Start by marking “Osama Van Halen” as Want to Read:
Osama Van Halen

Osama Van Halen

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Amazing Ayyub, an Iranian Shi'ite skinhead, and Rabeya, a burqa-wearing punk, have kidnapped Matt Damon and are holding him hostage. They demand that Hollywood depict Muslims in a positive light—“just one movie where we're not these two-dimensional al Qaeda stereotypes.” But Damon's concerned they're playing into that same terrorist paradigm, thereby furthering the neocons ...more
Published June 2nd 2009 by Soft Skull Press

To ask other readers questions about Osama Van Halen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Osama Van Halen

Malcolm
I am pretty sure I am not the intended audience for this book (although with a pretty good grasp of the interplay of denominations within Islam, of the pop culture context this addresses, the politics of the era at play - although out here in the English provinces I will admit I am a long way from the youth cultures at the core of the book) with its irreverent, post-modern political take early 21st century Islamic youth cultures in the USA. I really liked the idea (more than the execution) of Kn ...more
Melinda
Really, I don't know what to say about this book. It's offensive and obscene, but it's intentionally so. The objectification of women is blatant, and I thought Knight was unaware of how very sexist his work is, but in the end one of Knight's characters "addresses" that issue, you could say. There are some clever bits of satire scattered through the book, but it's an uncomfortable read, and I still don't know what to think of it.
Zack
Please click this link for my review: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-83...

For my INTERVIEW WITH THE AUTHOR, click here: http://www.dscriber.com/home/200-talk...
Shaina Leitch
I was actually pretty disappointed in this book. The Taqwacores is one of my favorites and remains as one of my go-to drinking subjects. And, being that that was my only MMK experience, my expectations of Osama Van Halen were rather high.
While I liked the idea of the author turning himself into a fictional character, it made the reading experience a little odd. The characters were kind of all over the place and so was the storyline. Matt Damon is abducted but then disappears with Rabeya, who sh
Saba Razvi
This book is interesting when read alongside "The Taqwacores". On its own, I'm not sure how well it would work. It seems part memoir, part story, part explication of the aforementioned novel. I might have liked it better if the stories in the book were more fleshed out. It was, however, fun to encounter characters like Amazing Ayyub and Basim (who is a real life person and also a character, like the writer himself) and Rabia. The use of zombies was wholly unexpected. I'd recommend it to those wh ...more
N.S.
I would have read this in one sitting, but night fell and I was already way behind on sleep. Still, the total elapsed time from the start of the process to its finish was 17 hours, so you could say I couldn't put it down.

It's certainly not for everyone. You'll need a rough grasp of world religions, politics and pop culture, otherwise you will be lost. However, the thing fiction does best is allow us to enter worlds unlike our own, and in doing so expand the scope of our understanding. Want to k
Don
Embarrassingly (or not), pretty much everything I know about Islam comes from MMK's novels.

If you haven't read Taqwacores, this novel (?!) will not make a bit of sense. If you didn't like Taqwacores, you will hate it. But what the fuck, you should read it anyway because it's amazing. Read Taqwacores and then this and then kidnap Matt Damon.

Michael Muhammad Knight and Joshua Cohen are my favorite young writers. Fucking maniacs. Give me more more more.
Jason
One of the cooler subcultures I've encountered in a book: taqwacores or Muslim punks. The story of Amazing Ayyub, a taqwacore battling zombies and other mythical creatures on a mission to rid the world of the first Muslim emo group, which threatens the purity of the taqwacore scene, and also of the author himself who struggles with his own Islamic faith and with an exaggerated, fictionalized version of himself who needs to be destroyed.
Jesse
The sequel to the much tamer Taqwacores fictional account of Islamic punk rock. Osama Van Halen has sex, violence and a bunch of Arabic words I don't understand! About a Shia skinhead who battles zombies, psychobilly djinni's, and a poseur Muslim emo band called Shah 79. The author writes himself into the story only to get beheaded at the end by a riot grrrl in a burka. Enjoyably twisted sense of humor.
Matt Friedman
As a kind of quasi-autobiographical follow-up to The Taqwacores, this was actually quite disappointing, particularly on the level of raw vulgarity. Having read a number of other MMK books earlier, there is a feeling of a being puked on by an otherwise generally-admired acquaintance, or perhaps having received some sort of unsolicited confession. Even for MMK aficionados, this might be worth skipping.
Richmond
A ripping, deconstructed novel in which the author has a major role, about Muslim punk bands and the state of post-modern, post-9/11 Islam. The climax of the book unfortunately mirrors a real-life event which happened four years after the author wrote his book. Totally interesting, brutal, and yet fun stuff. Am looking forward to reading Taqwacores.
Yasmin
Kind of experimental; the book weaves from straight first-person narrative from the author's perspective, to a loose plot involving zombies. There are some interesting parts, but definitely not my favorite Michael Muhammad Knight.
Ronald
Mike Knight moves to the next level on his creative and mesmerizing story of Muslim punk in the USA and it's impact on attitudes of traditional Muslims and others toward this very unique movement.
Oriana
Dec 24, 2008 Oriana marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-soon
Who is this crazy person with all these insane books? Soft Skull is publishing five of his books this year & next. WTF I'd better hurry up & start reading.
Lysandre Parent
Lysandre Parent marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Deminerka
Deminerka marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Zaki Ibrahim
Zaki Ibrahim marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Dylan Benito
Dylan Benito marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Justin Hall
Justin Hall marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Emiliano Campos
Emiliano Campos marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Amy Jaeger
Amy Jaeger marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Michael Muhammad Knight (born 1977) is an American novelist, essayist, and journalist. His writings are popular among American Muslim youth. The San Francisco Chronicle described him as "one of the most necessary and, paradoxically enough, hopeful writers of Barack Obama's America," while The Guardian has described him as "the Hunter S. Thompson of Islamic literature," and his non-fiction work exe ...more
More about Michael Muhammad Knight...
The Taqwacores Journey to the End of Islam The Five Percenters: Islam, Hip hop and the Gods of New York Blue-Eyed Devil: A Road Odyssey Through Islamic America Impossible Man