Start by marking “Pretzel” as Want to Read:
Pretzel

Pretzel

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  42 reviews
The longest dachshund in the world, Pretzel is admired by all and the winner of a blue ribbon at the dog show. Only Greta, the little dachshund across the street, doesn't care for long dogs. At least not until she gets into a jam out of which only a long dog can help her. This classic story of puppy love will win the hearts of both old and new Pretzel fans.
Published August 25th 1997 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Pretzel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pretzel

Cheryl
Huh? The female dog keeps all the gifts Pretzel woos her with, while saying "no," and then all of a sudden decides to 'marry' him because he saves her life? She says she's not marrying him because of his length, but it's his length that enables him to save her.

Is this anything like the lessons of choosing a partner that we would prefer our children to learn? Or is it ok, because they are dogs after all, and she is a bitch? Is it ok that he's proud of his shape, of which he has no control, becau
Stephanie
Pretzel is the story of a daschund. And unusual daschund. A very loooooooooong daschund. Actually, he was the longest daschund in the world! For the most part his great length was an asset to him - when he was one, he won a blue ribbon at a dog show and was admired by all the other dogs.

However. :)

The little dog across the street, Greta, did not like Pretzel. And Pretzel really liked Greta. Her thoughts on the matter: "I don't care for long dogs." The rest of the story details how Pretzel tries
Kirei
May 09, 2008 Kirei rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: kindergarteners
Shelves: younger-kids
Kind of weird book. Pretzel is a daschund who wins a prize because he is so very long. He likes a female daschund, but she doesn't like him because she "doesn't care for long dogs." But then she falls in a hole and, due to his length, Pretzel can rescue her. She agrees to marry him because he saved her life. Awwww!!!!!

"Will you marry me now?"
"I will, but not for your length!"

Bizarre. That made me laugh out loud. I know I married my hubby for his length. ;-)
Melissa Anderson
This is a love story between two wieners....it's just beautiful
Shannon
One day in May, five little dachshunds were born. One of them, was Pretzel, who would grow into the world's longest dachshunds, whom everyone admired...except for Greta, the little black dachshund from across the street.

This sweet story, authored by Margret Rey, who is well know for Curious George, is a love story between two dachshunds....and the lengths the Pretzel must go to win Greta's heart.

Geneva
I dunno, it's cute and all but I'm not sure I really like the implied message that, if you give a girl stuff and help her out, even if you're not her type, she'll end up marrying you. The kid was all "She's so MEAN" and I tried to point out that the lady-dog was not mean because she wouldn't marry Pretzel but maybe a little mean for continuing to take his stuff.

Probably reading too much into it.
Brittany Perry
A lovely tale that shows outer beauty is not all it's cracked up to be and how love is more than looks. A very handsome and distinguished dog finds himself in love. However the object of his affection is not stunned by outward appearances and ends up only falling for him after he shows that he has more to offer than his looks. An excellent book for youngsters on an important lesson.
Dolly
Dec 30, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
I am sure that I read this book when I was a child - probably more than once. So I was very excited to read this one with our girls. And probably none too soon, as they are starting to grow out of simple books like this one.

The narrative is short and entertaining and the illustrations are colorful and certainly remind me of the pictures from the many Curious George books I read when I was young. Our girls never really got into George, but they liked this story.

Overall, this is a sweet tale to
Jessica
I didn't like the message I felt this book was telling. Greta didn't accept Pretzel because he didn't look like other dachshunds. He was super long and no matter what he did or gave her she wouldn't accept him and was quite rude to him too. But when he comes to her rescue she finally accepts him and they get married. What?!
Karen
This book is cute, of course, since the illustrations are by H.A. Rey, but I didn't like the story very much. Not all kids' books have to have a moral, but, still, there should be some point to them.
nicole
Pretzel's a super crazy long weiner dog. He's got the mad hots for another daschund but there's a problem: She doesn't like long dogs. That is until she falls down a well and Pretzel stretches on down to swoop her up into his loving paws forever and ever amen.

