Start by marking “Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work” as Want to Read:
Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work

Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1,287 Ratings  ·  44 Reviews
Determine your personality using a scientifically validated method based on the work of C.G. Jung and gain insight into why others behave the way they do, and why you are the person you are.
Published September 1st 1989 by Dell (first published 1988)

mlady_rebecca
Jul 11, 2008 mlady_rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with the desire to understand other people better
Recommended to mlady_rebecca by: my boss at work
My favorite book on Myers-Briggs temperament sorting. I love the insight into what motivates and energizes different types of people. No specific type is considered "better" than another, although some combinations are more rare.

Personally, I'm an INTJ - Introvert/ iNtuitive/ Thinking/ Judging.

Introversion/ Extroversion - how you gain energy.
iNtuitive/ Sensor - how you perceive the world.
Thinking/ Feeling - how you make decisions
Judging/ Perceiving - how you organize your world.

INTJ INFJ INFJ I
Bucket
Kroeger and Thuesen write in-depth about the practical applications of the Myers-Briggs type indicator, which is based on Jungian personality types. Basically, they take a complex, philosophical subject and break it down in ways that help people apply it to their own lives and relationships. They discuss the implications of personality type in all aspects of life: work, marriage, parenting, school, etc.

For my graduate school leadership class I took the officially-facilitated test and came out wi
M
Jul 14, 2010 M rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most readable, engaging introduction to Myers' theory of type I've come across. Type Talk is to Myers-Briggs what I'm O.K., You're O.K. is to Transactional Analysis. When you finish reading it you'll have the satisfying illusion that you understand it thoroughly.
Anne
Sep 02, 2013 Anne rated it it was ok
It's definitely an introductory book -- which is a shame since I picked it up after already exploring this subject for weeks and weeks on end. That's not the book's fault though. Honestly, if it wasn't stuff that I already had a grasp on, I would have given this a higher rating.

I didn't like how the final type-descriptions in the back were extremely short. Fleshing out each type would have been a lot more interesting to read. It was pretty fragmented. Also being able to see the combination of al
February Four
Aug 26, 2013 February Four rated it liked it
I liked this for the comprehensive overview of all 16 types as well as some things on what to look for, but Typewatching is not just about people on the extremes--people who are close to the center of the spectrum between their E and I, for example, don't act like the E or I types described in the book, and it is very difficult to get at other subtle differences like that. Overall, though, this was a positive read.
Elizabeth Walls
Mar 21, 2016 Elizabeth Walls rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I mostly skimmed through this book to the parts that go into detail about my specific results, INFJ, from the MBTI. I also may have forced my significant other into taking the questionnaire and read more about how we interpret and handle situations as well as how we communicate.
Adrienna
In general, I took brief notes on my personality traits as a INTJ. I learned there are more males in this personality trait/characteristic and lines up with the fields I have done already...just one more to go and hope I do well based on this book and others in relation....
Hadrian
Watered down, but practical guide to Jungian MBTI personality types.
Sarah DiPascal
Oct 13, 2015 Sarah DiPascal rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
I would recommend this book to anyone being introduced to the MBTI (Myers Briggs Type Indicator) world. Or you know...any of you personality type/psychology dorks like me. ;)
This book is very insightful, walking through what makes each individual type tick and how they can reach their full potential in their relationships, careers, and daily lives.
Side note: These "types" aren't meant to put anyone in a box. The things written about your type shouldn't be the deciding factor for your life. Whil
Tessa
Jun 23, 2015 Tessa rated it it was ok
This book had a lot of information to offer-- some of it interesting, some of it very drawn out. There were a few chapters I skimmed because they just didn't seem relevant for me, but there were some chapters I read in one sitting because I was so curious about the topic. I think it might be a good little resource for people who are just starting to get into MBTI. I've been studying MBTI for a while so a lot of it was like a review for me, but I still grasped a few new, interesting things. It wa ...more
Sara
Oct 23, 2013 Sara rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the concepts of the Myers Briggs Type Indicator. This is where I started, and I usually recommend this book as a starting point to people when they want to know more MBTI and personality typology in general. As I said, it introduces the concepts in a way that's written in an engaging and easy language. However, I think the book's main flaw is that it encorporates too much from Keirsey's work, e.g. Please Understand Me II. I am highly critical of Keirsey's work, and I belie ...more
Rosa Frei
Dec 02, 2015 Rosa Frei rated it really liked it
Type watching is a a characterisation of the ways we perceive and relate to our world. It is a judgement-free psychological system, a way of explaining "normal" psychology (and not abnormal psychology). There are no good or bad "types", only differences. Typewatching celebrates those differences, using them creatively and constructively. The book contains many practical situation studies, demonstrating the different reactions of people of different types, in the same life situation (at home, rel ...more
Shelby
Jul 03, 2014 Shelby rated it it was amazing
BEWARE. If you read this book, you will find yourself sucked into a Typewatching spiral. IT NEVER ENDS. Still. You should read it. Especially if you are a writer, because it will help tremendously with characterization. Also provides hours of entertainment when it comes to Typing your favorite TV characters.

A word of caution, though -- don't try to read it all in one go. Grab a copy from your local library, read a few sections at a time, and renew it if you have to (I did). The Is and Es and Fs
Deborah Berberi
Jun 11, 2008 Deborah Berberi rated it liked it
A good book if you are into personality types...I don't think I believe in this kind of thing any more...For example...I came out from the test as INTP...Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceiving. It all has to do with different letters....wrong...I'm not thinking! I'm feeling. You are either thinking or feeling. But...I do think that everyone has bits and pieces of all the personality types. Not just one main thing. I am introverted sometimes and extroverted other times. It goes on and on... ...more
Chrisl
Sep 06, 2012 Chrisl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dew001-499
There were several library staff that softly promoted MBTI books, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. I found the concepts useful in both management and personal contexts. As a P type, and in advance of the new library building we were later to design, the following quote appealed.

