Start by marking “Spain” as Want to Read:
Spain

Spain

3.65  ·  Rating Details  ·  85 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Passionate, evocative and beautifully written, Spain is a companion to the country: its people, its history--and its character. First published in 1964 and now with a new introduction, Jan Morris's classic works brings Spain, its glory and its tragedy, vividly to life.
Published August 7th 2008 by Faber & Faber (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Spain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spain

Mark Colenutt
Aug 28, 2013 Mark Colenutt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a one-stop read on Spain. Probably no book this short can offer as much insight and you have Morris' writing style as well. Naturally, the country has an enormous history from its Iberian settlement through it phases of Phoenician and Greek development spurred on by Mediterranean trade. Then it became Rome's most important outpost after the Carthiginian's were finally defeated just outside Seville. Then Rome delcined and fell opening the way for the occupations by Germanic tribes. Follow ...more
emszy
May 19, 2015 emszy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's rare for me to give up on a book but I found this one long winded and boring. A "let's see how many lovely ways I can describe Spain" rather than anything historically interesting, maybe it got better.
theduckthief
Oct 07, 2008 theduckthief rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like travel literature
"Spain is one of the absolutes. Most States nowadays are willy-nilly passive, subject always to successive alien forces. Spain still declines in the active mood. She is not a great Power, but in her minor way she is one of the prime movers still - still a nation that sets its own standards." - page 22

Jan Morris, travel writer extraordinaire shows us an in-depth look at Spain in which we traverse time and space, examining the rich and varied history of the country. We are exposed to Spain's trium
Luis GC
Oct 23, 2015 Luis GC rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Curioso.

No se si habrán "corregido" algo en ediciones posteriores, pero en la mía ( del 64c revisado en el 79) se mostraban todos los topicazos que tenían de nosotros en el exterior, de manera bestial. Ahora no recuerdo ejemplos pero lo releeré en algún momento porque recuerdo que algunos me impactaron.

Aún recuerdo perfectamente cuando y como lo leí. Estaba de vacaciones en Calpe (Alicante) en un piso alquilado con otros dos amigos. Ellos se acostaron tras una noche de copas y yo rebusqué en las
Nick Sweeney
Sep 27, 2012 Nick Sweeney rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I find Jan Morris's writing fascinating in general. I loved her 'Trieste and the Meaning of Nowhere'. I read it in Trieste, and I think, Trieste being a relatively small place, albeit with a fascinating history, she managed to cover everything of interest in a reasonably short book.

Spain, the depth and breadth and width of it, and its kings and queens and empires, the Civil War, its encroaching into what is now South America, deserved a much longer book, really. How do you do justice to it in a
Thanakorn
Oct 29, 2015 Thanakorn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great book on the mentality of a Spain that was moving away from Franco's time but somewhat outdated.
Roger Buck
Aug 09, 2014 Roger Buck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful, poetic insight into the Soul of Spain. The best book on Spain I know, which helped me understand that great Catholic culture when I lived there. By contrast, my own paltry in comparison writings on Catholic Spain can be found here:

Martha
Sep 05, 2014 Martha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
1964 non-fiction: very dry; would have been helpful to travelers before era of packages & loads of travel literature
Rob Innis
Sep 06, 2013 Rob Innis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyable, informative well observed and written with a concise informative style. OK it was first published in 1964 so it is now a book of social as well as actual history. It fills a gap between earlier Brenan and Lee books (20s and 30s respectively)and more recent books on Spain.
Quite eye opening how behind things were in Spain in the 60s even though it is now 50 years ago.

Nick Benson
Jun 03, 2013 Nick Benson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it a lot, but I'm not sure I would have done if I were Spanish. (eg she thinks that being subject to an autocrat - written not long after Franco had died - suits the national character - though she does hope that she's wrong and that democracy will take hold). Spain as magnificent, austere, proud, martial, entranced by death.
Peter Jordan
Feb 26, 2016 Peter Jordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: spain
The first book by Morris that I've read and what a lovely read. So thoughtful and well written. On balance, a rather negative view of the Spanish though.
Mike
May 21, 2015 Mike rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The writing is just a meandering over romanced jumble. Read Wikipedia instead for a history lesson.
Cecily
Mar 25, 2008 Cecily is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Chinese copy
Shane Nixon
Shane Nixon is currently reading it
Apr 27, 2016
rêveur d'art
rêveur d'art marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2016
Oleksandra Turovska
Oleksandra Turovska marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2016
Francesca
Francesca rated it liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Rachel
Rachel is currently reading it
Mar 18, 2016
Maureen Bamsey
Maureen Bamsey is currently reading it
Mar 03, 2016
Chris Jones
Chris Jones rated it liked it
Feb 24, 2016
Vanessa
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Nancy Olive
Nancy Olive rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Micaela Gerhardt
Micaela Gerhardt marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Gill Smith
Gill Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2016
Maurine
Maurine marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it it was ok
Jan 18, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 20, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Hispanophiles: Sp...: Spain - Jan Morris, a book review 4 13 Sep 06, 2013 12:58PM
Jan Morris previously wrote under the name "James Morris".

Jan Morris is a British historian, author and travel writer. Morris was educated at Lancing College, West Sussex, and Christ Church, Oxford, but is Welsh by heritage and adoption. Before 1970 Morris published under her former name, "James Morris", and is known particularly for the Pax Britannica trilogy, a history of the British Empire, and
More about Jan Morris...