Start by marking “Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate” as Want to Read:
Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate

Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  5 reviews
"The perfect guide for both beginners and more advanced players."
Published April 15th 2001 by Kingfisher (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Chess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chess

midnightfaerie
Chess: From First Moves to Checkmate by Daniel King (pun intended?) was an excellent book. At first I had misgivings, I'm embarrassed to admit, because of the size and shape of the book. Usually books that are thinner and larger in size are mostly made for good illustrations, which this most certainly had, but with less meaningful content. This wasn't so. For a beginner, like myself, it had great and very helpful content. It started with the basics but quickly moved to strategic moves and proble ...more
David Natiuk
This was a great mix of beginning chess instruction, some introductory puzzles, and a little on the history and drama of chess champions through the ages. My favorite part of the book was indeed the overview of chess champions, although I already understand all the rules so that might limit any enjoyment of learning the moves.

I was struck by the artistic presentation of the book overall. Excellent and colorful images throughout the book make it a visual treat for chess aficionados and beginners
Finley Neal I
Jan 03, 2009 Finley Neal I rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those looking to refine their chess skills.
Recommended to Finley by: Found it at the library.
Chess:From first moves to checkmate is an excellent book to study for improving your chess skills or learning a little more about the game in general. The book discusses the origins of chess & it's evolution to the game we have today.

I learned some of the language of chess used especially in tournament play. I now better understand reasons behind certain moves. My previous mindset was more towards attack & conquer as I would do in a board game. Chess is different & takes more calcula
David LeDoux
I think this book will make a great primer for anyone (of any age) who wants to learn to play chess. The graphics make the book visually enticing and the author does a very good job of covering topics such as -- chess basics, history, special moves, tactics and strategy. Training exercises and test positions are even offered; along with a handful of websites listing internet sources of chess for further perusal. In this updated edition, Daniel King introduces the game in an exciting fashion.
Shayne
Crazy illustrations, but gets into a good overview of cool concepts like the fork and skewer (no other kitchen implements, alas). Short and glitzy but still full of some useful stuff.
Carson
Carson added it
Jan 28, 2015
Owais
Owais marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Jazz
Jazz added it
Nov 14, 2014
Lynsey
Lynsey marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014
Sonya K.
Sonya K. marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Dorsi
Dorsi marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Jella Erhard
Jella Erhard marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Naree
Naree marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Ashish
Ashish added it
Feb 01, 2014
Cheyosr
Cheyosr marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Gracemolina
Gracemolina marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2013
Roxann
Roxann added it
Sep 19, 2013
Sash Chernukh
Sash Chernukh marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2013
Rob
Rob marked it as to-read
May 07, 2013
Kasparov v Deeper Blue: The Ultimate Man v Machine Challenge How to Win at Chess (Cadogan Chess Books) Mastering The Spanish Winning With the Najdorf How Good Is Your Chess?