Start by marking “Tchaikovsky: The Man and His Music” as Want to Read:
Tchaikovsky: The Man and His Music

Tchaikovsky: The Man and His Music

In any language, it is definitive.-The Sunday Telegraph A magnificent achievement, and one which can only deepen our appreciation and understanding of this great composer.-The Sunday Times (London) This very distinctive new work on Tchaikovsky uniquely combines a lively biography of Russia's best-loved composer with a chronological guide to his music, ranging from the ...more
Published April 1st 2007 by Pegasus Books

To ask other readers questions about Tchaikovsky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tchaikovsky

Scott Fuchs
Apr 28, 2011 Scott Fuchs rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Paradox: David Brown's highly acclaimed four volume history on Tchaikovsky was much more than I wanted to tackle, so I settled for this, his one volume concise overview of the composer and his music. Half way through, I realized that I was disappointed in the book having incomplete information. Still determined to not approach the four volume set, I pursued this book to its end.
Much of the book [1/4 maybe] is devoted to a description and a technical survey of the music itself. These are certainl
William Ainsworth
Dec 12, 2012 William Ainsworth rated it it was amazing
I read this book after finding it in a charity shop and I'm so glad I did. Through reading this book I have discovered many new and wonderful pieces of music by the composer. Previously, I thought of Tchaikovsky as primarily being a composer of ballets and a piano concerto. I never realised he had written such wonderful stuff as the three string quartets, a second piano concerto, concert overtures, symphonies, a violin concerto and lesser known pieces such as The Storm and Fatum, and much more. ...more
Elizabeth
Someone who values music criticism would undoubtably get more out of this than I did; it's badly organized (thematic? chronological? not-quite-neither) and there is not nearly enough social context for the lay reader. The large cast of characters in Tchaikovsky's life is badly sketched, making it very difficult to keep track of who is who and what significance they have, very few events are dated explicitly, and Brown's attitude toward his subject's sexuality is frankly creepy.
Graham Binner
Jan 12, 2008 Graham Binner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: music, biography
This is an excellent one volume biography of Tchaikovsky. After reading this book, I felt that I had really got to know Tchaikovsky as a person.

In addition to the well written biographical component of this book, there are also highly informative descriptions of Tchaikovsky's compositions.
Kirk Lowery
Aug 06, 2011 Kirk Lowery rated it really liked it
Shelves: music, biography
It is more than a simple "life and times" bio. Written by a UK musicologist, he also discusses the major works as a part of the flow of his story. It is nevertheless for the general reader. I find that I need to listen to the music as I go, so I'm collecting more music CDs. :-)
Yooperprof
Aug 15, 2008 Yooperprof rated it it was ok
Shelves: russia, lgbt, biography
Enthusiastic and sincere appreciation by a leading expert, but lacking objectivity and a grounding in the history of late 19th century Russia
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2011
Indigo
Indigo rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2014
Alexánder Obando
Alexánder Obando rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Dominic Carlone
Dominic Carlone rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2015
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Steve Kerby
Steve Kerby rated it really liked it
May 01, 2013
Andy Goldstein
Andy Goldstein rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2013
Stewart
Stewart rated it it was amazing
Nov 26, 2013
James
James rated it really liked it
Jan 17, 2016
Laura rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Susan
Susan rated it liked it
Oct 02, 2009
Jonathan Gill
Jonathan Gill rated it it was amazing
Jul 25, 2014
Evelyn
Evelyn rated it really liked it
Oct 03, 2011
Lillian
Lillian rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Tommy Baker
Tommy Baker rated it really liked it
May 19, 2016
John
John rated it liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Sarah Hayes
Sarah Hayes rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Louis Bergonzi
Louis Bergonzi rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Veronica
Veronica rated it liked it
Jul 25, 2015
Mark
Mark rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2013
Anja
Anja rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Susanna
Susanna rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2014
Robbie Raaen
Robbie Raaen rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2014
The musicologist:

David^^^^^^Brown
More about David Brown...