Where I Must Go: A Novel

Where I Must Go: A Novel

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  6 ratings  ·  4 reviews
Lyrical, penetrating, and highly charged, this novel displays a delicately tuned sense of difference and belonging. Poet Angela Jackson brings her superb sense of language and of human possibility to the story of young Magdalena Grace, whose narration takes readers through both privilege and privation at the time of the American civil rights movement.

The novel moves from t...more
Published September 30th 2009 by Triquarterly (first published June 28th 2009)

University of Chicago Magazine
Angela Jackson, AM’95
Author

From our pages (Mar–Apr/10): "This partly autobiographical novel presents the American civil-rights movement through the eyes of narrator Magdalena Grace, a 17-year-old African American student at the mostly white, Midwestern, Eden University in 1967. Through a series of vignettes, Jackson’s character relays her own late-adolescent experiences amid racial and class-based tensions in the late 1960s."
Srplymate
Apr 01, 2010 Srplymate is currently reading it
Angela is the sister of a great family friend of ours, Prentiss Jackson. Every word holds meaning and the sentences are strung together to create a powerful story. I have heard this is also somewhat autobiographical, which makes it even more interesting to get a glimpse into Mrs. Jackson's life.
Ann
This one took me a bit of time to get into. The writing style is quite different. It seems trite to say that it's poetic, but I don't really know how else to describe it. The flow of the language is as enjoyable as the storyline and it certainly gives an extra dimension to the book.
Clifford
This is a moving, lyrical novel about a difficult time. I recommend it to anyone who wants to understand America.
Marty
Marty marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2013
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2013
Sarah Hiscock
Sarah Hiscock marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2012
James
James is currently reading it
Aug 10, 2012
Pamela
Pamela is currently reading it
Jul 01, 2012
Michael Strode
Michael Strode marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2011
Linda Posner
Linda Posner is currently reading it
Sep 13, 2011
quatina Rockmore
quatina Rockmore marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2011
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2011
Nancy Mcdaniel
Nancy Mcdaniel marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2011
Patty Schneider Swalley
Patty Schneider Swalley marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2010
abcdefg
abcdefg marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2010
Yasmin
Yasmin marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2010
Tara Betts
Tara Betts marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2010
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2010
Pam
Pam added it
Apr 03, 2010
Katrina
Katrina is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2010
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2010
Mindy
Mindy marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2009
The Emergence of Judy Taylor The Emergence of Judy Taylor Dark Legs and Silk Kisses: The Beatitudes of the Spinners And All These Roads be Luminous: Poems Selected and New Warm Earth