Start by marking “Pretzel” as Want to Read:
Pretzel

Pretzel

The longest dachshund in the world, Pretzel is admired by all and the winner of a blue ribbon at the dog show. Only Greta, the little dachshund across the street, doesn't care for long dogs. At least not until she gets into a jam out of which only a long dog can help her. This classic story of puppy love will win the hearts of both old and new Pretzel fans.
Published August 25th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Pretzel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretzel

Stephanie
Apr 15, 2009 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
Pretzel is the story of a daschund. And unusual daschund. A very loooooooooong daschund. Actually, he was the longest daschund in the world! For the most part his great length was an asset to him - when he was one, he won a blue ribbon at a dog show and was admired by all the other dogs.

However. :)

The little dog across the street, Greta, did not like Pretzel. And Pretzel really liked Greta. Her thoughts on the matter: "I don't care for long dogs." The rest of the story details how Pretzel tries
ABC
May 09, 2008 ABC rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: kindergarteners
Shelves: younger-kids
Kind of weird book. Pretzel is a daschund who wins a prize because he is so very long. He likes a female daschund, but she doesn't like him because she "doesn't care for long dogs." But then she falls in a hole and, due to his length, Pretzel can rescue her. She agrees to marry him because he saved her life. Awwww!!!!!

"Will you marry me now?"
"I will, but not for your length!"

Bizarre. That made me laugh out loud. I know I married my hubby for his length. ;-)
Melissa Anderson
Oct 14, 2011 Melissa Anderson rated it it was amazing
This is a love story between two wieners....it's just beautiful
Maria Burel
May 22, 2012 Maria Burel rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
If you’re a fan of classic children’s stories, see if you can get your hands on this this one. Pretzel, the world’s longest dachshund, has a case of puppy love. But the object of his affections, Greta just “{doesn’t} care for long dogs.” Nothing personal, of course. Despite all his best efforts, it seems like all hope is lost, until one day Pretzel finds himself in a position to help the hard-to-get Greta in a way that only he can.

It’s a puppy love story, with a slight Lady and the Tramp feel, a
Shannon
Jan 16, 2015 Shannon rated it it was amazing
One day in May, five little dachshunds were born. One of them, was Pretzel, who would grow into the world's longest dachshunds, whom everyone admired...except for Greta, the little black dachshund from across the street.

This sweet story, authored by Margret Rey, who is well know for Curious George, is a love story between two dachshunds....and the lengths the Pretzel must go to win Greta's heart.

Brittany Perry
Jun 08, 2014 Brittany Perry rated it it was amazing
A lovely tale that shows outer beauty is not all it's cracked up to be and how love is more than looks. A very handsome and distinguished dog finds himself in love. However the object of his affection is not stunned by outward appearances and ends up only falling for him after he shows that he has more to offer than his looks. An excellent book for youngsters on an important lesson.
Hannah Jane
Jan 17, 2016 Hannah Jane rated it really liked it
- adorable hero wiener dog story
- illustrations are simple and sweet
- Pretzel's crush, Greta, is obnoxious and uninterested, but you can't help who you love and maybe, just maybe, he wins her over
Beth
Sep 03, 2011 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
There are five dachshund puppies. Pretzel keeps growning larger until he is the longest dog in the world. All love him except the little dachshund Gretta. After he saves her, she does love him and they get married. Then they have their own family of five.
Dianna
Aug 14, 2010 Dianna rated it it was amazing
Pretzel, the distinguished, extra-long dachshund, wants to marry the little dog across the way . . . but she thinks he's too long. She changes her mind when she falls into a deep hole and he gets her out. First published in 1944, this book is charming but not dated.
Kellie
A friend of mine introduced me to this book after I adopted a dachshund.

I love this book. It's my first purchase whenever I need a baby gift (from the dog, naturally). I've even read it to my own dachshund! :)
Emily
Sep 26, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I can't help myself. Story time with Darcy and Finn ASAP.
Robin Rockman
Apr 26, 2016 Robin Rockman rated it really liked it
heh. "length" in a guy is not everything.
Natalie Malone
May 21, 2017 Natalie Malone rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I used to read this book to my brother when he was little. Tonight, I reread it to my little one and he started kicking me where I could feel him. It's one of my favorites and now I forever cherish this momment forever.
Anna
Mar 29, 2016 Anna rated it liked it
I have a funny story about this book. A couple of my friends from college, Heidi and Heather, are as in love with dachshunds as I am. We bonded over our love for our perpetual-puppies. I like to give them dachshund related items, and this Christmas I decided I would find a book for them. I found Pretzel online, and even though I hadn’t read it I bought a copy for both of them. The same day I put their books in the mail I got a package from Heidi in the mail—and she had got me a copy of Pretzel t ...more
Meg Jahns
Jun 07, 2016 Meg Jahns rated it really liked it
Pretzel is an exceptionally long dachshund, and has received lots of notoriety for his looks. Pretzel falls in loves with a normal sized dachshund named Greta, but she wants nothing to do with him and claims she does not like long dogs. He continues to pursue her, but every time she rejects him. One day Greta falls into a deep hole, and Pretzel is able to save her due to his length. After she is saved, she tells him that she really does like him for who he is, and they get married and start a fa ...more
Professor
Apr 27, 2015 Professor rated it it was ok
My mother-in-law has a very small selection of books on hand to read, some of which are her children's childhood books. Apparently Pretzel is one of these. I love the illustrations, but the story is weird reading these days:
Pretzel is an insanely long Dachshund. He likes Greta and wants to marry her, but Greta doesn't like long Dachshunds. So he gives her gifts, and she isn't interested. He does tricks to impress her, but she's not interested. Finally, he saves her and she marries him. While yo
Dolly
Dec 29, 2012 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, pets, 2012
I am sure that I read this book when I was a child - probably more than once. So I was very excited to read this one with our girls. And probably none too soon, as they are starting to grow out of simple books like this one.

