Start by marking “The Gorgon And Other Beastly Tales” as Want to Read:
The Gorgon And Other Beastly Tales

The Gorgon And Other Beastly Tales

THE GORGON, a brilliant shocker that leads off this scintillating new collection of Tanith Lee's tales, was the winner of the World Fantasy Award for best short story of the year. It is appropriate that it gives its title to these tales ranging from horror and the supernatural to science fiction, from the writer who has been justly termed "Princess Royal of Heroic Fantasy. ...more
Published 1985 by Science Fiction Book Club (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Gorgon And Other Beastly Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Gorgon And Other Beastly Tales

Karl
Oct 08, 2015 Karl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tanith_lee-own
Table of Contents:

"The Gorgon"
"Anna Medea"
"Meow"
"The Hunting of Death: The Unicorn"
"Magritte’s Secret Agent"
"Monkey’s Stagger"
"Sirriamnis"
"Because Our Skies Are Finer"
"Draco"
"Draco & La Reine Blanche"
Nighteye
Oct 12, 2013 Nighteye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story-readers, an easy read!
One of the best short story-books I've read, Tanith Lee takes us inside the different protagonists heads in those stories and paint a setting that at the first glance looks completely normal then twisting it with some supernatural elements, often with dark and evil powers that rises, making them suddenly hauntingly dark and mystic and it's not always so easy to tell what happens in then end. I like those twists as the refresh those stories, some are sett in our time, some in different worlds or ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Tanith Lee has been one of my favorite writers since my teens. She's equally adept at high fantasy or science fiction, has a prodigious imagination, and a lush, sensuous style. Here she proves she can impress as easily at short as in novel-length, and the 11 stories here show off a wide range. The title story "The Gorgon" won the World Fantasy Award for best short story, and most of the other stories are just as impressive. About half of the stories could be called Urban Fantasy, a couple scienc ...more
Jim
Aug 15, 2008 Jim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sproadicly wonderful collection. Some of these are wonderful, some of these are so-so. Anna Medea shows she has read Saki, and La Reine Blanche reminds one of Angela Carter. Sirriamnis reminded me of Clark Ashton Smith. She seems to switch voices effrortlessly. On the other hand, Monkey's Stagger and Draco Draco are mildly amusing fantasy. The High Points justify getting this collection.

Note : Approx 1/2 of this book are in Dreams of Dark and Light.
Jesse Sprague
Oct 08, 2014 Jesse Sprague rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite things about Tanith Lee has always been her first sentences. It is hard not to be immediately hooked. Nor do the short stories in The Gorgon disappoint once you get into the meat of them. While rarely cheerful there is always a certain humor under the words.

These stories impress me because they are all substantially different. Despite their differences you feel each is connected in style and intent leading to a seamless read.
Aine
Feb 03, 2017 Aine rated it really liked it
This was a trip down memory lane that I didn't know I was going on. Turns out, I have read this before as a kid, and it still holds up. Some stories were better than others but my favorites were:

The Gorgon
and Draco, Draco
Lauren
Dec 09, 2008 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tanith-lee
A collection of short stories of varying types, all enjoyable, although the disparities in writing atmosphere are sometimes a bit abrupt. My favorites are probably The Gorgon, which is brutally ironic in its revelation, & La Reine Blanche, which is worth crying over.
Mickey Schulz
Dec 03, 2008 Mickey Schulz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This short story collection includes some rewritten fairy tales, as well as the story "Sirriamnis" from which I take my username.
Georgene
Feb 26, 2015 Georgene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Georgene by: Philip Wickstrand
Shelves: horror
I think that deep down, men are afraid of women. Why else would there be so many tales of shape-sifting, witches, gorgons and the like? Stories are told of brave men from peasants to knight, but few of women.

This collection of short stories tells of some of these fears that men have of women. The stories are well told, but ultimately to the detriment of men. So, let them be afraid of us, for are we not the way in which the world carries on? Without women, there would be no men. For ALL men are a
Rusty
Dec 30, 2010 Rusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I liked the title story best, "The Gorgon." I understand why it was the winner of the World Fantasy Award for best short story of the year. It was not what I expected but I liked the story nevertheless. Other memorable tales for me were "Because Our Skins Are Shiny" which has a poignant reminder about saving the creatures of our earth, and "Monkey's Stagger," a tale about a man defeating a demon, was quite entertaining. All in all this is a quick, fun read.
Aaron
Sep 03, 2008 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
there is the werewolf tale that was awsome. someone suggested doing a short film about it or a full feature. the gorgon story was really something. I could picture the how the guy was effected by just looking at the girl's face. a girl he started to like and enjoy her company until he asked to see her face. man, I wonder if there are any people out there that can turn people into stone.
Emily Crow
Aug 26, 2013 Emily Crow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think Tanith Lee is at her best in short fiction, and I particularly enjoyed this collection.
Anabelee
A very classical storie, very lovecraftian in its spirit, except on the ending.
Monika
Apr 25, 2012 Monika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another masterful collection of short stories from Tanith Lee.
Vee James
Aug 19, 2013 Vee James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tanith Lee turns on her great language in each tale, matching vocabulary and style to each story.
Beth
Mar 23, 2008 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: dark fiction fans, short story lovers
Shelves: books-i-own
Another collection of short stories by the master, Ms. Lee, drawing on mythological inspiration. Complex, dark, and entertaining fiction as only she can write it.
Shelia
Shelia rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2007
Barry Hill
Barry Hill rated it really liked it
Aug 27, 2011
Hesper
Hesper rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2013
J.P.
J.P. rated it really liked it
May 02, 2011
Bas
Bas rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2016
Lizard
Lizard rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2014
Mely
Mely rated it it was ok
Feb 14, 2011
Heather Carouth
Heather Carouth rated it it was amazing
Jun 02, 2008
Michael  Frederick Faber
Michael Frederick Faber rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Eduardo Carrillo
Eduardo Carrillo rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Lotte Larsen
Lotte Larsen rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2015
Bob Pastorella
Bob Pastorella rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2011
Mythie
Mythie rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2013
Lydia Chew
Lydia Chew rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2016
  • The Ammonite Violin & Others
  • Clockwork Phoenix: More Tales of Beauty and Strangeness (Clockwork Phoenix, #2)
  • Master of the Sidhe
  • The Zanzibar Cat
  • The Best of Leigh Brackett
  • The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Science Fiction and Fantasy
  • The Best of C. L. Moore
  • The Sorceress and the Cygnet (Cygnet, #1)
  • Fearsome Journeys: The New Solaris Book of Fantasy
  • The Spellkey (Spellkey, #1-3)
  • The Celtic World
  • Fabulous Beasts
  • The Porcelain Dove
  • Amazons!
Tanith Lee was a British writer of science fiction, horror, and fantasy. She was the author of 77 novels, 14 collections, and almost 300 short stories. She also wrote four radio plays broadcast by the BBC and two scripts for the UK, science fiction, cult television series "Blake's 7."
Before becoming a full time writer, Lee worked as a file clerk, an assistant librarian, a shop assistant, and a wai
More about Tanith Lee...