Start by marking “Mama Rides Shotgun (A Mace Bauer Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Mama Rides Shotgun (A Mace Bauer Mystery #2)

Mama Rides Shotgun (A Mace Bauer Mystery #2)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Before Mama ties the sacred knot of matrimony for the 5th time, she coerces daughter Mace to saddle up for some country-gal bonding on the Florida Cracker Trail. The six-day trek gets off to a good start. At least until the wealthy rancher hosting the riders keels over in his Cow Hunter Chili.

A one-time beau of Mama's (and, really, who isn't?) Lawton Bramble had a bad tick
Published July 8th 2009 by Midnight Ink (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mama Rides Shotgun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mama Rides Shotgun

Holly
The setting is the historical Cracker Trail ride from east to west Florida. So I'm thinking a bunch of wasps on horses and she is calling it the Cracker Trail? Really? Well it is a real cattle trail ride and it is called the Cracker Trail because of the sound of the whips cracking over the cattle. So this is the #2 book in the Mace Bauer series. Mama is getting ready for marriage #5 and she and Mace are getting a little bonding time before the wedding. Mama discovers a dead body. Lawton Bramble ...more
Nell
May 06, 2012 Nell rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Enjoyed this story though it's more about relationships than mystery. In that respect, it reminded me of The No. #1 Ladies Detective Agency. Though seemingly dissimilar, they both vivdly convey their setting and focus on the characters' relationships.

A wealthy rancher dies at the beginning of the tale and Mace, the main character, suspects foul play, but there's no evidence to support her suspicion. I love Mace - she's strong, self-sufficient, more at home with animals and nature than with peopl
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
An excellent read - but I have a beef. The last book (Mama Does Time), ends with Mace saying she'd had gone on "a date" with Carlos, but that he had needed to move back to Miami to sort things out. A. Date. At the beginning of this book, it's all about how they'd had a full-on relationship and he'd broken it off to move back to Miami. I hate when author's re-invent their character's histories like that. Drives me nuts.

Not that that's off my chest - I'm loving this series so far. As a fourth gene
Gramy
This is the second Mace Bauer mystery. The setting is in central Florida and features a family of four women. Mama, the drama queen, is engaged to her fifth beau. Maddie, the oldest daughter, is married and works as a middle school principal. Mace, the middle daughter, is a single woman more comfortable with animals than people and works outdoors with animals . Marty, the youngest daughter, is married and works as a librarian.

Lawton Bramble, one of the ranchers who allowed the riders to camp on
Vickie
What a GORGEOUS cover!! I want a fast convertible Thunderbird in this shade of turquoise! Or a silk blouse....which is probably more what I can actually afford...or cowboy boots....oooooh.....

Love love love this series!! Mama just cracks me up and Mace does the best she can with what's given her, especially where Mama is concerned. Mama means well and only wants Mace to be happy...but what she thinks will make Mace happy is pretty much different from what Mace thinks.

Mama and Mace go on the ann
Spuddie
#2 Mace Bauer mystery, set in central Florida. Mace and her Mama are trying to do a little bonding by camping and riding the 120-mile Cracker Trail--the week-long ride and educational trek celebrating the ways of the old-time Florida cattlemen. On the first day of the ride, Lawton Bramble, one of the ranchers who was allowing them to camp on his land and providing vats of his famous Cow Hunter Chili, dies.

His much-younger wife comes upon him as he was presumably stirring up his chili and had a
Kerry Cerra
Book 2 in the Mace Bauer mystery series is just as much fun as the first. This time, we join Mama on her ride across Florida's old Cracker Trail. This book is a fast read that will keep you laughing all the way through. I can't wait to finish the series. I especially enjoy reading them in between my more serious books. I'd say these are great for fans of Janet Evanovich.
Susan
Preparing for her fifth marriage, Mama decides she and middle daughter Mace should bond by riding the Cracker trail, a multi-day trip across width of Florida that celebrates historic cattlemen. When the two women find the dead body of a prominent rancher, Mace is suspicious, but the general verdict is that the man had a much-anticipated heart attack. The trail riders are joined by Mace's two protective sisters, the dead man's much younger widow, her two unloving stepchildren Trey and Belle, Trey ...more
Mark Baker
Mace and Mama are taking a trip on the historic Florida Cracker Trail, living (almost) as the cowboys did centuries ago. But when one of Mama's high school boyfriends is murdered when the group stops at his ranch, danger seems to be stalking Mace and her family.

I enjoyed this light mystery and am wondering why I didn't get back to this series sooner. The characters are charming and Mace shows some real growth here. The plot could have been a bit better developed, but the book was always entertai
Sara
Laughed my way through another fast-reading Mace Bauer mystery and learned a little Florida history along the way.
Angie J.
These are light and funny
Victoria Allman
Don't tell Carl Hiaasen, but Mama has quickly become my favorite Florida character. Deborah Sharp's second book places Mama on a six-day cattle ride with her daughters. When an ex-beau suddenly dies the mis-adventure of being around Mama ensues. I LOVE that this is set far away from the beaches and neon of Miami, in rural Florida. The fictional town of Himmarshee is a side of Florida that people should read about.

