Start by marking “MacGowan's Ghost” as Want to Read:

MacGowan's Ghost

The author of Highland Knights delivers the fourth charming paranormal romance in her series featuring a sexy Scottish Highlander and a roguish sea captain ghost. Original.
Published February 3rd 2009 by Signet

To ask other readers questions about MacGowan's Ghost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about MacGowan's Ghost

Julie (jjmachshev)
Jan 24, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
"MacGowan's Ghost" is my fourth read by Cindy Miles. Her books are quirky...a mix of PG-rated romance, ghost story, and mystery. The fact that I continue to read, even without hot sex, should tell you that there's something about her tales that touches me. And the sexy, handsome Alpha males certainly don't hurt either. She writes an excellent Alpha who manages to find tenderness for his woman...and aren't we all suckers for that?

Allie's a ghost buster. Of course, she really hates that term becau
Booknut
'"Look at me."

(...)Locking in on her gaze, Gabe eased one hand up and threaded it through the heavy mass of Allie's hair - just as soft as he imagined. He watched with fascination as one long curl coiled around his finger as though it had a life of its own.

Slowly, he slid his hand to her jaw, tilted it just so, and held her chin as he lowered his head.'

Pamela(AllHoney)
Allie Morgan is hired to ousts the ghosts at Gabe MacGowan's pub in Scotland. Well, maybe not oust but persuade them to leave. Gabe MacGowan is desperate to sell the pub so he can move his son and himself to another location. The ghosts don't want to go and don't understand why he wants them to leave. But every night Gabe is being haunted by his dead wife who drowned years ago and things are getting worse.

Cindy Miles writes some fun romantic ghostly stories that I love. I've had this book for qu
Cassandra
Jul 09, 2016 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Die Amerikanerin Allie wird von dem schottischen Pubbesitzer Gabe engagiert um dort die Geister, zu beruhigen, damit er das Lokal verkaufen kann. Noch nie hat Allie erlebt, dass Geister für jedermann sichtbar sind und praktisch zur Familie gehören. Warum will Gabe mit seinem kleinen Sohn unbedingt das schottische Dörfchen verlassen, obwohl die Geister seine besten Freunde sind?

Dieser Geisterroman hat viele gute Ideen und ein sehr schönes Setting. (Ilona)
SheLove2Read
May 25, 2009 SheLove2Read rated it really liked it
I know this is a 2009 release but after starting to read it, I realized I have read this book before! Not sure if I got my hands on an ARC or what, but....

This book is cute, funny and full of good romance. A fun-loving American "ghosthunter" who actually just talks to ghosts and helps them to figure out why they are still around and move on (if that's what they want), Allie comes to the rescue (bringing her own ghostie with her!) of Scottish pub owner Gabe MacGowan. Gabe wants to sell his haunte
Cindy
May 02, 2009 Cindy rated it really liked it
Fun read - not a keeper but enjoyable. A ghost story like her other books - it's full of sexy guys [both corporeal and not:], fascinating settings and quirky plot turns.

None of her books are a 'series' but characters from previous books usually appear [at least briefly:] on later ones.

Novels
Spirited Away (2007)
Into Thin Air (2007)
Highland Knight (2008)
MacGowan's Ghost (2009)
Thirteen Chances (2009)
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

Ghostly chaperones, sexy Scottish Highlanders, and a terrified inn keeper keep an intrepid American woman on her toes and test her sense of humor while leading her on a path of discovery that will change her life. MacGowan’s Ghost has so much to offer a reader with its richness of characters, dialogue and scenery, not to mention a sensual build up that keeps the emotional tension taunt, that it’s a book a romance reader can visit agai
Paranormal Romance
After dying 2 times and being revived 2 times, the heroine has developed the ability to see and commune with spirits. She's highly sought after for people who want their homes and businesses de-ghosted but she's not the exorcism ghost be gone sort of spirit hunting, no instead she talks to them, befriends them. She knows that though their bodies may have died, the soul of who they were is still very much alive. She knows they have feelings same as everybody and she treats them with respect. When ...more
Natasja
Aug 07, 2009 Natasja rated it really liked it
Allie Morgan has a gift; she is able to see spirits and can communicate with them. She has set up s business to help people who don’t want their houses and business haunted by ghosts. When she receives a phone call from Gabe MacGowan, who claims his pub is haunted by several ghosts, she knows she has to travel from America to Scotland to see if she can help. But Allie doesn’t travel alone, she’s bringing her own ghost Dauber along with her, one who’s very protective and wants to see her save.

