Start by marking “Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery, #3)

Brush With Death (An Art Lover's Mystery #3)

Working nights to restore murals in a building full of cremated remains is strange enough, but chasing a crypt-robbing ghoul through a graveyard is downright creepy.

In Brush with Death, San Francisco artist Annie Kincaid finds herself drawn into a decades-old mystery involving some illustrious graveyard residents and Raphael's most intimate portrait, dubbed La Fornarina,
Published July 3rd 2007 by Signet (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Brush With Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brush With Death

John
Sep 25, 2007 John rated it really liked it
Solid plotting, and good use of local setting. I appreciated keeping the plot (pretty much) on the mystery, rather than on Annie's complicated, cluttered personal life.
Kristen
Jan 17, 2015 Kristen rated it really liked it
In the 3rd installment of Hailey Lind's Art Lovers Cozy Mystery series, Brush with Death, Annie Kincaid returned to solve another art theft-related mystery. Back at San Francisco's Brock Museum, she restored murals and chased a grave robber from stealing Raphael's "Little Baker Girl" painting. She needed to prove, if it was a copy or the real deal. Or if he was involved Annie's grandfather or an Italian art forger. It was now up to Annie to figure things out, before she became one of the cremate ...more
Kitty
Nov 22, 2008 Kitty rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-mystery
Third in the series

All the usual characters were back. Takes place mostly in Oakland, where Annie is restoring some artwork at a chapel/cemetary. A little disappointed with some of Annie's decisions in the love dept., but I'm seriously into this series!
Tiffany
Jan 14, 2008 Tiffany rated it really liked it
this is the best one yet of the three AND my next door neighbor wrote it. EVERYONE needs to read these books.
Patricia
The story begins about 6 months after the conclusion of “Shooting Gallery,” the second novel in the Art Lover’s Mystery series. Annie Kincaid is working to restore two murals at an area columbarium when she takes a midnight break, strolling through the attached cemetery. She finds a grad student at a grave, photographing the crypt for her thesis on public grieving. Finding out that Annie is an art restorer, the grad student tells her that the columbarium’s copy of a famous Raphael painting may n ...more
Judy  at Musings and Ramblings
This is the third book in the Art Lover's Mystery Series by Hailey Lind. This book opens with Annie Kincaid working on a restoration project at the Chapel of the Chimes Columbarium, which is adjacent to the Bayview Cemetery. She is working at night, as to not disturb the mourners who come during the day. On this particular night, she meets a young grad student by the name of Cindy Tanaka who is working on her dissertation of the phenomenon of public grieving. While they are talking at the crypt ...more
Sara
Jan 02, 2011 Sara rated it really liked it
The third book in this series. Former art forger and current faux finisher Annie Kincaid is back, trying to solve a new mystery after hearing that a painting in the columbarium where she's working may be an original Raphael... and a murder quickly follows. Interesting new characters are introduced as Annie pokes around the columbarium where she's working and the cemetery next door. The romance triangle (square? pentagon?) aspect of the book moved forward in a fun way, which was nice to see. I di ...more
Susan
Mar 09, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mysteries
I love this mystery series and am so sorry this is the final book. Unfortunately, it doesn't quite tie up loose ends in that we don't know which of the 3 men, who are interested in our heroine, will be the one she has a continuing relationship with, know of any further adventures in her new business enterprise nor what happens to any of her friends/employees. I wish the publisher had signed for one more book to get the final word on these events.

Anyway, the mystery was a good one. Great characte
Dharia Scarab
Jul 13, 2014 Dharia Scarab rated it liked it

