Start by marking “Will Eisner Reader: Seven Graphic Stories by a Comics Master” as Want to Read:
Will Eisner Reader: Seven Graphic Stories by a Comics Master

Will Eisner Reader: Seven Graphic Stories by a Comics Master

A collection of brilliant short-story gems, including "A Sunset in Sunshine City"—an ode to memory and nostalgia inspired by Eisner's transition to life in Florida after his "retirement" in 1985.
Published December 1st 2000 by DC Comics (first published January 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Will Eisner Reader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Will Eisner Reader

Cheryl
Apr 23, 2013 Cheryl rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Eisner is a legend in the comic world but I am not sure this collection of short graphic stories is a good showcase. While the first one was interesting, there is an uneven quality to the remainder that make me feel like I was missing some key reference points. Because of this, I have rated it 3 stars -- the artwork does add a lot to otherwise flat tales.
Mary Overton
"After a lifetime of anonymity spent in the middle Bronx - an uneventful youth spent in concrete school yards where he was a 'left-out' of choose-up games - and after 25 years as an unnoticed clerk at the city's parole board, Max Million, a lonely bachelor, finally retired. Whereupon he applied for a license as a private investigator." pg. 40

Opening line for a whimsical tale, "Detective Story: or Necromancy in the Bronx" ... My favorite of 7 light stories.

I also enjoyed "The Long Hit" about a mo
Kim
Nov 18, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Both text and graphics tell gripping stories.

A Sunset in Sunshine City: Henry Klop's retirement leaves a lot to be desired.

The Telephone: Eight one page gags about the telephone.

Detective Story: With some help from the occult, Max Million becomes a detective and tracks down infamaous gangsters.

The Long Hit: 82-year-old retired hitman, Hockielozania, accidentally runs into the one man who escaped him and attempts to fulfill his age-old contract.

winning: Benny runs a marathon to prove himself.

The
Casper
Jun 17, 2013 Casper rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
This book was a gift, by a friend who loves graphic novels. We had a long conversation about famous authors of graphic novels, the ones he likes and the ones I like. One author he likes and I didn’t know about was Will Eisner. The next time I saw him he presented me with a copy of a graphic novel; he had a double. It was called The Will Eisner Reader, containing ‘7 graphic stories by a comics master’.
My experience with graphic novels so far has always been with long works like Maus, Persepolis,
Steve Chaput
Apr 25, 2016 Steve Chaput rated it really liked it
A collection of stories by Eisner that originally appeared in the Will Eisner Quarterly. They range from one page humor pieces that would have been right at home in an issue of Mad Magazine to longer stories featuring the humanity and heart that Eisner introduced to graphic storytelling.

The characters range from wannabe Private Detectives to hit men for the mob and ordinary men and women trying to get through life. It's easy to see the genius that Eisner brought to the medium and why he still in
Maria Ella
Today, I discover the historical komikero whose surname is coined as a prestigious award in every Comic covention. A stamp of his "E" is a great prestige - an esteemed insignia that a graphic novel is haunting and very much gripping.

Both the graphics and his scripts are exquisite - like a panel says so much yet shown so little. That is Will Eisner's magic, really. And this is one of the criteria for a comic book creator to win such an Eisner award.

An awesome read.
Ben
Mar 13, 2010 Ben rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I haven't read any Will Eisner before, so this was my first exposure to his work. I really enjoyed his art, which was slightly cartoony, but clear and descriptive. I'm just not sure it worked with all of the stories. Some of the stories were meant to have more of an emotional depth, but the cartoon characteristics undermined that. The best story was "Telephone", which is just a series of one-page montages of various people getting phone calls.
Ash Connell
Jul 07, 2016 Ash Connell rated it really liked it
A good mix of some of Eisner's non-Spirit works ranging from the humorous to the philosophical. It's interesting to see how much Eisner used panelless pages or panels imposed over a panelless background before it came into popular use.
Sowmya
Jun 06, 2016 Sowmya rated it liked it
Cool drawings!
I missed the intensity of Contract with God series (those are the only other Eisner works I read), but enjoyed reading all the stories (except Winning, which felt a lot like old time movies). One thing I loved in the book is the way memories are drawn.
Molly
Sep 06, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I know I should like this, being Will Eisner and comics master and whatnot, but I found it kind of cheesey and Mad magazine-y (to steal a phrase from Ken).
titusfox
titusfox rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Elizabeth G
Elizabeth G rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Johan
Johan rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2015
Iuliana
Iuliana rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2014
Miriam
Miriam rated it it was amazing
Nov 12, 2008
Mark Glidden
Mark Glidden rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Ero
Oct 05, 2011 Ero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-liberry
deceptively easy-to-read and easy-to-look-at. These stories are lovely and beautifully drawn.
Saleris
Sep 06, 2012 Saleris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read/viewed his work since I was a little girl and am much enriched for it.
Shannon Chenoweth
Shannon Chenoweth rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2008
Rusty
Rusty rated it it was amazing
Nov 27, 2007
TheSqaull17
TheSqaull17 rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Xuuuuuuuuuu
Xuuuuuuuuuu rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Allen Rubinstein
Allen Rubinstein rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2012
Wt
Wt rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Rana Öztürk
Rana Öztürk rated it really liked it
Apr 04, 2014
Torbjørn
Torbjørn rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2012
Hans
Hans rated it it was amazing
Feb 01, 2012
Angela Boyle
Angela Boyle rated it really liked it
Aug 04, 2009
Alan
Alan rated it really liked it
Jun 28, 2014
Gyarradee
Gyarradee rated it liked it
Dec 14, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O
More about Will Eisner...