"An MBTI trainer divided her group into Js and Ps. She asked each group to 'design a new library wing' while the other group watched. The Js went first. Someone had a bag of jelly beans and in five minutes they had laid o
Shennety
May 03, 2016 Shennety rated it it was amazing
Довольно интересная книга, которая может помочь лучше разобраться в себе и причинах того или иного поведения других людей. Конечно, брать ее за некий шаблон, чтобы "подгонять" в его рамки знакомых людей, всё же не стоит, о чем неоднократно настаивают сами авторы. Тем не менее, эта книга однозначно станет первым шагом к пониманию, почему многие люди не правильно Вас понимают, или не понимают вообще, а также рекомендуется прочитать родителям, дабы они не совершали ошибок во время воспитания детей, ...more
Gina
Oct 17, 2015 Gina rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
I read this book for a leadership course I attended for my job. I enjoyed learning about all the different personality types associated with the Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI). The information was a little dated for some personality types. For instance, introverts were described as a very small portion of the overall population; however, today's MBTI literature describes introverts as nearly half of the population. But the book is nearly three decades old now, so new studies have led to new ...more
Nadia Alblooshi
May 14, 2016 Nadia Alblooshi rated it it was amazing
Very useful and informative book. It can be your introductory material to the world of MBTI. Lots of advices, whispers and guidance on how to celebrate our differences in personalities. Many consultation stories with families and corporates. This is a rich book which will change your mind set, and forces you to excuse people and accept them for what they are, and become aware of your own self and accept it for what you are.

Highly recommended (y)
Bence
Jul 05, 2013 Bence rated it really liked it
A classic for psychology. Has a lot of fine points about how to understand and efficiently communicate with different people, with plenty of examples from family and corporate life. For me, the most important fundamental lesson was that people are different by nature, and it is okay: innate personality does not make anyone superior or inferior, they just operate on different terms.
Sam Kristen
Nov 05, 2014 Sam Kristen rated it really liked it
To me whose personality this book's description of the type that I am fits much of, I find the book really entertaining and applicable. I now have another common language with my peers and get to know how to interact with people more as a P person whose acts are largely influenced by others. It serves as a resource for me as I verbalize my and others' characteristics, which is helpful.
Shereen Elaidi
Apr 05, 2015 Shereen Elaidi rated it it was ok
It was okay. It didn't discuss cognitive functions, which is the backbone to the MBTI theory. That was my biggest problem with this book. It's a good introductory book to people new to MBTI, but if you've already been studying MBTI and understand the basics, I suggest you find a more in-depth book.
Jason Pere
Dec 12, 2012 Jason Pere rated it really liked it
If you are into MBTI this is one of the most easily accessible and absorbable books I have come across. I would stay away from this title if you are note a subscriber to the MBTI theorem but if you feel that the 16 types are something you want to know more about then this is well worth the time. On a personal note I am an INFP.
Cathy
Feb 25, 2015 Cathy rated it really liked it
Interesting...I have read other books about this typing process, but this one, instead of testing to see where you are, used the description of each type and each combination to help you pick out who you are and who others are. It helped me understand my spouse much better than I had.
Joanie
Mar 04, 2013 Joanie rated it really liked it
Still on my psychology kick. I am semi-obsessed with the MBTI and so devoured this book and then mentally typed everyone I came into contact with for weeks. Wonderfully informative, easy to understand and extremely enjoyable if you are on a MBTI kick.
Brent Ranalli
Aug 22, 2012 Brent Ranalli rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help-career
One has to take with a grain of salt the idea that all personalities belong to 16 distinct "types," but Myers-Briggs is a useful and thought-provoking heuristic, another way to approach human nature, and I feel I'd be impoverished if I hadn't been introduced to it by this eminently readable book.
Keli Wright
Jul 12, 2013 Keli Wright rated it it was ok
I was really excited to read this but then I found out my personality "changed" and they had split up things by different letters ...I could not keep..up...and all those boring for instances ....it was like a text book after awhile..
and I don't want to read a text book!!
Jennifer Stringer
Jul 14, 2010 Jennifer Stringer rated it really liked it
This book definitely helped me to look at myself and those around me and how that impacts how we see things and why we see things differently. Plenty of real-life examples so you can see where you and others fit on the Myers-Briggs Indicator.
Stacy
Oct 02, 2012 Stacy rated it really liked it
Good breakdown for those who are interested in the Myers-Briggs assessments. Liked how they talk about types at home, work, school, and as parents. Great anecdotes throughout as well!
David Smith
Jul 22, 2016 David Smith rated it really liked it
Not a newer book, but definitely a landmark book in vividly and practically explaining the Myers-Briggs 16 personality types in how we live, love, work, and parent.
Jess Dollar
Jan 10, 2016 Jess Dollar rated it really liked it
A great beginner book with a focus on typing other people. I found the descriptions of introvert/extrovert habits of engaging particularly insightful.
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • Just Your Type: Create the Relationship You've Always Wanted Using the Secrets of Personality Type
  • Lifetypes
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy
  • Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • Personality Type
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do
  • Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery
  • Psychological Types
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity & Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • Neuroscience of Personality: Brain Savvy Insights for All Types of People
  • All About Me
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • That's Not What I Meant!
Otto Kroeger having become an internationally known organizational consultant, with his primary area of expertise being the implementation of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) assessment, has now retired. As a renowned speaker, trainer and best selling author on the subject of psychological type he was in high demand for over three decades for his talent in bringing type theory to diverse p ...more
More about Otto Kroeger...