Start by marking “Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack, #7)” as Want to Read:

Rapture of the Deep: Being an Account of the Further Adventures of Jacky Faber, Soldier, Sailor, Mermaid, Spy (Bloody Jack #7)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  3,997 ratings  ·  296 reviews
On the very day that Jacky Faber is to wed her true love, she is kidnapped by British Naval Intelligence and forced to embark on yet another daring mission—this time to search for sunken Spanish gold. But when Jacky is involved, things don't always go as planned.

Jacky has survived battles on the high seas, the stifling propriety of a Boston finishing school, and even conf
Published September 28th 2009 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rapture of the Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rapture of the Deep

Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerCurse of the Blue Tattoo by L.A. MeyerUnder the Jolly Roger by L.A. MeyerIn the Belly of the Bloodhound by L.A. Meyer
best adventure books
11th out of 129 books — 120 voters
Treasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieBloody Jack by L.A. MeyerPirates! by Celia ReesThe Princess Bride by William Goldman
Pirates!
26th out of 359 books — 486 voters

More lists with this book...

Miss
Anyone else feel like the way Meyer's writes Jacky's sexuality is a getting kind of skeezy? I'm all for Jacky Faber, champion flirter but the way he writes her is coming off as increasingly male gazey. Plus most of her love interests are jackasses, like by now I know if Jacky meets a dude and he's an asshole she'll be probably by making out with him by the end of the book. :/ I think it might not come off so gross if Meyer would let her age properly. There is no way on earth it makes sense for h ...more
Nadine
Bummer, bummer, bummer. I really like Jacky and her adventures, but I don't like her creepy old man author who likes to pepper the text with sexual harassment. The books have been getting more and more explicit, and I think I finally hit my wall. It is too bad because I enjoy the books. I guess I need to get rid of the books so that my kids don't find them, succumb to the fabulous story and read their ways to some old man's fantasy about a 16 year old girl and her much too small swimsuit. Bumme ...more
Emily
Nisha
Considering my distaste with how long L.A. Meyer is dragging on about maintaining Jacky's virginity and her frustrating relationship with British Navy, I loved this book.

Jacky is finally reunited with her beloved Jaimy and they are nearly at the alter getting married, when Jacky is whisked away by the British Naval Intelligence to recover sunken Spanish gold. Supposedly, they are still angry that she didn't kill Napoleon when she had the chance, so her punishment is to abstain from sex until aft
Katie Hutchison Irion
Oh Jacky, I am so flipping sad to know that there are no new books for me to read about your wild adventures, constant flirting, abundant flesh showing, crazy ideas, and fantastic personality. When I finished book 7 I felt like I had lost a friend. I guess I'm just going to have to reread them.
So, if you couldn't tell, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I loves the premise. I loved the location. I loved Higgins. I loved Davey on the ship with her and their constant bickering. I love Higgins. I love
Kathryn
Apr 05, 2012 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Tyler
Another delightful adventure with Jacky Faber, who is now like a very dear friend to me. In this adventure, we find Jacky sent by King George to the waters off Cuba and Key West, diving for sunken Spanish treasure. I will try to avoid spoilers for both this book and for the previous books, and simply say that this was perhaps one of the most enjoyable of Jacky’s adventures because, for the most part, it was fairly cheerful. Aside from a few heart-wrenching moments (one involving a tale told by a ...more
Tara Chevrestt
Sometimes I love Jacky Faber, sometimes I don't. This is a "don't like" episode. I yielded halfway thru. A. Getting too predictable. ONCE AGAIN, Jacky and Jaimy are separated. ONCE AGAIN Jacky is abducted and put to work for the British Intelligence Agency. ONCE AGAIN Jacky is running around singing and dancing in taverns and flirting with numerous fellows. B. I don't care if she had good intentions, she bought a slave. NO NO NO. C. Top that off with Jacky getting involved in cockfighting... Hmp ...more
SheWunders
You know... I just can't help myself... I'm a HUGE Jacky Faber fan. I know the plot is spinning in circles and I just don't care. I'm along for the ride.

Long live Jacky Faber! Forever may she sail!
Jessie
Going through this I started to remember that there were writing flaws in the other books that I had forgotten about since I read the last book two years ago.
Most of it is written in the first person present which impossibly annoying because who wants to read "we are going there, we are so close. yes, we are there." Really? Just really, stream of conscience can go too far. That and Umms in italics when she kisses someone...gross.

And just as far as her as a character she has become really distast
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Bonnie
Just as a note to start, this is one of the best books/series to listen to... Katherine Kellgren is amazing and the accents and music bring the story to life in a way you don't get from reading the print version. So... go listen to it!