But really, it cracks me up. Pretzel's all "hey baby let's go out" and she's like 'I got a man" and Pretzel's like "whatcho man got to do with me?" and repeat, repeat, repeat until bitch finds herself down the crapper! In the end it's a ver
Maria Burel
If you’re a fan of classic children’s stories, see if you can get your hands on this this one. Pretzel, the world’s longest dachshund, has a case of puppy love. But the object of his affections, Greta just “{doesn’t} care for long dogs.” Nothing personal, of course. Despite all his best efforts, it seems like all hope is lost, until one day Pretzel finds himself in a position to help the hard-to-get Greta in a way that only he can.

It’s a puppy love story, with a slight Lady and the Tramp feel, a
Emily
I can't help myself. Story time with Darcy and Finn ASAP.
Richard
Cute but not sure of the message of this book...
Robin
Cute doxy tale.
Sassy
Greta is mean. "Thanks for the ball but I don't like long dogs!" what a gold digger! and Pretzel is a sap. I don't like this book.

Hmmmmm but then again, maybe Greta is telling Pretzel he can't buy her love with fancy gifts, it's all about actions. That's a better message than what I originally thought. Still, I'm not a fan. Maybe it's the talking. and the fact that they're dachshunds.
Amy Adams
This is a book by the author(s) of the Curious George series. The illustrations were definitely the best thing about this book. The story starts out really cute, but I lost interest pretty quickly. It might be good for really small kids who like lots of repetition or who have very short attention spans and want a quick book.
George
OK....the only reason this isn't getting 5 stars is because I feel pretty strongly that Pretzel should have given that prissy poodle the cold shoulder when she was down in that well for snubbing him in the first place. But Pretzel is more of an adult than me and that's why we love him in the first place, right?
Deborah Harris
Dec 31, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a31
AR Quiz No. 102607 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP
Dianna
Pretzel, the distinguished, extra-long dachshund, wants to marry the little dog across the way . . . but she thinks he's too long. She changes her mind when she falls into a deep hole and he gets her out. First published in 1944, this book is charming but not dated.
Beth
There are five dachshund puppies. Pretzel keeps growning larger until he is the longest dog in the world. All love him except the little dachshund Gretta. After he saves her, she does love him and they get married. Then they have their own family of five.
Kellie
A friend of mine introduced me to this book after I adopted a dachshund.

I love this book. It's my first purchase whenever I need a baby gift (from the dog, naturally). I've even read it to my own dachshund! :)
Bill Sannwald
Why Pretzel wastes his time on someone that won't give him the time of day until she's trapped in a pit is beyond me. But the artwork is cute and the story is good for a before-bed read.
(NS) Heatherk
One of my favorite books of all time! Dachshund lovers (and dog lovers) will cherish this book about friendship and helping others. If only dogs could truly talk!
Courtney
My daughter and I loved this one! We didn't care for Greta's attitude but Pretzel was persistent! Great classic book and I can never resist Dachshund books!
R.M.
this is a great book for younger kids... well, for anyone, if they just want something funny to read. The dog on the cover looks like a sausage.
Hillary Hayman
One of my all time favorites, this book tells the story of an extra long dashuand, whose length comes in handy.
Gretchen
I like this book because I have a dachshund, and it's a cute story - a bit old-fashioned but cute and good for kids.
Dawn Bradley
One of my favorite books as a child! Ill never tire of this adorable little dog and his true love, Greta!
LINDA
The simply sweet last line is the same as the first line, and every line in between is full of adorableness!
  • Katy No-Pocket
  • A Pair of Red Clogs
  • Yes Day!
  • Penguin's Hidden Talent
  • Choo Choo
  • Degas and the Little Dancer (Anholt's Artists)
  • Dinothesaurus: Prehistoric Poems and Paintings
  • King: A Street Story
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Andy and the Lion
  • 1, 2, 3 to the Zoo
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • Waiting for Wings
Margret Elizabeth Rey (May 16, 1906 – December 21, 1996), born Margarete Elisabeth Waldstein, was (with her husband H. A. Rey), the co-author and illustrator of children's books, best known for their Curious George

Although she was born in Germany, she fled to Brazil early in her life to escape Nazism. While there, she met her future husband Hans (who was a salesman and also from Germany). They mar
More about Margret Rey...
The Complete Adventures of Curious George Curious George Goes to the Hospital Curious George Visits the Library Curious George Visits the Zoo Curious George Flies a Kite