Start by marking “The Giant Hug” as Want to Read:
The Giant Hug

The Giant Hug

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  219 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
How do you give your granny a hug when she lives far away? Send it through the mail, of course!

Owen’s hug travels across the country in a series of hilarious, sometimes awkward, always heartfelt embraces between animals of different shapes and sizes. Valeri Gorbachev’s adorable artwork pairs beautifully with Sandra Horning’s charming text, and makes for a fun, funny, and
Published September 9th 2008 by Dragonfly Books (first published January 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Giant Hug, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Giant Hug

Alyce Dougan
Apr 28, 2011 Alyce Dougan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, family
I loved this book. Pig sends his Grandma a hug through the mail for her birthday. Throughout the story it shows the hug being passed along. When Grandma gets it guess what she sends back! A kiss! At the end of the story you see pig with red lip stick on his cheek. The storyline in this book was charming and sweet. I liked how the story talked about the process of how mail is sent. Teacher and parents could read this story to their child before letting a child write a letter.
Kate Copeseeley
Jan 21, 2014 Kate Copeseeley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was adorable and it even made me tear up in the end. Simply delightful.
Keeko
May 14, 2013 Keeko rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is everything a children's book should be. I love the good heartedness and sweet humor of it, and I admire the author and illustrator for creating such a nice story without being sappy. I guess that means they are both kind and talented. I found this by chance on display at the library, and I'm going to look for more of their books. This one's a treasure.
Jun 09, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This is so darn cute! A boy wants to send a REAL hug to his grandmother through the mail. So, as the envelope makes its way through the various stages in the system, the hug is transferred from person to person. Each hug brightens someone's day. Great concept, charming illustrations.
Erin
Aug 26, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book! Oh, my! As a kid's book, it's great. A little piglet wants to send his granny a big hug for her birthday. He gives one to the postman who gives a hug to the sorter who gives a hug to the delivery truck guy who gives a hug to the plane pilot and on and on until it gets to granny. Cute, right? Unless you're thinking about it as an adult. Sexual harassment at work but not, because it's for a piglet and granny. It gets even more risque when Granny sends a big, fat kiss back to him!

Good fo
William Herschel
Owen wants to send a hug to his grandmother, so when he and his mother get to the post office he hugs the "person" behind the counter and this produces a chain reaction-- he giving the hug (by hugging) the mail sorter, and so on and so on until it gets to granny.