This is a great read that will have you picking up the next book in the series, Ma
Sandy
I thought this second in the series was much better than the first book. This book has the same set of characters and they stay true to their personas in the first book but more developed. Not sure if there really is a Cracker Trail but the thought is plausible. Seemed a bit far fetched for Mace's mother to be riding a horse for days on end, but I suppose it could happen.

I do like the amount of dialog and the fast pace of the book! A good quick read. Will read more of Deborah Sharp.
Lizm
"Momma Rides Shotgun" is the second in Deborah Sharp's humorous series that began with "Momma Does Time". Many of the same characters return again including Mace's sisters, Momma,Sal (now engaged to Momma). The setting is the historical Cracker Trail ride from east to west Florida. This time Momma is determined to help poor single Mace acquire a beau, no matter how many dead bodies they find. Mace is a very determined sleuth. Ms. Sharp keeps you laughing and guessing.
Kim
I am loving this little series!
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
This book is very hard to exclaim over without creating any spoilers. So, I was thrilled and held my breath on pages 107-109, then I was shocked on pages 130-131. Surprised by pages 150-155 and on and on it went. This was an amazing book.

I read it in one sitting and was sad when I came to the ending. I felt fulfilled by the ending though.

Laughs, tears, suspense it was all present.

This is what a book should be about.
Kate
Lots of fun, but...

I didn't like some of the anti-feminist messages being sent. I think they were intended to be contradicted and wrapped up at the end, but it wasn't as complete as I would've liked (can't really explain better without spoilers).

I will get the next one, though. I have my fingers crossed.
Great summer read! Chick lit/accidental private eye tale about a nostalgic trip across Florida on horseback. A landowner ends up dead and Mace thinks it might be murder. Is it his ex-best friend? His young wife after his money? Or one of his kids wanting their inheritance?
Lisa Bork
Mace and her mama join a week-long camping and riding trip along Florida's Cracker Trail, only to solve the murder of a wealthy rancher along the way. Loved the LOL interaction between Mace, her mama, and her sisters as well as the insight into Florida's cattle drive history.
Amber Adamchuk
I just love Mace and her family! They sure do know how to get into some messes! I love the southern slang, the great humor, and the mystery these books bring to the table. Make me want to go on the next cracker trail. Minus the snakes in the jacket/ and guns :)
Gerry
I enjoyed this and yet it raised some questions. It felt like it contradicted some things we found out in the first novel "Mama Does Time"

I grew up in Florida but never heard of the Cracker ride. I learned what a "cracker" is. I never knew this either.

Fun read.
Jill
It was an enjoyable read, and I learned a bit about cow wrangling. Her characters are once again pretty well-developed and enjoyable.
Vicky
Pretty good book. A little far-fetched with the family of the murder victim going for the week long ride though.
Kim
Did not meet my expectations for the second book in the series. Will probably not read any more.
Caroline
Jun 01, 2010 Caroline rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Deborah Sharp writes a witty, entertaining book and the Mace Bauer series is great.
Christine Jensen
A fun cozy. Second in the series. A little bit racier than some cozies, but not too bad.
Alex
Again, my all-time favorite series and this is just as great as the first one.
Lucy Guerra
Her books are entertaining with the murder thrill.
Peg
This was a light funny mystery. Very enjoyable.
Vicky Beltz
Fun characters, humor, and a cattle drive.
  • Elvis and the Dearly Departed (A Southern Cousins Mystery, #1)
  • Ghost in the Polka Dot Bikini (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #2)
  • Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1)
  • Mischief in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #2)
  • Death, Taxes, and a French Manicure (Tara Holloway, #1)
  • The Naked Detective
  • Absolutely, Positively (Lucy Valentine, #3)
  • Spackled and Spooked (A Do-It-Yourself Mystery, #2)
  • Murder with Reservations (Dead-End Job Mystery, #6)
  • A House to Die For (Darby Farr, #1)
  • Death at the Alma Mater (A St. Just Mystery #3)
  • Jamaica Me Dead
  • Fatally Frosted (Donut Shop Mystery, #2)
  • Unplugged (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery #2)
  • Dearly Depotted (A Flower Shop Mystery, #3)
  • Artifacts (Faye Longchamp, #1)
  • To Hell in a Handbasket (Claire Hanover, Gift Basket Designer, #2)
  • Murder Makes Waves (Southern Sisters Mystery, #4)
Like the main character in her funny, Southern-flavored mysteries, Deborah's roots were set in Florida long before Disney and ''Miami Vice.'' A native and former reporter for USA Today, she knows spots not found on maps: Molasses Junction. Muse. And now, Himmarshee, her own slice of Authentic Florida.
It's the setting for her Mace Bauer Mysteries, featuring Mace's wacky ''Mama.'' To create it, Deb
More about Deborah Sharp...
Mama Does Time (A Mace Bauer Mystery #1) Mama Gets Hitched (A Mace Bauer Mystery #3) Mama Sees Stars (A Mace Bauer Mystery #4) Mama Gets Trashed (A Mace Bauer Mystery, #5) Murder at the Painted Lady