What's Age Got to Do with It?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life

What's Age Got to Do with It?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  35 reviews
What's age got to do with it?

Absolutely nothing!

Though it's her husband, Dr. Phil, who has his own nationally-syndicated talk show, Robin McGraw's appearances on the show draw thousands of questions from viewers of all ages who want to know how she looks and feels so fabulous at the age of fifty-five.

In "What's Age Got to Do with it?," Robin shares her journey, including t...more
Published December 1st 2008 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about What's Age Got to Do with It?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What's Age Got to Do with It?

Lain
Want to know what makeup a mature woman must have? Need tips on incorporating exercise into your life? Looking for hints on looking sharp as you age? Then you just may want to pick up "What's Age Got to Do with It?" by Dr. Phil's wife, Robin. In a series of chapters she tackles exercise, hormones, nutrition, makeup, and more.

I liked this book much better than Robin McGraw's previous "lifestyle" book, although I still found hints of the things that bugged me in "Inside My Heart." She still writes...more
Jill
I'm not a fan of Dr. Phil or his wife Robin but I picked this up on a whim from the library. There wasn't really any information that I hadn't heard before but she did remind me to continue wearing sunscreen and stay out of the sun.
Shari
I'm only 1/2 way into this book but I can tell now EVERY woman NO MATTER THEIR AGE should read this book! How I wish I had this book back when I was in my late 20's to read. It doesn't matter if you are 20, 25, 35, 40 or even 60 - you will relate to something in this book. It may even change how you take care of yourself.

I love Robin. If you do not like her husband, Dr. Phil, please DO NOT judge her on him because she's nothing like him. I adore her. She writes as if she's sitting at your kitch...more
Andrea
I heard about this book when Ms. McGraw appeared several months ago on the Oprah Winfrey show to talk about her experiences with bioidentical hormone replacement therapy. I borrowed the book from the local library, and after reading it, was glad I had not spent money to purchase it.

The chapter on bioidentical hormones was a rehash of what she had said on Oprah, that she wasn't willing to just "accept" the diagnosis of menopause and after much research, she decided to start on a protocol of bioi...more
Stephanie
I received a copy of What's Age Got To Do With It? by Robin McGraw from Thomas Nelson Publishers. I must admit: I may be the only person in the United States that has never watched an episode of the Dr. Phil show or Oprah. My knowledge of Dr. Phil is based on his guest appearance on Sesame Street with Dr. Feel. That said, I know even less about his wife, Robin.

I have to say that although this type of book is not something that I normally pick up, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Robin is a passionate ad...more
Lisha
Ever wonder how some women look like they have never aged, no matter how long it has been since you last saw them? I do, and I want to know their secrets! In this book on how to take care of yourself, inside and out, Robyn McGraw does just that: gives us all the inside secrets to how she stays young looking and fit despite the ticking of the clock. One of my favorite sections is on watching what you eat. Not just for weight loss but for total health. Eating with a purpose in mind of getting thos...more
Leslie
I absolutely loved this book and this was definitely my time to read it. Robin McGraw is inspiring and fun! Every time I sat down to read it I felt like I was sitting down for a chat with a close friend; a friend with more wisdom and experience who was sharing her passion for life with me. Truly her passion and energy are contagious!

I know I will come back to this book again and again and I very much appreciate Robin's encouragement to become an active manager and advocate of my own health and w...more
Connie Easlick
Boy, does she know all about it! Aging has nothing on this woman! I loved this book, borrowed from the library, and copied some of the pages to keep for reference. She talks about healthy foods, exercising, dressing, make-up, hair, and how she knows all this. She references experts and her experiences. I have already been working on making myself a better person using her help in this book.
She is a genuine wonder of the modern world. I love her!
I hope I can feel and look and be as good a person...more
Diane
I read this book today primarily because I had seen her on Oprah a few months ago talking about natural hormone therapy and I wanted to research that subject in more detail for my own personal information.

A lot of this book could be skimmed over quickly but she did have a lot of good information on menopause, perimenopause, diet and exercise. Let's face it, for 55 years old, she does look darn good! She also has the resources available to her for the best information.

Again, it's a very quick re...more
Linda Hartlaub
If you got this book for free, you paid too much!
LuAnn
The price of this book was worth it for the information about the symptoms when my estrogen and progesterone are low. Now if I can only find a doctor who will do the blood tests to determine my exact levels so I can know my treatment options! Robin's easy-going presentation was interesting and instructional on a variety of topics, and it was also nice to learn that it's still okay to wear my hair long or up in a ponytail, even though I'll also soon be 55.
Josh L
You can find my full review at Quieted Waters.

