Start by marking “MacGowan's Ghost” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  32 reviews
The author of Highland Knights delivers the fourth charming paranormal romance in her series featuring a sexy Scottish Highlander and a roguish sea captain ghost. Original.
Published February 3rd 2009 by Signet (first published January 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about MacGowan's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MacGowan's Ghost

Bound by Blood by Tracey Jane JacksonCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareTwilight by Stephenie MeyerParanormalcy by Kiersten WhiteSpirit of the Knight by Debbie  Peterson
Clean paranormal romance
40th out of 82 books — 50 voters
Sunshine by Robin McKinleyBlood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis KlauseGood Omens by Terry PratchettNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Silver Kiss by Annette Curtis Klause
PNR/UF Stand-Alone Books
79th out of 89 books — 69 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie (jjmachshev)
"MacGowan's Ghost" is my fourth read by Cindy Miles. Her books are quirky...a mix of PG-rated romance, ghost story, and mystery. The fact that I continue to read, even without hot sex, should tell you that there's something about her tales that touches me. And the sexy, handsome Alpha males certainly don't hurt either. She writes an excellent Alpha who manages to find tenderness for his woman...and aren't we all suckers for that?

Allie's a ghost buster. Of course, she really hates that term becau...more
Cindy
Fun read - not a keeper but enjoyable. A ghost story like her other books - it's full of sexy guys [both corporeal and not:], fascinating settings and quirky plot turns.

None of her books are a 'series' but characters from previous books usually appear [at least briefly:] on later ones.

Novels
Spirited Away (2007)
Into Thin Air (2007)
Highland Knight (2008)
MacGowan's Ghost (2009)
Thirteen Chances (2009)
Wendy Hines
Gabe MacGowan grew up with the ghosts that now haunt his pub. They are baffled why he would want to leave them, and hurt that he would do so. Allie Morgan died when she was younger, and when she was revived, she could see ghosts. She’s made it into her life’s work. Now she is hired for the job of a lifetime.

Allie Morgan can see dead people. She is hired by many to oust the spirits that haunt their homes. Usually, she talks to the spirits and does some research about them. Once she finds out why...more
SheLove2Read
I know this is a 2009 release but after starting to read it, I realized I have read this book before! Not sure if I got my hands on an ARC or what, but....

This book is cute, funny and full of good romance. A fun-loving American "ghosthunter" who actually just talks to ghosts and helps them to figure out why they are still around and move on (if that's what they want), Allie comes to the rescue (bringing her own ghostie with her!) of Scottish pub owner Gabe MacGowan. Gabe wants to sell his haunte...more
Natasja
Allie Morgan has a gift; she is able to see spirits and can communicate with them. She has set up s business to help people who don’t want their houses and business haunted by ghosts. When she receives a phone call from Gabe MacGowan, who claims his pub is haunted by several ghosts, she knows she has to travel from America to Scotland to see if she can help. But Allie doesn’t travel alone, she’s bringing her own ghost Dauber along with her, one who’s very protective and wants to see her save.

Gab...more
Jane Stewart
I didn’t like the major conflict which was keeping information secret from someone who was there to help.

STORY BRIEF:
Allie sees and communicates with ghosts. She makes her living by getting ghosts to stop haunting places. Allie does this by researching events and helping ghosts understand what is troubling them. Gabe’s wife died five years earlier. He is raising his son Jake. Gabe inherited a pub in Scotland which is where he has lived his whole life. A group of friendly ghosts has lived in the...more
Jo
Firstly, what a terrible cover hiding such a good book inside! It told me nothing of the humour and paranormal nature of the book. Work harder, Signet art department!

But apart from the sexiness of the hero being stated a few too many times (okay, I get it - she's attracted to him!) and finding it hard to track all the names to start with, given the quantity of characters and ghosts, this is genuinely a book that keeps you smiling page after page.

The humour comes from the characters and the dial...more
Joelle
by Cindy Miles
4 out of 5 stars

Gabe MacGowan—a sexy, brooding, guilt-ridden widower and father to mischievous seven-year old Jake—is the proprietor of Odin's Thumb Inn and Pub in a misty Scottish seaside village. He decides to sell the inn and move, not only to give his son a more stable environment, but to escape the ghosts who haunt him—in particular his dead wife.

Gabe hires Allie Morgan, an easy-going and fun-loving American, to oust the...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Ghostly chaperones, sexy Scottish Highlanders, and a terrified inn keeper keep an intrepid American woman on her toes and test her sense of humor while leading her on a path of discovery that will change her life. MacGowan’s Ghost has so much to offer a reader with its richness of characters, dialogue and scenery, not to mention a sensual build up that keeps the emotional tension taunt, that it’s a book a romance reader can visit agai...more
Amy C
I love books such as this one. Light, with some nice heart-tugging scenes. Allie Morgan is an American and a ghost ouster. She helps people rid themselves of those pesky specters. Gabe MacGowen is the owner of the Odin's Thumb pub in Scotland. He has a pack of pesky ghosts he needs quieted in order to sell his pub. So after browsing the internet, he contacts Allie to do the job.

