Start by marking “Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen Cookbook: 100+ Great Recipes with Foolproof Instructions” as Want to Read:

Taking the mystery out of meal preparation, this book of more than 100 recipes will appeal to all those who have great expectations but little cooking ability, patience, time, money or kitchen equipment.
Published February 15th 1996 by Houghton Mifflin

To ask other readers questions about Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Help! My Apartment Has a Kitchen Cookbook

Nicholas Hunter
Jun 26, 2012 Nicholas Hunter rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking
Probably the first cookbook I ever bought. Useful for those wishing to start eating at home instead of blowing all their money at fast food restaurants. The recipes emphasize ease of preparation and a minimum of cookware. A good first cookery book, but one that ought to be followed up quickly by How To Cook Everything or The Joy Of Cooking.
Trina Dubya
Jan 29, 2016 Trina Dubya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I found this at a used book shop over fifteen years ago. I knew some family recipes already, and I was good baking cakes and cookies, but I didn't really know what tools I would need or what ingredients I would use a lot. Some of my favorite recipes are in here, and I keep post-it tabs on those pages. (After fifteen years, my copy just opens to the Cheddar Potato Soup page.) I like that most of the recipes make four or fewer servings, since I rarely cook for anyone but myself; leftovers are grea ...more
Ashley Rose
Mar 01, 2012 Ashley Rose rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: College students spending their first year living off campus. Great Gift Idea!
I received this cook book as a Christmas gift from my little sister the year before I moved out of the dorms. Growing up I didn't cook. As a kid my Mom cooked, and then my sister (who is now a certified chef) took over as a teen, so I never had a reason to learn to cook prior to living on my own.

There are several things I love about this cookbook.

1. All the recipes are varying levels of easy: Very Easy, Easy and Not So Easy

2. If the author messed something up the first time he made the recipe
Katie Boston
Nov 29, 2013 Katie Boston rated it it was amazing
I received this book as a gift many years ago when I was a teenager living alone. It was my culinary bible, from recipes to the suggested shopping list to the helpful hints. I learned all the things that everyone seems to magically know even though nobody ever tells you. My dad did the cooking when I was a kid and my parents retired to a faraway state when I was 18, leaving me in a tiny one bedroom apartment with an itty-bitty kitchen, very few utensils and even fewer skills. I learned the basic ...more
Julie Barrett
May 20, 2015 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it
Help my Apartment has a Kitchen cookbook
Great cookbook for one whose always relied on their mother to make dinner and now they have moved out of the house and are on their own.
Lots of mother tips are included and most of the recipes are very easy to make. Lots of useful information about how to do things, utensils and pots and pans you will need.
Funny inserts from the college guy along the way. No nutritional information but lots of recipes and how to make them..
I received this book from Nation
Cheryl Villars
Jul 26, 2012 Cheryl Villars rated it really liked it
This book was gifted to me by my own mother who I'm sure was scared to death when I moved out on my own. I'm sure she was feeling guilty once she realized she had failed to teach me how to cook or even how to boil an egg. This book practically saved my life. It is super easy to follow (even for those who don't read directions very well - just sayin'!) and I still use it to cook easy/good food! I would recommend it to anyone and everyone! Unless you are already a Martha Stewart kind... then it wo ...more
Kurt
Jul 23, 2011 Kurt rated it liked it
This book is great for beginners - simple recipes, helpful and thorough explanations. I was disappointed in the sweet and sour chicken recipe (the recipe recommends adding a little flour to thicken the sauce, but it doesn't offer the technique advice necessary to avoid clumps of flour floating in a weak sauce), but the others have potential.
Tabitha
Apr 12, 2011 Tabitha rated it really liked it
I've had this book for a really -really- long time. Its always a nice go to when I'm out of ideas.
It may not be the single most technically advanced cookbook on the planet, but what it lacks in crazy techniques it more than makes up for in humor and sturdy, tasty recipes.
The Badger
The book itself seems fine. But considering it took me 1 1/2 years to notice that I had a dishwasher (and only because someone else pointed it out), there's a reason I haven't actually MADE and of the dishes in this book.
Stephanie
Sep 02, 2010 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite cookbook from when I first got my own apartment. Not all the recipes were fantastic (the Mediterranean soup in particular disappointed) but they told me what to do as well as why I should do it that way. Great for beginning cooks who made it through college on ramen or takeout!
Julia
Oct 19, 2007 Julia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people moving out on their own for the first time
Shelves: wishlist, cook-books
This was an awesome, practical, beginner's cook book. Great, healthy recipes (the Spicy Chinese Pork is one of our standard meals even today), down-to-earth instructional tone for those kitchen novices.

Too bad I burned my copy on the stove :( ....
Ted94597
May 03, 2008 Ted94597 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
My first cookbook when I moved out of my parents house. Great tips, lots of recipes laid out simply.
Karen
Feb 05, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing
Bought this for my teen who is culinarily challenged I love the book very basic and easy too follow
Shannon Lane
Oct 10, 2007 Shannon Lane rated it it was amazing
Gayle gave me this and I have used it more than any other single thing in my apartment that's not a bed!
Deena
Aug 14, 2007 Deena rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all but the most snobby of cooks.
really useful, even for someone who is comfortable in the kitchen. recipes are categorized by very easy/ easy/ not so easy. i still use the recipes for brownies and caribbean jerk.
Kim Sanders
Jul 18, 2012 Kim Sanders rated it really liked it
My husband bought this book to help with his cooking prowess, or lack thereof. The recipes are rated and organized by difficult level. A good gift for a first-time cook.
Andrea
Jul 29, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: novices in the kitchen
There's some really easy and basic recipes that even people who are idiots in the kitchen (me) can master. There are tips from mom and also a system to rank the difficulty of the recipe.
Joe
Joe rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2008
Meghan McCabe
Meghan McCabe rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2007
Jan
Jan rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2015
Karyn Mcneal
Karyn Mcneal rated it it was amazing
Jan 22, 2014
Allie
Allie rated it really liked it
Aug 07, 2009
Rica
Rica rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2011
Stan Bobbitt
Stan Bobbitt rated it it was ok
Feb 17, 2016
Crse
Crse rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2015
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Amie
Amie rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2012
Tina
Tina rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2010
Sarah rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
  • The Nancy Drew Cookbook: Clues to Good Cooking (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #0)
  • The Giant and How He Humbugged America
  • Unusual Creatures: A Mostly Accurate Account of Some of Earth's Strangest Animals
  • Off-Topic: The Story of an Internet Revolt
  • The Last Human: A Guide to Twenty-Two Species of Extinct Humans
  • America's Best Lost Recipes
  • Man, Oh Man!  Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
  • Monsters: An Investigator's Guide to Magical Beings
  • Fantasy Encyclopedia
  • The Meaning Of Life
  • Going Solo in the Kitchen
  • Cooking for Two: More Than 200 Foolproof Recipes for Weeknights and Special Occasions
  • Veiled Sentiments: Honor and Poetry in a Bedouin Society (updated with a new preface)
  • Best-Loved Slow Cooker Recipes (Crock-Pot)
  • Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds
  • Codes of the Underworld: How Criminals Communicate
  • Healthy Cooking for Two (or Just You): Low-Fat Recipes with Half the Fuss and Double the Taste
  • Writers on Writing, Volume II: More Collected Essays from The New York Times