Start by marking “A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #6)

A Pawn for a Queen (Ursula Blanchard #6)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  430 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

A quiet life at Withysham with her young daughter is all that widowed Ursula Blanchard desires. But as the waiting woman and spy for Queen Elizabeth I, she forfeits her needs for the sake of those she is pledged to protect -- even at her own peril....

Ursula's relatives enlist her help when her cousin, Edward Faldene, heads to Scotland carrying a dangerous weapon: a secr

Published October 28th 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Pawn for a Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pawn for a Queen

Cocaine Blues by Kerry GreenwoodSilent in the Grave by Deanna RaybournThe Girl with Ghost Eyes by M.H. BorosonAnd Only to Deceive by Tasha AlexanderCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters
Sleuths in Silks
24th out of 144 books — 34 voters
The Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakA Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled HosseiniThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory
Best Historical Fiction of the 21st Century
336th out of 871 books — 2,016 voters

More lists with this book...

Richard Stueber
Dec 23, 2015 Richard Stueber rated it really liked it
Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche sets of to Scotland without royal permission. Her first cousin Edward Faldene is carrying a list of English supporters to Mary Queen of Scots. Before she catches up with him he is murdered. Much of the novel is about tracking down the guilty party, but Ursula is also fending off the amorous advances of Sir Brian Dormbois who wants to marry Ursula by any means, fair or foul.
In the meantime Ursula gets to meet Mary Queen of Scots who makes a wonderful impressi
Gretchen
Dec 04, 2014 Gretchen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tudor-fiction
One of the best things about books in a series is the development of characters. This is the sixth novel featuring Ursula Blanchard and I have seen little development from her. In the first novel the reader is promised a woman who is intelligent, full of wit, and determined to a fault. Ursula is determined to a fault but the intelligence and wit seem to fade with each passing novel.

I don't know if the "bad boy" complex existed in the 16th century but Ursula sure makes me think it did. Clearly
Michelle
(3.5 stars) The sixth book in the series closely follows the events in the fifth book, but starts with a snapshot from near the end of the book with Ursula at a wedding ceremony. Going back, Ursula meets with her aunt and uncle and agrees to go to Scotland to try to get her cousin Edward back before he commits an act that would be considered treason to England, by providing Mary, Queen of Scots a list of families that are loyal to her cause. She goes without notifying either Queen Elizabeth or h ...more
Valerie K
Jul 21, 2015 Valerie K rated it really liked it
Man, I'm just ripping through these! This one may be the best yet, it's full of suspense and intrigue. They all are, but this one amps it up a even more. I'm not going to type any more because I want to start reading book #7. I'm more than hooked, I'm addicted.
Denise
Jul 01, 2011 Denise rated it really liked it
Ursula Blanchard's Catholic cousin, Edward Faldene, has ridden off to Scotland and his parents and young wife enlist Ursula to follow and convince him to return home. He carries a list of English nobles who have pledged support for Mary, Queen of Scots. They believe that Mary is the true queen and may wish to cause an uprising to put her on the English throne. Such actions are treasonous if discovered by Queen Elizabeth and Ursula must keep her efforts secret and work with only her tiring woman, ...more
Lalla
Jul 13, 2013 Lalla rated it really liked it
This novel is part of the series that features Ursula Blanchard, a lady in waiting to Queen Elizabeth. The plot involves intrigue that sends Ursula to Scotland and a meeting with Mary, Queen of Scots. The reader is brought up to speed on the political climate of this historical period through the story. The author describes the settings of the story very well and leaves the reader looking foroward to the next adventure in the series.
Moonmomie
Nov 17, 2008 Moonmomie rated it it was amazing
I enjoy Elizabethan Historical Fiction, which is what brought me to this series. I had never been interested in any kind of mysteries up until reading these books. They were a complete surprise to me. The plots in all of the Ursula Blanchard Mysteries are rich and fun, the characters are interesting and complex. I really loved this entire series of books.
Janet
May 09, 2009 Janet rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I like Scotland, so it was great to hang out with Mary and her court for a while. This was one of Buckley’s stronger offerings, except for the very end when Ursula finds out who her father was. It’s so “I can’t believe the author would stoop to this tired ploy” that I was more than a little disgusted. Talk about a convenient out…
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
Jun 10, 2011 Charlotte Osborn-bensaada rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a great series set in Queen Elizabeth's court. Buckley takes several real historical mysteries and asks what if... Worth reading for a strong interesting heroine that while sometimes needing rescue is rather good at figuring out her own options given the limited options available to women of the time.
Angelique
Jan 24, 2009 Angelique rated it it was amazing
This is my second favorite book of the series...somehow I think there will be a sequel. Finally Ursula begins to understand the importance of family and her connection to Elizabeth in spite of her current actions. Lovely views of Northumberland and the border castles.
Kathie H
Dec 09, 2009 Kathie H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults on up
I enjoy the Ursula Blanchard mysteries so much! This was just great. I loved the ending! I'm looking forward to reading the next in the series. I daydream about being at Queen Elizabeth I's court after reading Fiona Buckley's books.
Joe
Aug 11, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it
Tell me its not over..
Please. please let there be more.

Fiona Buckley has a wonderful character in Ursala.

I think this one might be the last.
[I hope not]
Julie
Still very enjoyable, but there were hints of a very Perils of Pauline-esque plot to this one that I found boggling. Good ending, though.
Frederique
Too complicated for my taste. I didn't read the first book so it was a little hard to understand this one.
Misty
Aug 31, 2010 Misty rated it really liked it
Abducted by a Scotsman! Great reading. I adore Ursula.
Ann
Sep 12, 2009 Ann rated it liked it
I enjoy this series when I'm in-between reads.
Ellie
Jan 03, 2008 Ellie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historians looking for a bit o'fun
A quick and fun jaunt into Elizabethan England.
Jill
Dec 14, 2007 Jill rated it really liked it
Great medieval mystery series.
Tami Greaney
Alexandra
Oct 14, 2012 Alexandra marked it as to-read-next-in-series
6th in the series.
Deb Trantina
Deb Trantina rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Dani
Dani added it
Jun 11, 2016
Lita Romero
Lita Romero marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Christie
Christie rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2016
Sharon
Sharon marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
Iline
Iline rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2016
Jahnna
Jahnna added it
May 31, 2016
  • The Queene's Cure (Elizabeth I, #4)
  • Face Down Among the Winchester Geese (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #3)
  • The Sempster's Tale (Sister Frevisse, #15)
  • The Difficult Saint (Catherine LeVendeur, #6)
  • Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)
Valerie Anand is a British author of historical fiction. Under the pen name Fiona Buckley she writes the series of historical mysteries, set in the reign of Elizabeth I of England, featuring "Ursula Blanchard" (whose full name is Ursula Faldene Blanchard de la Roche Stannard). Under her own name she writes historical fiction based on the royalty of England and the Bridges over Time series which fo ...more
More about Fiona Buckley...

Ursula Blanchard (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • To Shield the Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #1)
  • The Doublet Affair (Ursula Blanchard, #2)
  • Queen's Ransom (Ursula Blanchard, #3)
  • To Ruin A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #4)
  • Queen of Ambition (Ursula Blanchard, #5)
  • The Fugitive Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #7)
  • The Siren Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #8)
  • Queen Without a Crown (Ursula Blanchard, #9)
  • Queen's Bounty (Ursula Blanchard, #10)
  • A Rescue For A Queen (Ursula Blanchard, #11)