on a standard bookshelf. good for the coffee table.
Karlton
Sep 08, 2007 Karlton rated it really liked it
This great collection of Rolling Stone articles is filled with wonderful photos and great info.
Haylee
Dec 02, 2010 Haylee rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book! Dozens of fantastic essays!
Zach
Oct 30, 2009 Zach rated it it was ok
good for the pictures....
Diane
Diane added it
Apr 28, 2016
Acacia
Acacia marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Christine Seguin
Christine Seguin marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Erniehilbert
Erniehilbert rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2016
suzie marshall beekman
suzie marshall beekman rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2016
P0cohauntus8gmail.Com
P0cohauntus8gmail.Com marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Derrick Gwinner
Derrick Gwinner marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Dann
Dann added it
Feb 19, 2016
Alexis O'Donnell
Alexis O'Donnell marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Alexandra Corinth
Alexandra Corinth marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Kitty O'hara
Kitty O'hara marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Sara
Sara is currently reading it
Jan 31, 2016
Brian Gabriel
Brian Gabriel is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2016
Andrew Mcloughlin
Andrew Mcloughlin marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2016
Donki Ra Mansour
Donki Ra Mansour marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 31, 2015
Allan Cronin
Allan Cronin marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2015
Atlas Can
Atlas Can marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2015
  • The Portable Harlem Renaissance Reader
  • Collected Letters, 1944-1967
  • Off the Road: My Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg
  • Black Veil: A Memoir with Digressions
  • The Beat Book
  • The First Time I Got Paid For It: Writers' Tales From The Hollywood Trenches
  • Women of the Beat Generation: The Writers, Artists and Muses at the Heart of a Revolution
  • Drinking, Smoking and Screwing: Great Writers on Good Times
  • The Way You Wear Your Hat: Frank Sinatra and the Lost Art of Livin'
  • Kerouac: A Biography