Start by marking “The Smile of the Lamb” as Want to Read:
The Smile of the Lamb

The Smile of the Lamb

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  102 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In a chorus of voices The Smile of the Lamb tells the story of Uri, an idealistic young Israeli soldier serving in an army unit in the small Palestinian village of Andal, in the occupied territories, and his relationship with Khilmi, a nearly blind old Palestinian storyteller. Gradually as the violent reality of the occupation that infects both the occupier and the occupie ...more
Published August 1st 2003 by Picador (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Smile of the Lamb, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Smile of the Lamb

T4ncr3d1
"Noi siamo solo una lettera, solo notizie ficcate in una crepa fra cielo e terra (...)
siamo solo lettere morte e non potremo mai comprendere a fondo il dolore e la gioia che ci generiamo a vicenda."

La Stamberga dei Lettori
Finalmente ripubblicato in una nuova edizione, Il sorriso dell'agnello è effettivamente il primo romanzo di David Grossman. Siamo nel lontano 1983, ma già di Grossman c'è molto, a cominciare dal primo dei quattro protagonisti, Uri, il giovane soldato idealista, che porta il nome del figlio prediletto di Grossman e che tante pene gli farà soffrire.
Quattro dunque sono i protagonisti di questo romanzo, una scelta inusuale che difficilmente Grossman ripeterà, preferendovi il dominio di un solo e so
Marja
David Grossman's "Hiuch ha-gedi" surprised me. I know I always write that a novel did not match my expectations, but all the same: I expected a boring book about the horrors of war, and instead, got a pageturner about committing injustice, and a critique of the Israeli occupation on the West Bank - written in 1982, and probably relevant for a long time still.

Since I don't feel like going into a detailed analysis of the text, I'll just list what I loved about this book:

(1) It was hard to put down
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Edith
I don't like this book.

At first it resembles with A.B. Yehoshua's "The Lover" (which I absolutely LOVED), in sampling different characters' perspectives and telling the story in a stream-of-consciousness style, unreliable narrators, marital breakdown by cheating but idealistic wives, and threads of psychological disturbances and emotional complexity. Albeit it sheds interesting points about modern Israeli society such as tensions between Ashkenazim and Sephardim. But this story is abstract in t
Ruth
I remember being deeply moved by this book, and that I was surprised that I even liked it. I don't read much on Israel because the conflict there makes me so bloody angry. But apparently one day I was without options (hard to imagine with my shelves but maybe...). I wish I had made notes. So many books and so little time...but I may have to read this one again.
Elise
I had a big feeling of deja vu when I read this. Did I already read this book? Not a good sign that I couldn't remember.

Anyway, interesting, intriguing, tremendous writing, but filled with people overanalyzing everything. It got tiresome, to be honest.
Lboylan
I found it hard to follow, I could not always distinguish the different voices of the characters. Most of book is internal thoughts, abstractions, reflections and I found it excessively cerebral (all the characters sounded kindof the same to me).
Hermien
I enjoyed the historical background of the Israeli occupation of the West Bank, but I found it hard to follow the different characters’ internal thoughts, abstractions and reflections which were excessively cerebral.
Kate
I read this for a college course on Middle Eastern literature. This means that I was reading the book with a more analytic eye. This maybe why I never got into the book. I had trouble liking any of the characters.
Avital
I read it too long ago and loved it a lot. The story I loved most was about what goes inside the head of a runner while running.
Loen
I've liked other David Grossman better.
qtasha
qtasha marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Ruthie Ross
Ruthie Ross marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
Izabela
Izabela marked it as to-read
Martina
Martina marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2014
Linda Coontz
Linda Coontz marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2014
*artemide*
*artemide* is currently reading it
Jan 06, 2015
Falseastronomy
Falseastronomy marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Eva Janevska
Eva Janevska marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2014
Evie Bromiley
Evie Bromiley marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • Homesick
  • Dolly City
  • The Confessions of Noa Weber
From ithl.org:

Leading Israeli novelist David Grossman (b. 1954, Jerusalem) studied philosophy and drama at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, and later worked as an editor and broadcaster at Israel Radio. Grossman has written seven novels, a play, a number of short stories and novellas, and a number of books for children and youth. He has also published several books of non-fiction, including int
More about David Grossman...
To the End of the Land Someone to Run With See Under: Love Be My Knife The Zigzag Kid