Start by marking “Bone Thief” as Want to Read:
Bone Thief

Bone Thief (John Driscoll #1)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  59 reviews
Proving himself a worthy successor to Thomas Harris, O'Callaghan introduces one of the most compelling serial killers since Hannibal Lecter. NYPD Lieutenant John Driscoll leads a troubled investigative team while battling his own demons in order to catch a cunning predator who keeps his victims' bones as trophies. Original.
Published January 1st 2006 by Pinnacle (first published December 31st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Bone Thief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bone Thief

I'm honestly sort of surprised by all the positive reviews on here. This book was poorly written, poorly researched, and barely qualifies as a mystery novel, much less a psychological thriller. The idea behind the book--a serial killer who removes all the bones from his victims--is an excellent one, but the book itself was poorly written. Spoilers ahead.

When I first read this, I thought surely this book must have been published in the late 90s. There was no way a book that relies this he
Mark Soone
Well, I had never heard of this author before my sister gave me a few books that she thought I might like. I might just check out a few more.

For a debut novel/series this was pretty well done. From the outset our hero Driscoll is a likeable enough guy who has had more than his share of tragedy and misfortune. The villan was heartless and fairly gruesome even by seriel killer standards, and although I did not get get a full picture of him untill late in the book O'Callaghan did manage to tie up h
The premise of the book sounded oddly interesting, a murderer who keeps the bones of his victims and leaves the rest for the authorities to find. While it was gory in the beginning, as there are 3 murders in a short period of time, the book tapers off near the end and it seems like they catch the bad guy too easily. Also, the role of certain characters seems to exaggerated to be real, and I was having a hard time placing the book in a timeframe. On the latter point, the book was written after 20 ...more
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
This was a fan-freaking-tastic book! I will be adding O'Callaghan to my list of fav authors.
I loved his writing style, the way he developed the characters and gave us a glimpse into their past was fantastic.
I loved John Driscoll the main character. The writing made us feel his pain, love, his fears. I believe we have a lot to discover about him and hope to do so in future books.

This book is graphic, but it is about a seriel collector so it must be. I was not turned off by the descriptions inst
Ailin Chia
I admit, I don't really go for thrillers or detective stories, as I prefer books that deal with history and dramas. I actually bought this book on a whim because I wanted to test whether my card could buy ebooks and the synopsis seemed interesting enough. However, what started out as a whim turned out to be something I actually ended up enjoying quite a bit, and I certainly don't regret the money spent. It's also the first book I managed to complete on my iPad.

What I loved most of all about this
Darcia Helle
This book started with promise but, the more I read, the worse it got. These are some of the problems I had with it:

The relationship between John Driscoll and his partner, Margaret, felt more like a business transaction than a romance. The conversations were stilted, forced and emotionless. Margaret risked her career to pursue John, who is her boss. This supposed tough female cop suddenly behaved like a lovesick teen around him, despite the fact that they'd been working together for years.

The pa
This thriller was fast paced and more than a little gruesome. With short chapters and a serial killer versus dedicated detective it was hard to put down and I read it in 2 short days.

Lt. John Driscoll is an emotionally bruised man. His wife and daughter were in a car accident six years earlier, his daughter died and his wife lays in a complete vegetative state. Driscoll pours all his emotion into his work.

