Start by marking “The Unscrupulous Uncle” as Want to Read:
The Unscrupulous Uncle

The Unscrupulous Uncle (Jack Caldwell #1)

She had adored her older brother's best friend since childhood, but that was long ago. Now an orphan in a household that has reduced her to stocking servitude, he has suddenly returned. But why does he propose marriage, when it is clear that he loves another? Is he paying a secret debt, or simply intent on making a fortune through her? She must quickly find answers, even i ...more
Published November 1st 1997 by Signet (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Unscrupulous Uncle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unscrupulous Uncle

Michelle
Apr 12, 2009 Michelle rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: masochists
Shelves: posted
Damon promised his best friend Peter Braxton that he would take care of his sister should anything happen to him. And of course, Peter dies in Portugal.
Around the same time, Peter's father died as well, leaving Peter's uncle heir to the title (Baron, I believe). However, Peter's father, ticked off because Peter ran off to war, left everything to his sister Catherine.
In comes the unscrupulous uncle - he cut Catherine off from all her friends, told Damon she was engaged etc.
Damon, although he mad
Lydia Gastrell
Apr 26, 2015 Lydia Gastrell rated it it was ok
I'm giving this one two stars, as opposed to just one, because I loved the setup. The first half of this book is actually amazing. I really did not see the nature of the uncle's crimes coming--though I knew it was something--and the manner in which the family is presented and her dull life created is pretty realistically shown. It's when Damon shows up to save the day that the story goes to pot.

Thwarting the schemes of the main villain should not have taken place smack dab in the middle of the
Lynne Tull
Apr 15, 2012 Lynne Tull rated it liked it
Shelves: regency-romance
I love reading these old Signet paperbacks. The book is more about the H/H and their story than about activities in the bedroom. Also, Allison Lane is good at putting us in the time period without us feeling we are reading a history book. All of the history is portrayed through the experiences of the various characters. It flows seamlessly with the story line. I did have a little trouble keeping track all of the characters as some of their stories weren't connected very well to the H/H when they ...more
Hopefulpuffin
Not my favorite. I really didn't like Damon at all. My main reason for reading it was that it comes first in the series and I want to read the other two books.

However, I wonder if I should have bothered as Jack, the hero of book three, mentions he's already married in this one.

I really need a chart of Lane's characters as they pop up throughout all of her novels and I can never remember which book they appeared in (with the notable exception of Thomas Mannering).
Carrie
Carrie rated it really liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Barbra
Barbra rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2008
Artifact
Artifact rated it liked it
Sep 10, 2015
Delia
Delia rated it really liked it
Sep 29, 2009
Patchworkpenguin
Patchworkpenguin rated it it was ok
Mar 30, 2015
Brittney
Brittney rated it really liked it
May 09, 2011
Nancy
Nancy rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Vampire-lk
Vampire-lk rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2013
Suzi
Suzi rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2012
Susannah Carleton
Susannah Carleton rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2011
Patricia Guy
Patricia Guy rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2016
Shauna
Shauna rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2009
S.J. Himes
S.J. Himes rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2015
Karate1kid
Karate1kid rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2012
Kodelle
Kodelle rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Gaye Elder
Gaye Elder rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2015
Kety
Kety rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2015
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2012
Roxy Alice
Roxy Alice rated it it was ok
Jan 07, 2014
Lrwhalin
Lrwhalin rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Kristy145
Kristy145 rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2015
Enigma Monkey
Enigma Monkey rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Catsalive
Catsalive rated it liked it
Nov 17, 2015
Arati
Arati rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2010
TX Reader
TX Reader rated it liked it
Dec 28, 2011
Allison Lane is the author of 20 Regency novels and 6 novellas. She is a Holt Medallion Winner and the 2005 Romantic Times Career Achievement Award Winner, as well as National Readers' Choice Awards Finalist for three books.

Notes from Allison Lane:

I am not one of those who always wanted to be a writer, though I suspect I wanted to be just about everything else -- doctor, astronaut, artist, scienti
More about Allison Lane...

Jack Caldwell (3 books)