Start by marking “Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C” as Want to Read:
Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C

Applied Cryptography: Protocols, Algorithms, and Source Code in C

4.18 of 5 stars 4.18  ·  rating details  ·  986 ratings  ·  29 reviews
." . .the best introduction to cryptography I've ever seen. . . . The book the National Security Agency wanted never to be published. . . ." -Wired Magazine
." . .monumental . . . fascinating . . . comprehensive . . . the definitive work on cryptography for computer programmers . . ." -Dr. Dobb's Journal
." . .easily ranks as one of the most authoritative in its field." -P...more
Paperback, Second Edition, 784 pages
Published November 1st 1995 by John Wiley & Sons (first published November 10th 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Applied Cryptography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Applied Cryptography

Koen Crolla
Getting hold of a copy of Applied Cryptography took some effort (maybe the crypto export controls it makes such a big deal about have something to do with it, but incompetence is more likely to blame), but it's everything I expected it to be: a rock-solid book about cryptography as she is practised, with enough theoretical background to be relevant and links to an endless amount more.

However, the first edition of this book came out in 1994, and this second edition in 1996, and that's a long time...more
Jeff Yoak
This is a classic, foundational book in cryptography. It helped me along quite a bit early in my career.
Gil
If you need to write encryption applications, or, want to understand how encryption works, see the math, algorithms, source code so you can analyze in your favourite debugger, then this book is for you. Schneier is a master of Cryptography and doesn't disappoint.
However, be aware that a certain level of understanding is required to navigate through the content.
Happy computing!
Maurizio Codogno
621 pagine di libro (listati esclusi, che tanto non è che vengano letti), ben densi. Non è certo una lettura di quelle da farsi prima di andare a dormire, a meno che non si soffra di insonnia forte e si cerchi qualcosa di veramente efficace.
Però il libro merita di essere letto da cima a fondo, e non solo usato come testo di riferimento: perché oltre ad avere una panoramica di tutti i metodi noti di crittografia e dei problemi relativi si ha anche una trattazione delle debolezze dei vari metodi,...more
Nelson Minar
What a wonderful book! I studied some crypto in college (public key and zero knowledge proofs) and found the field almost incomprehensible: lots of very specific number theories, very little overview information. Applied Cryptography fills this vital gap very successfully, going from completely introductory information to some fairly specific details on particular systems. The 2000 or so references in the back are great when you need to follow up on particular details. It's good this book was pu...more
Zeeshan
This is the mother of all cryptographic books ever published, explaining each & every encryption algorithm EVER designed on this planet. Its an exhaustive list of algorithms, explaining each in detail, with their strengths and weaknesses, in a practical manner. The book is highly mathematical, and security people who deal only with codes and networks might have difficulties in the esoteric level of maths involved. All in All, Applied Cryptography is a great book, a must have on every securit...more
Sean
For its time, it was amazing, not just for the subject matter but the clarity of its explanation. For me, it helped me understand a lot of the mathematical background and the pitfalls. I think he was already beginning to focus on the security implications of protocols over cryptographic implementation and the combination of the two subjects is powerful. Yes, a lot is dated, but the same mistakes keep being made. Learn from it and then find a more current text for implementations.
Kyle The Hacker
While a classic, this book is beginning to show its age. It provides a solid overview of the fundamentals. However, it fails to cover many modern algorithms (such as Rjindael); this is, of course, no fault of the authors as these algorithms weren't published until after the book went to press.

This book is good for explaining how the protocols and algorithms work, but it isn't nearly as useful for those looking to understand the practical side of cryptography.
Colin Jones
Lots of detail on algorithms that are now out of date, but the opening chapters on crypto protocols were terrific. By far the largest bibliography I recall seeing - over 1500 entries. I'd recommend Practical Cryptography (or its later edition, Cryptography Engineering) above this one, even though (and partially *because*) it lacks the level of implementation / algorithm detail here.
Cameron
This is an excellent book on all the mainstream and not so mainstream encryption algorithms(as of several years ago). It does not include the new AES, or recent issues with md5, but Schneier has given some recommendations/predictions in this book that are in line with recent news.

I would have given this 5 start, but it is several years old, and needs to be updated.
Rakesh
I instantly had bought this one after I heard a lot from Internet sources about Bruce and his work. I have only skimmed through the book; looks good as an introductory text. Bruce Schneier is well known for his contributions in the field of cryptography and computer security; his ideas and writings have ignited many minds. I hope this one does good too. :)
kislam
Contains both an excellent introduction to information security and the cryptographic problem as well as detailing implementations for many algorithms. Includes a section on real world case studies, but given the book's age, those should be taken with a grain of salt and a heavy dose of research.
Jon Britton
He deliberately wrote this around the same time as "The Handbook of Applied Cryptography", the seminal work that redefined cryptonalysis, with a manipulative title. It's more of a high level, "here's what a cypher is" description, rather than an actual course in algorithm design or C code.
Jeremy Brooks
Apr 23, 2009 Jeremy Brooks rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: software engineers, developers, technology people
If you want to understand or work with cryptography, this is The Book to read. The concepts are presented clearly and the examples are easy to understand.

This is a good introduction to cryptography, and a good reference work as well. You will use this book over and over again.
Kenneth Finnegan
This book badly suffers from being more than 10 years old in a field that is such a moving target. Only reason not a 5. I'd hope for a third edition, but this book will always be out of date by the time it goes to press.
Robert
This is THE cryptography book to study/read/consume...

If you are involved with cryptography in any way and haven't read this book then you are really missing out (as well as acting foolishly).

This is a must read!
Peter Voorhees
I was very impressed with how approachable Mr. Schneier makes cryptographic operations and protocols. This book is HIGHLY useful for understanding the fundamentals of all the described protocols.
James
May 09, 2007 James added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: geeks of the hardest kind
I learned all kinds of neat math in here. I highly recommend this to anyone interested in crypto. It's the bible of hiding information.
Michael Brady
I won't pretend I understood any of the math, but the historical and conceptual details were excellent.
John
The algorithms section is particularly cool, e.g. how to implement secure voting or secure poker on-line.
Hesham Magdy
the bible of cryptography :)
along with the handbook of applied cryptography i think
Will
Really excellent. On par with any classic manual of computer science.
Alfred
A seminal work and useful reference when writing secure code.
Sachin
Jan 02, 2009 Sachin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Will read it some time... Don't know when.
Allwin
Buku bagus untuk pembahasan kriptografi :)
Nasir
this book is like an encyclopedia of cryptography
Matt
Very cool. Full of algorithms and explanations.
Dave Peticolas
Schneier's Big Book of Codes. Daunting.
  • The Protocols (TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1)
  • Reversing: Secrets of Reverse Engineering
  • Introduction to the Theory of Computation
  • Purely Functional Data Structures
  • Concepts, Techniques, and Models of Computer Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Secrets and Lies: Digital Security in a Networked World Liars and Outliers: Enabling the Trust that Society Needs to Thrive Beyond Fear: Thinking Sensibly about Security in an Uncertain World Schneier on Security Schneier's Cryptography Classics Library: Applied Cryptography, Secrets and Lies, and Practical Cryptography

“Even after the aliens from Andromeda land with their massive spaceships and undreamed-of computing power, they will not be able to read the Soviet spy messages encrypted with one-time pads (unless they can also go back in time and get the one-time pads).” 0 likes
“Something that looks like a protocol but does not accomplish a task is not a protocol—it’s a waste of time.” 0 likes