Start by marking “A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)

A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard #6)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  21 reviews

A quiet life at Withysham with her young daughter is all that widowed Ursula Blanchard desires. But as the waiting woman and spy for Queen Elizabeth I, she forfeits her needs for the sake of those she is pledged to protect -- even at her own peril....

Ursula's relatives enlist her help when her cousin, Edward Faldene, heads to Scotland carrying a dangerous weapon: a secr

Published October 28th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Pawn for a Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pawn for a Queen

Silent in the Grave by Deanna RaybournCocaine Blues by Kerry GreenwoodThe Cater Street Hangman by Anne PerryAnd Only to Deceive by Tasha AlexanderDeath by Water by Kerry Greenwood
Sleuths in Silks
19th out of 85 books — 17 voters
The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Help by Kathryn StockettA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Best Historical Fiction of the 21st Century
308th out of 651 books — 1,617 voters

More lists with this book...

Gretchen
One of the best things about books in a series is the development of characters. This is the sixth novel featuring Ursula Blanchard and I have seen little development from her. In the first novel the reader is promised a woman who is intelligent, full of wit, and determined to a fault. Ursula is determined to a fault but the intelligence and wit seem to fade with each passing novel.

I don't know if the "bad boy" complex existed in the 16th century but Ursula sure makes me think it did. Clearly
Michelle
(3.5 stars) The sixth book in the series closely follows the events in the fifth book, but starts with a snapshot from near the end of the book with Ursula at a wedding ceremony. Going back, Ursula meets with her aunt and uncle and agrees to go to Scotland to try to get her cousin Edward back before he commits an act that would be considered treason to England, by providing Mary, Queen of Scots a list of families that are loyal to her cause. She goes without notifying either Queen Elizabeth or h ...more
Denise
Ursula Blanchard's Catholic cousin, Edward Faldene, has ridden off to Scotland and his parents and young wife enlist Ursula to follow and convince him to return home. He carries a list of English nobles who have pledged support for Mary, Queen of Scots. They believe that Mary is the true queen and may wish to cause an uprising to put her on the English throne. Such actions are treasonous if discovered by Queen Elizabeth and Ursula must keep her efforts secret and work with only her tiring woman, ...more
Lalla
This novel is part of the series that features Ursula Blanchard, a lady in waiting to Queen Elizabeth. The plot involves intrigue that sends Ursula to Scotland and a meeting with Mary, Queen of Scots. The reader is brought up to speed on the political climate of this historical period through the story. The author describes the settings of the story very well and leaves the reader looking foroward to the next adventure in the series.
Moonmomie
I enjoy Elizabethan Historical Fiction, which is what brought me to this series. I had never been interested in any kind of mysteries up until reading these books. They were a complete surprise to me. The plots in all of the Ursula Blanchard Mysteries are rich and fun, the characters are interesting and complex. I really loved this entire series of books.
Janet
I like Scotland, so it was great to hang out with Mary and her court for a while. This was one of Buckley’s stronger offerings, except for the very end when Ursula finds out who her father was. It’s so “I can’t believe the author would stoop to this tired ploy” that I was more than a little disgusted. Talk about a convenient out…
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
This is a great series set in Queen Elizabeth's court. Buckley takes several real historical mysteries and asks what if... Worth reading for a strong interesting heroine that while sometimes needing rescue is rather good at figuring out her own options given the limited options available to women of the time.
Angelique
This is my second favorite book of the series...somehow I think there will be a sequel. Finally Ursula begins to understand the importance of family and her connection to Elizabeth in spite of her current actions. Lovely views of Northumberland and the border castles.
Kathie H
Dec 09, 2009 Kathie H rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
I enjoy the Ursula Blanchard mysteries so much! This was just great. I loved the ending! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series. I daydream about being at Queen Elizabeth I's court after reading Fiona Buckley's books.
Joe
Tell me its not over..
Please. please let there be more.

Fiona Buckley has a wonderful character in Ursala.

I think this one might be the last.
[I hope not]
Julie
Still very enjoyable, but there were hints of a very Perils of Pauline-esque plot to this one that I found boggling. Good ending, though.
Frederique
Too complicated for my taste. I didn't read the first book so it was a little hard to understand this one.
Misty
Abducted by a Scotsman! Great reading. I adore Ursula.
Ann
I enjoy this series when I'm in-between reads.
Ellie
Jan 03, 2008 Ellie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians looking for a bit o'fun
A quick and fun jaunt into Elizabethan England.
Jill
Great medieval mystery series.
Tami Greaney
Auntie J
Oct 14, 2012 Auntie J marked it as to-read-next-in-series
6th in the series.
Rebecca Heisler
Rebecca Heisler marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Wraith Tate
Wraith Tate marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Kristen Ray
Kristen Ray marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Sarah Dactyl
Sarah Dactyl marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Sabrina The Book Lover
Sabrina The Book Lover marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
N I
N I marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
  • The Poyson Garden (Elizabeth I, #1)
  • The Sempster's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #15)
  • Face Down Under the Wych Elm (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #5)
  • The Outcast Dove (Catherine LeVendeur, #9)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo ...more
More about Fiona Buckley...
To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1) The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2) Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3) To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4) Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)