This is one of my favorite YA series, which feels weird to say, because I normally can't stand historical fiction. I've also finally caught up to the end of the series, and now have to wait for the next book. Jacky is a phenomenal character and the sort of person I
Lori Twichell
With more adventures, wild crazy schemes and just the right amount of danger, the Rapture of the Deep continues the grand tradition of the Bloody Jack series. As with the previous books, Jacky’s danger level rises considerably and though targeted to 8th grade and up, there are some heavy situations in here that aren’t necessarily appropriate for younger teens. Pretty much the same warning I’ve given throughout the other books applies. Jacky’s adventures aren’t simple, light or easy. She ends up ...more
Katherine
Meyer never fails to deliver an amazing tale of love, adventure, friendship, and the luck of a certain impulsive maiden.

The momment a good friend had thrusted the town library's battered copy of Bloody Jack into my reluctant hands, and commanded me to read the first chapter, I was spellbound.

In a little over a week, I had flashed through the available following books. I ended today, on Rapture of the Deep, starving for the next installment.

Readers will find this series heartwarming. I for one fo
Gemma
While most series start out strong and get progressively more disappointing (and I can name a few), this is not one of them. In fact, Jacky just keeps getting better and better!
Like every other book in this series, you have to find another fan and just start talking about your favorite parts, because you have to have read it to really get why it's the funnest, funniest series ever written. I could hardly breathe for laughing, and in fact I read it twice in five days! There's nothing quite like w
Katherine
I think believe myself to be quite biased in my review of this book, for I have been ready this series since the very first Bloody Jack came to Barnes and Nobles. Being that as it may. . . I LOVE THIS BOOK!! I felt as if I was living this adventure along with Jacky and her crew from England to Boston and then to Florida with the Spaniards. I am not joking when I say I could not put this book down. It however leaves off with much hope for another book, as with the previous installments. I hope th ...more
Mackenzi
JACKY AND JAIMY FOREVER!
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
After being separated then reunited for countless times, Jacky and Jaimy can finally be together, but what was to be the happiest day of their lives, takes an unfortunate turn.

It all started with a girl name Mary who was part of the Rooster Charlie Gang. Then later disguised herself as a boy and thus met her new friends and a boy name Jaimy.

Now we have Jacky getting ready to be married to Jaimy at last As she's set to go to the Church, fate takes another turn and Jacky must embark on yet anothe
Dodie
I was completely set not to like this book - it just seemed a little overstuffed with pirates, intrigue, science, romance, and revenge. But then Jacky Faber's sassy attitude hooked me, and I was soon enjoying this ripping good yarn of a gutter rat turned mercantile opportunist who is off to discover the sunken treasure of the Santa Magdalena. Readers will enjoy visiting ports in London, Boston and Havana with Jacky and her crew.This is the 7th in the Bloody Jack Adventures series.
Cassi aka Snow White Haggard
3.5 Stars. I'm just ready for Jacky & Jaimy to GET MARRIED AND DO IT! Yeah that's cruder than I normally am but Jacky is so free with her affection that I'm just ready now.

I enjoyed Jaimy being in this book, as well as Lord Richard Alan briefly showing up (he's sexiness). Actually the plot of this story was fine. I liked the diving.

I didn't like Aunt Jemima's Brother Rabbit story or the cockfighting. I need more singing & flirting & less of that.
Garren
The high-seas soap opera continues with lots of piracy (and science) in the Caribbean Sea!

I wish Jacky would have intercourse already, let everyone know, and then see if she still has droves of virginity-obsessed men trying to bed her / marry her. I've been discussing the question of "Who is the best partner for Jacky?" with my girlfriend, and--despite the Bachelorette size of her suitor group--we're having a hard time thinking of someone interested in her as a person who will let her live out h
Anna
My least favorite of the series. Full of filler and fluff: Jemima's stories of brother fox and brother rabbit, cockfighting, Jacky singing in the club in Havana. All fluff without moving the story forward. All designed to explain why Jacky and Jamey haven't had sex yet. Where's an editor when you need one?
Cheezcake
I know I haven't read the book yet, but know it deserves a five star rating, as do all the books in this fabulous Bloody Jack series!! I just cannot wait till I can tear up the next book and dicover what happens next to Jacky! God, the 28th August seems so far away- I want to read that book NOW!
LadyCroft86
Nicole
i read about half way into this book and then skipped to the end. you really don't miss much in between. same formula as the other books and jacky and jamie are still not together. can barely type through the frustration....
Chris Aylott
Jacky goes treasure-hunting for a sunken ship in the Caribbean, and the usual outrageous hijinks ensue. I have a few complaints: the old scuba diver in me isn't so sure about Jacky's bottom time, a new old pirate friend pops up in a way that sent me flipping through previous plot summaries trying to remember him, and Jaimy's a bit of a drip when he gets to spend more then ten minutes in Jacky's presence. Those two need to be kept apart, for their own and the reader's good.