As a 22-year old male, in the prime of his life, I was certainly not the target of a book written by a 55-year old woman describing how to feel your best at any age. I wasn’t the target audience, yet I came away surprised at how much I enjoyed What’s Age Got to Do with It? by Robin McGraw.
Christina
I thoroughly enjoyed this book from Robin McGraw! She explains that age really IS just a number and that anyone can be healthy and happy, at any age. She is positive and writes with a truly loving sense. We all have much to learn about life, and Robin has many ideas and thoughts on how to further grow ourselves. We all can be happy/healthy and this book gives you that extra "nudge" to think differently and grow. Very good book!
Stacy Nix
Nice well done book.
Anne
Robin's inspiration for her good health habits came from her mother dying young. She has good suggestions for fitness, health and appearance. I found the book relevant even though I'm not 55 yet. Menopause was different for her than most American women because she could afford a variety of doctors and synthetic hormone replacement. This was an easy read and worthwhile.
Kathie
I picked this book up at the library on a whim. I'm 53 and thought, heck, don't have anything to lose. Even though quite a bit of the information, such as wearing sunscreen, is or should be common knowledge, her description of her life dealing with these issues was very amusing. I'm an avid fan of the library, I don't buy many books, but this one is a must buy.
Jodi
I am not a big fan of Dr. Phil and cant say that I really have ever watched him. I found this book on a Christian book flier ad and thought it might be interesting. I was interesting ready. I read most of it and skimmed some of it. Im not big into fashion or makeup, but she had good tips for ways to improve your health.
Tracey
I LOVED LOVED LOVED this book! It's been a promise to myself to lead a healthy lifestyle & take good care of myself so I can be around to watch my family grow. This book is a great book for all women to read, as she talks about very important things related to our health & beauty. I just loved it!
Angel
I heard about robin's book when i was watching the dr. phil show. good book. chapter 5: what's hormones got to do with it?, was the chapter that interest me since i am 35. i didn't realize menopause starts at age 40 and as early as 35 so i went and got me some books on the subject.
Elizabeth
Nothing really that I didn't know. I was weary of the cheerleading type of message and tone. Her lifestyle is out of touch with the common folk. Why does she feel the need for all that makeup? Her intentions are good but I was not the intended audience for this book.
Teresa
Enjoyed hearing her perspective on health, aging, etc. She's a spunky little thing that is very comfortable in her skin. A good example for middle aged women everywhere. She leans toward holistic/natural remedies...which I do also, so it's fun to hear her ideas.
Suzette
I loved this book for it's practical and specific advice. I am all about prevention, and this book really gives great tips on how to look and feel great at any age. My favorite chapter was on hormones, lots of "ah-hah" moments. She really has her act together.
Rhonda
Most of this advice is "old stuff", even the chapters on peri-and menopause. (I read a lot)

I like her, though, so it was an "ok" read. If you haven't read a lot on aging, there is some pretty good advice in here, and it's well worth reading.

Donald
Another "how to live your life" book from a celebrity. Some of the tips she has are okay, but in general, it's more of the same. Eat this, don't eat that, exercise regularly, don't put bad stuff on your face or in your hair, blah blah blah.
Jenny
Definitely not a must-read; some good info about menopause, but it's basically just all of the stuff she does in her beauty and health routine. I did learn that she layers on 4 different kinds of mascara, how insane is that? :)
Dawn
Robin looks really good for her age and takes care of herself. A lot of the information I already knew but she had a lot of good tips on nutrition, makeup, and good health for all women.
Mima.
Amazing book! Robin is so down to earth and speaks very honestly in this book about aging and life. I really feel that she's a great roll model for women of all ages.
Cynthia
Mrs. Dr. Phil's manifesto on how to live your best at 55+. Chapter Five has information worth pursuing on hormones past menopause. The rest is a little ditsy.
Fenixbird SandS
Aug 10, 2009 Fenixbird SandS marked it as to-read
Recommended to Fenixbird by: Robin McGraw on The Doctors
Deals with the medical/physiological changes brought on by peri-menopause and with menopause (cessation of estrus)
Shirley Brosius
Lots of good tips for managing the senior years. A bit heavy on the product information.
Inside My Heart: Choosing to Live with Passion and Purpose From My Heart to Yours: Life Lessons on Faith, Family, & Friendship Inside My Heart Guided Journal: Choosing to Live with Passion and Purpose Inside My Heart What's Age Got to Do with It?: Living Your Healthiest and Happiest Life