Start by marking “Pacific Beat” as Want to Read:
Pacific Beat

Pacific Beat

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  398 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Ex-cop Jim Weir thought he'd seen it all during his years on the force. That is until he saw the body of his sister Annie, brutally used by a monster in human form, then carelessly discarded. He'd never seen such grief ravage the face of his friend and brother-in-law Ray Cruz, a good cop on the Newport Beach Police Department. When Weir learns that the only witness swore t ...more
Published May 15th 1992 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Pacific Beat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pacific Beat

Roger
When I started T. Jefferson Parker's Pacific Beat, I knew what I was going to get: a tightly written story with believable characters with whom I can always find something to identify, a convoluted plot so carefully wrought and deftly foreshadowed that my forehead will be sore from slapping when I get done reading (you know, those moments when you realize, "jeez, I should have known that, I should have seen that coming"), and an environment so real that, if you should happen to visit it one day, ...more
Marca
A complicated mystery – lots of threads, but still kept me engaged. Jim Weir, a former law-enforcement officer, returns to his home in Newport Beach after treasure-hunting and imprisonment in Mexico. Shortly after, his 40-year-old sister Ann is brutally murdered. Naturally, Jim gets involved in the search for her killer, along with Ann’s police officer widower. Local politics and preservation vs development also play a big part. Parts of the narrative are told via Ann’s diaries, which actually r ...more
Jen
Pacific Beat has former Sheriff's officer, Jim Weir, returning to Newport Beach from an imprisonment in Mexico. He learns his sister is pregnant, but then she is immediately murdered in a most gruesome manner. Jim and his best friend/brother-in-law, Raymond, set out to find who committed this atrocity.

For me, this was one of those books that was hard to put down at night. The characters and plot just pulled you in and made you part of the story.

Jim is a very complex character; he has strong ti
Valerie
I enjoyed this 1991 thriller by T. Jefferson Parker immensely. It is a complicated story regarding the "progress" coming to the city of Newport Beach, as well as the story of a complicated and dysfunctional family, as well as a murder mystery.

Jim Weir returns to the city where he once lived after being in the salvage business for a few years. During this time, his sister Ann is murdered. She was married to a sheriff's deputy, whon is also a friend of Jim's, Raymond Cruz, and the couple had been
Marleen
I’ve become very fond of T. Jefferson Parker books and always look forward to dive into his atmospheric crime stories. Although I found Pacific Beat (1992) well-written and presenting us with moody and genuine characters, I still had a hard time embracing the whole reading experience. To my personal tastes, the plot moved way too slow. It felt like the story dragged on forever, and it all felt rather depressing. There are times that reading about deceit and cheating spouses depress me, or readin ...more
Mary
I liked the characters, and liked that I did not know what was going to happen. Now on to the next in line, which is Summer of Fear.
Tim
TJP is always reliable.
Darrell
Wonderful mystery that centers around the death of a young woman that had a mysterious hidden life. When Ann's brother returns from his own adventures in Mexico he discovers that there has been a lot going on with his family and friends. The day after he returns his sister is killed and as he helps investigate he discovers that his sister was involved in a whole other life. It is a fast paced mystery that has many twists and turns. Also, just as a personal note, I really enjoy the setting of Sou ...more
DP Lyle
An excellent story by a great writer. Somehow I missed this one when it came out but glad I found it. Loved the OC setting (since I live there), the characters, and of course the wonderful writing. Nothing is as it seems and only after reaching the final pages do all the personal and political intrigues come together. Don't miss this one.

DP Lyle, Award-winning author of the Samantha Cody and Dub Walker thriller series
Val Wilkerson
I am a fan of T. Jefferson Parker...started out because I grew up on Laguna Beach and he writes about my old turf....after this book I am a fan because he is such a great writer!!! The end of the book blew me away, that the author, a man, wrote the final chapter in Ann's journal was incredible, because he wrote that journal entry from the heart & soul of a woman. It was fantastic. Looking forward to your next book.
Mary Schildman
Fantastic mystery

The book is wordy but great story. Lots of twists, really good characters but I think the ending left a few open questions. The murder and murderer solved, the BIG mystery around it solved but you want to know what happened to Proposition A !
Jim A
One of Parker's earlier murder mysteries, with some very well done twists.

For my part, I much prefer his earlier works. It seems back then he was writing for the fun of it more than just pumping the books out for a paycheck. But, as I stated, that's just my opinion.