4 sta
Tori
Jun 22, 2010 Tori rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
thank goodness for some books I can get through quickly! Mysteries are just the perfect type of books to enjoy - and then move on to something heavier.
This is the third book in the Art Lovers Mystery Series. Most of the main characters are familiar and enjoyable - although I have to admit, I am getting tired of Pete's ( a Bosnian) malapropisms. I hope his English improves for the next book. anyway - Annie Kincaid manages to solve another mystery, this time regarding Raphael's La Fornarina. In th
Rebecca
May 12, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: complete-series
So I started reading this in June and got about 1/3 through and then just put it to the side. I wasn't sucked into the story, but I did put it to the side because I wanted to find out how it ended. Also because I have the next book in the series and I thought I might like it better than this one. So, 9 months later (give or take) I picked it up again, skimmed a bunch of pages and then jumped to the end to see what happened. And it was fine, I got the gist and I'm just hoping I get more into the ...more
Cheryl
Mar 31, 2015 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Annie does restoration work and is currently working in an unguarded columbarium. She gets a tip that the chapel's copy of Raphael's painting is real and not a copy she has to take a look. She runs into a art thief. Annie hopes that returning the masterpiece to Italy she will redeem herself and gain status. Then murder enters the picture and she realizes that it won't be as easy as she thought. The book was well written with some interesting information about how old paintings are proved to be r ...more
April
Oct 13, 2013 April rated it liked it
This was my first acquaintance with MacInerney's Gray Whale Inn mystery series, and I enjoyed it. Natalie's relationship with her young artist niece, Gwen, is nicely portrayed, as is her developing relationships with both her fiance John, and his uptight skinny mother. I thought there was a bit too much focus on eating to relieve stress (yeah, sure that happens sometimes, but it's like on every other page), but I liked the mystery and the book. I'd definitely read another issue when I want a coz ...more
Susan
Dec 21, 2015 Susan rated it liked it
Annie Kincaid was trained as an expert forger, but prefers to stay on the legal side of the art business. Working on restoring a mural at a columbarium in Oakland, she runs into a young woman, Cindy Tanaka, who is in the cemetery doing research on public mourning rituals. Cindy had asked her to examine a copy of a Raphael masterpiece and Annie finds that a lot of people are interested in the reproduction. Annie is more interesting than the average amateur sleuth mystery, but the lost masterpiece ...more
Mark Baker
Mar 21, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, 2010
Faux finisher Annie Kincaid is restoring some old paintings in a chapel in Oakland when she runs into grave robbers in the cemetery outside. Meanwhile, she also hearing rumors that a reproduction inside might be the real thing. As always this was a fun romp with likeable characters. I could turn the pages fast enough.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Cindy
Feb 03, 2015 Cindy rated it liked it
Really 2.5-3. Female protagonist, Annie, makes choice after choice that leads her deeper and deeper into danger. Plus she didn't change clothes for TWO days after dumpster diving (yes, she did get a shower during this time) and never once considered replacing her cell phone (lost early on) which could have allowed her to call for help. What kind of modern woman is this? Probably done with this series. I love my cozy mysteries...relaxing entertainment...but even I have limits!
Jamie
May 19, 2013 Jamie rated it it was ok
Amy was right, very cheesy dialogue. The fake French accent that Annie's grandpa put on was my favorite-yes, it was written as "Zey air such clowns. Zey sink zey can catch..." It just made me laugh. I have tromped through "Bayview" Cemetery (Mountain View Cemetery) many times and have had the pleasure of once going through the beautiful Chapel of the Chimes, which is right next door. That the book was set locally featuring these places was it's only redeeming quality.
Amy
Mar 30, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
the dialogue is terrible--filled with cheesy cliches--and the story and character relationships are way more complicated than they need to be. but the story revolves around the chapel of the chimes and the mountain view cemetery in oakland and includes interesting historical information, and i enjoy any story that has characters running around oakland, berkeley and san francisco, so overall it was a fun read.
Terry
Third in the Art Lover's Mystery series is a fun romp through the hills of Oakland and S.F. Annie Kincaid is an art restorer, gifted--but reformed from--art forgery, and magnet for quirky friends and odd murders. Easy, beach read--with a bonus that you learn a bit about art history and a lot about the Bay Area. Reminded me of Jennifer Crusie's Faking It. Perfect for pre-Bouchercon reading!
Glenn Harris
Jan 25, 2013 Glenn Harris rated it really liked it
This is a well-written and fun series featuring faux finisher and amateur art sleuth Annie Kincaid. My one complaint is that every plot requires her to make several totally boneheaded decisions when she otherwise appears to be an intelligent woman. I hate that. Only one more book in the series (as of right now, anyway) and I look forward to it nevertheless.
J
Jun 01, 2008 J rated it liked it
MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS.