A serial killer is using NYC as his hunting grounds, killing women and removing all their
Sinopsis :
Kisah penyiasatan apabila Bandar New York tiba-tiba digemparkan dengan kes pembunuhan sadis. Tiada unsur-unsur khianat atau jahat dikesan kerana mayat yang dijumpai adalah tanpa tulang, kepala, kaki dan tangan. Malah, kebanyakan mangsa tiada hubung kait antara satu sama lain, dan background juga tiada yang sama. Lieutenant John Driscoll dan Sergeant Margaret Aligante berusaha bersama team mereka untuk menghuraikan motif kes pembunuhan tersebut. Colm Pierce, doktor pakar tulang, adalah
This book was ok. The storyline was good and at times the book was very suspenseful. It was indeed a page-turner. However, the prose was rather juvenile. It's almost as if this is written by a 16 year old. The childish banter between Driscoll and Margaret was ridiculous. At times they were talking to relatives of victims and they start cracking jokes; I don't know any police officers that would do that.
Every Author has a purpose and it shows. Most of the time the purpose is to tell a good story and to write well. The purpose of Thomas O'Callaghan in "Bone Thief" is to make a few bucks by pretending he is writing an original horror novel. At best, this is a romance novel with a serial killer backdrop. It's not that the book is badly written (The structure is very simplistic), as much as O'Callaghan employes every cheap an tasteless device possible to lead the reader toward a pointless end. I ca ...more
2.5 stars. This book is not for the faint of heart! A compelling read, but disturbing, at times. Discrepancies in the investigation and in regard to the internet....reads like it was written in the mid-90's. I am not sure why it was published so much later....or maybe I missed the actual timeline of the story!?
Rw Rahajeng
Sebuah novel misteri yang pertama kali ku baca. suasana mencekam dan teror ketika membacanya sangat terasa. butuh daya imajinasi yang tinggi untuk bisa mengerti hal terjadi sebenarnya. Membuat penasaran, mencekam, dan kecewa ketika akhir, karena akhir cerita benar-benar diluar dugaanku.
Great story! I like serial killer thrillers and this one is realy good. The villain is unique (and love bones, like me. I just dontt like relationship between Driscoll and his colleague Margaret. Their, it felt like busines thing than romantic relationship, and their dialogues are so unnatural. ...more
Was gripping enough to make me want to read it all the way through, but I thought the ending was a bit of an anticlimax and the writing was quite awkward in places. Also, I found the short chapters really odd and a bit annoying!
May 15, 2012 Leslie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: cops
As I began reading this book I knew it was published in 2006, however once I got inside it became obvious it had been written prior to 2000. Netscape? Juno? Police not knowing the internet? The dead give-away was a side comment that by the next millennium there will be over 400 million web pages. So as an internet nerd this was quite distracting and in some ways hampered my enjoyment of the book. If anywhere in the book it stated that story took place in 1997 or 98 I would have been perfectly ha ...more
Barbara ★
Gruesome but extremely well written. O'Callaghan keeps you on the edge of your seats with the escalating suspense. Just reading the first chapter told me it was going to be a freaky story. Detectives Driscoll and Margaret are wonderful and real. Both face real life troubles while trying to investigate the serial killer from hell. He literally removes every bone in the victims body and then dumps the body. The story really heats up with 14 year old Moira enters the picture. The next book in the s ...more
Lieutenant Driscoll has dealt with tragedy in his family when his wife and daughter were in a car accident, killing the girl and leaving his wife in a permanent vegatative state. It is only after several years of caring for his wife that he begins to think about other women but it makes him feel like a cheater. Now a serial killer is on the loose in New York City who not only kills women but removes their bones, head, hands, and feet. Several women have been murdered this way but the police can ...more
This is a fabulous thriller with a hint of horror/serial killer to the twist and a dab of romance. In the meantime, tomorrow, I'll start reading January books for this month, with two books I've brought at last year's library book sales. Seven books have been requested-three I'll pick up this weekend or next week for my challenges here and at TBR. Two books I had to request to purchase, since my library didn't have it listed. I hope it comes in between now and April 30th, 2009. Then I'll reques ...more
subhashree  hari
it is fantastic thriller !! loved it !! it was kinda creepy at first but ended pretty well !!