Carol
A good 4 and 1/2 stars. Parker knows how to write a mystery. A few oh my moments and about the time you think you know where he is going with the story, he changes everything.. Then it's a WOW moment..This was only the third book he'd written but felt more like a seasoned pro at the top of his game...We meet Jim Weir an ex-cop turned ocean treasure hunter and his friend/brother-in-law,Ray Cruz a cop with the Newport Beach police. Ray's wife, Jim's sister has gone missing...Parker takes us into t ...more
Cheryl Gill
Another great mystery by T. Jeff Parker. I just love his novels, especially the early ones because they mostly took place in Orange County, CA with familiar places and names. Hooray for an Orange County boy who has done well.
Elaine Frazier
Very well-written book.

Enough mystery to keep me guessing, and written so that I just wanted more. I definitely will read any of this author's books. Well done!!!
Phyllis
Another in the long line of crime novels, although it's not a series. Author Parker manages to change characters for each book, but the narrator or point of view (so far -- I've read 4 so far) is always a man. And so far all have taken place in Orange County; the author lives in Laguna Canyon. This one is sited in Newport Beach(Balboa also figures into it, Anita!), and one of the main characters is a Newport Beach police lieutenant, whose wife has been murdered. The narrator is his former detect ...more
Marti
There are lots of twists and turns in this mystery story, and it is rather lengthy. The questions are; who killed Annie Cruz, and why? Jim Weir is her brother, and her husband's best friend, and he is investigating. He had been a police officer, but gave that up to dive for buried treasure. Can he figure it out? There are lots of leads to follow. This is quite entertaining, though somewhat frustrating at times.
LP
Parts of it were kind of annoying (I'm thinking especially of Ann's diary, or maybe Ann was meant to be an annoying character and so I would naturally find her diary to be the same), parts of it were predictable; but overall it was an effective, well-written crime story with mostly realistic characters and evocative descriptions of Newport Beach and environs.
Carolyn (in SC) C234D
I have enjoyed another book by this writer, but for some reason this one did not really appeal to me. Since I read it more than six years ago, the story is not fresh in my mind. What I noted at the time was "OK, but...not totally satisfied with the results." I thought it was too long, and I got tired of the long journal entries.
Raven
I have just gotten into reading more mystery/suspense novels. My husband always complains I ruin the endings of things because I figure it out and tell him how I think movies will end. It happens with books too. I liked being thrown for a loop. It really is a good read.
Shawn
I like T. Jefferson Parker books because he writes about a geographical area which I find interesting. The author lives in Laguna Beach so maybe I'll run into him out swimming in the Pacific some time soon.
Sarah Jowett
I either love or cannot get in to his books... this one really grabbed my from the beginning but kind of lost steam toward the end. Maybe because I couldn't read very much at a time but it's not bad.
Mamma23
Personal drama includes great characters, imperfect and real as they are.

The crime part is good too, and as all of T Jeff book, I love the Southern California locales.
Pat Lampe
Listened to the audio version. About murder, infidelity, and politics in Newport Beach - written before cell phones so a little dated, but good nonetheless.
Melissa Fowler
Good story but a little draggy. Characters become confusing because the author switches between first and last names.
P.e.
Liked the story and characters. Just started off kind of slow for me. I also liked the setting where the story took place.
Barbara
This is one of my very favorite novels by one of my very favorite crime novelists. I'm reading it again.
Sheldon Lehman
It got better as it went along. There were enough twists and turns to keep you guessing.
  • Visibility
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • Death in Dublin (Peter McGarr, #16)
  • The Redeemers (Quinn Colson, #5)
  • Cut to Black (DI Joe Faraday, #5)
  • The Art of Deception (Boldt/Matthews, #8)
  • Bad Traffic: An Inspector Jian Novel
  • A Walk Through the Fire
  • Mystery Writers of America Presents The Blue Religion: New Stories about Cops, Criminals, and the Chase
  • Welcome to Stalk Lake City (Rhea Jensen, #2)
  • Scandal in the Secret City: A World War Two Mystery Set in Tennessee
  • Taking Pity (Aector McAvoy, #4)
  • The Devil's Puzzle (Someday Quilts Mystery, #4)
  • The Devil (Jack Taylor, #8)
  • A Thousand Bones (Louis Kincaid, #8)
  • Night of the Jaguar (Jimmy Paz, #3)
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • Sprinkled (Lacey Luzzi Mafia Mysteries #1)
T. Jefferson Parker is the bestselling author of 20 crime novels, including Edgar Award-winners Silent Joe and California Girl. Parker's next work is a literary novel, Full Measure, to be published in October. He lives with his family in Southern California
More about T. Jefferson Parker...
L.A. Outlaws (Charlie Hood, #1) Silent Joe California Girl The Blue Hour The Fallen