Light "niche" mystery series is the genre. Liked this well enough to go back and look up other titles in series. Heroine Annie Kinkaid is a smart, devil-may-care muralist in Bay area who has madcap adventures in which she doesn't try to be, but always ends up as, a sleuth. Fun byplay w. Frank, landlord of building where Annie's studio is located. They finally kiss (twice)!
Meredith Galman
Aug 26, 2007 Meredith Galman rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
Cute, never especially challenging mystery about forger-turned-faux finisher Annie Kincaid. Annie's reasons for not going to the police aren't especially plausible, but (as with the Stephanie Plum books), the largest suspension of disbelief is required to believe that the ditsy, average-looking Annie could hook two such smokin' hot men.
Judy
Oct 02, 2007 Judy rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is the third in the series. Unfortunately, I accidentally skipped the second, so this had some gaps for me. Entertaining, light - I don't know how much more of this series I will read, but it has a Bay Area setting and a lot about art/art history/art forgery, which keeps hooking me in.
Ginger
Dec 06, 2013 Ginger rated it liked it
I'm confused... who is Juliet Blackwell? My book cover author is Hailey Lind? Curious? This is the second in this series that I have read, totally entertaining and fun, kind of like the "Cat Who" books except the heroine is an artist.
Denise M. Hartman
Oct 15, 2011 Denise M. Hartman rated it liked it
Enjoyed peeking into the art world of Oakland Ca., both the legitimate art and the imitations. It seemed like a different sort of subject and setting for a mystery and enjoyed that as well. Character were unique and caught the imagination. A good light read.
SueEllen
Nov 12, 2014 SueEllen rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series of books. I found Annie and her involvement in murders/mysteries surrounding the art world much more believable than those books set in bakeries, restaurants, knitting shops, etc. However, the author's name change had me confused for a bit!
Tracey
The first book in this series would have to be the best so far.

'Brush with Death' was an 'okay' mystery and but I was just wanting to get to the end. Mostly I have enjoyed the character developments in the last two books and I still enjoy Annie's perspective.
Deb Yates Bunnell
Jan 27, 2014 Deb Yates Bunnell rated it liked it
Nice, light mind candy...but little character development. Some mystery but a few too many coincidence to help resolve things
Leta Smith
Jul 09, 2015 Leta Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read

Fast moving and hilarious images. Forgeries are ever present in the art world, a sad truth but makes for a great story.
Patty
Mar 26, 2013 Patty rated it liked it
Either the authors are getting better or I am going soft. This was the best one yet in the series. Pete, Annie's Bosnian friend speaks an hysterical form of English malapropism.
  • Feint Of Art (An Art Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Nine Lives Last Forever (The Cats and Curios Mystery Series, #2)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • The Ghost and the Bogus Bestseller (Haunted Bookshop Mystery #6)
  • Paper-Thin Alibi (Craft Corner, #3)
  • Dial Om for Murder (Mantra for Murder, #2)
  • Let's Play Dead (Museum, #2)
  • Pinned for Murder (A Southern Sewing Circle, #3)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Trouble Under the Tree (Nina Quinn, #6)
  • The Flaming Luau of Death (Madeline Bean, #7)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Motif for Murder (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #4)
  • Finished Off (Bellehaven House #2)
  • Cooking Up Trouble (Angie Amalfi, #3)
  • The Bernini Bust (Jonathan Argyll, #3)
  • The Long Stitch Good Night (An Embroidery Mystery, #4)
  • Sealed with a Kill (A Decoupage Mystery, #3)
Juliet Blackwell (aka Julie Goodson-Lawes, aka Hailey Lind) started out life in Palo Alto, California, born of a Texan mother and a Yankee father. The family soon moved to what were, at the time, the sticks of Cupertino, an hour south of San Francisco. Walking to and from kindergarten every day she would indulge in her earliest larcenous activity: stealing walnuts and apricots from surrounding orc ...more
More about Juliet Blackwell...

An Art Lover's Mystery (4 books)
  • Feint Of Art (An Art Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Shooting Gallery (An Art Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Arsenic and Old Paint (An Art Lover's Mystery, #4)