Start by marking “School Days (Spenser, #33)” as Want to Read:
School Days (Spenser, #33)

School Days (Spenser #33)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  4,335 ratings  ·  238 reviews
Lily Ellsworth - erect, firm, white-haired, and stylish - is the grande dame of Dowling, Massachusetts, and possesses an iron will and a bottomless purse. When she hires Spenser to investigate her grandson Jared Clark's alleged involvement in a school shooting, Spenser is led into an inquiry that grows more harrowing at every turn. Though seven people were killed in cold b ...more
Published October 3rd 2006 by Berkley (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about School Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about School Days

Hate List by Jennifer BrownNineteen Minutes by Jodi PicoultWe Need to Talk About Kevin by Lionel ShriverGive a Boy a Gun by Todd StrasserRage by Richard Bachman
School Shooting Fiction
18th out of 49 books — 185 voters
Their Finest Hour by Winston S. ChurchillThe Hours by Michael CunninghamA Man for All Seasons by Robert BoltAcross Five Aprils by Irene HuntThe Conqueror Worm by Edgar Allan Poe
Synecdoche
19th out of 49 books — 13 voters

More lists with this book...

Kemper
Spenser gets hired by the grandmother of a teenager accused of being one of two kids who went on a shooting spree in their high school and killed several of the students and teachers. The grandmother is convinced that he is innocent despite being caught at the scene and giving a confession to the police. When Spenser starts investigating he finds that everyone involved, even the kid’s parents and his lawyer, just want to get him put in prison as soon as possible.

I didn’t remember a lot about thi
Bea
Lily Ellsworth does not believe that her grandson Jared Clark is guilty of the school shooting, despite the evidence and his confession. She is a grand old dame who has money to hire the best. She chooses to hire Spenser.

Spenser is not entirely convinced of Jared's innocence but, during the investigation, he runs into police, school officials, and even the boy's parents who all seem to want Spenser to stop looking into the shooting and leave things alone. Spenser is determined to get to the bott
Ardaaydin
I was not sure about this book since its a series.What i mean is this is one of the Detective Spenser's book series.Its not the last one or the first one, so i kinda question it but i really liked this book afterwards.
Spencer the main guy is a detective and its on a case of school shooting.Grandmother of an teenage Massachusetts boy hires Spenser to unrevial the secret of Shooting in his school. Before i bought this book, we know lately there were a lot of school shooting.So this book gave me mo
William
I just choose this book from the list of 30-odd "Spenser" books by Robert B. Parker. I remember reading them 20 years ago when I did a lot more airplane travel, before laptops and ipods and cell phones.

I also remember moving quickly past Parker to the grittier Elmore Leonard. Spenser was too damn perfect. His sidekick Hawk is able to leap tall building in a single bound, and both of them can beat anyone in a fight. His girlfriend is perfect. Their stupid dog, Pearl, is perfect. It was just too
June Ahern
Robert Parker is an entertaining author, and that's why his books continue to sell. As one reviewer noted, the stories are all the same, predictable - except for the murdered & victims, and town setting. True, but it's for Spencer (PI) and Jesse Stone (small town chief of police) (the main detective/sleuths) we, Parker's fans)come back for more. The books are easy reads and perfect for a lazy day, before sleep (don't even have to figure anything out) and/or a plane ride. Pick one up. Enjoy. ...more
Marti
Two boys shoot up a high school near Spenser. Susan is off down South doing some graduate work, so it is up to Spenser and Pearl to solve the case. THere was a case years ago where a woman teacher claimed to be in love with a young student--and later married him. Here, it is a guidance counselor--who must need some guidance herself--and what turned out to be a 14 year old retarded boy whom she was trying to adjust.
Metagion
School shootings are, unfortunately, happening more and more every day. A shooting in the small town of Dowling, Massachusetts brings Spenser to find out if the teenagers that did it: Jared Clark and Wendell Grant--had really done it and for what reason. Apparently Jared Clark's Grandmother doesn't believe that her grandchild really did it, and she needs Spenser to find out the truth, even though it looks like an open-and-shut case...but the more Spenser gives, the more things aren't as they see ...more
Denise Westlake
335 delightful large print pages! I love Spencer... he's a guy I'd always want on my side.
Steve
Yet another Robert B Parker book and another character to explore to go along with Jesse Stone and Sunny Randall, and like those two Spenser is in the same mould. He is a private investigator and has an errant spouse in Susan but like, Jenn and Richie they still feature in the lives of their other halves, can’t live with them can’t live without them. But Spenser has been called to investigate one of two boy who blew a fuse and shot to death a number of students and teachers at a local school, Do ...more
Richard
For me, Robert B. Parker is one of the best writers to read when you're on a plane, with plenty of time and not so much energy. This is one of his better, late "Spencer" novels, with a topical, important subject. It is also helped, in my opinion, that two of the series staple supporting characters, Spencer's love interest Susan and assistant Hawk, barely appear in this. That makes for less "going through the motions" and opens up the novel to what I like, Spencer's tough guy persona, his one-lin ...more
Kia
Spenser is back in a school shooting case. There are two kids charged with the crime, but only one of them was in the room with guns, dead bodies and a ski mask when the police burst in to arrest them. That's Wendell Grant. The other kid is Jared Clark. Jared's wealthy grandmother comes to Spenser to reassure herself that her grandson isn't guilty. She will accept no other version of the facts. Spenser doesn't promise to find out that he isn't guilty, but does promise the truth.

