Start by marking “Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work” as Want to Read:
Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work

Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  861 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Determine your personality using a scientifically validated method based on the work of C.G. Jung and gain insight into why others behave the way they do, and why you are the person you are.
Published September 1st 1989 by Dell (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Type Talk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Type Talk

mlady_rebecca
Aug 19, 2008 mlady_rebecca rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone with the desire to understand other people better
Recommended to mlady_rebecca by: my boss at work
My favorite book on Myers-Briggs temperament sorting. I love the insight into what motivates and energizes different types of people. No specific type is considered "better" than another, although some combinations are more rare.

Personally, I'm an INTJ - Introvert/ iNtuitive/ Thinking/ Judging.

Introversion/ Extroversion - how you gain energy.
iNtuitive/ Sensor - how you perceive the world.
Thinking/ Feeling - how you make decisions
Judging/ Perceiving - how you organize your world.

INTJ INFJ INFJ I
M
The most readable, engaging introduction to Myers' theory of type I've come across. Type Talk is to Myers-Briggs what I'm O.K., You're O.K. is to Transactional Analysis. When you finish reading it you'll have the satisfying illusion that you understand it thoroughly.
Bucket
Kroeger and Thuesen write in-depth about the practical applications of the Myers-Briggs type indicator, which is based on Jungian personality types. Basically, they take a complex, philosophical subject and break it down in ways that help people apply it to their own lives and relationships. They discuss the implications of personality type in all aspects of life: work, marriage, parenting, school, etc.

For my graduate school leadership class I took the officially-facilitated test and came out wi
February Four
I liked this for the comprehensive overview of all 16 types as well as some things on what to look for, but Typewatching is not just about people on the extremes--people who are close to the center of the spectrum between their E and I, for example, don't act like the E or I types described in the book, and it is very difficult to get at other subtle differences like that. Overall, though, this was a positive read.
Adrienna
In general, I took brief notes on my personality traits as a INTJ. I learned there are more males in this personality trait/characteristic and lines up with the fields I have done already...just one more to go and hope I do well based on this book and others in relation....
Hadrian
Watered down, but practical guide to Jungian MBTI personality types.
Anne
It's definitely an introductory book -- which is a shame since I picked it up after already exploring this subject for weeks and weeks on end. That's not the book's fault though. Honestly, if it wasn't stuff that I already had a grasp on, I would have given this a higher rating.

I didn't like how the final type-descriptions in the back were extremely short. Fleshing out each type would have been a lot more interesting to read. It was pretty fragmented. Also being able to see the combination of al
Shelby
BEWARE. If you read this book, you will find yourself sucked into a Typewatching spiral. IT NEVER ENDS. Still. You should read it. Especially if you are a writer, because it will help tremendously with characterization. Also provides hours of entertainment when it comes to Typing your favorite TV characters.

A word of caution, though -- don't try to read it all in one go. Grab a copy from your local library, read a few sections at a time, and renew it if you have to (I did). The Is and Es and Fs
Sam Kristen
To me whose personality this book's description of the type that I am fits much of, I find the book really entertaining and applicable. I now have another common language with my peers and get to know how to interact with people more as a P person whose acts are largely influenced by others. It serves as a resource for me as I verbalize my and others' characteristics, which is helpful.
Vanessa
Though taken to be glorified horoscopes for Type As, it's still very informative and helpful for anyone struggling with interpersonal interactions. I always find these kinds of books fun, too.
Edward Ryan
This book is more in-depth than the Kroeger book I read first,16 Ways to Love Your Lover. I got a ton out of this, even if Meyers Briggs is less popular than it used to be.
Deborah Berberi
A good book if you are into personality types...I don't think I believe in this kind of thing any more...For example...I came out from the test as INTP...Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Perceiving. It all has to do with different letters....wrong...I'm not thinking! I'm feeling. You are either thinking or feeling. But...I do think that everyone has bits and pieces of all the personality types. Not just one main thing. I am introverted sometimes and extroverted other times. It goes on and on... ...more
Chrisl
There were several library staff that softly promoted MBTI books, the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator. I found the concepts useful in both management and personal contexts. As a P type, and in advance of the new library building we were later to design, the following quote appealed.

