Start by marking “Rune” as Want to Read:
Rune

Rune

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  172 ratings  ·  12 reviews
When his father, his secretary, and even the thief who stole his car die under grisly circumstances, advertising executive Harry Buckingham comes under investigation and must go undercover to clear his name. Reprint. PW.
Published February 5th 1998 by Time Warner Paperbacks (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Rune, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rune

Philip Jackson
This is an early novel from the pen of Fowler, and although it features his most famous creations, the detectives Arthur Bryant and John May, it doesn't form part of the official Bryant and May canon. It's a clever, fast paced thriller/horror in which people are 'persuaded' to commit suicide through the use of subliminal runic messages. The body count is high, as victims fall prey to horrific visions created by the rune curses. Fowler acknowledges MR James' 'Casting the Runes' as part inspiratio ...more
Soho_black
The afterword to this novel provides an interesting insight into Christopher Fowler. He admits to becoming excited when Hollywood bought the film rights, less so when they started to make changes, and angry when they removed his favourite parts. He closes by saying that “I’ll be the first to wince when the cheerleader kills the talking snake.” Needless to say, neither appear in the novel, and he is clearly looking forward to seeing what a mess Hollywood can make of this book as much as I am. Not ...more
Pat
Before reading "Rune", I had only read Christopher Fowler's books about the Peculiar Crimes Unit starring detectives Arthur Bryant and John May. The two detectives appear in this book, but they aren't the main characters.
The story is a very tangled web between mythological beliefs from the past and modern technology. There is every kind of death imaginable and terror enough to go around. Very interesting!
Jon
Rune is a supernatural thriller by Christopher Fowler and the first book to feature his famous police detectives Arthur Bryant and John May. However, it is not part of that series. Overall, the novel was suspenseful and engrossing, but the premise was just a little too over the top with too many cliches.
Dean Jones
Rune made me a Fowler fan. I enjoyed my first glimpse of Bryant and May. The story was well written and kept a good exciting pace. I enjoyed it and would read it again.
Abs007
And a half.
Bob
Set in London, a pair of old time dectives are trying to solve a series of apparant suicides when they discover that they may be caused by the victims exposure to sumliminal runes sent by a mega corporation whos head is trying to establish a hidden means of controlling the piblic's attitude. Interesting idea reasonably well done.
Lora
Even though I finished this, I'm not sure why! Written in 1990, it's another end-of-the-millennium Armageddon novel about corporations using "evil runes" to kill off their enemies. Pretty far-fetched, but I wanted to see how many more inventive ways to kill people the author could come up with so I had to finish it. Lame.
Caley (Katie) Kleczka
Apr 15, 2010 Caley (Katie) Kleczka rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of a certain Japanese horror film
Does the corporate world have an insidious side that is attempting to take its clandestine and rather evil activities multinational? Fowler breaths some real life into the idea. Part detective, part urban horror story, it's well worth a read.
Bradley
Bland horror set in London. I personally found Harry Potter scarier than this story. I want to be scared in horror. This one did not do it. =(
Tammy
Average read elevated by chilling death scenes.
Elizabeth Periale
casting the runes...
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Mary-Jane
Mary-Jane marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Deborah Miller
Deborah Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2015
Kerry
Kerry added it
Dec 29, 2014
Craig Dixon
Craig Dixon marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Hilde Haeleydt
Hilde Haeleydt marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Stormytiggs
Stormytiggs marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Contemporary Brit...: Rune 1 5 Feb 23, 2013 11:35PM
  • Candlenight
  • The Starry Wisdom: A Tribute To H.P. Lovecraft
  • Blood Heritage (Ettison, #1)
  • A is for Alien
  • New Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
  • The Book of Common Dread: A Novel of the Infernal (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • Poems from The Lord of the Rings
  • There and Back Again: The Map of the Hobbit
  • Murder (Mayhem, #2)
  • Conan the Rebel
  • The Equivoque Principle (Cornelius Quaint Chronicles, #1)
  • Midnight Sun: The Complete Stories of Kane
  • The Deluge
  • Night Arrant (Greyhawk: Gord the Rogue, #2)
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • The Lure of the Basilisk
  • Mind the Gap (Hidden Cities, #1)
  • More Than Two: A practical guide to ethical polyamory
Christopher Fowler is an English novelist living in London, his books contain elements of black comedy, anxiety and social satire. As well as novels, he writes short stories, scripts, press articles and reviews.

He lives in King's Cross, on the Battlebridge Basin, and chooses London as the backdrop of many of his stories because any one of the events in its two thousand year history can provide ins
More about Christopher Fowler...
Full Dark House (Bryant & May, #1) The Water Room (Bryant & May, # 2) The Victoria Vanishes (Bryant & May, # 6) Seventy-Seven Clocks (Bryant & May, # 3) Ten Second Staircase (Bryant & May, # 4)