This seems to be
David
At last, a Parker novel that's more about actual detective work than displaying one's level of male hormones, well.. almost..

This time, Spenser is hired to investigate a Columbine-like shooting by the grandmother of one of the shooters. Though he is in custody and has confessed to having a part in the crime, she doesn't think he is guitly and wantsSpenser to prove it.

Spenser sets about in his usual break-all-the rules manner and soon has everybody in the whole town pretty much ticked off at hi
Mark
Well for a change it seems mr. Parker does write the occasional who-dunnit this this it is more of a why-dunnit.
The subject of the novel could not be more current, two teenagers shoot up a school. One of the teenagers dissappears and the other one surrenders. After that he kind of points out the other kid and he too gets arrested and admits to his deeds.
Enter the grandmother of the second teen who wants to hire Spenser to prove her grandson was innocent. Spenser sets out to do so but in the proc
LJ
SCHOOL DAYS (Private Investigator-Massachusetts-Cont) – VG
Parker, Robert – 34th in series
Putnam, 2005 – Hardcover
Wealthy Lily Ellsworth hires Spencer to uncover the innocence of her grandson, Jared. It's not going to be easy as he has confessed two being one of two boys responsible for killing seven people in a school shooting. As Spencer becomes involved in the investigation, he feels there's something missing and no one has asked why Jered might have done this.
*** Once again, Parker demonstrat
Tim
Another Spenser novel I never read when it came out, and I think I can see why. There's a "he's phoning it in" sense to this one, and it's a horrible crime (a school shooting) that cannot really lend itself to a sympathetic airing, though Parker is unusually clever in constructing a plot here. Plus virtually no Susan and only the briefest mention of Hawk--what was he thinking?

An incredibly light read given the hideousness of the subject matter. A few hours at most.
Kristi
I've only read a few Spenser novels before this one. I enjoy Spenser as a character and his wit. This book was interesting in that Spenser is not particularly concerned with if his client's grandson did indeed participate in the school shooting (it seems pretty obvious that he did), but is driven by the question of why it occurred. The novel takes some twists and turns along the way to the final outcome.
Jeff
Another solid outing with tough Boston private eye Spenser. The formula is a little different the some of the others I had read. This time our favorite PI has been hired to look into a spree shooting at a private school. Two teenagers have been arrested for the carnage and Spenser has been hired by one of the accused's grandmother to prove his innocence. Unlike some of the other books, Susan is out of town at a conference and with the exeception of a few phone calls, she is not in the book at al ...more
Dale
A throwback to the early days of 'Spenser'

This edition of Spenser reminded me of the early days of the series - the days before Spenser would assemble a gigantic posse of bad guys and policemen (ie, Potshot) in order to get the job done. Thankfully, this one is also basically Susan Silverman-free (not that I mind Susan, it's all of the repeated conversations about their relationship - it just gets old!)

