Start by marking “Rowan Farm” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Rowan Farm

Margot Benary-Isbert

Rowan Farm

Very nice old copy. Hartcourt Brace and Co. first edition. Red boards with some scuffing. Dust Jacket shows average wear. No internal markings. Thank you for your purchase.
Published January 1st 1991 by Peter Smith Publisher (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about Rowan Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rowan Farm

Alex Baugh
Sep 17, 2012 Alex Baugh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
Rowan Farm is the sequel to The Ark, which was reviewed here in May, and continues the story of the Lechow family, Pomeranian refugees who have had to resettle in the Hesse area in Germany after the war. It begins precisely where The Ark left off, in January 1948. The war has been over for almost three years, but the effects are still being felt everywhere. Most things continue to be rationed, everyone is still hungry and cold all the time and much of the country still bears the scars of wartime ...more
Maureen E
Aug 03, 2010 Maureen E rated it really liked it

Years ago I read The Ark by Margot Benary-Isbert and fell in love with it. I found out pretty quickly that it had a sequel which, naturally, I wanted to read. But my library didn't have it and I really don't like buying books without reading them. So I waited. Then we moved, and that library didn't have it. I came to college, and my college library didn't have it. It was only very recently that I realized that my college is part of a group of colleges who
Michal
Mar 22, 2014 Michal added it
Recommended to Michal by: found it somewhere..
in short-
the book is about the struggles of a German family after WWII, after losing a son in the bombing
and not hearing from their father/husband who went to war, the rowan family move to live with Mrs. Almut on her farm.

the book is well written, very touching and very humane.
which is what makes it more horrible for me to read.
at first I related to the family as a sort of family like in Ann of Green Gables or
Little house on the prairie sort of story, but after that I can't get out of the con
Angela
Jun 14, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
The second volume following the precocious and hard-working Lechow children is a wonderful coming-of-age story with an endearing cast of characters - human and otherwise! The menagerie that has grown up around Margaret and her siblings is just as charming and comforting as ever. With a sensitive and generous tone, this book examines the triumphs and troubles that abounded for everyday individuals and families in post-war Germany.

I loved this book - devoured it in less than two days, in fact. I w
Margaret
Jun 07, 2012 Margaret rated it really liked it
I thought this book was even better than "The Ark" which is the beginning of the story of the Lechow family struggling along in post- World War II Germany. I'm awfully glad that I found these books as I had not read anything about how ordinary people in Germany had suffered during and after the war. Not all Germans were Nazis during World War II, but sometimes we tend to forget that. It was a beautiful story of a loving family trying to rebuild their lives and help others who had suffered ...more
MJ
Jan 22, 2015 MJ rated it really liked it
Translated from the German and published in 1954 this is second in "series" but stands alone well! A refugee family from Pomerania has settled in a small German town (first book I assume). Depicts for teens the effects of WWII on the displaced families after the war. Whew! Missing fathers, wounded warriors with no home to return to, hard work on farms but also the occasional dance, love, overcoming hardship, etc. Quite inspiring. And a fun read too. Daily life on a farm with ponies, cows, sheep, ...more
Ariel
Apr 29, 2009 Ariel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mg
This is one of my favorite ever comfort reads. Centers on a family of Pomeranian refugees in Germany after WWII and their struggle to re-establish themselves. Much about the redemptive and healing power of community and working with animals. And it's just so beautifully written, you long to enter the old stone farmyard and pet all the animals.
Barbara Mader
Mar 27, 2011 Barbara Mader rated it liked it
Maybe four stars, or almost anyway. I liked this even better than the prequel, THE ARK. Always aware that I'm reading a translation, but I love some of the subtle ways the characters are described. There is some humor, too, and the author must be partial to the quicksilver personalities of little boys, for they are drawn especially well!
Melody
May 25, 2009 Melody rated it really liked it
Lovely follow-up to The Ark. One cares passionately about these people and their ruined Germany. The sheer grit of these farmers is humbling. It rings true, especially the "rascally boys". Highly recommended.
Victoria
Feb 20, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing
This is the continuing story of the characters in "The Ark". Great read-aloud -- children wanted it to go on. Story emphasizes hard work, perseverance, and loyalty to family, friends, and community.
Sally
Mar 25, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-fiction
Sequel to "The Ark" that, like the first book, gives insight into conditions in post-WW II Germany; memorable characters.
Karen
Sep 12, 2014 Karen rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, fiction, ww2
Not quite as charming as the first book (The Ark) but still well written and compelling just for the subject matter.
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2013
Kelly Tucker
Kelly Tucker rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2009
SHERRY
Mar 09, 2016 SHERRY added it
Another favorite. Companion book to The Ark. I reread these books every year.
Grace
Grace rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2010
Kate
Kate rated it liked it
Sep 04, 2015
Anne White
Anne White rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2015
Rosie Hopkins
Rosie Hopkins rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2011
Peggy
Peggy rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Angelica
Angelica rated it it was amazing
Mar 15, 2015
Ariel
Ariel rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2011
Clara Ellen
Clara Ellen rated it it was amazing
Sep 11, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2015
Christopher Bunn
Christopher Bunn rated it it was amazing
Mar 11, 2012
Heather Sarik
Heather Sarik rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2014
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2012
Poornima
Poornima rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2012
Juliet Chase
Juliet Chase rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2013
Virginia
Virginia rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Series 1 6 Mar 04, 2009 07:53AM
German-born children’s author known for her "depictions of humane, realistic characters."

Benary-Isbert attended the College St. Carolus and the University of Frankfurt. She worked as a secretary at the Museum of Ethnology and Anthropology in Frankfurt, Germany from 1910-1917, when she married Wilhelm Benary. They settled in Erfurt, in East Germany.

When the Russians took over Germany, she fled to
More about Margot Benary-Isbert...

“Too bad people can't always be playing music, maybe then there wouldn't be any more wars.” 71 likes