The narrative is short and entertaining and the illustrations are colorful and certainly remind me of the pictures from the many Curious George books I read when I was young. Our girls never really got into George, but they liked this story.

Overall, this is a sweet tale to
Dharia Scarab
Dec 27, 2015 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

Myself, I go ou
Phillip Lemons
Feb 01, 2016 Phillip Lemons rated it liked it
Shelves: young-books
This is a doggie live story. I was not prepared for this, so I'll share that up front. Illustrated by Curious George creator, but written by Margaret Rey.

What I liked:
- The fun and familiar illustrations from the Curious George universe.
- The book is great for reading out loud.

What I didn't like:
- I took exception to the dog being willing to do anything to win the love of the female dog, even when his attention was unwanted. In kind, I also didn't like that the female dog agrees to marry the
nicole
May 16, 2007 nicole rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Pretzel's a super crazy long weiner dog. He's got the mad hots for another daschund but there's a problem: She doesn't like long dogs. That is until she falls down a well and Pretzel stretches on down to swoop her up into his loving paws forever and ever amen.

But really, it cracks me up. Pretzel's all "hey baby let's go out" and she's like 'I got a man" and Pretzel's like "whatcho man got to do with me?" and repeat, repeat, repeat until bitch finds herself down the crapper! In the end it's a ver
Lea Beall
Oct 05, 2015 Lea Beall rated it it was amazing
This was a lovable tale. Pretzel is a very long dachshund who can't get the attention of the lady dog he loves. How will he win her? Pretzel can do amazing tricks as you can imagine. He even wins prizes, but he can't seem to win that one elusive darling he wants. A cute story of love, bravery, loyalty and devotion with a funny, Pretzel twist!
As usual the Reys have done a great job on a book. Loved the illustrations. Cute details to catch the imagination, nice bright color and delightful expressi
Jessie
Sep 10, 2015 Jessie rated it it was ok
I realize that this will make me sound crazy, because on its surface this is a classic picture book about an adorable dachshund. But the whole story is about how Pretzel falls in love with a lady dog who dislikes him and then he proceeds to give her presents, beg for her affection, and stalk her. There is literally a page that says something about how he had been following and watching her all the time. CREEPY. So he rescues her and she decides he's not so bad and they get married. UGH. Awful.
Geneva
Mar 10, 2014 Geneva rated it liked it
I dunno, it's cute and all but I'm not sure I really like the implied message that, if you give a girl stuff and help her out, even if you're not her type, she'll end up marrying you. The kid was all "She's so MEAN" and I tried to point out that the lady-dog was not mean because she wouldn't marry Pretzel but maybe a little mean for continuing to take his stuff.

Probably reading too much into it.
Amy Adams
Sep 05, 2012 Amy Adams rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a book by the author(s) of the Curious George series. The illustrations were definitely the best thing about this book. The story starts out really cute, but I lost interest pretty quickly. It might be good for really small kids who like lots of repetition or who have very short attention spans and want a quick book.
George
Jun 11, 2009 George rated it really liked it
OK....the only reason this isn't getting 5 stars is because I feel pretty strongly that Pretzel should have given that prissy poodle the cold shoulder when she was down in that well for snubbing him in the first place. But Pretzel is more of an adult than me and that's why we love him in the first place, right?
Jessica
Feb 04, 2014 Jessica rated it did not like it
Shelves: children-s-books
I didn't like the message I felt this book was telling. Greta didn't accept Pretzel because he didn't look like other dachshunds. He was super long and no matter what he did or gave her she wouldn't accept him and was quite rude to him too. But when he comes to her rescue she finally accepts him and they get married. What?!
Jenny
Feb 04, 2016 Jenny rated it it was amazing
När jag var liten förstod jag inte riktigt hur Kringel kunde vara så snäll och samtidigt inte så jättesmart, tyckte jag. Jag kan väl bara säga att jag var ganska rättfram när jag var liten.
Kringel går att tolka på väldigt många sätt, kanske en del av bokens tjusning? Plus i kanten för fina illustrationer.
Josh Caporale
Aug 01, 2015 Josh Caporale rated it liked it
I remember this from when I was younger, especially since I had an affection for and had previously owned a Dachshund myself. With that being said, I really enjoyed this book during childhood and I thought Pretzel was quite sweet in the way I feel a Smooth Dachshund would be (I could see Link acting this way), but I feel that its message can be very misleading for young readers.
Kerrikoala
Jun 27, 2015 Kerrikoala rated it liked it
Did euphemisms not exist when this book was written? It's about a dachshund (aka a wiener dog), and I wanted to giggle every time Greta said, "I don't like long dogs." That said, this is an usual book for kids, because it's about a dog that wants to marry another dog, and she keeps refusing him. What?
Wesley Rea
Feb 08, 2016 Wesley Rea rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of my favorite children's books. My wife and I picked it up from Powell's Book Store in Portland, Oregon. It's such an adorable book because it basically has the dachshund personality perfectly expressed. I am certain that I will be reading and re-reading this classic with my future children as a bedtime story.
  • Bearshadow (Moonbear)
  • Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Around the Year
  • McDuff and the Baby
  • Waiting for Wings (Rise and Shine)
  • Mama, Is It Summer Yet?
  • Choo Choo
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar
More about Margret Rey...