On the other hand, you'
Sandy D.
Entertaining, but without the depth of some of the previous books in the series. Recommended for the winter months in the northern temperate zone, when reading about Key West & Havana would be fabulous.
Sam
I, too, am getting a bit tired of all of the sexual innuendo regarding Jacky and any male in the vicinity. Also, Jaime is shaping up to be a bit of a stuffed shirt. I would rather see Jacky with Richard Allen in these books as his character is the most compatible with Jacky.

That said, The only way to enjoy this book, and the rest of the series, is by listening to the audio books performed by Katherine Kellgren. It is like listening to an old fashioned radio show, Ms Kellgren performs all the vo
Anberlin
Loved this book as well, especially the diving parts, granted the obstacles that are hurled in Jacky's and Jaimy's way are getting too cliched but the crazy adventures make up for it. I read it foremost for the adventure, and hilarity, not for the romance which is more of a running subplot. Anyway, the action is as always non-stop entertaining in this book with fresh new lands (and seas!) to explore.

On what some of the other reviews have said about the sexual undertones in the books and the atta
Qnpoohbear
Jacky's back in the arms of her beloved Jaimy and they are soon to be wed but of course they are again separated, this time by the British Intelligence who have a score to settle with Jacky and whisk her off to a secret mission in the Caribbean to dive for buried Spanish treasure. Jacky embarks on her latest adventure on the Nancy B. Alsop with her crew and some new characters. Jacky must contend with a wooden diving bell, cock fights, romantic and treacherous pirates and a wicked Spaniard. All ...more
Emily Duncan
I freakin' love Jacky Faber. Seriously i have been reading these books for as long as i can remember.
Rapture of the Deep is the 7th book in the series (7th!? can you believe that!? i can't!!) this one following Jacky after she was kidnapped by the British intelligance office on the very day she was to (finally) wed Officer James Fletcher (awwww i love Jaimy :]) To settle her debt with the king of England (for pirating in previous books) she's recruited to dive for Spanish gold off the coast of A
Brer Rabbit stories 2 12 Aug 23, 2013 03:34AM
  • The Case of the Bizarre Bouquets (Enola Holmes Mysteries, #3)
  • Pirates!
  • Piratica: Being a Daring Tale of a Singular Girl's Adventure Upon the High Seas (Piratica, #1)
  • Boston Jane: An Adventure (Boston Jane, #1)
  • The Body at the Tower (The Agency, #2)
  • Alchemy and Meggy Swann
  • The Princetta
  • The Pirate Queen: The Story of Grace O'Malley, Irish Pirate
  • Beat the Band (Swim the Fly, #2)
  • Den of Thieves (Cat Royal, #3)
  • Star-Crossed (Patricia MacPherson Nautical Adventures, #1)
  • The Pirate Captain's Daughter
  • Revenge of the Rose
  • To Catch a Pirate
  • Sister to the Wolf
  • Tigerheart
  • The FitzOsbornes in Exile (The Montmaray Journals, #2)
Louis A. Meyer is best known as the author of the Bloody Jack novels. He is also a painter and the author of two children's picture books, and he and his wife own an art gallery called Clair de Loon in Bar Harbor.

Louis A. Meyer passed away on July 29, 2014 from refractory Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His final Jacky Faber book, Wild Rover No More, will be published posthumously in September.
More about L.A. Meyer...
Bloody Jack: Being an Account of the Curious Adventures of Mary "Jacky" Faber, Ship's Boy (Bloody Jack, #1) Curse of the Blue Tattoo: Being an Account of the Misadventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman and Fine Lady (Bloody Jack, #2) Under the Jolly Roger: Being an Account of the Further Nautical Adventures of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #3) In the Belly of the Bloodhound: Being an Account of a Particularly Peculiar Adventure in the Life of Jacky Faber (Bloody Jack, #4) Mississippi Jack: Being an Account of the Further Waterborne Adventures of Jacky Faber, Midshipman, Fine Lady, and Lily of the West (Bloody Jack, #5)

“When in Boston, I shall be able to take you out to dinner, if not to bed. I should greatly prefer the latter, but I must accept my lot.” 9 likes
“Why, then?" I demand. "It is because, Miss Faber," says Mr. Peel, smiling one of his very rare smiles. "It is because you can swim." What?” 5 likes