Start by marking “Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook

Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  282 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Meet the Neelys: Pat and Gina, husband-and-wife team, hosts of their own television show, and proprietors of the celebrated Memphis and Nashville eateries, Neely’s Bar-B-Que.

The Neelys’ down-home approach to cooking has earned them the highest accolades from coast to coast. It has also won them millions of viewers on the Food Network. Simply put, the Neelys are all about g
Published May 12th 2009 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Down Home with the Neelys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Home with the Neelys

Virginia Campbell
I very much enjoy watching the Neelys' cooking show on the Food Network. Pat Neely's gentle humor is the perfect counterpoint for the spirit and sass of his wife, Gina. These folks really know how to cook, and they cook much more than just the BBQ for which they are famous. There is a wide variety of recipes in this book. Food that is prepared with love and intuition, and then well-seasoned with spices and flavorings. Some of the recipes and cooking methods are very similar to my own family's co ...more
Cherice
Good cookbook, the book was unique in that it shares the couple’s background, how they met, married, opened their restaurants and got their own TV show.

The recipes are great, though not light on the calories. I made the shrimp with spicy sauce and corn bread. Both were quite tasty. Lots of advice for cooking BBQ and making sauces and rubs. Of course lots of BBQ recipes, but also lots of other items and drinks to make a good variety of foods.
Anushka
I loved it the recipes were clear and easy to understand I've always loved the Neely's. really good.
Crystal
I found the cookbook to be as warm and inviting as their tv show. Plus, the pictures of thier family was an added bonus.

As far as the recipes, I thought it was great that they manage to get barbeque into almost everything! All of the recipes sounded delicious, and I can't wait to make them.
Racehorse732
Wasn't a bad cook book..i made a few dishes..nice variety. my only gripe is with the quality of the book itself...haven't had it three months and its already losing pages.

dishes to make: get yo man chicken lol
Cj
My mommy surprised me with this and I really enjoyed using it, because there's a good amount of recipes that the family and I have enjoyed. I'll be using this book for a a very long time.
Mrs. Vixen
This is one of the few cookbooks that I have recently purchased and I like from begining to end. That is a rare moment in my book, it is so hard to find good Southern cookbooks.
K. East
No heart-healthy recipes here. Just good, home cooking. The sauces and rubs are to die for. Most recipes are also online, however, saving the need to copy them.
NList
I really like the cole slaw and green bean with new potatoes recipes. Beware of the sugar content in both - I usually cut it at least in half.
Randie
Lots of great tips. More pictures of the Neelys and their family than pictures of the recipes, but I still enjoyed the background information.
Kathy
Interesting format -- Learned more about the Neeleys story and found many interesting recipes. May have to buy the cookbook.
Yvette
Feb 05, 2013 Yvette added it
I didn't get to try many recipes, but the Southern Gumbo was the bomb and a definitely a hit with my Fam.
Heather
fun stories, great recipes. the spicy corn chowder with sweet potatoes and smoked paprika is way yummy!
Shamieka
I love them. Love the show. There are several things that I have tried from the book, it has all been yummy!
Dawn
subtitled a Southern Family Cookbook. some modern twists and some standard favorites.
Ron
I gave it 4 stars because I know some of the family members so this made it a fun read.
Angela Haygood
The BBQ sauce is a staple in my kitchen ( I add sambal for spice...nice book.
Anina
I haven't tried any of these recipes yet but they all look really delicious.
Millicent
Great book but not very healthy.
Ashley Gibson
Ashley Gibson marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Laura marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Amy Sjoquist
Amy Sjoquist marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Janet Miller
Janet Miller marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • A Love Affair With Southern Cooking: Recipes And Recollections
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen: An Indespensible Guide for Anybody Who Likes to Cook
  • Molto Gusto: Easy Italian Cooking
  • Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes
  • At Home with Madhur Jaffrey: Simple, Delectable Dishes from India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka
  • Mark Bittman's Quick and Easy Recipes from the New York Times
  • Fix, Freeze, Feast: Prepare in Bulk and Enjoy by the Serving, More Than 125 Recipes
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady & Sons, Too!
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered
  • Ginger and Ganesh: Adventures in Indian Cooking, Culture, and Love
The Neelys' Celebration Cookbook: Down-Home Meals for Every Occasion Back Home with the Neelys: Comfort Food from Our Southern Kitchen to Yours