Allie accepts and finds herself in the rugged, beautiful country of Scotland, situated in a small coastal town that All...more
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
I kept this book on my shelf for quite a while before I picked it up, I was not sure I was going to like the prot and ant both being mortal and alive. I love Cindy Miles' romances between the Alive heroine, and the cursed or dead ghostly heros, and could not foresee how this story could be as magical as her others. I was delighted to discover that this book was just as magical.
The Pros of this book:

Endearing Characters. I loved Justin Catesby, probably more than the hero. I hope he gets his ow...more
Marian
Here's what the back of the book says:

It's hard to leave the past behind when it keeps coming back to haunt you....

Odin's Thumb Inn and Pub may be owned by brooding Highlander Gabe MacGowan, but it is actually run by a crew of ornery ghosts, who aren't eager for their home to undergo a change in management. Gabe intends to sell the pub not only to give his son a more sable environment but to escape what really haunts him-his wife's death.

Leave it to fun-loving American Allie Morgan to come to Ga...more
Lhenry
The story should have been more interesting than it actually was. I agree with another reviewer who said there was a lot of "filler" scenes that were nice, but that didn't really move the story along. I was feel very impatient for a climactic scene with Kait, Allie and Gabe, but it was not really all that excting when it finally transpired. I was disappointed with the characterizations too. I justed didn't feel much beyond the basics on each one: Gabe was tortured, the ghosts were feisty, the to...more
Roberta
I don't want to say this is a paranormal romance. To me this book is a romance novel that happens to have ghosts.

Gabe MacGowan hires Allie Morgan to rid his pub of ghosts. Allie can communicate with the dead but is not your typical ghost buster. She wants to find out why the ghost are still hanging around and at Gabe's put their is a whole circle of ghosts and a whole town who accepts them as they are.

I don't want to spoil anything with this book but it is an EASY, ENJOYABLE, FUNNY, ROMANCE and...more
Donna Jo Atwood
If you want to believe in ghosts and a whole town that sees the same ghosts and a ghost hunter/buster who is effective because she's already "died" twice, this is the book for you.
Oh, and I forgot the tormented hero with a load of emotional baggage and the cute little boy and a whole passel of villagers who just twinkle with happiness every time they turn around. And the clan of warriors who seem to be fugitives from the 14th century, but NOT ghosts (perhaps leftovers from a previous book that...more
Bookadventurer
Very enjoyable story with a sweet ending. Taking place in the Highlands of Scotland, featuring a scarred but hunky Scotsman alongside a very sweet American ghost-mortal advocate, what's not to love!? The only thing that bothered me a "wee bit" was sometimes the Scottish didn't flow well into the English sentencing and vice versa, and the word lass was definitely used ALOT along with the characters calling each other their full (first and last) names ALOT. Other than that, this is just a downrigh...more
Ann Marie
This historical paranormal romance was awesome. Gabe MacGowan's ghostly wife was a creepy as creepy gets. Allie Morgan was tasked to clear her out of MacGowan's pub so it could be sold. Unfortunately for both of them, the crew of other ghosts in the pub aren't so eager to have their home sold. Fun ghost antics. Great, edgy plot. And dreamy romance. I loved this book as I have with all of Miles' books.
Holly
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this up, but it turned out to be a really cute, light read.

I liked both the main characters. Allie was a bright, sunny person. That might have been irritating, but she was well balanced.

Gabe was more dark and brooding, but that wasn't irritating either. He suffered from things in his past in a way I found believable.

Jill
I really enjoyed the first part of this book, but the second half was a tad boring and eye-rolling. Things like equating his sobriety w/ not trying to have sex with her just escaped me. I'm not sure how the two are related. The ghost characters in this one were fun. It was also fun to see the characters from a previous novel (can't remember the name right now.)
Lisa
Interesting Read and enjoyable. Two souls both troubled Gabe Scottish HIghlander who deals with ghosts of his past and ghostrs residing at his INN and Allie the American hired to help.

It was an enjoyable read, all in all and I would recommend it!
Amber(Shyloh)
The premiss of this story was a good one, but the book failed to live up to it. It started off slow, and I really would have liked more background info on the ghosts of Odin's Thumb. Also the ghost of the wife was not really believable.
Kristin
This was a cute story. I loved the ghosts. It would be fun to hear their stories as well. Maybe in a book of short stories. Every time I read a book set in Scotland it makes me want to go there even more.
SJuhl4
My first book by Cindy Miles, and I read it twice. I throughly enjoyed the ghosts. She blends good humor with the supernatural and a true romance. Definitely worth reading.
Rexanna
This is a great romance due to the different characters, some being of other worlds. It is perhaps a bit too subdued in the sex scenes, but it is a good read.
Kathi
Different...really liked it. Left something to the imagination. The story line was also interesting. Enchanted....
Karen
This book is a bit tedious, but I have to find out what happens at the end ...
Chiyomi
Again with the skipping the last chapter, but a good read!
Amanda

Shelves: k-l-m
Really liked.
A Lot of Fun 1 7 Mar 12, 2009 08:34AM
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • Mystical Warrior  (Midnight Bay, #3)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • With Every Breath (MacLeod, #11)
  • One With the Darkness (Companion, #6)
Cindy Miles is the best-selling author of twelve novels, one anthology and three short stories. She also writes as Elle Jasper, and grew up on the salt marshes of the Vernon River in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Cindy Miles...
Stupid Girl (Stupid in Love, #1) Highland Knight Forevermore Spirited Away Into Thin Air