Start by marking “Python Pocket Reference” as Want to Read:
Python Pocket Reference

Python Pocket Reference

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  221 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Python is a popular object-oriented scripting language that is freely available over the Net. It's portable, powerful, and remarkably easy to use. Python is commonly used for both stand-alone programs and scripting applications, in a wide variety of domains.

This book is a companion volume to two O'Reilly Animal Guides, Programming Python and Learning Python. It summarizes
Published November 8th 1998 by O'Reilly Media (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Python Pocket Reference, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Python Pocket Reference

Russel
This book has been war-torn by me over the last couple of years as Python is my favourite scripting language which I use on a pretty well daily basis. I love going through this book over and over again learning more and more oddities and pecularities of the language, striving to always be more and more pythonic.
Kent
I like this book, find it handy -- but why, oh why, would you make a book called a reference and not make it ridiculously easy to find stuff? The page layout is awful and the headings are incredibly weak.
Kim
I'm a pretty concrete thinker and tend to take things literally. While this is a good reference for confirming syntax, etc., the language used in some of the explanations has an abstractness to it that I found difficult. Where the information itself could have been formated to demonstrate or reiterate the explanation, it often isn't.

'''This is a multiline block'''

... is written on a single line. I reread it more than once because I thought maybe I was misinterpreting. I would've immediately been
Barry
Useful when doing quick Python searches - I program offline sometimes, and this comes in handy.
Supakorn Suttiruang
I tried pretty hard to get this bad boy.
A must-own for Python programmers.
Sergey Kochergan
hard to follow the logic of this book. would not recommend it to those, who learn python language. Don't waste your time.
Kory
This has already become a great reference to use for me, easier to use this than Python's documentaion, which is a pain to use when trying to find even simple things because it is terribly organized or at least to me it is.
Zachary
Python is a very easy language to learn, but has several constructs and functions that don't seem too well-thought-out.
Spencer
The back cover text is the best of this book. Useful, not great.
Todd
A must have for any python programmer.
Jennifer James
Jennifer James marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
Samuel Livingstone
Samuel Livingstone marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Alok Reddy
Alok Reddy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Thomas
Thomas added it
May 09, 2015
Paweł Henek
Paweł Henek marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Preston
Preston is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Corneliu Suciu
Corneliu Suciu marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Yassine Bajdou
Yassine Bajdou marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Sergey
Sergey marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Nima Ghafoori
Nima Ghafoori is currently reading it
Apr 10, 2015
Nikhil Vasani
Nikhil Vasani is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Veronica Verano
Veronica Verano marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • Python in a Nutshell
  • SQL Pocket Guide
  • The Quick Python Book
  • Essential System Administration
  • CSS Pocket Reference
  • JavaScript Pocket Reference
  • C: A Reference Manual
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Core Python Programming
  • Practical C++ Programming
  • Mastering Regular Expressions
  • The New Turing Omnibus: 66 Excursions In Computer Science

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Mark Lutz is the world leader in Python training, the author of Python's earliest and best-selling texts, and a pioneering figure in the Python community.

Mark is the author of the popular O'Reilly books Programming Python, Python Pocket Reference, and Learning Python, all currently in 4th Editions. He has been using and promoting Python since 1992, started writing Python books in 1995, and began t
More about Mark Lutz...
Learning Python Programming Python Unpoverty: Rich Lessons from the Working Poor What Is Wrong with People?! Python kurz & gut