Gab
Jane Stewart
Sep 28, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy-romance
I didn’t like the major conflict which was keeping information secret from someone who was there to help.

STORY BRIEF:
Allie sees and communicates with ghosts. She makes her living by getting ghosts to stop haunting places. Allie does this by researching events and helping ghosts understand what is troubling them. Gabe’s wife died five years earlier. He is raising his son Jake. Gabe inherited a pub in Scotland which is where he has lived his whole life. A group of friendly ghosts has lived in the
Joelle
Mar 12, 2010 Joelle rated it really liked it
by Cindy Miles
4 out of 5 stars

Gabe MacGowan—a sexy, brooding, guilt-ridden widower and father to mischievous seven-year old Jake—is the proprietor of Odin's Thumb Inn and Pub in a misty Scottish seaside village. He decides to sell the inn and move, not only to give his son a more stable environment, but to escape the ghosts who haunt him—in particular his dead wife.

Gabe hires Allie Morgan, an easy-going and fun-loving American, to oust the
Wendy Hines
Jun 19, 2013 Wendy Hines rated it liked it
Gabe MacGowan grew up with the ghosts that now haunt his pub. They are baffled why he would want to leave them, and hurt that he would do so. Allie Morgan died when she was younger, and when she was revived, she could see ghosts. She’s made it into her life’s work. Now she is hired for the job of a lifetime.

Allie Morgan can see dead people. She is hired by many to oust the spirits that haunt their homes. Usually, she talks to the spirits and does some research about them. Once she finds out why
Jo
Jan 14, 2012 Jo rated it liked it
Firstly, what a terrible cover hiding such a good book inside! It told me nothing of the humour and paranormal nature of the book. Work harder, Signet art department!

But apart from the sexiness of the hero being stated a few too many times (okay, I get it - she's attracted to him!) and finding it hard to track all the names to start with, given the quantity of characters and ghosts, this is genuinely a book that keeps you smiling page after page.

The humour comes from the characters and the dial
Amy C
Oct 23, 2009 Amy C rated it really liked it
Shelves: scotland, ghost
I love books such as this one. Light, with some nice heart-tugging scenes. Allie Morgan is an American and a ghost ouster. She helps people rid themselves of those pesky specters. Gabe MacGowen is the owner of the Odin's Thumb pub in Scotland. He has a pack of pesky ghosts he needs quieted in order to sell his pub. So after browsing the internet, he contacts Allie to do the job.

Allie accepts and finds herself in the rugged, beautiful country of Scotland, situated in a small coastal town that All
I_love_a_happily_ever_after
Jul 13, 2009 I_love_a_happily_ever_after rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I kept this book on my shelf for quite a while before I picked it up, I was not sure I was going to like the prot and ant both being mortal and alive. I love Cindy Miles' romances between the Alive heroine, and the cursed or dead ghostly heros, and could not foresee how this story could be as magical as her others. I was delighted to discover that this book was just as magical.
The Pros of this book:

Endearing Characters. I loved Justin Catesby, probably more than the hero. I hope he gets his ow
Marian
Feb 28, 2009 Marian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: just-read
Here's what the back of the book says:

It's hard to leave the past behind when it keeps coming back to haunt you....

Odin's Thumb Inn and Pub may be owned by brooding Highlander Gabe MacGowan, but it is actually run by a crew of ornery ghosts, who aren't eager for their home to undergo a change in management. Gabe intends to sell the pub not only to give his son a more sable environment but to escape what really haunts him-his wife's death.

Leave it to fun-loving American Allie Morgan to come to Ga
Lhenry
Mar 10, 2012 Lhenry rated it it was ok
The story should have been more interesting than it actually was. I agree with another reviewer who said there was a lot of "filler" scenes that were nice, but that didn't really move the story along. I was feel very impatient for a climactic scene with Kait, Allie and Gabe, but it was not really all that excting when it finally transpired. I was disappointed with the characterizations too. I justed didn't feel much beyond the basics on each one: Gabe was tortured, the ghosts were feisty, the to ...more
Roberta
Apr 25, 2014 Roberta rated it really liked it
I don't want to say this is a paranormal romance. To me this book is a romance novel that happens to have ghosts.