Jessica Oakley-fail
Was a good read, but the ending seemed quite rushed.
I finished this in one day. Not bad, but not as suspenseful as I like in a psychological thriller. From the beginning we know who the criminal is and what is motivation is. The story was really about watching Lietuenant John Driscoll and his partner Sergeant Margaret Aligante solve the crime and setting up their characters for the next book in the series. Although the story didn't flow smoothly in spots and there really wasn't much suspense, the writing wasn't bad. I'd be willing to read the nex ...more
A serial killer collector has John Driscoll, Det., NYPD, on the hot seat as N. Y. cringes with every new body found and he uses every resource available to him to catch the killer of young women and to dispose of what was left of their bodies. O'Callaghan utilized unique and inventive ways for the killer to lure his prey but should have put more thought into his partner who came off as quite needy. Definitely creepy but the story didn't register high on my shiver scale for some reason.
Suci sadiq
mbaca bukunya seneng-seneng nyesel..
seneng karena emang bagus sih.. (jarang aku bilang buku jelek kecuali emang jelek banget.. siyan ahh penulisnya udah capek2 nulis hehehe), nyeselnya soalnya berhari-hari aku jadi parno dan kebayang2 kesadisan si penulis.. jujur aja aku udah lupa jalan ceritanya hehehe (review ini dibuat 2 bln stlh aku baca buku ini), tapi semua scene horornya masih kebayang dikepala.. waktu daging mayat dikuliti, waktu potongan tangan di paku ke papan... hiyyy)
Solid 4 maybe 5 star book until the teenage entered the picture. That SO wouldn't have happened and it ruined a lot of the book for me. Then, I don't know when this book was supposed to be set, but they acted like they had never heard of some new thing called the "internet" but a teenage girl had a laptop and was a hacker. Soooooooooo poorly written in those regards, but the killer was neat and the storyline was good, just a lot of flaws, but I enjoyed it overall.
Angie crosby
Very good book. Main character is a detective. He and his team of detectives are hunting a serial killer. A killer who kills and steals the bones of his victims. It has gory parts. I like too how it flashes back in the killers mind to his past. I didn't even mind that I knew who the killer was. I would read this again, recommend it and own it. Says this is the first Lieutenant John Driscoll book with another one next year. I'll be looking for it.
I'm really torn about giving this a 3 or a 4 star rating. I guess I would give it a 3.5 if I could. The book was great, kept me captivated all the way through, then at the very just fizzled out. Seemed like he was in a hurry to get done and just ended the book too quickly. It never really explained why the bad guy did what he did, and never really explained exactly WHAT he did with his crime. I was really disappointed in the ending.
This is definitely not a book without its flaws (some of them are quite glaring). However the author does know how to spin a chiller, and parts of this book are nearly impossible to stop reading. Given that this is the author's first outing - I'll be looking forward to reading more of his work a couple of years down the road when he has had a chance to mature as a writer and further hone his craft.
The first in what I assume will be a series starring NYPD Lieutenant John W. Driscoll. Driscoll is after a serial killer who kills and de-bones his victims taking their heads, hands, and feet. Overall, I liked the mystery especially that while it’s mostly told from Driscoll’s POV you also get some of the killer’s POV. That said, there were some gaps in the book that were noticable.
  • Bret Easton Ellis's American Psycho: A Reader's Guide
  • Dark Of The Moon (Louis Kincaid, #1)
  • Mister X (Frank Quinn, #5)
  • A Cold Dark Place (Emily Kenyon, #1)
  • Sleep Tight
  • The Tunnels (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #1)
  • Red Cat (John March, #3)
  • No One Left to Tell (No One, #2)
  • Tough Luck
  • The Soul Collector
  • Brooklyn Noir
  • Mania
  • Kiss Her Goodbye
  • Delayed Diagnosis (Dr. Rhea Lynch, #1)
  • Voodoo Doll (Detective Jill Jackson, #2)
  • Mourn The Living
  • Unsympathetic Magic (Esther Diamond #3)
  • The Night Killer (Diane Fallon, #8)
Thomas O'Callaghan's work has been translated for publication in Germany, Slovakia, Indonesia, and the Czech Republic. A publishing house in Italy has recently acquired rights, as well. As an internationally acclaimed author, Mr. O'Callaghan is a member of both the Mystery Writers of America and the International Thriller Writers associations. A native of New York City and a graduate of CUNY, Mr. ...more
More about Thomas O'Callaghan...

John Driscoll (2 books)
  • The Screaming Room
The Screaming Room Zberateľ kostí Blutrituale: Roman (German Edition)