Start by marking “Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate” as Want to Read:
Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate

Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate

"The perfect guide for both beginners and more advanced players."
Published April 15th 2001 by Kingfisher (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Chess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chess

midnightfaerie
Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate by Daniel King (pun intended?) was an excellent book. At first I had misgivings, I'm embarrassed to admit, because of the size and shape of the book. Usually books that are thinner and larger in size are mostly made for good illustrations, which this most certainly had, but with less meaningful content. This wasn't so. For a beginner, like myself, it had great and very helpful content. It started with the basics but quickly moved to strategic moves and proble ...more
Josiphine
Jan 03, 2017 Josiphine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
My little brother's chess reign of terror ends here.
David Natiuk
Feb 21, 2011 David Natiuk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, chess
This was a great mix of beginning chess instruction, some introductory puzzles, and a little on the history and drama of chess champions through the ages. My favorite part of the book was indeed the overview of chess champions, although I already understand all the rules so that might limit any enjoyment of learning the moves.

I was struck by the artistic presentation of the book overall. Excellent and colorful images throughout the book make it a visual treat for chess aficionados and beginners
Finley Neal I
Dec 22, 2008 Finley Neal I rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Those looking to refine their chess skills.
Recommended to Finley by: Found it at the library.
Chess:From first moves to checkmate is an excellent book to study for improving your chess skills or learning a little more about the game in general. The book discusses the origins of chess & it's evolution to the game we have today.

I learned some of the language of chess used especially in tournament play. I now better understand reasons behind certain moves. My previous mindset was more towards attack & conquer as I would do in a board game. Chess is different & takes more calcula
David LeDoux
Sep 22, 2010 David LeDoux rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chess
I think this book will make a great primer for anyone (of any age) who wants to learn to play chess. The graphics make the book visually enticing and the author does a very good job of covering topics such as -- chess basics, history, special moves, tactics and strategy. Training exercises and test positions are even offered; along with a handful of websites listing internet sources of chess for further perusal. In this updated edition, Daniel King introduces the game in an exciting fashion.
Tiffany
Okay, yeah, so it was in the children's section of the library. It still covered the basics in a nice, introductory way. Plus, the illustrations were really striking.
Shayne
Jan 22, 2015 Shayne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: real-book
Crazy illustrations, but gets into a good overview of cool concepts like the fork and skewer (no other kitchen implements, alas). Short and glitzy but still full of some useful stuff.
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2011
Alicia
Alicia rated it did not like it
May 20, 2010
Marit
Marit rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2014
Alexia George
Alexia George rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2016
James
James rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2014
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2012
KRidwyn
KRidwyn rated it really liked it
May 07, 2017
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2015
Mirella Ducasteele
Mirella Ducasteele rated it it was ok
Jun 23, 2017
Alejandra
Alejandra rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2011
Kristof
Kristof rated it liked it
May 26, 2013
Oscar
Oscar rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2014
Marla
Marla rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2011
Sophie Chapman
Sophie Chapman rated it really liked it
Oct 17, 2011
Danielle Meitiv
Danielle Meitiv rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2016
Hannah Williams
Hannah Williams rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Michael Chiu
Michael Chiu rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Karen Cushing
Karen Cushing rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2013
Alexsander
Alexsander rated it did not like it
May 17, 2014
Corinne
Corinne rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2011
Dj
Dj rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2017
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2012