Unfortunately, School Days is also Hawk-free, so the experienced reader of Spenser books wil
Eliana
Apr 04, 2014 Eliana added it
What can you say about a writer who can conjure up the likes of Spenser as well as Hawk. Their repartee is the hook and the plots and additional characters reel you in. Anyone who has lived in Boston will particularly enjoy the settings and characters. I am trying to finish up reading every single one of the Spenser series. Almost done!
Victoria
I always enjoy Spenser particularly for his smart aleck remarks which are usually hilarious. This one was without Hawk and only included Susan on the last two pages. Of course Spenser talked about them, especially Susan. This was not better than the others. They are all good. This one was too.
Maria
I came across this in my free copies bin at the library and found it full of snappy clever dialogue and plenty of fun and mild suspense. Part of the Spenser series, I believe this author may have created the Spenser for Hire television show from many years ago. In any event, this Spenser is a very likeable smart aleck in a committed relationship (how refreshing) who helps the cops solve crime in Boston. I love Spenser as a character; he doesn't take himself too seriously, he has scruples and int ...more
Stephen Osborne
The best Spenser in quite a while. Here a kid is accused of being one of two shooters in a school massacre. Everyone says he did it, including the kid himself, except for his grandmother, who hires Spenser to look into the matter. Spenser himself is soon convinced the kid was involved, but of course being Spenser he want to know why. No Hawk in this one (it really isn't a Hawk kind of story)and, thankfully, very little Susan. She gets on my nerves. Instead we get....Pearl! I love Pearl! She shou ...more
Rita
Very easy read. I did not read it in one day because it was impossible to put down, but rather I was resting some sore bones! It was an alright book. Not a great Spencer story. It certainly had some interesting subplots but I wish it was less predictable.
I hated the ending.
Jasmine
I never intended to read this entire book, honestly I just want to sample a few books from authors in the mystery genre to understand if I like the genre or if I like only Kathy Reichs. I wish I could say this book was so good I read it all, I didn't. I read exactly what I planned to read the first 100 pages. It wasn't terrible but it wasn't so good that I felt the need to read the other 200 pages.

It is a different kind of story than Kathy Reichs it is not a murder investigation but someone try
Mary
I like Spencer's determination and his tough guy talk. It was a quick read--one Saturday afternoon and part of the evening. The ending? Not so sure. Got pretty complicated and ugly.

Susan Silverman was barely in this book--nor was Hawk. I like having them around.
J.R.
Robert B. Parker's "School Days" was a quick read, and my first for the "Spenser" series. As always, I enjoyed Mr. Parker's descriptions of Boston and the surrounding areas, being familiar with most of them.

I felt reading this book that Mr. Parker enjoyed writing it. The underlying story was interesting, as a well-to-do grandmother hires Spenser to investigate the case of her grandson, charged with the murder of several people in a school. All the evidence points to this young defendant and Spe
Deb Howard
There is always more to the story...that is what made this such a page turner!!

If you like mystery, this book is for you! Humor along the way... And a private eye who doesn't give up...great plot and a slow reveal of why.
Jean Carlton
This one was better than the last one I read by Parker. I found myself chuckling at a few of his typical sarcastic remarks. Spenser's references to poetry make him a slightly more complex character. Short chapters. Easy reading but formulaic. Won't rush to read another.
Rachel
Listened to this as a book on tape while driving from Kansas to Texas for the holiday. Interesting enough. Maybe a little too much information about the dog. Not the best one in the series.
Marvin Lee Taylor
Very good

Enjoyed the read as usual. I love Mr packers way of story telling the personal things he tied into the store make you feel that your in the story .
  • Robert B. Parker's Wonderland (Spenser, #41)
  • Poodle Springs
  • Robert B. Parker's Killing the Blues (Jesse Stone, #10)
  • The Burglar on the Prowl (Bernie Rhodenbarr, #10)
  • Deadman's Bluff (Tony Valentine #7)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Two Down (Crossword Mysteries, #2)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • The Mosaic of Shadows
  • Noir
  • Sherlock Holmes and the King's Evil: And Other New Tales Featuring the World's Greatest Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #4)
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Sunset Express (Elvis Cole, #6)
  • Boston Noir
  • King Con
  • Robert B. Parker's Ironhorse (Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch, #5)
Librarian Note: There is more than one author in the Goodreads database named Robert B. Parker.
Robert Brown Parker was an American crime writer. His most famous works were the novels about the private detective Spenser. ABC television network developed the television series Spenser: For Hire based on the character in the late 1980s; a series of TV movies based on the character were also produced.
More about Robert B. Parker...

Spenser (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1)
  • God Save The Child (Spenser, #2)
  • Mortal Stakes (Spenser, #3)
  • Promised Land (Spenser, #4)
  • The Judas Goat (Spenser, #5)
  • Looking For Rachel Wallace (Spenser, #6)
  • Early Autumn (Spenser, #7)
  • A Savage Place (Spenser, #8)
  • Ceremony (Spenser, #9)
  • The Widening Gyre (Spenser, #10)
The Godwulf Manuscript (Spenser, #1) Sixkill (Spenser, #39) Painted Ladies (Spenser, #38) Chance (Spenser, #23) Split Image (Jesse Stone, #9)