"An MBTI trainer divided her group into Js and Ps. She asked each group to 'design a new library wing' while the other group watched. The Js went first. Someone had a bag of jelly beans and in five minutes they had laid o
Cathy
Interesting...I have read other books about this typing process, but this one, instead of testing to see where you are, used the description of each type and each combination to help you pick out who you are and who others are. It helped me understand my spouse much better than I had.
Bence
A classic for psychology. Has a lot of fine points about how to understand and efficiently communicate with different people, with plenty of examples from family and corporate life. For me, the most important fundamental lesson was that people are different by nature, and it is okay: innate personality does not make anyone superior or inferior, they just operate on different terms.
Jason Pere
If you are into MBTI this is one of the most easily accessible and absorbable books I have come across. I would stay away from this title if you are note a subscriber to the MBTI theorem but if you feel that the 16 types are something you want to know more about then this is well worth the time. On a personal note I am an INFP.
Brent Ranalli
One has to take with a grain of salt the idea that all personalities belong to 16 distinct "types," but Myers-Briggs is a useful and thought-provoking heuristic, another way to approach human nature, and I feel I'd be impoverished if I hadn't been introduced to it by this eminently readable book.
Keli Wright
I was really excited to read this but then I found out my personality "changed" and they had split up things by different letters ...I could not keep..up...and all those boring for instances ....it was like a text book after awhile..
and I don't want to read a text book!!
Joanie
Still on my psychology kick. I am semi-obsessed with the MBTI and so devoured this book and then mentally typed everyone I came into contact with for weeks. Wonderfully informative, easy to understand and extremely enjoyable if you are on a MBTI kick.
Jennifer Stringer
This book definitely helped me to look at myself and those around me and how that impacts how we see things and why we see things differently. Plenty of real-life examples so you can see where you and others fit on the Myers-Briggs Indicator.
Stacy
Good breakdown for those who are interested in the Myers-Briggs assessments. Liked how they talk about types at home, work, school, and as parents. Great anecdotes throughout as well!
Michele
This is really a reference book. It's so enlightening! It makes sense of so many situations and people - lots of light bulbs go off in my head every time I read this.
Jane
Written by one of the most knowledgeable and entertaining type experts of all time, this book will help you understand yourself and those around you!
Shannon
Everything you need to know about why people have tendencies that are different than your's. Truly revealing about humans - and addictive!
Kathleen
Type Talk: The 16 Personality Types That Determine How We Live, Love, and Work by Otto Kroeger (1989)
Erika
A really fascinating read for anybody interested in personality psychology or specifically MBTI.
James D Smith
Puts you in a box. It's watered down Jung's personality types. Enneagram makes a lot more sense.
AJ Ostrow
My first introduction to type watching and the Myers-Briggs personality types. Quite fascinating.
Leah Cass
great intro book. I liked how it goes so far into serial on each preference.
  • Gifts Differing: Understanding Personality Type
  • What Type Am I?: The Myers-Brigg Type Indication Made Easy
  • Nurture by Nature: How to Raise Happy, Healthy, Responsible Children Through the Insights of Personality Type
  • Please Understand Me II: Temperament, Character, Intelligence
  • I'm Not Crazy, I'm Just Not You: The Real Meaning of the Sixteen Personality Types
  • Was That Really Me? How Everyday Stress Brings Out Our Hidden Personality
  • Personality Type
  • Psychological Types
  • The New Personality Self-Portrait: Why You Think, Work, Love and Act the Way You Do
  • MotherStyles: Using Personality Type to Discover Your Parenting Strengths
  • The Enneagram: Understanding Yourself and the Others in Your Life
  • Personality Types: Using the Enneagram for Self-Discovery
  • The Dance of Deception: A Guide to Authenticity and Truth-Telling in Women's Relationships
  • The Hero Within: Six Archetypes We Live By
  • Personality: What Makes You the Way You Are
  • Brain Sex: The Real Difference Between Men and Women
  • The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditative Experience
  • That's Not What I Meant!
Otto Kroeger having become an internationally known organizational consultant, with his primary area of expertise being the implementation of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment, has now retired. As a renowned speaker, trainer and best selling author on the subject of psychological type he was in high demand for over three decades for his talent in bringing type theory to diverse per ...more
More about Otto Kroeger...
Type Talk at Work: How the 16 Personality Types Determine Your Success on the Job Creative You: Using Your Personality Type to Thrive 16 Ways to Love Your Lover The Workplace Profiles Excerpted from Type Talk at Work The Typewatching Profiles: Excerpted from Type Talk