The reason "person" is in quotations is because in the pictures, all of the characters are different animals. I liked the pictures. I liked how it shows you how many people are involved in delivering something as simple as a letter (or i
Omar Guzman
Jul 01, 2014 Omar Guzman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this story is very nice, because this pig travels all across the world just to give his grandmother a big hug for her birthday. It's always good to go out or go outside the box for your grandparents. They've done so much for you when your parents are out. they take care of you as well.This is at really nice pig for all the things he had done for his grandma. This big book has soft water color sketches for the illustrations.
Jenna Arntz
Sep 22, 2015 Jenna Arntz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This was an adorable book. The little pig wanted to send his granny a big hug for her birthday. So he went to the post office and mailed his hug. The hug was passed on to many people until it finally reached granny. I think think that kindergarten and first grade students would really enjoy this story. Also, the illustrations in this book are wonderful.
Arionne Mccray
I think this story is very cute, because this pig travels all across the world just to give his grandma a big hug for her birthday. its always good to go out or go outside the box for your grandparents they because they've done so much for you when your parents are out. they take care of you as well.
Keyilah Lacy
Jul 02, 2014 Keyilah Lacy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is good for children under the age of 7 years old. this book is so cute I reconment this book for second graders. I like this book to be honest its about a grandson who wants to give him gramdma a big giant hug for he birthday. so he sent it all they way to her threw the mail
Victor Marquez
Jun 24, 2014 Victor Marquez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has colorful pictures it is great book. It is nice how the hug has to travel all the way to his grandma. Everybody is hugging to get the hug all the way to his grandmother that is nice. So peoples grandparents live far so its hard to give them a hug.
Christine Rocha
Jun 24, 2014 Christine Rocha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this books is great. Its about a boy named Owen and for granny's birthday he wants to give her a big hug. So big hugs go all around until it goes to granny. Its pretty adorable. Once it goes to granny she sends back a big kiss.
Mandy Scheuren
Sandra Horning tells a story many children would love. A pig by the name of Owen is asked by his mother what he would like to give his Granny for her birthday. All Owen wanted to give her was a BIG hug! He didn’t want to draw her a hug, he really wanted to give her a hug so he hugs the postman and asks him to hug his Granny. The postman tells him he will not be the one giving the mail directly to his Granny but he would pass the hug along. Throughout the story the hug is passed on to several mai ...more
Joanna Norland
Oct 03, 2015 Joanna Norland rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lovingly illustrated, warm, educational story for anyone grappling with the bittersweetness of long distance grandparents.
My interview with Sandra Horning is posted at: http://bit.ly/1WCiQd0
Kate Perry
Apr 22, 2014 Kate Perry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A little boy wants to send a hug to his grandmother for her birthday. Instead of drawing a picture of himself with his arms wide open in the card he insists that he sends the hug through the mail. He starts off by giving a giant hug to the mail clerk at his post office and asks that he pass along. The giant hug is passed along at every step of the delivery til finally it reaches Granny. I like the artwork that was done in this book because it used many different animals in all shapes, sizes and ...more
Bvlmc Buchanan Verplanck Elementary School
A boy decides to send his granny a giant hug and makes everyone’s day as it is passed through the mail service chain prior to delivery.
Sierra Watts
This is a good way to show how people can work together to make someone's wishes come true.
Rachel
I thought it got a little overly long through the middle, but a sweet book anyway.
Sara Lemonade
Cute idea, but sooo many unnecessary words and phrases, and sooo much repetition.
Jenn
Jul 19, 2014 Jenn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Not only do you see a hug mailed to Granny, you also see how a letter travels through the mail.
Tamia
Jan 07, 2016 Tamia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable. And I don't laugh out loud for any books but I did with this one.
Marguarite Markley
Sweet. Perfect holiday story. Good read aloud for preschool and kindergarten.
Claudia
Apr 12, 2014 Claudia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cute and funny. I enjoyed it!
Samantha Naud
Jan 21, 2016 Samantha Naud rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My kids loved this one.
Keithan Wilbarger
this was lowkey boring
Katie Bathke
The book The Giant Hug has really good peri-text pages. Inside the front cover is the authors note and the author kind of hints at what the story is about but doesn’t come right out and says it. Then the next inside pages have stamps on them. It gives the reader a hint that the book has to deal with something with stamps and something with hugs. Then the title page has a picture of a letter being sent to a granny from Owen Kane. It is basically telling us what the characters in the book are name ...more
Linda
This is the cutest book! A little boy pig wants to send a real hug to his Granny for her birthday, and thus begins the whole process of sending it, via the mail clerk, the sorter, the airline pilot, and so on. Each one who handles the mail is a different animal, but the process does show every step that happens to our mail. And the hugs please everyone, sending good feelings all along the route! The illustrations remind me of the Little Bear books, and there’s a fun surprise at the end.
Kristy Schwertfeger
Aw this book is so sweet. It is about a little boy wanting to send his granny a hug for her birthday. So he goes to the post office and hugs the post office worker and tells them he is sending that to his granny. The hug is sent to many different people before it gets to his granny. Then his granny sends a kiss back. I just love that people hugged each just to send a hug. so sweet.
Jamie
Jan 17, 2014 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We love this book and the idea of sending hugs to loved ones far away
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Over in the Hollow
  • My Heart Is Like a Zoo
  • A Good Day
  • Max's Words
  • Borreguita and the Coyote (Reading Rainbow Books)
  • How Much Is That Doggie in the Window?
  • A Bedtime for Bear
  • The Kiss That Missed
  • Millie Waits for the Mail
  • Good Thing You're Not an Octopus!