Gabe MacGowan hires Allie Morgan to rid his pub of ghosts. Allie can communicate with the dead but is not your typical ghost buster. She wants to find out why the ghost are still hanging around and at Gabe's put their is a whole circle of ghosts and a whole town who accepts them as they are.

I don't want to spoil anything with this book but it is an EASY, ENJOYABLE, FUNNY, ROMANCE and
Donna Jo Atwood
Feb 22, 2009 Donna Jo Atwood rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, romance
If you want to believe in ghosts and a whole town that sees the same ghosts and a ghost hunter/buster who is effective because she's already "died" twice, this is the book for you.
Oh, and I forgot the tormented hero with a load of emotional baggage and the cute little boy and a whole passel of villagers who just twinkle with happiness every time they turn around. And the clan of warriors who seem to be fugitives from the 14th century, but NOT ghosts (perhaps leftovers from a previous book that
Ann Marie
Nov 15, 2009 Ann Marie rated it really liked it
This historical paranormal romance was awesome. Gabe MacGowan's ghostly wife was a creepy as creepy gets. Allie Morgan was tasked to clear her out of MacGowan's pub so it could be sold. Unfortunately for both of them, the crew of other ghosts in the pub aren't so eager to have their home sold. Fun ghost antics. Great, edgy plot. And dreamy romance. I loved this book as I have with all of Miles' books.
Dec 19, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: scotland
A sweet paranormal romance set on the rugged coast of Scotland. Gabe MacGowan's pub has been haunted for hundreds of years, but the ghost that's haunting Gabe is that of his unhappy wife who died several years ago, and is just as unhappy in the spirit world as she was in the living and breathing world. Gabe contacts medium Allie Morgan to rid the pub of all ghostly afterlife, and falls for Allie in the process, which makes his ghostly wife even more angry and threatening.
Holly
Nov 27, 2009 Holly rated it liked it
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this up, but it turned out to be a really cute, light read.

I liked both the main characters. Allie was a bright, sunny person. That might have been irritating, but she was well balanced.

Gabe was more dark and brooding, but that wasn't irritating either. He suffered from things in his past in a way I found believable.

Jill
I really enjoyed the first part of this book, but the second half was a tad boring and eye-rolling. Things like equating his sobriety w/ not trying to have sex with her just escaped me. I'm not sure how the two are related. The ghost characters in this one were fun. It was also fun to see the characters from a previous novel (can't remember the name right now.)
Amber Gray
Feb 04, 2009 Amber Gray rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010, paranormal
The premiss of this story was a good one, but the book failed to live up to it. It started off slow, and I really would have liked more background info on the ghosts of Odin's Thumb. Also the ghost of the wife was not really believable.
Kristin
This was a cute story. I loved the ghosts. It would be fun to hear their stories as well. Maybe in a book of short stories. Every time I read a book set in Scotland it makes me want to go there even more.
Lisa
Jan 06, 2013 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Interesting Read and enjoyable. Two souls both troubled Gabe Scottish HIghlander who deals with ghosts of his past and ghostrs residing at his INN and Allie the American hired to help.

It was an enjoyable read, all in all and I would recommend it!
LInda L
Don't remember it -- just had it on my list of books I've read.
Rexanna Ipock-Brown
Jul 04, 2009 Rexanna Ipock-Brown rated it really liked it
This is a great romance due to the different characters, some being of other worlds. It is perhaps a bit too subdued in the sex scenes, but it is a good read.
Karen
Jul 09, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok
This book is a bit tedious, but I have to find out what happens at the end ...
LInda L
Jul 09, 2009 LInda L rated it really liked it
Cute Scottish paranormal stuff -- such a cute hero and heroine it kind of sucks you in, even if you hate that kind of thing. I liked it.
A Lot of Fun 1 8 Mar 12, 2009 08:34AM
  • A Highlander Christmas
  • Highland Guardian (Daughters of the Glen, #2)
  • A Highlander Christmas (Pine Creek Highlanders, #7)
  • Highlander in Her Dreams (Highlander #2)
  • Till There Was You (MacLeod, #8; De Piaget #10; de Piaget/MacLeod, #15)
Cindy Miles is the best-selling author of twelve novels, one anthology and three short stories. She also writes as Elle Jasper, and grew up on the salt marshes of the Vernon River in Savannah, Georgia.
More about Cindy Miles...