Start by marking “Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook

Down Home with the Neelys: A Southern Family Cookbook

Meet the Neelys: Pat and Gina, husband-and-wife team, hosts of their own television show, and proprietors of the celebrated Memphis and Nashville eateries, Neely’s Bar-B-Que.

The Neelys’ down-home approach to cooking has earned them the highest accolades from coast to coast. It has also won them millions of viewers on the Food Network. Simply put, the Neelys are all about g
Published May 12th 2009 by Knopf

To ask other readers questions about Down Home with the Neelys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down Home with the Neelys

Virginia Campbell
I very much enjoy watching the Neelys' cooking show on the Food Network. Pat Neely's gentle humor is the perfect counterpoint for the spirit and sass of his wife, Gina. These folks really know how to cook, and they cook much more than just the BBQ for which they are famous. There is a wide variety of recipes in this book. Food that is prepared with love and intuition, and then well-seasoned with spices and flavorings. Some of the recipes and cooking methods are very similar to my own family's co ...more
Angie
Feb 28, 2016 Angie rated it really liked it
I have borrowed this several times from a local library, and have made many recipes from this.

I gave it 4 stars, instead of 5 stars, only because some of the ingredients are nearly impossible to find where I live. And, because of the scarcity of those few ingredients, there are a few recipes I am not able to make.

But what I have made was loved by me and my family. And their stories and comments; they are hilarious. If only I had as much fun in my kitchen as they're having in theirs.
Cherice
May 29, 2009 Cherice rated it really liked it
Good cookbook, the book was unique in that it shares the couple’s background, how they met, married, opened their restaurants and got their own TV show.

The recipes are great, though not light on the calories. I made the shrimp with spicy sauce and corn bread. Both were quite tasty. Lots of advice for cooking BBQ and making sauces and rubs. Of course lots of BBQ recipes, but also lots of other items and drinks to make a good variety of foods.
Crystal
Nov 18, 2009 Crystal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, cookery
I found the cookbook to be as warm and inviting as their tv show. Plus, the pictures of thier family was an added bonus.

As far as the recipes, I thought it was great that they manage to get barbeque into almost everything! All of the recipes sounded delicious, and I can't wait to make them.
Racehorse732
Jul 09, 2009 Racehorse732 rated it it was amazing
Wasn't a bad cook book..i made a few dishes..nice variety. my only gripe is with the quality of the book itself...haven't had it three months and its already losing pages.

dishes to make: get yo man chicken lol
Millicent
Jan 08, 2014 Millicent rated it liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Great book but not very healthy.
Heather
Jul 24, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
fun stories, great recipes. the spicy corn chowder with sweet potatoes and smoked paprika is way yummy!
NList
Feb 11, 2011 NList rated it really liked it
I really like the cole slaw and green bean with new potatoes recipes. Beware of the sugar content in both - I usually cut it at least in half.
Kathy
Jun 04, 2009 Kathy rated it really liked it
Interesting format -- Learned more about the Neeleys story and found many interesting recipes. May have to buy the cookbook.
Ron
Jan 15, 2010 Ron rated it really liked it
I gave it 4 stars because I know some of the family members so this made it a fun read.
Cj
Jun 09, 2013 Cj rated it really liked it
My mommy surprised me with this and I really enjoyed using it, because there's a good amount of recipes that the family and I have enjoyed. I'll be using this book for a a very long time.
Dawn
Nov 05, 2010 Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
subtitled a Southern Family Cookbook. some modern twists and some standard favorites.
Anushka
Dec 19, 2014 Anushka rated it it was amazing
Shelves: roberta
I loved it the recipes were clear and easy to understand I've always loved the Neely's. really good.
Yvette
Jan 16, 2013 Yvette added it
I didn't get to try many recipes, but the Southern Gumbo was the bomb and a definitely a hit with my Fam.
K. East
Jun 18, 2011 K. East rated it it was amazing
No heart-healthy recipes here. Just good, home cooking. The sauces and rubs are to die for. Most recipes are also online, however, saving the need to copy them.
Angela Haygood
Jan 17, 2012 Angela Haygood rated it really liked it
The BBQ sauce is a staple in my kitchen ( I add sambal for spice...nice book.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Aug 19, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
Shelves: cook-books
Lots of great tips. More pictures of the Neelys and their family than pictures of the recipes, but I still enjoyed the background information.
Mrs. Vixen
Jun 03, 2009 Mrs. Vixen rated it it was amazing
This is one of the few cookbooks that I have recently purchased and I like from begining to end. That is a rare moment in my book, it is so hard to find good Southern cookbooks.
Shamieka
Sep 07, 2010 Shamieka rated it it was amazing
I love them. Love the show. There are several things that I have tried from the book, it has all been yummy!
Doug Whitt
Doug Whitt rated it it was amazing
Dec 21, 2016
dorothy guice
dorothy guice rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
April
April rated it really liked it
Nov 20, 2014
Dennis Robinson
Dennis Robinson rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Lauri McMullen
Lauri McMullen rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2015
Dawn
Dawn rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2015
Niquata
Niquata rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2015
JENNIFER L RASE
JENNIFER L RASE rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Steve Schwartz
Steve Schwartz rated it it was amazing
Oct 01, 2015
Sarah Seto
Sarah Seto rated it did not like it
Jan 26, 2015
Marlaine Cruz
Marlaine Cruz rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2017
  • The Casserole Queens Cookbook: Put Some Lovin' in Your Oven with 100 Easy One-Dish Recipes
  • Bobby Flay's Burgers, Fries, and Shakes
  • A Love Affair With Southern Cooking: Recipes And Recollections
  • Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics: The Lady & Sons Savannah Country Cookbook and The Lady & Sons, Too!
  • Slow Cooker: The Best Cookbook Ever
  • Great Food, All Day Long: Cook Splendidly, Eat Smart
  • Top Secret Recipes--Sodas, Smoothies, Spirits, & Shakes: Creating Cool Kitchen Clones of America's Favorite Brand-Name Drinks
  • Glorious One-Pot Meals: A Revolutionary New Quick and Healthy Approach to Dutch-Oven Cooking
  • Southern Plate: Classic Comfort Food That Makes Everyone Feel Like Family
  • Michael Symon's Live to Cook: Recipes and Techniques to Rock Your Kitchen
  • So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
  • 'wichcraft: Craft a Sandwich into a Meal--And a Meal into a Sandwich
  • Quick & Easy Chinese: 70 Everyday Recipes
  • Flat Belly Diet! Cookbook: 200 New MUFA Recipes
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Georgia Cooking in an Oklahoma Kitchen: Recipes from My Family to Yours
  • The Meat Lover's Meatless Cookbook: Vegetarian Recipes Carnivores Will Devour
  • All Cakes Considered: A Year's Worth of Weekly Recipes Tested, Tasted, and Approved by the Staff of NPR's All Things Considered