Start by marking “The Smile of the Lamb” as Want to Read:
The Smile of the Lamb

The Smile of the Lamb

In a chorus of voices The Smile of the Lamb tells the story of Uri, an idealistic young Israeli soldier serving in an army unit in the small Palestinian village of Andal, in the occupied territories, and his relationship with Khilmi, a nearly blind old Palestinian storyteller. Gradually as the violent reality of the occupation that infects both the occupier and the occupie ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Picador (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Smile of the Lamb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smile of the Lamb

T4ncr3d1
Jun 03, 2011 T4ncr3d1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: israeliani
"Noi siamo solo una lettera, solo notizie ficcate in una crepa fra cielo e terra (...)
siamo solo lettere morte e non potremo mai comprendere a fondo il dolore e la gioia che ci generiamo a vicenda."

La Stamberga dei Lettori
Finalmente ripubblicato in una nuova edizione, Il sorriso dell'agnello è effettivamente il primo romanzo di David Grossman. Siamo nel lontano 1983, ma già di Grossman c'è molto, a cominciare dal primo dei quattro protagonisti, Uri, il giovane soldato idealista, che porta il nome del figlio prediletto di Grossman e che tante pene gli farà soffrire.
Quattro dunque sono i protagonisti di questo romanzo, una scelta inusuale che difficilmente Grossman ripeterà, preferendovi il dominio di un solo e so
Marja
Dec 21, 2012 Marja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
David Grossman's "Hiuch ha-gedi" surprised me. I know I always write that a novel did not match my expectations, but all the same: I expected a boring book about the horrors of war, and instead, got a pageturner about committing injustice, and a critique of the Israeli occupation on the West Bank - written in 1982, and probably relevant for a long time still.

Since I don't feel like going into a detailed analysis of the text, I'll just list what I loved about this book:

(1) It was hard to put down
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Jun 14, 2011 La Stamberga dei Lettori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tancredi
Edith
Oct 13, 2009 Edith rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-i-own, mena
I don't like this book.

At first it resembles with A.B. Yehoshua's "The Lover" (which I absolutely LOVED), in sampling different characters' perspectives and telling the story in a stream-of-consciousness style, unreliable narrators, marital breakdown by cheating but idealistic wives, and threads of psychological disturbances and emotional complexity. Albeit it sheds interesting points about modern Israeli society such as tensions between Ashkenazim and Sephardim. But this story is abstract in t
Ruth
I remember being deeply moved by this book, and that I was surprised that I even liked it. I don't read much on Israel because the conflict there makes me so bloody angry. But apparently one day I was without options (hard to imagine with my shelves but maybe...). I wish I had made notes. So many books and so little time...but I may have to read this one again.
Lboylan
Jan 31, 2008 Lboylan rated it it was ok
I found it hard to follow, I could not always distinguish the different voices of the characters. Most of book is internal thoughts, abstractions, reflections and I found it excessively cerebral (all the characters sounded kindof the same to me).
Kate
Sep 18, 2011 Kate rated it liked it
I read this for a college course on Middle Eastern literature. This means that I was reading the book with a more analytic eye. This maybe why I never got into the book. I had trouble liking any of the characters.
Hermien
Nov 25, 2014 Hermien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jewish, middle-east
I enjoyed the historical background of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, but I found it hard to follow the different characters’ internal thoughts, abstractions and reflections which were excessively cerebral.
Elise
Jun 15, 2008 Elise rated it liked it
I had a big feeling of deja vu when I read this. Did I already read this book? Not a good sign that I couldn't remember.

Anyway, interesting, intriguing, tremendous writing, but filled with people overanalyzing everything. It got tiresome, to be honest.
Avital
Jul 05, 2007 Avital rated it it was amazing
Shelves: israeli
I read it too long ago and loved it a lot. The story I loved most was about what goes inside the head of a runner while running.
Loen
Aug 03, 2013 Loen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've liked other David Grossman better.
Linda
Linda rated it did not like it
Apr 06, 2008
Myka
Myka rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2008
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Kay
Kay rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2011
Mariana
Mariana rated it it was amazing
Feb 19, 2009
Nathan
Nathan rated it liked it
Dec 20, 2014
Wiedienacht
Wiedienacht rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Ex-p.f.c. Wecker
Ex-p.f.c. Wecker rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2012
Emilie
Emilie rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2012
Yoh
Yoh rated it liked it
Jan 26, 2015
מילה קידר
מילה קידר rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2013
Gwen
Gwen rated it really liked it
Mar 20, 2013
Kim Marie
Kim Marie rated it it was ok
Jun 15, 2012
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Emily Sawyer
Emily Sawyer rated it really liked it
Aug 10, 2014
Kindy trotsky
Kindy trotsky rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2012
Moran
Moran rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2008
Guten Tag
Guten Tag rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • In the Land of Israel
  • Gaza Blues: Different Stories
  • Almost Dead
  • Jetlag
  • The Liberated Bride
  • Dolly City
  • The 188th Crybaby Brigade: A Skinny Jewish Kid from Chicago Fights Hezbollah--A Memoir
  • The Blue Mountain
  • Homesick
  • Husband and Wife
From ithl.org:

Leading Israeli novelist David Grossman (b. 1954, Jerusalem) studied philosophy and drama at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and later worked as an editor and broadcaster at Israel Radio. Grossman has written seven novels, a play, a number of short stories and novellas, and a number of books for children and youth. He has also published several books of non-fiction, including int
More about David Grossman...